Code of Conduct

Default Basenotes Note pyramid information

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where the basenotes information on a fragrance's notes comes from?
    ( the pyramid that is found just underneath the perfume name in the fragrance directory).

I bought several mini's to try out and looking up the notes on the internet I've come across a few conflicting note pyramids depending on the website.

I found great information on perfumes both on basenotes.net and on osmoz.com.
    I could imagine a few minor differences, but sometimes these two sites give a completely different pyramid!

For example the dreamer, but also Guerlain's Vetiver and probably many others:

The dreamer by versace - on basenotes:
    Top: Juniper, Lily
    Middle: Iris
    Base: Tobacco, Amber, Tarragon

The dreamer by versace - on osmoz.com
    Top: Clary sage, Lavander, Mandarin, Mace
    Middle:Tobacco, Geranium, Carnation, Rose
    base:Vetiver, cedar, Tonka, Fir

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Basenotes Note pyramid information

That's a good question, I look forward to more information on that too.
    I try to get information from the perfume house. Sometimes that is a pamphlet, often that from their website. My assumption is that that information will be most accurate. However, sometimes the producers choose to preserve the "mystique" of a scent and don't give full or any pyramid information. For example, the information in Jo Malone pamphlets and on the website is OK, some of the fragrance notes are listed. But the SAs have shown me their product knowledge booklets, and those have much more complete notes. If you can find knowledgeable SAs who are wiling to show you that sort of thing, you will find out so much.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Notes are what marketeers think you should interpret during the lifetime of the scent on your skin. It's their *opinion*. It is not an ingredient list, nor a be-all-end-all description of a scent.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Notes are what marketeers think you should interpret during the lifetime of the scent on your skin. It's their *opinion*. It is not an ingredient list, nor a be-all-end-all description of a scent.
    I interpreted the question differently, which was "where do the BN notes come from?".

Which begs a number of other questions that I'd ask:
    • Are the perfume pyramids obtained from the perfume house, from Basenotes reviewers, or other source?
    • Who inputs the information? Grant? Moderators?
    • Is the information ever updated to reflect new interpretations of the fragrance?
    • Can BN members suggest changes to the existing pyramids?
    Not that I disagree with the pyramids as they are, I'm just curious. Inquiring minds want to know!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 7th November 2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Snafoo on this one, that's how I understood the question.
    Sometimes there is no pyramid given for a fragrance. In that case, in my review I provide one if I can find it. Sometimes my research indicates notes different from or in addition to what is listed. I make mention of those.
    While I don't think fragrance notes & pyramid is the be-all and end-all of appreciating a scent, these are useful tools for me.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Re: Basenotes Note pyramid information

Thanks for the clarification Snafoo:
    an answer to all your additional questions would be nice...

Basically as a beginner it's really useful to have the notes information so that I can try to figure out which "ingredients" might be the ones that are making me like or dislike a fragrance. Although I realize that the way the ingredients are combined plays a huge role in what my nose is telling my brain!
    At least it's a guideline. I find perfumes just too expensive to buy a 30 or 50ml bottle just for "trying them out" and you can only get a feel for the top notes in a shop. Besides, if I walk into a perfume shop with the list of fragrances I'd like to try, I'd get thrown out! :-)

Seeing note pyramids that differ so much from each other makes it even more a hit and miss situation.
    I tried to check out the Versace website but unfortunately they give no information on the dreamer's fragrance notes....

It would be nice to have an idea of where the Basenotes information is coming from though!

cheers

Andy
    Last edited by AndreaD; 7th November 2008 at 09:33 PM.

You should pose this question in the Community Centre. Grant is the one who inputs all the information and he would be able to answer the question.