Code of Conduct

Default The German Creed: von Sierstorpff

I sure don't see how the new ultra-expensive niche lines popping up daily can survive the current economic crisis, but they just seem to keep coming. The latest contribution from Germany takes Creed's high falutin aristocratic imagery to new level, along with the price. You can read the English summary of the PR spiel here

Dating themselves to 1782, when some minor count by the name of von Sierpstorpff played around with perfumed waters (probably trying to get around having to buy Farina EdC), the entire marketing approach is centered around a painfully faux projection of nobility. The free sample I ordered from their website, a nice 5ml miniature, came with a letter on imitation handmade paper phrased in a pseudo-19th century stilted German, including major errors (missing subjects, pronouns) which didn't exactly help in the suspension of disbelief. A similarly styled brochure describes the rediscovery of the long-forgotten formulas in 2005 (Carthusia anyone?) by the current count, who runs a luxury spa in Bad Driburg at his residence. It ends with the English motto "The Prevailer of Individuality" - perhaps they meant "Purveyor"?

The whole thing comes across like someone trying to sell you a title of nobility or a Franklin Mint product, both of which, as we all know, come at a hefty price for the tinsel you usually you get. The 100ml prestige flacon with a solid silver cap and individual serial number runs only € 250, the 100ml travel flacon € 120.

While the perfume has nothing to do with a typical 1780 composition, it's actually not bad. From my first impression I'd say I'd wear it again. A decent citrus top, a green, spicy-balsamic heart with noticeable cardamom, reminiscent of Jil Sander Background, a demure base with tobacco, frankincense and synthetic woody-amber. The ingredient quality is OK and this actually smells better than your run-of-the mill designer release. It would have made a good Jil Sander Man or dunhill London, whose actual formulas shout "cheap" in your face. Of course you will smell just as, or rather more classy & gentlemanly wearing the incredibly refined Givenchy Vetyver or the unique Knize Ten, far greater fragrances at half the price, and get some real perfume history to boot. But this is a nice men's scent, a fact more obscured than emphasized by the pomp and circumstance-branding attempted here.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 9th November 2008 at 12:46 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: The German Creed: von Sierstorpff

the_good_life,

If I may, have you every thought of taking your truly excellent demystification skills, not to mention your wonderfully pellucid prose, and turning to the dark side by offering up such skills and prose for the purposes of obfuscation. I think there are a lot of niche companies out there who would reward you handsomely for such a turn. At least their copy would have the virtue of historical accuracy, grammatical probity, and some credibility. For one, I am glad you are on our side. We are lucky, indeed, to have such intelligent, informed fine writing on Basenotes to guide us in our choices.

I too am somewhat amazed, given the current swarm of niche companies that has descended on consumers, but I suspect there are a couple of reasons this is so: there are probably a lot of deep pockets behind such enterprises, one generation spending another's hard earned gains, you know, trust fund kids, etc.; at last count, the wealthy of this world generally spent $30,000.00 per annum per person just on shoes and handbags. One thing we tend to forget when the rest of us are left struggling with meager and shrinking wages and salaries, is that at the same time, all over the world, there are still a number of people who are making inordinately obscene amounts of money (for the American context of this phenomenon, I recommend Richard Frank's Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich.). The new rich have deep bountiful pockets, but I guess we need to wait and see just how far this recession will go and just how deeps those pockets are.
    It's hard to think of designer fragrances as aspirational anymore, expect maybe celebrity fragrances and I think that niche brands have now become mainstream and are the new aspirational brands of the fragrance industry. This at least begins to explain why a lot of designer fragrance companies are reinventing themselves part purveyors of niche fragrances. It's clear when a brand has achieved aspirational status, people will spend money they can't really afford to buy it. Just how much more money they can't afford to spend on niche remains to be seen.

Finally, to quote the title of one my favorite books, there's always the "glamour of backwardness." Niche as escape into the past? Sure, why not? What you've shown is that these niche companies really expect ill-informed nouveau riche/nouveau niche tourist types to take the ride backwards into a purer past and to pay handsomely for doing so. Like you, I prefer to take it easy, to foot it, to look straight ahead instead of backwards and to stop, every now and then, to smell the roses on the way.

