Code of Conduct

Default Help Me Sample Vetiver

I want to explore the note of vetiver, since I enjoy it so much in Habanita. I am ordering samples from TPC: Vetiver Tonka, Guerlain Vetiver, SL Vetiver Oriental, Tauer Vetiver Dance.

Are there any major vetiver fragrances that I'm overlooking?
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Default Re: Help Me Sample Vetiver

I suggest trying Jo Malone Vetyver. It is a simple and very nice treatment of vetiver, neither too grassy, too soapy, or too earthy. Just right IMO.
    If you can try Givenchy Vetiver, I like it better than Guerlain. They are similar, but I find Guerlain a little too heavy and soapy. Givenchy has a fresh lemony note that keeps it lively.
    I think vetiver is an excellent note to explore. It can be done in so many different styles.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

The Different Company Sel de Vetiver! It's salty, green, and multifaceted. It's become my favorite vetiver, and knowing you love Habanita makes me think you'll like it. :-)
    Last edited by Tovah; 5th November 2008 at 02:58 AM.

Guerlain Vetitver is absolutely amazing. I am also very charmed by CdG Vettiveru. I am on the hunt, too, and have not found the HG vetiver yet!

Please try Annick Goutal's Vetiver. It starts out quite salty with an iodine and seaweed note, but the note blends so harmoniously with the nature of vetiver, which itself can be a bit salty. This lends a dry, slightly ocean side beach quality to the top notes (but *nothing* like a traditional aquatic). This note continously fades over the first half an hour and the vetiver rears its smokey head, and the whole thing becomes deeper and yes, a bit smokey, but is still 'light' in a sense, it never feels heavy or overbearing. It smells very very natural, and even my mom, who generally doesn't like more of the crazy scents I have her sniff (she loves Angel and many simple mainstream choices), absolutely loved it. I didn't tell her anything about it except the name. Her first comment was "Wow, this smells really good, sort of like standing by the ocean," and then just kept saying it got better and better as time went on.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I agree with Luca Turin for once that Guerlain Vetiver is the reference vetiver!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I don't know where you live, but everywhere in the U.S. is Axe men's deodorant. And they have a new line called Proximity, and it has a very nice vetiver deodorant spray. Just a plain vetiver note, very stripped-down and nice. Nothing expensive about it, but probably the best (non-antiperspirant) deodorant around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    The Different Company Sel de Vetiver! It's salty, green, and multifaceted. It's become my favorite vetiver, and knowing you love Habanita makes me think you'll like it. :-)
    I thought of this one but am afraid of the saltiness. I have a decant of Eau des Merveilles and all I smell is salt. Which I don't like.
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL

Vetiver isn't a note I particularly like, but I love Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. Also, Baiser du Dragon has a ton of the stuff in the bottom, smoothed out with sweetness. MPG Route du Vetiver is a wet vetiver paired with a hedgerow and is quite pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Vetiver isn't a note I particularly like, but I love Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire. Also, Baiser du Dragon has a ton of the stuff in the bottom, smoothed out with sweetness. MPG Route du Vetiver is a wet vetiver paired with a hedgerow and is quite pleasant.

How's the oakmoss in MVE? I flee oakmoss. It's what stands between me and Mitsouko.

Okay, I've added the Guerlain reissue to my list, and Jo Malone. Keep the suggestions coming ladies. this is great.

L'encre noir? I sampled a bunch of vetivers with my husband, and this was his favorite -- it does have a mysterious slightly inky smell and the bottle is cool.