Code of Conduct

Last night was a good night. Me and my buddies went to the mall to hang out, have some dinner and do some people watching. As we walked past the Sephora I decided to take a peek inside, I wanted to see if they had any new men's frags and was especially interested in getting a sample of Black Orchid (as I was never able to truly test it out on my own time). I started perusing the men's side and noticed that they had finally gotten in all the recent men's designer releases (i.e. Roadster, Kenzo Power, etc.) I tried out the roadster (great bottle by the way) and it wasn't for me. It smelled like toothpaste and then eventually dried down into something that smelled oddly familiar, generic I would say. I then got over to the Power and noticed they didn't have a tester out. I saw one of the SA's, she was very cute, standing around and she didn't look busy, so I asked if they had a tester for me to try. She said she'd find out and went of looking for it. I proceeded to test out the new Zirh Ikon which is VERY nice (sort of a unique take on the fresh-woody genre , that didn't feel too common). She returned with the unfortunate news that they had just got it in and hadn't recieved the tester and was unable to open a new box. She asked me how I knew so much about frags and I explained to her that I was apart of an online community for fragrance enthusiasts and collected them in my free time. She was very interested and said that she wished more men would be interested in cologne. She asked if there was anything that she could get a sample of for me and I asked for Black Orchid which she had never heard of ! I pointed to it across the store and she explained to me that, that side was for women, to which I replied that Black Orchid is actually a unisex scent that is displayed on both men's and women's counters in most department stores. She was shocked! She couldn't believe that I knew more than her about cologne and recommended I get a part time job there and she would put in a recommendation for me. As she was decanting the Black Orchid she smelled it and said "MMMMMMM this would smell so sexy on a man!". I am by no means a ladies man, but here, I was in my zone. I was as comfortable as I could possibly be. We talked some and I eventually got her number ! Needless to say my friends were absolutely speechless, coming from the guys that are too afraid to go into a Sephoras, lest they appear gay, they couldn't believe that my fragrance hobby had just got me a girl's phone number. It was truly a night of firsts for me. I have grown so much since joining BN that it has now even improved my social skills. I felt great and I smelled great and I may have converted some non-believers last night. On the topic of smelling great I'm wearing my sample of Black Orchid today and although I may have gone overboard (5 sprays)I've already recieved 2 compliments, and both said it smelled masculine. This stuff is truly AMAZING, and has skyrocketed on my wishlist.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 7th November 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Default Re: Sephora: A Story

Hell yeah, buddy! This is how its done!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Blog Entries

i think Black Orchid is way too feminine...i've tried it a few times, and find it girly.

but i do see alot of you saying that you use it, with success....interesting.

Thanks scentronic! It was truly amazing. I don't know everso man I kind of thought that it was a little feminine at first, but you gotta give it a whole wearing. When I told the people that complimented me that it was actually a women's frag they couldn't believe it, they told me that it smelled nothing like perfume and more masculine.

Black Orchid was not feminine at all on my skin. It was very strong, however.

It was not for me, so I sold it.

5 sprays? I felt bad about 3!

But not girlie, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Black Orchid was not feminine at all on my skin. It was very strong, however.

It was not for me, so I sold it.

5 sprays? I felt bad about 3!

But not girlie, at all.
    Hahaha! I know, trust me. When ever I sampled it I give a spritz to my wrist and that was it, and for some reason it always felt, as if it died down very quickly. So this morning, stupidly, I sprayed 2 to my chest, one on each wrist, and one to the back of my neck. Needless, to say I almost sufficated in the car.

Now THAT's a score ... congrats buddy

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Nice story! I guess almost all of us basenoters can work as a fragrance SA.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i think Black Orchid is way too feminine...i've tried it a few times, and find it girly.

but i do see alot of you saying that you use it, with success....interesting.
    My wife likes it but wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Nice story! I guess almost all of us basenoters can work as a fragrance SA.
    I don't want to come off as arogant but, Sephora, in particular, has very misinformed SA's. It seems to me that they all are very knowledgable in the makeup section but consider the fragrances as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Now THAT's a score ... congrats buddy
    Thanks man! I'm really excited.

