Code of Conduct

Default Recommned me a fruity niche perfume with staying power

I have been wearing Clinique's Happy EDT which I understand has grapefruit and bergamot in it which I liked a lot at first but find doesn't last very long, and I've got so accustomed to the smell I can barely notice it now so I don't want to replace the one I have just finished

I wore Escada Summer Heat on hols which was a little bit too sweet for me - probably aimed at someone a bit younger.

I also am using up some DKNY Be Delicious, which has grapefruit and apple in it, which is more to my taste than the Escada, but again not incredibly long lasting.

I also used to use Aqua Allegoria's Pampelune, which I liked but found a bit too grapefruity - maybe a bit too simple for me.

I'd like to get something a little more unusual now, in EDP for a bit more staying power, what would people recommend? I think grapefruit would be a key note for it to include.

I live in London so can get to Selfridges / Liberty's perfume departments so I have a pretty good range to choose from.

Default Re: Recommned me a fruity niche perfume with staying power

You want mango, passionfruit, grapefruit and mandarin with a heart of sambac jasmine and fleurs des iles
    over a woodsy (blue cedarwood/sandalwood) tonka, vanilla base? Try Nirmala by Molinard.
    I don't know how easy it will be for you to get this, but see if you can get a sample.
    This is my lush, goddess scent of choice.
    The Clarins Eau Ensoleillante also features grapefruit and is more easily accessible.
    Last edited by kewart; 8th November 2008 at 11:04 AM.

Kewart beat me to the Nirmala suggestion! I wore this today and it's a gorgeous fruity floral.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    You want mango, passionfruit, grapefruit and mandarin with a heart of sambac jasmine and fleurs des iles
    over a woodsy (blue cedarwood/sandalwood) tonka, vanilla base? Try Nirmala by Molinard.
    I don't know how easy it will be for you to get this, but see if you can get a sample.
    This is my lush, goddess scent of choice.
    The Clarins Eau Ensoleillante also features grapefruit and is more easily accessible.
    Ooh that sounds nice. I like vanilla and cedarwood and jasmine too so I shall have to track that down. Thanks for the recommendation

I forgot to mention I have the Clarins Eau Ensoleillante - I like it but it also doesn't have great staying power - nice and fresh though.

Banned

Pulp by Byredo. No grapefruit but very fruity and unusual.

Momoberry is one of the fruitiest frags I've ever sniffed, although the pineapple and guava are listed in the middle of the notes - it could have just been me so sample first but it was powerful, lasting and very, very fruity.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Louve by Serge Lutens. Cherry Almond!

Have you tried Teo Cabanel Julia? Any others with female names? Gorgeous fruit, not too sweet although drenched in juice.

Why does it have to be niche? Cacharel Gloria and Mugler Angel, even Yves Rocher Ode a la Amour will fit your general description too (grapefruit and long lasting).

Are you friendly with plums? My all time favorite fruity scent especially in cold seasons is the golden plum on the woody ambery vanillic background from Mauboussin de Mauboussin.

Hmm, grapefruit. Nope, does not compute for me just yet. How about some non-citrus suggestions?
    Ah, plums. That Mauboussin de Mauboussin sounds gorgeous. If you can, try Feminite du Bois by Shiseido - plums and cedarwood. If you can't get your paws on it straight away, try Dior's Dolce Vita, also created by Pierre Bourdon. Dolce Vita sings you a little song before you get to the throbbing bass that is the twin of Feminite du Bois.
    There's a Crazy Libellule and the Poppies (HQ Hair has them) that has peach and sandlewood - that's good, plus it's cheap and a solid, so very handbag-friendly.
    An interesting fruity one would be Guerlain's travel exclusive Vol de Nuit Evasion, which is peachy and rather like Samsara (it's in their boutiques I think, so I'm sure you can get it in London somewhere).
    And if we're talking peachy and Guerlain I know there will be many voices shouting 'Mitsouko!'

Oh wait - Jasper Conran for Women is citrus, edp and you can get it for peanuts.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey lasts forever on me. Not much grapefruit, more nectarines, but the nectarine comes across on me as green and acidic. (YMMV, so as always, sample first--one person likened this to sweetened canned peaches.)

Prescriptive's Calyx has a dominant grapefruit note and lasts forever, but it's not niche. Then again, it's not worn all that often anymore, so if you're looking for something unusual.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan is somewhat tart, so you might enjoy it.

Quartz by Molyneux is very sharp and apricotesque, and is not terribly expensive, either.

Czech and Speake used to carry a grapefruit scent, so you might find out if they still do. I had samples of it until recently, and they were very grapefruity to be sure.

