Code of Conduct

Angry really really really disappointed by derby

Derby smelled great when i first sampled it, and when i first spritzed it on my hand...and today was my first wearing of derby...i dont usually spray perfume on my body (neck, pulse points, etc) but I did today along with the usual six sprays to my clothes...after fifteen minutes literally, i could not detect it...i thought it was only me so i asked my mother if she smelt anything..she told me she could barely detect a scent...i took off my clothes (in my room of course ) and literally waved my clothes like a mad man trying to detect a scent...NOTHING!!! i was so pissed off...I hung my clothes on a hanger and literally soaked my clothes in derby (about 20 times)...i didnt feel bad about wasting the juice cause i was sooo confused...i mean i know its a EDT but it wears like an EDC or less...i soaked my chest in derby, wore my clothes, and went out...literally an hour and a half later...nothing nothing nothing...i wonder if i got a bad batch or what...FYI before my first spraying of Derby i sprayed one SDV on my hand and i can still detect it...and thats ten hours ago...none of my other guerlains have had this problem!!!!!! I staring at the brown juice in confusion and anger as I type...oh well...118ml to go
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

AromiErotici

Default Re: really really really disappointed by derby

Bummer man. I can't imagine spraying that heavily and have it dissipate so quickly.

Blog Entries

so you're saying it's like the Eau D'Orange Verte of leather scents? that would be dissappointing. is this a new bottle?

i've never tried this stuff...but it's at the top of my list of things i need to try...

Post Re: really really really disappointed by derby

The newer Derby, as opposed to the original, does stay closer to the skin.It for sure doesn't project as much as the old one did. 6 sprays gave me a good 6-7 hours. I can only assume that your sample was indeed that of the new formula.Wait a few days, and give it a try again, after you calm down a bit. If you still have the same results, I don't think you will have any trouble selling it.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I am sorry that your experience with Derby has not been satisfactory.

I easily get 12 hours longevity out of the new reformulated version.

Do you ever use an unscented moisturizing lotion to first build a base upon which your fragrance can rest?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Is there any chance your nose has fatigued? The only reason I ask is because I got my husband the newer Derby, and he sprayed it on, (like 3 sprays, each cheek and neck) and he did not smell it on himself. I smelled it strongly on him the entire day. I recall this specifically because I thought he sprayed too much, and he had no experience of the scent at all.

AromiErotici

This sounds like a strange bottle of juice.

Off-Scenter

Could be olfactory fatigue. I have no longevity problems with Derby, and I assume I own the new formula.

That doesn't sound right to me. I never have any longevity problems with Derby, nor does anyone I know. Are you certain you purchased it from a reputable retailer? Since it is in such demand and is somewhat rare, you may have been duped (i.e. perhaps diluted).
    Last edited by mrclmind; 10th November 2008 at 04:31 AM.

Derby happens to be one of my top curiosities. This thread certainly has me intrigued.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Derby is, in fact, very strong. It is like an uber-alpha male 80's testoserone beast. Something is not right with that bottle.

I have a vintage bottle and a small decant of the new version, and they are very similar to me. Strong and long lasting. I used three sprays of the new yesterday, and it lasted at at least ten hours. I can still detect it now, the morning after.

Your experience sounds very underbyish - Derby is one of my most potent fragrances. I hope it will work better next time!
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I get an über-strong, über-lasting scent from Derby too, old and new edition. I'd say minimum 10 hours. Must be nose fatigue...

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Derby is, in fact, very strong. It is like an uber-alpha male 80's testoserone beast. Something is not right with that bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    That doesn't sound right to me. I never have any longevity problems with Derby, nor does anyone I know. Are you certain you purchased it from a reputable retailer? Since it is in such demand and is somewhat rare, you may have been duped (i.e. perhaps diluted).
    pssst! That reputable retailer happened to be La Maison Guerlain!

yeah guys....i am confused as u are?!!!?!?!?!?! none of my other purchases from Guerlain in Paris have had this problem...HELL none of my fragrances EVER has had this problem...i dont think it was nose fatigue...i mean my mother couldnt detect it also!!! we'll have to try again tonight....sigggggggh.....ill keep u posted
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

There's the remote possibility that you are anosmic to (i.e. physiologically incapable of perceiving) some major ingredient - and if that's the case your mother might be, too. So do a test with non-relatives. But perhaps it is just nose-fatigue after all - especially since you put on a generous dose. I use Derby sparingly. Testing with friends and colleagues will also answer this question

If your experience with the sample was different: try decanting a small amount from your bottle and dabbing it on your skin, rather than spraying, for a different, slower diffusion effect.

An off-bottle would smell bad but not weak, so I can't imagine it being the juice, except if it was manipulated somewhere on the way between Guerlain and you (but who would do that rather than just steal it?).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I, too can report that Derby lasts plenty long on my skin. I don't get the 10+ hours some people report, but I easily get 6-7, and that's with a fairly mild application.

Maybe a good course of action would be to send samples to a couple friends for their opinion.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by aboodchy View Post
    yeah guys....i am confused as u are?!!!?!?!?!?! none of my other purchases from Guerlain in Paris have had this problem...HELL none of my fragrances EVER has had this problem...i dont think it was nose fatigue...i mean my mother couldnt detect it also!!! we'll have to try again tonight....sigggggggh.....ill keep u posted
    So far, there is only one fragrance that I own and wear that causes "nose Fatigue" and it is Dia by Amouage. I douse myself with it and after 15 minutes I can not smell it. But others certainly can.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    pssst! That reputable retailer happened to be La Maison Guerlain!
    Oh, I didn't see where he stated that it was purchased directly from Guerlain. My worry was that it was either a diluted decant or a bottle that had been tampered with. You never know when you buy stuff from some Ebay sellers or strange kiosks in marketplaces.

Yeah, I just tried this today. I bought a mini blind. I got at least 7 hours from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    So far, there is only one fragrance that I own and wear that causes "nose Fatigue" and it is Dia by Amouage. I douse myself with it and after 15 minutes I can not smell it. But others certainly can.
    Not to veer OT but I have similar problems with Dia, sometimes bad, sometimes worse. We must be distant cousins . I wonder, are there clinical studies of "nose fatigue" / anosmia by the fragrance industry?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Did you say "brown juice"? My Derby is a golden green... and it lasts a good 10 hours on me.
    'There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, "Do trousers matter?"'
    'The mood will pass, sir.'

If I remember correctly, aboodchy started another thread explaining that once he applied the Derby to fabric it lasted a long time, and that it must have been his skin type.

REALLY? Personally, I NEVER had this problem with Derby either. I usually get many compliments from friends about it. It's alright SWEET DRULAR