Well Done. Good for you bud!!hope it works out.I just got back from a quick trip to Sephora and got samples made of Roadster, Guerlain Homme and TdH...which I already had gone through one sample and ordered some on ebay,
    Last edited by ToughCool; 7th November 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Well Done. Good for you bud!!hope it works out.I just got back from a quick trip to Sephora and got samples made of Roadster, Guerlain Homme and TdH...which I already had gone through one sample and ordered some on ebay,
    Thanks man. I was kinda bummed that they didn't have Guerlain Homme. About roadster, the top notes are definitely unique(at least to my nose) it smelled of toothpaste to me. But those basenotes, ugh. You could get a little of the mint intermingling with what seemed to me to be the "generic" designer, sweet, woody basenotes. Nothing unique after the first half hour.

The important question is what fragrance are you going to wear when you take the SA out on a date?

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Thanks man. I was kinda bummed that they didn't have Guerlain Homme. About roadster, the top notes are definitely unique(at least to my nose) it smelled of toothpaste to me. But those basenotes, ugh. You could get a little of the mint intermingling with what seemed to me to be the "generic" designer, sweet, woody basenotes. Nothing unique after the first half hour.
    I have cards here at work and am smelling these now. Roadster reminds me of Spearmint Trident with a sweetnes sunderneath. Guerlain Homme is really lemony...lemon cleaner or Fruit Loops. Whatever it is, I find it horrible. It is like Lemon Pledge or something bad.

By the way, Canali is one I really like too.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 7th November 2008 at 05:39 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    The important question is what fragrance are you going to wear when you take the SA out on a date?
    Good job, yeah I was thinking about this when I finished reading. ^

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Black Orchid of course!

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I have cards here at work and am smelling these now. Roadster reminds me of Spearmint Trident with a sweetnes sunderneath. Guerlain Homme is really lemony...lemon cleaner or Fruit Loops. Whatever it is, I find it horrible. It is like Lemon Pledge or something bad.

By the way, Canali is one I really like too.
    People are gonna get tired of me peddling this, but next time you get an opportunity to go to a Sephora, try the Zirh Ikon.

Good job, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Good job, sir.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Cool story and congrats! I was actually at Sephora the other day. The people there were pretty nice and willing to make samples which is cool. I do agree though that the SA's don't seem to know a whole lot about the fragrances. I did talk to the head SA for a while there which was cool and she was very knowledgeable about fragrances (she actually had worked at Chanel and at one point we talked about the original Egoiste, Antaeus, along with how M7 is a sleeper here). I actually ended up getting a sample of Black Orchid myself and am currently wearing it. I purposely went a little overboard with 4 sprays partly in order to really get a sense of what it smells like. I don't know if I like it. The SA and I both agreed that it could be worn by a man. However, I find the scent to be a bit too sweet and fruity (it is definitely on the feminine side). It has good longevity and decent sillage on my skin though. Does anyone see a slight similarity to John Varvatos for men? Maybe it's that sticky date note in Varvatos that seems similar to the jammy fruit smell in Black Orchid.

So did you end up going out with her? =]

Quote Originally Posted by Mengels View Post
    So did you end up going out with her? =]
    Yes I did actually. Meh. Not for me. Not too bright. But either way it turned out to be a good experience and an even better story.

Blog Entries

Oh, I didn't know they had Black Orchid! Now I have to get a sample of it when I stop by a Sephora. I know I once felt weird running over to the women's section to grab the bottle for Eau de Cartier to be decanted one time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Oh, I didn't know they had Black Orchid! Now I have to get a sample of it when I stop by a Sephora. I know I once felt weird running over to the women's section to grab the bottle for Eau de Cartier to be decanted one time though.
    Yea man get in there! I wish they didn't have BO on just the women's side but on both, but o well what are you going to do. I never knew that Eau de Cartier was ever considered womens. It's on the men's side in my Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I never knew that Eau de Cartier was ever considered womens. It's on the men's side in my Sephora.
    It's on the men's side at my local Sephora as well.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    It's on the men's side at my local Sephora as well.
    Ditto, I guess word is getting around...