Code of Conduct

Default Which, if any Amouage male scents are worth the high price?

With the price of most Amouage scents in the $200 plus range (if I'm not mistaken), are any of them really worth the investment?

Amouage Gold Men
    Amouage Homage 2008
    Amouage Silver Cologne 200x
    Arcus 2005
    Ciel for Him 2003
    Cirrus 2006
    Jubilation XXV 2007
    Reflection Man

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which, if any Amouage male scents are worth the high price?

Prices are subjective. If you could rationalize spending $150 on a fragrance, then Amouage wont be too big of a jump and a few of them might be worth it for you. If you can't rationalize spending more than $70 on a fragrance, then none of them would be worth it. Putting the prices aside, Amouage Gold, Dia, Silver, Jubilation, Reflection and Lyric excude luxurious pomp and quality that not many could come close to.
    Last edited by Mudassir; 8th November 2008 at 06:18 PM.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Amouage Silver Cologne is the best of the lot for me. I tried the others, and Jubilation XXV is very good too (but just doesn't have enough oomph to it).
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

None. Well if you really like the fragrance and have the money then maybe all.

The issue is that worth is a value judgement that only the individual can make for themselves.

I have Jubilation XXV. While nice, I don't think it is worth the high price - especially when you consider longevity.

For me:
    Gold Men - utterly superb, over the top, exuberant perfume, nothing like it.
    Dia Men - Very complex, wonderful woody incense.
    Ciel Men - Fantastic, joyful spring/summer scent
    Silver Cologne - fruity, classy chypre; brilliantly made, a bit quieter than the others, not an instant wow but the quality crept up on me from behind and whispered - "that frag you are wearing, it isn't as good as me". Very versatile and wearable.

These are all very well made, excellent frags with wonderful frankincense. I find reflection to be poor. Arcus and Cirus, if you can find them are ordinary in concept but pretty good in execution, especially Arcus.

I like jubilation a lot and it is very well made,but not enough to buy. I found Lyric disappointing.

Edit - I wouldn't even attempt to say which are worth the money - that is too individual and an impossible question so i have just said what I think of the frags
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 8th November 2008 at 11:04 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

The discontinued Amouage Silver Cristal. It's way different from the Silver Cologne.
    I bought the Silver Cologne blind, because I hoped and was looking for a weaker Silver Cristal, but in the end it's a different animal.
    Amouage IMHO is all about marketing and target groups. Some fragrances are more than nice and some are really good, but the price is not justified. But then again Creed prices are not justified as well, but they can be found on eBay ultra cheap. Amouage? Frederic Malle? No way.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I have tried Dia, and own Lyric and Jubillation XXV.

I find Lyric to be the favorite of the three

None.
    Lyric and JXXV are OK for a 120 EDP.
    Silver Cologne, Arcus and Cirrus would be expensive at 30 USD. Saying that their are ordinary is an understatement.
    Last edited by irish; 8th November 2008 at 09:41 PM.

I would also say none, although I would consider both Jubilation XXV and Reflection Man if they were much more reasonably priced.

The silly crystal bottles represent half the price. That said, I love Dia, I bought it from a fellow Basenoter for $150. Nice deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Amouage Silver Cologne is the best of the lot for me. I tried the others, and Jubilation XXV is very good too (but just doesn't have enough oomph to it).

I'll second that

Off-Scenter

Whether or not a scent is "worth the price" is an entirely subjective matter. If you like it enough, and you can afford it, then it's worth the price. Were you to ask me which of the Amouage scents you ought to sample, I'd recommend Dia, Gold, Ciel, and Jubilation XXV first, then Reflection and Lyric, which strike me as a bit less distinguished. (The women's Lyric seems to me a more appealing scent than the men's.)

Amouage is a top class perfume house and in my opinion all of the following are great scents:
    dia
    reflection
    lyric
    jubilation

yes they are undoubtedly expensive but i believe they are a cut above so many other scents that smell very synthetic to me.

None.., at least I wouldn't pay the full retail price for any of those I've smelled so far. I own Jubilation however, I got this for about 1/3 of its original price. So maybe I should rather ask myself - which one would I buy if I knew they were all going to be discontinued next month? Well, in that case I'd purchase XXV. Of the ones I've tried I consider XXV to be the most interesting and satisfying for me. As for the rest, I find Dia rather cold and boring (cold incense scent..), SC just nice, Reflection awful (hair spray)..and I've tried Lyric once and was underwhelmed. Gold - never smelled this one...

Parfum MDCI Invasion Barbare

Dia is my favorite of the lot. I have not tried Lyric yet, but I have tried Homage.

The latter is so exquisite, I think $350 may actually be a bargain.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid View Post
    Dia is my favorite of the lot. I have not tried Lyric yet, but I have tried Homage.

The latter is so exquisite, I think $350 may actually be a bargain.
    Where is Homage available in the US?

Mudassir: It is available at Aedes de Venustas and LuckyScent.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Where is Homage available in the US?
    At Luckyscent and Raffi Perfumes on-line.
    It is exquisit.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDavid View Post
    Mudassir: It is available at Aedes de Venustas and LuckyScent.
    $350 for 12ml!!! Suddenly, the world's most expensive fragrance has a new name!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    But its pure oil.

I would say all of them, or none of them.

