Code of Conduct

Default What Blind Buy at Marshalls & TJ Maxx

I just saw a few options at Marshalls and TJ (more than I usually see).

Azzaro PH
    Azzaro Onyx
    Azzaro pure Vetiver
    Azzaro Pure Lavender
    Azzaro Pure Cedrat
    Paul Smith Story
    Michael Germain Deuville (I think Bloomingdales is the only place that sells this)
    Versace Blue Jeans
    Emanuel Ungaro Apparition Intense
    Bulgari BLV blu pour homme

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What Blind Buy at Marshalls & TJ Maxx

My husband loves Azzaro Pure Vetiver. It's more of an aquatic scent than a vetiver IMO but he likes it.

I tested the Azzaro Pure line after seeing them at Marshall's and I was pleasantly surprised. I never would have tried them if I hadn't seen them for so cheap. Turns out I like them. I am always leary of purchasing from the discount stores because I have been burned 3 times with older, weaker frags. I went ahead and got the Lavender and it is a perfectly potent bottle. I will go back and get the other two to complete the set. This Vetiver is the only vetiver titled frag that doesn't make me ill. Cedrat was nicely blended as well.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I bought Azzaro pH at Winners (canada's version of marshall's/TJM) and I am not disappointed at all. Very nice, musky old school fragrance.

Out of all those, personally id probably go with the Bulgari, only if it was a great deal though
    Last edited by FlyingLotus; 5th November 2008 at 05:20 PM.

both azzaro ph and blue jeans are frags that i own and like alot!

None of those are truly outstanding except Azzaro pour Homme.

Blue Jeans and Story are fairly decent frags, though.

After some research I agree with Sir Slarty. Blue Jeans and Story are decent. Azzaro PH is a classic but not really my cup of tea. Maybe I won't buy anything even if they all are pretty cheap. They probably will just sit on my dresser. Thank you eveyone for your help.

Azzaro PH is a classic. It doesn't work on me, but I can appreciate why it is well respected.

Azzaro Pure Lavender is a nice combination of vanilla and lavender. It is derided here at BN, but it is a consistent compliment getter when I wear it. Pure Vetiver is a nice fresh warm weather scent.

Paul Smith Story is quite good.Very green and fresh. Subsatntially more intersting than most designer releases.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    After some research I agree with Sir Slarty. Blue Jeans and Story are decent. Azzaro PH is a classic but not really my cup of tea. Maybe I won't buy anything even if they all are pretty cheap. They probably will just sit on my dresser. Thank you eveyone for your help.
    Look at him... being all wise, making sense and stuff. How dare you?

Azzaro Onyx is suprisingly high in quality and exceptionally versatile
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    Azzaro Onyx is suprisingly high in quality and exceptionally versatile
    Agreed. The only one on the list that would tempt me.

Azzaro PH , without doubts. Zero risk.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't think Paul Smith Story was great. After reading the reviews when I first started out in fragrances, I saw a bottle at Marshalls and snatched it up. The bottle itself is great but the scent is not. The fragrance is so fleeting. I sprayed it on and only got some sort of light grassy and grapefruit type smell. That's at least how I remember it. I didn't know a fragrance could be so light and airy. It's almost as if you're not wearing a fragrance at all. I recently saw a bottle for $15 and still didn't think it was worth it. Nothing special. I say skip this one despite the overrated reviews.
    Last edited by Ronin; 6th November 2008 at 02:40 AM.

gmm150: This is probably one of the few times a Basnoter has either A) not purchased a new frag despite the affordable price or B) logged onto BN and after recieving advice, chose not to drop a lot of cash on recommendations.

Seriously, I agree. I own tons of stuff cos it was cheap while my real wishlist gets neglected cos I'm broke from bargain hunting for mediocre frags.

I thought the Pure Lavender I got at TJM was kinda feminine, not herbal at all.
    The PS Story is the poor man's Mugler Cologne (which is the poor man's Creed OV), although I like 'em all.

Azzaro PH and Blue Jeans would be worth having around, but I understand being practical.
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

I agree that you shouldn't just go bargain hunting. I find that most of the selection at Marshalls I can easily be without. Do some research and buy things that you really like. Most of the fragrances you'll be most interested in they won't even sell at places like Marshalls. You can look at online shopping but be sure they are reputable. Amazon has good deals but be sure you're buying from Amazon themselves and not some other dealers. You can even see if you can sign up for free 2-Day shipping so you can get your fragrances quicker.

Blog Entries

Story's aight. I like TM Cologne better. That's why I'm fiendin' for that one over Story. Story was nice, but it didn't have the same staying power and it's not as smooth as TM.

I guess I am cheap but I know what it is like to buy a fragrance that I soon to realize I shouldn't have purchased. I would rather get 1 awesome fragrance than 3 crappy ones.

I always stop by TJ's to check out the bargains but rarely buy anything. As a number of people have said upthread: the individual frags may be cheaper, but why blow your budget on stuff you don't really want instead of saving for stuff you do.

So far my only TJMaxx purchase has been Grey Flannel (bought blind). I'm happy I have it, but it's not one I reach for all that often.

I've been tempted by both Opium PH and Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui (a bottle of each has been sitting around my local TJ's for a while), but since they're not really on my wishlist, why buy them?

Oscar Pour Lui is nothing special. I wouldn't bother. It has been reformulated since being introduced in the 1980s like most older fragrances. I think I will stop going to these stores since it's the same stuff over and over again. Occasionally they got something new but it's still not something that really interests me. I bought Bulgari The Rouge from T.J. Maxx back in August and liked it for a bit but I think it suits a woman much more so I haven't worn it in a while. There are a few good fragrances available like Boss Bottled, Polo Double Black, Polo Explorer and a few Lacostes. The Boss Bottled and Polo Double Black soon dissapeared quickly. There are various Burberry fragrances but the prices aren't bargains on them.

My only solid buy I'd say is a 1.7 oz. bottle of B*Men with the rubber flask that I was able to find clearanced for $12 at T.J. Maxx. I like Azzaro pour Homme and bought a 1 oz. bottle at Marshalls but I swear it must have been reformulated because the strength is weak. It starts out strong but fades quickly. I think I'm done trying to buy older fragrances because they have most likely been reformulated. I will just do my shopping on Amazon after doing extensive research on which fragrances I want on Basenotes.