Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 519 (100%)

Default Scammer Alert and General marketplace advice UPDATE

Please be advised that "oilman" aka "smellgood44" and LotusKing have been identified as Basenotes scammers. We will make every effort to issue further alerts regarding any other identities used by this person and any other such scammers. Please be further advised that it is always wise to ask another to ship first if they have little or no feedback. If you have low feedback, it may be additionally wise to deal with established members first to build up your feedback to a respectable level. Although feedback is no guarantee of reliability, it is the best system currently available here as well as on Ebay.
    Last edited by stuigi; 15th May 2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: new alert

Default Re: Scammer Alert

Thanx Stu. it would be also appropriate to add that; trading with users who have zero endorsements is not atall advisable as long as the seller is willing to ship the items first.
    Last edited by jenson; 6th November 2008 at 05:51 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 519 (100%)

Sure, I will be adding some other guidelines soon.

tsk tsk... now that's just not nice at all...

Default Re: Scammer Alert and general marketplace advice

Thanks for the heads up Stu.

I recently had the misfortune of getting scammed by a Basenotes member - and he had 8 positive feedbacks at the time. He basically took my funds via Paypal, didn't ship the bottle, and refused to communicate with me or with Paypal - who eventually refunded my money through its dispute process.

Caveat emptor!
    Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    I recently had the misfortune of getting scammed by a Basenotes member - and he had 8 positive feedbacks at the time. He basically took my funds via Paypal, didn't ship the bottle, and refused to communicate with me or with Paypal - who eventually refunded my money through its dispute process.

Caveat emptor!
    Teddius
    Yes. The beauty of Paypal. That's why it's not so worrisome to deal with strangers.

If Paypal is unable to collect from you, they turn over your debt to a collection agency and trash your credit bureau reports and close your account. Game over.

Feedback 51 (89%)

As a fairly new seller with a few sales under my belt now, I would never even think of shipping before accepting a payment via paypal. With respect to a trade I would not even consider trading with someone with 0 feedback unless I got the item first; not a chance in hell, I would be too worried the whole time. I think if everyone does the same then we should be fine.

Blog Entries

That's funny, smellgood44 PMed me a while back about my swappable items using a brand new Unforgivable Black (he got as a gift) as the item he wanted to swap. Good thing I really lost interest in Unforgivable Black.

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 519 (100%)

If you set your time period at the bottom of the page for 75 days you will get maximum accuracy in the marketplace.

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 519 (100%)

Default Scammer Alert and General marketplace advice

LotusKing has been identified as a scammer. Once again, please be carefull to check feedback before shipping.
    Last edited by stuigi; 9th March 2009 at 09:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scammer Alert and General marketplace advice

Crossposting this from the swap board, it's not as relevant here but it's still good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post
    Instead, he'll ask you, "Please don't send with signature confirmation. I'm at work during the day and so won't be able to pick it up. The mailman will leave it at my house, so I don't need the confirmation."
    For future reference, dear readers, this is completely false. USPS Delivery Confirmation does not require a signature, it's merely scanned when it's received and when it goes out for delivery, no signature is ever required. If someone tries this tactic with you they're looking to steal from you and your best bet is to cut your losses (time in correspondence) and stop negotiating the transaction.

It is still relevant to a sale because if you use PayPal and don't cover yourself with Delivery Confirmation, the buyer is entirely able to file a chargeback and claim it was never shipped. The price of Delivery Confirmation is less than a can of soda; not getting it means you have no proof whatsoever the item was sent.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 9th March 2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Basenotes Plus

I just want to repeat what Stuigi has already said: until someone is well established here with the feedback system, ask them to please SHIP THEIR END FIRST and wait until you get it to pay or to ship your end.

Some members have been swaplifted or otherwise ripped off. Swaplifting is MAIL FRAUD - A FEDERAL CRIME. If you have been victimized, try to work it out first by communicating the problem on postcards (shame is sometimes effective). Then contact their local police department. Lastly, use the following links to file charges: https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/f...Complaint.aspx
    http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
    Last edited by socalwoman; 12th March 2009 at 03:32 PM.

Just to be clear USPS Signature Confirmation does require a signature. Regular Delivery Confirmation does not unless the post master thinks it is unsafe to leave a package at the location unattended. This is usually the case in apartment buildings and areas with high reports of stolen packages. If you are shipping a high value item it is wise to get a signature and insurance and if possible use a more reliable carrier such as UPS or Fedex that has detailed tracking. Just some thoughts. With scams, mail theft, and mail rifling on the rise, you should spend a little extra money to make sure your items gets to its destination safely.