Fragrance is so subjective, that one persons Holy Grail is another's stomach turning mess. If you think that they are worth their price, then they are.

I own Dia and feel it's worth every penny I paid. I also have owned a bottle of Antaeus I bought for $30 that wasn't worth a penny to me.

Sample and judge for your self.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    A little bit goes a long way

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    A little bit goes a long way
    I agree.
    A botlle would last me for years... Definitelly not an everyday fragrance 30 usd for 1 ml.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Homage.

price aside...Dia and Reflection are my favorite of the bunch...have yet to try Lyric though...very interested. I own Reflection, for an iris/orris scent it has incredible profection, sillage and longevity. So I think it's worth the price. Plust the drydown is SUBLIME!!!

None. I find this house to be more about its airs than its quality. Gold is the only one I like enough to wear but think even that isn't worth it's hype. It's nice don't get me wrong but not the new sliced bread either.

- Al

Massiveattack1987

Amouage Memoir gets my vote.

But honestly, this house concept is made by a king, who actually doesn´t know anything about scents.
    This house is just his hobby and it is a prestige business for him.

He has hired lots of magnificant parfumers, who created masterpieces, but Amouage is just like:

football clubs (FC Chelsea or Manchester City), which are bought by billionaires, who actually don´t know much about playing football.

If I contact niche produts, then I want to recognize their philosophical thoughts and passions.

Quote Originally Posted by Off-Scenter View Post
    Whether or not a scent is "worth the price" is an entirely subjective matter. If you like it enough, and you can afford it, then it's worth the price.
    Quite true.

Jubilation XXV and Reflection Man. I own Lyric Man as well, but I don't think it's on that level to me.

These are;
    Homage
    Tribute
    Epic Woman Extrait
    Molook
    Bahjah
    Silver Oudh

I've really enjoyed, Jubilation XXV, lyric, epic and reflection man.

The ones you like.

I don't love many of them but Homage used to be great before ever increasing IFRA restrictions on citrus, jasmine and sandalwood left it smelling a lot less good.

About Homage - while I don't like it, I do agree that the strength is enormously impressive. A drop is about the same strength as you get from a ml of most EdPs.

As for me, none of the male Amouages are bottle-worthy, just due to my personal taste, however. Memoir Man was easily the most amazing men's release of 2010, it's just not me.

If you like them and have the disposable funds then the answer is yes, they are worth it. High quality frags. If you do not like them or have disposable funds then the answer is no, they are not worth it.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I like Jubilation but honestly enjoy Opus II the most, from the library collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Massiveattack1987 View Post
    But honestly, this house concept is made by a king, who actually doesn´t know anything about scents.
    This house is just his hobby and it is a prestige business for him.

He has hired lots of magnificant parfumers, who created masterpieces, but Amouage is just like:

football clubs (FC Chelsea or Manchester City), which are bought by billionaires, who actually don´t know much about playing football.

If I contact niche produts, then I want to recognize their philosophical thoughts and passions.
    I believe he is a sultan, no? Anyway, does it really matter who owns the house if, as you say, it turns out products by "magnificent perfumers"? If I were a sultan I reckon I'd have fun owning a perfume house or two as my own little "hobby", too - and what on earth would be wrong with that? Honestly, I find the notion that anyone in financial control of a niche business should fill it with his personal "philosophical thoughts and passions" really annoying and way over the top - I don't care at all for recognizing the "passions" of whatever moneyman or financer when sampling a perfume - his job is to provide the financial basis for the perfumers to create what ideally awakens in me my very own "philosophical thoughts and passions", if that's what I'm after. Or are you saying that only professional perfumers should own perfume houses? Only designers own design firms? Only bankers own banks? Why?!
    As for the comparison with billionaires buying football clubs, I don't get the connection. Why should you need to "know much about football" to invest in a club? Do you know "much" about everything you spend your money on? I don't think they buy these clubs because they want people to think they are experts at "playing football" - I think they do so because they see a potentially lucrative business opportunity. Are you saying that because Amouage is its wealthy owner's "hobby" (as I guess perfume is to most of us here) it was somehow wrong or illegitimate for him to found it and set these "magnificent perfumers" to work? It would have been better if they had not turned out these perfumes at all? What are you saying?

So far, the only ones in their regular range that I found to be full bottle worthy are Memoir Man, Epic Man and Jubilation XXV. They have some other good masculine compositions (Gold and Dia) which I simply liked but not loved.

From their Attars, I see myself owning Tribute and Homage at one point.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

The only one I've tried is Jubilation and it is positively wonderful.

For me, I'd say no, because I can get something close enough at a much lower price (at least the drydown, which is what most interests me). Last time I wore Magical Moon EdP, actually, I thought to myself that I wouldn't be surprised if a company like Amouage marketed this kind of frag to men (if they haven't already!).

Only one of the bunch I would consider is Memoir Man

...none...!

GunnBBang

None of them.

It is like expensive bags or shoes for women from designer houses.

A nice bag made by LV or Gucci costs so muc.. Is it worth the price?..No.

Amouage?..There is no doubt that the quality is fine and stunning.
    But it is also about marketing.
    I would never ever pay the full price on the market for Amouage.

I have Amouage Memoir, but I bought that when a scent house offered that 50%.