Code of Conduct

Exclamation Home Fragrancing: Lavender Fields Forever

Home Fragrancing: Lavender Fields Forever

Marcy Goldman kicks off our brand new home fragrancing column with a look at lavender. Marcy takes a look at its history and usage as well as recommending some ways lavender can enhance your home.

More...

Default Re: Home Fragrancing: Lavender Fields Forever

I loved this article! Marcy really covered all bases and I enjoyed her writing style. I look forward to more from her.
    Anya McCoy - http://anyasgarden.com/
    Best of the Best awards - Perfume: MoonDance, StarFlower, Amberess, Light, Royal Lotus and as
    Project Leader: Outlaw Perfume and Mystery of Musk
    Basic Perfumery Course with lifetime access to the website - http://perfumeclasses.com
    America's First Natural Perfume Line 1991
    First Artisan Perfumer Voted in as member of the American Society of Perfumery 2013

It's nice to have a whole article devoted to lavender. Three of the author's statements surprised me, and I would like to hear more details and see how solid these statements really are:

1. "English, French and Spanish are its botanical trio of roots and it is the last which is the one most relied on for essential oils." - What actually is meant by that botanical trio of roots?
    One would expect to find wild lavender in Spain, because it is a Mediteranian plant after all. But I was not aware that Spanish lavender oils would have a particular fame and be widely used outside its homeland. By the way: it also wasn't the Romans who brought lavender to Spain and France! The recommendable Wikipedia article on Lavender says that Spanish lavender is used in landscaping. Thankfully, that article also includes a few warnings concerning lavender applications. Where actually is lavender cultivated in Spain?

2. "England has a plethora of lavender farms and companies..." - Where are farms of any nominable size located ? And while in the UK: how about Scotland?

3. "According to Luca Turin, in his book, Perfumes The Guide" the best lavender is from the monks of Caldey Island, South Wales."

I guess the author means the perfume, not the lavender fields or any oil, because only oils from southern France are used to make the Caldey Lavender: “Excellent grades of steam-distilled lavender oil come from all over the world, but adding just the right amount of other stuff to turn lavender into a real perfume is tricky… Caldey Island Lavender has an exquisite quiet, musky drydown. It was composed by Flemish freelance perfumer Hugo Collumbien, now 89 years old. I called him up to ask how he did it, and he explained he used the best stuff from Sault, in the Vaucluse.“ (Luca Turin in NZZ Folio of September 2006).
    Last edited by narcus; 26th December 2008 at 02:32 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

L'Occitane has a nice Lavender Home Perfume.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Has anyone tried the Millefiori range of home fragrances. The Lavender is beautiful. I have been using this at home (bedroom and dining room) for about 18 months.

I only know UK sites such as www.kiarie.co.uk/CAT_ListCategories.aspx?cid=176