I just had the exact same thing happen with a member who has 8 pos feedback items. I wonder if it is the same scammer? Email me and I'll tell you who it is.
    David
    You let me be in your dream and I'll let you be in mine...
    Bob Dylan

Feedback 97 (100%)

I am aware of a member who collected money and never sent their end. They refunded the buyers' purchase price after a paypal claim was filed. This member has good feedback and an active sale thread. PM me for information.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I am aware of a member who collected money and never sent their end. They refunded the buyers' purchase price after a paypal claim was filed. This member has good feedback and an active sale thread. PM me for information.
    And this is why watchdog threads make me a little uneasy, because I had a recent sale that could look like this on the surface to someone who didn't have all the facts. An overseas package went AWOL, I refunded the buyer (no claim was filed), two months later the poor, bedraggled package showed up on my doorstep, and everything worked out fine.

If a seller has good feedback from other established Basenoters, I would hope interested buyers would get both sides of a transaction conflict before judging one way or another.
    Last edited by tang; 9th April 2009 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post

Why is this guy banned ??
    just because he tried to alert people??
    and how come the moderators dont alert US here?? how is the next one?? me?
    are u going to bann me becuse i ask this question ??

It may just be a temporary ban for doing something a bit inappropriate.

Note that if you are "swaplifted" there is a site you can report it on, to warn others:

http://swaplifters.watson-wilson.ca/
    Last edited by Bigsly; 9th April 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It may just be a temporary ban for doing something a bit inappropriate.

Note that if you are "swaplifted" there is a site you can report it on, to warn others:

http://swaplifters.watson-wilson.ca/
    could be!

But i also got few warning and i have been told that i will be banned just for the fact i bumped
    my sale theread 2 many times. some time simpel thing get very big names like VIOLATION too easy
    IMO.

I don't think it had anything to do with this thread, or my response to bbBD's post. At least I hope it didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    could be!

But i also got few warning and i have been told that i will be banned just for the fact i bumped
    my sale theread 2 many times. some time simpel thing get very big names like VIOLATION too easy
    IMO.

MO, bbBD was banned for some other incident and it had nothing to do with this post here.

Blog Entries

bbBD is banned? Wow. I am sure the moderators must have their reasons. But I haven't seen anything even mildly extreme that might be violating regulations from bbBD on the boards.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Feedback 51 (89%)

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    Why is this guy banned ??
    just because he tried to alert people??
    and how come the moderators dont alert US here?? how is the next one?? me?
    are u going to bann me becuse i ask this question ??

Now, lets not jump to conclusions here.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    MO, bbBD was banned for some other incident and it had nothing to do with this post here.
    i feel bad about this!
    he is such a nice person. i only can say this from my side of vieuw.
    i dont know about moderators or what ever reason that is enough to ban a guy
    who won a price for being best active memmber. it is very ironic that this guy is banned.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Now, lets not jump to conclusions here.
    well,

i see him as my friend somhow.
    so, i want to know what happend. u cant just bann some one like bbBD.

as i said i almost got banned just because i bumped my theread and also because
    i have told my opinion.

so, would be nice to clearefy thing for the rest of this "comunity".

The reason why was explained to you in private, as it should be. Repeated posts on a useful and totally unrelated thread is inappropriate. Let this go or take it to p.m.

Mo, please feel free to write to DustB. he will adress your concern in a way which is apt.

moreda, you can someone if they have done something wrong and im sure the mods had reasons and took into account the fact it was someone like bbBD.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    The reason why was explained to you in private, as it should be. Repeated posts on a useful and totally unrelated thread is inappropriate. Let this go or take it to p.m.
    i didnt know that any body could tell any body else some rules and also how to behaive!!
    wow!

anyway, i will contct some moderators about this , befor i get BANNED for talking openly.
    Last edited by moreda; 9th April 2009 at 09:15 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 519 (100%)

This thread is not intended for the general discussion of banned members. For the record, the member in question was not banned for marketplace violations. There were, however, many other reasons. After a very lengthy discussion by the mods, it was felt that this action was best for Basenotes. I am going to lock this thread for now as it has gone way off topic.
    Last edited by stuigi; 10th April 2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: bad spelling

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 519 (100%)

It has been determined that "nortelnetwork" is OILMAN! He has been banned again.
    Kenneth Gilbert (aka Meyers)
    5218 AMY ST.
    HOUSTON,TEXAS 77028
    Last edited by stuigi; 4th June 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 519 (100%)

supermarky has apparently returned as "perfumeperfection".

AromiErotici

I can only assume that supermarky is bad news heh?

Hi,

I bought something on September 22 from the member TheAttorney. I paid via PayPal and haven't heard from him since. Tried to file a claim through PayPal, but even though claim was decided in my favor, they will not refund my money. What else can I do?

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by annat6 View Post
    Hi,

I bought something on September 22 from the member TheAttorney. I paid via PayPal and haven't heard from him since. Tried to file a claim through PayPal, but even though claim was decided in my favor, they will not refund my money. What else can I do?
    Last activity was 9-22-09 on here. He's not answering messages? Did you post feedback for him?