Again, thank you for being our steady guide.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 9th November 2008 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    the_good_life,
    We are lucky, indeed, to have such intelligent, informed fine writing on Basenotes to guide us in our choices.
    The new rich have deep bountiful pockets, but I guess we need to wait and see just how far this recession will go and just how deeps those pockets are.
    What you've shown is that these niche companies really expect ill-informed nouveau riche/nouveau niche tourist types to take the ride backwards into a purer past and to pay handsomely for doing so.
    Again, thank you for being our steady guide.
    scentemental
    Yes, the_good_life's ability to speak in an informed voice, in an informal manner, is a treasure for all of us here at Basenotes; long may he stay.
    The new rich do have deep pockets, but they also have budgets to work within. I work in the luxury goods trade and things have really come to a grinding halt. Russia was the new luxe frontier, but they've put their brakes on, with a lead foot.
    Things will only get worse. Monthly expenses are killing those hedge fund managers as the market for second hand yachts, beach houses and race horses dries up.
    The old rich will survive, as they truly understand a budget.
    The smart middle class will survive, barely.
    The poor, they will stay poor.
    The new rich will start jumping out of windows soon enough.
    We missed you, Scentemental, please stick around.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th November 2008 at 04:33 AM.

This onslaught of niche is rediculous. I don't think I can take another Luckyscent review touting some hastily thrown together nouveau niche as "the best vanilla we've smelled yet! and we've smelled quite a few!"

I feel even worse for the people buying the new release every month. I'm not one to talk I suppose, seeing that I've got like 30 bottles myself, but I'd like to think that most of what I buy has stood the test of time and earned a place in my wardrobe. I think eventually people will come to their senses, no matter how much $$ you've got, its still silly to spend it on redundant crap. Then again I might be putting a bit too much faith in people...

PS those germans stole my marketing idea dammit, at least my ancestor was a great crown hetman! not some lesser count...
    ah well!
    see them on the field I suppose...

I was a bit amused by the ad copy on the website (being Dutch I can read German)... I ordered a free sample though I'm not sure they'll send me any since the form didn't contain any field in which to put the country of destination (I just added it to the PLZ/Ort field).

Thanks for another very enjoyable post the_good_life!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

This is very interesting TGL, thank you.

Agreed, it reeks of a "pre-packaged" formula for niche fragrance marketing, but I guess at the end of the day, its all about the juice. I think many of us have been around BN long enough to pay little heed to the marketing machine behind any given scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    ... Russia was the new luxe frontier, but they've put their brakes on, with a lead foot...
    Two years ago I had to review LVMH and PPR's annual reports. PPR made it clear, their business plans focused in China and Russia due the quantity of nouveaux riche as well as an expanding middle class. I am sure they must be reviewing their plans.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    ... by the name of von Sierpstorpff...
    Reminds my of Häagen Dasz, and American brand named after phonetics closely related to a language of Scandinavian origin, just for the sake of associations phonetics will trigger. Can it be linguistic fetichism? Names aquiring their meaning after their linguistic and national origin rather because of their real meaning.

... The whole thing comes across like someone trying to sell you a title of nobility or a Franklin Mint product, both of which, as we all know, come at a hefty price for the tinsel you usually you get. ...
    Brands do sell imaginary worlds, unless you know tricks marketers resort to. And if you have the technical capabilities needed to appreciate the product's functional attributes, well, you will be able to appreciate the real proposal, just the way our friend The Good Life does.

One of the reasons I enjoy so much being part of BN is because my technical capabilities in terms of product attributes appreciation is quite basic - I can give you a non-technical description of scents, but I have a long way to walk in terms of olphactory learning: I can't differentiate between tonka beans and labdanum since I neer ever had the chance of smelling these essences.

Thus, viele Danke, The Good Life!

I ordered a sample of this (from neighbouring Denmark), which arrived today as a charming miniature.

I find it a very elegant scent... polished, understated, classy - very much in line with the lifestyle imagery used in Von Sierstorpff's advertising and glossy product brochure. I particularly enjoy the citrus opening, and the lovely frankincense base. It pulls off "old world sophistication" much in the same way, for example, Carthusia or Acqua di Parma do.
    Recommended that you try for yourself.