I also concur with the suggestions of Pulp, which is indeed very, very fruity, and Calyx.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Have you tried Teo Cabanel Julia? Any others with female names? Gorgeous fruit, not too sweet although drenched in juice.

Why does it have to be niche? Cacharel Gloria and Mugler Angel, even Yves Rocher Ode a la Amour will fit your general description too (grapefruit and long lasting).

Are you friendly with plums? My all time favorite fruity scent especially in cold seasons is the golden plum on the woody ambery vanillic background from Mauboussin de Mauboussin.
    I guess I said niche because I like the idea of wearing something that isn't that common and where I feel like I like it because of how it smells rather than having been influenced by advertising. I only discovered niche perfumes this year, always worn usual department store stuff previously. I guess it's a bit snobby and I will probably get it out of my system soon.

Angel is disasterous on me - there must be something about my body chemistry that combines badly with it. I like the idea of it, but it smells really rotten on.

Woods, vanilla and Plums sounds like a nice wintery combination, will have to look out for Mauboussin.

Judging by your preferences I think you might like Dolce & Gabbana's "Light Blue". Lots of citrus and cedar+ an apple note.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Ah, plums. That Mauboussin de Mauboussin sounds gorgeous. If you can, try Feminite du Bois by Shiseido - plums and cedarwood. If you can't get your paws on it straight away, try Dior's Dolce Vita, also created by Pierre Bourdon. Dolce Vita sings you a little song before you get to the throbbing bass that is the twin of Feminite du Bois.

Oh wait - Jasper Conran for Women is citrus, edp and you can get it for peanuts.
    Mauboussin de Mauboussin is a great "dark fruit" suggestion, and Jasper Conran an excellent "light fruit" one!

VM (President of the Midlands branch of the SJCWDDS - Save Jasper Conran Woman from Deep Discounting Society)
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 9th November 2008 at 11:42 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I'm not particularly niche-knowledgeable, but I can recommend...

Bulgari Omnia Amethyste - grapefruit and heliotrope.

Cartier Panthere eau Legere - grapefruit/jasmine/green. I rarely see this one mentioned and it's lovely. No way you'd smell it everywhere you go.

YSL Babydoll - This was popular some years ago but everybody's over it now, which makes it a fun re-discovery. I thought it was fruity, fun, and very pretty. May be too sweet, though, like a grapefruit sour ball candy.

What about Annick Goutal's Mandragore?

Valentino V and V Absolu both have a long lasting grapefruit vibe, at least to my nose.

Grapefruit is a tough one, and is usually only a top note because of its lack of longevity. Also, in later stages, natural grapefruit really gets a urinous tone to it, so other notes must take over. I tried AA Pampelune, but the "all grapefruit all the time" was really tiring. I think if the grapefruit note lingers too long in any frag, it is a bit exhausting. Hopefully you can find a frag where you are satisfied with the mid and base notes after the grapefruit has faded...which seems to be the crux of the issue.

Have you tried Terre d'Hermes? It is a men's frag, but works really well on women also. If you like Td'H, you might also try The Different Company Sel de Vetiver and Hermes Vetiver Tonka.
    Last edited by Asha; 10th November 2008 at 01:19 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Have you tried Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien? There is grapefruit there as well as the lemon, cypress and basil notes.

Calyx from Prescriptives is very fresh and fruity. Notes I've found are grapefruit, mandarin, passion fruit, mango, papaya guava, freesia, muget, neroli, rose, lily, jasmin marigold, oak moss, orris, sandalwood vetiver.
    Last edited by chengfun; 10th November 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added notes

Just a niche newbie but here is goes:

Premier Figuier? I'm surprised noone mentioned it but I'm just biased >; ) Definately a cool weather fruit scent but gorgeous. Feminite du Bois by Shiseido is really nice too. I also expected a lot more Jo Malone suggestions then you received.

Have you tried Fresh's Sake? Not niche in the slightest but it will certainly help you decide if you like sparkly fruit notes or darker, warmer fruit notes.

What about going someplace like The Perfumed Court and picking a favorite fruit accord and getting a sample pack? Is there another site that lists frags by accord like them?
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thérèse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amère, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

Wow, lots of fantastic suggestions to explore, and loads of them I haven't heard of before, thanks everyone.

Sounds like experimenting with some samples to narrow down would be a good idea.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the Pulp by Byredo and Calyx by Prescriptives recommendations above. Both are extremely fruity and extremely strong. They both also smell fantastic.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th November 2008 at 08:41 PM.