Yes, I did post negative feedback after trying to get in touch with him for two weeks

AromiErotici

I have filed a few PP claims in my day and had to wait awhile for their decision, but every time it was decided in my favor, the monies were placed back into my account.

They sent me a message that since there is no money in his PayPal account, there is nothing they can do to recover the funds.

I have no complaint against this member, he promptly answered my PM before, but after Sept 22, nothing (I even emailed to his non-BN address). A mystery deepens...

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by annat6 View Post
    They sent me a message that since there is no money in his PayPal account, there is nothing they can do to recover the funds.
    That sucks for sure. For the time he was actively participating here, he was balls-to-the-wall. Sorry about you getting stiffed. I don't know what else you can do other than what you've done.
    Quote Originally Posted by fjord View Post
    I have no complaint against this member, he promptly answered my PM before, but after Sept 22, nothing (I even emailed to his non-BN address). A mystery deepens...
    Yes......it does......but, this needs to be rectified.

Angry Re: Scammer Alert and General marketplace advice

Yep, the Attorney got me too. I have filed a paypal claim against him and am awaiting a decision. I've been a member of this board for over 6 years and this is the first time I've ever been scammed.
    Last edited by acjigga; 19th October 2009 at 02:05 AM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Terre d'Hermes Parfum, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (vintage), Acqua di Parma Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

AromiErotici

Damn. I hope to God he's not an actual attorney.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

PayPal, an eBay owned company, only guarantees protection for buyers when buying eBay items and only then with certain buyer protection PayPal logos showing on the eBay sellers selling page, and then only if certain conditions are met by the buyer. Off-eBay buyers apparently are not always protected.

However...if you had used the US Mail in the transaction you might have grounds to initiate a mail fraud case with the Feds or if not the mails your PayPal account misuse might possibly be a banking or credit card scam, and any of those could be big trouble for anyone, including an 'attorney'. If I were he and such was the case and I happened to read this I would be getting a bit nervous. As a last resort consider going legal.

edit: And then again, maybe something has happened to him.
    Last edited by kbe; 19th October 2009 at 02:32 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

It's getting close to Christmas, scam artist are out in full force. Beware!

Unfortunately I was the buyer

AromiErotici

I see he burned 3 members in the recent past.

and had 58 positive ratings before!

AromiErotici

Yea.....I don't understand what the hell he's doing.

I paid him (TheAttorney) for an item on September 22. He didn't send the item, neither did he respond to my PMs and e-mails. I had no reason to doubt his integrity. He appears to be licensed to practice law in California, unless he is impersonating someone. Additionally, he had tens of positive ratings, until the more recent negative ratings. The most charitable explanation for his conduct is that something may have happened to him.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Now that I looked at the feedback left by another member, I realized that he was offering me a frag that another person had paid for. This doesn't look good.

AromiErotici

Now that I looked at the feedback left by another member, I realized that he was offering me a frag that another person had paid for. This doesn't look good.
    He tried getting me to buy GG minis more than once. I'm glad I wasn't interested at the time because he still had good feedback at the time.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by uli View Post
    I paid him (TheAttorney) for an item on September 22. He didn't send the item, neither did he respond to my PMs and e-mails. I had no reason to doubt his integrity. He appears to be licensed to practice law in California, unless he is impersonating someone. Additionally, he had tens of positive ratings, until the more recent negative ratings. The most charitable explanation for his conduct is that something may have happened to him.
    I've met TheAttorney on a few occasions, and even have his business card floating around in my office somewhere. He seems like a fine guy. I don't believe he's impersonating anyone, and it makes no sense for someone in his line of work to "scuttle the ship" in order to save a few bucks on bottles of smellies. His disappearance from BN also occurred less than a week after his self-reported 29th birthday. I think the larger concern here is that something may have happened to him. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Basenotes Plus
    Feedback 519 (100%)

supermarky is also posing as MALODORDOROR

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    supermarky is also posing as MALODORDOROR
    Thank you stu.

This is why I have been hesitant to give him a negative rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    ....I think the larger concern here is that something may have happened to him. Hopefully it's nothing serious.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

AromiErotici

I also tend to think that something may have happened to TheAttorney, and I hope he's ok.

Regarding what appears to be the same bottle going to different buyers--I happen to know that he had some backups for some of the things he was selling. I'm not sure that is what's going on, but it is a possible explanation.
    Last edited by Asha; 19th October 2009 at 03:29 AM.

Feedback 45 (100%) Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I also tend to think that something may have happened to TheAttorney, and I hope he's ok.
    Yes - didn't he have problems with an internet stalker? Spammed his workplace with nasty emails or something? I seem to recall something of that nature. It is a bit worrisome.

[...and I haven't really followed the marketplace sagas, so I don't understand the dangers of OILMAN and supermarky, but the names really seem to resonate with people! ]

Feedback 275 (100%)

Indeed I hopefully doubt he would not throw away a good reputation such as his for 3 "scams."
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!