Dimitri, when have you ordered the sample? I ordered one on Sunday, but didn't received anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
    Dimitri, when have you ordered the sample? I ordered one on Sunday, but didn't received anything yet.
    Mine was ordered on the 9th (Sunday) as well. I wasn't sure if they would respond being as I am not in Germany, but as a neighbouring country it would appear they were happy to oblige my request.
    The more I am wearing this, the more I am enjoying it. Thankfully its persistence is above average for this style of scent.

Just picked my sample from my mailbox.

It's a nice scent indeed.
    Last edited by Hubert; 13th November 2008 at 12:32 PM.

I just sent off for a "Duftprobe" (I like that name!). There's nothing like a free sample!

Got my sample as well. I like the scent, it's classy generic citrus/woody/floral. Topnotes indeed remind me of Acqua di Parma Colonia.

But moreover, it reminds me of those citrus bonbons:

Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Got my sample as well. I like the scent, it's classy generic citrus/woody/floral. Topnotes indeed remind me of Acqua di Parma Colonia.
    Its funny you also made reference to Acqua di Parma Stereotomy.
    I liken it a little to Intensa.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 13th November 2008 at 02:30 PM.

I received my sample today. NO THANKS! This reminds me of FUBU Plush. It's nauseating. I'm sneezing a lot as well in addition to feeling ill. This is the first time a fragrance has made me ill since Geir Ness did many moons ago. It's an aromatic floral that's gross.

- Al

Just put in for the free sample. I'm interested to give this a try.

Received it yesterday, it's kinda decent although it's a strongly diluted version of Mona di Orio Lux. Heavy citrus which flows into heavy amber. Buy Lux instead!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I received a sample of this today. Nice but nothing special, I think it smells too modern to be an 18th Century formulation.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    I received a sample of this today. Nice but nothing special, I think it smells too modern to be an 18th Century formulation.
    It's about as 18th-century as Mel Gibson's rendition of the American Revolution in The Patriot .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I think I need to spend some more time with this. My initial impression last night was it was horrid, made my nose burn, and that's about it. Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow.

Sorry for the bump, but are there any recent impressions or thoughts about this? I have a sample, and to be honest, I really do like it. It's an easy wear - conventional enough not to raise eyebrows, but unique enough that it keeps me sniffing and interested.

I wore some of my sample the other day, and while it was nice I definitely wouldn't buy it.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I`ve got free sample with brochure too.
    One test is enough - this scent is perfectly suits all those brands which are going into niche perfumery with only need of "easy money".

Should I mention the contradiction between historical concept and modern somewhat synthetic smell?

Sorry, von Sierstorpff, I did not mean to hurt your sales... just IMO.
    Last edited by moon_fish; 7th July 2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added
    Vetiver The Great!!!

A quick post mortem: the operation went belly up rather quickly. Amateurs trying their hand at high-end niche - not a good idea. I just read that the nose behind this was the head perfumer of the German detergent etc. conglomerate Henkel. Anyway, it's been floating around various online bargain bins for a while now.
    My Wardrobe

What was their mistake?

Anyway, it´s a really nice frag!

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    What was their mistake?
    I'd say the name. Von Sierstorpffff :-p

Quote Originally Posted by rüssel View Post
    i'd say the name. Von sierstorpffff :-p
    lol!

A quick post mortem: the operation went belly up rather quickly. Amateurs trying their hand at high-end niche - not a good idea. I just read that the nose behind this was the head perfumer of the German detergent etc. conglomerate Henkel. Anyway, it's been floating around various online bargain bins for a while now.
    Where online? I actually came across this ages ago, sorta liked it. Would buy it at a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Vielen dank.

Very interesting and useful thread. Thanks for resurrecting it. Did you test their entire line, Tom ? Any worthy (at current discount, of course) recommendations for Citrus, greenery, or masculine florals ?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    What was their mistake?
    Sounds like the quality of ingredients and/or lackluster composition

I am pretty sure this is their only fragrance!
    I like it very much; a contemporary interpretation (cardamom) of the classic Eau de Cologne theme