Code of Conduct

Default I Cant Seem to Spray on my Fragrances :(

Alright, right off the bat; Im afraid of using some of the fragrances that I have in fear that when I finally use it all up, the juice will have already been discontinued and really really hard to find which will in turn make me depressed. Therefore, though I still have full 100 or 125ml bottles in my drawer, I am unable to take them out of the box let alone spray them on myself.

I even thought about purchasing a couple Axe spray cans just so I'll be able to smell good but continue my purchases on those rare, hard to find bottles. The SA at Nordstroms here knows of my problem and she said "Just Do It (Like Nike), Enjoy the Fragrance While You Can" I thought of what she said but I still couldn't do it. I guess one of these days, I'll be really drunk and trying them on due to alcohols side effects of the lack of good judgment.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I Cant Seem to Spray on my Fragrances :(

Consider: the fact that the perfume will be used up is a part of what makes it precious to us. An unlimited supply leads to boredom; scarcity lends an edge. We value what is in limited supply.

I have truly found that most of my favorites do get discontinued-- so I have a spare bottle or two of the ones that are actually discontinued (and store them in the fridge.) But I don't buy spare bottles of current fragrances-- even were they to be discontinued, they would be available online and at discounters for a good while.

Consider also this: the perfumes will smell the best while fresh. Give yourself permission to enjoy them!

Also: if you do not use them at all, then effectively it is just as if you didn't have them. If you don't ever wear them, it is the same as if they were no longer available--right? Think about it.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 06:54 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've also found that when I feel anxious it helps to imagine a "worst case scenario" and ask myself how I would handle it. Formulating a plan takes some of the scariness out of the anticipated problem.

In your case, the worst case scenario might be that you learn a favorite will be discontinued. What would you do? Knowing that you have a plan makes the fear manageable.

edit:

A few more thoughts--
    1. There will always be new perfumes to love, even if the old ones are discontinued someday.
    2. If you want to always have a bit to remember your favorites by, you could decant a small amount to save, and use the rest of the bottle.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th November 2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: more ideas

30 Roses is right: use them. I am convinced that you will always find new loves, rather than be stuck with a few precious scents for the rest of your life. I sometimes feel the urge to hoard on things I like but keep reminding myself that beautiful things should be used, rather than be kept in drawers for some special occasions in the future. Life is short - wear your frags :-)

Some good advice from some smart women. Heymynameismark, it is distressing when cherished scents are discontinued. Trust me, I know. Still, when you deny yourself the immediate pleasure of using and enjoying them in favor of putting them away "just in case," is that not somewhat like buying a lovely piece of furniture that you then proceed to cover up with an old sheet and won't let anyone, including yourself (Mom, are you listening) sit on?

Just something else to consider.

A practical thought: there are a hell of a lot of sprays in a 50ml bottle. And each ml yields 6-10 sprays. Most of us who have collections of any size will never make it through most of what we own. And it takes very little perfume to bring great pleasure. One spray? Two?
    A less practical but, to me, interesting thought: So the bigger problem may actually be limited time, not limited perfume. Which may not help, but for me it reframes the question usefully. It may be that the logic you're using (and me, too, sometimes, to be clear) doesn't work well. It may be like refusing to visit beautiful places for fear of running out of new beautiful places. And of course the consequence of this will be that you just stay home. And die anyway. So to me the real objection isn't to the finitude of things, it's to the finitude of me. I wish to file a complaint about this, if anyone has a relevant address.
    So be beautiful, fellow perfume lover. You wouldn't be here if you weren't alive, a lover of the sensous life, a lover of beauty. Be big, love, love your fragrant self, strut, rock it, and spray. Because without your miraculous schnoz the perfume means nothing. Maybe spray just a little at first and see how it feels? One beautiful, beautiful spray is something like 1/500th of a 50ml bottle. And one little spray lasts all day, more if you spray it one fabric. And one day is 1/somethingth of a mortal life. It's a beautiful day here in Baltimore, and I'm feeling slightly desperate, so I'm going to strut a bit, love well, eat well, and smell excellent. Go, boy!
    Please keep us posted about this, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    A practical thought: there are a hell of a lot of sprays in a 50ml bottle. And each ml yields 6-10 sprays. Most of us who have collections of any size will never make it through most of what we own. And it takes very little perfume to bring great pleasure. One spray? Two?
    A less practical but, to me, interesting thought: So the bigger problem may actually be limited time, not limited perfume. Which may not help, but for me it reframes the question usefully. It may be that the logic you're using (and me, too, sometimes, to be clear) doesn't work well. It may be like refusing to visit beautiful places for fear of running out of new beautiful places. And of course the consequence of this will be that you just stay home. And die anyway. So to me the real objection isn't to the finitude of things, it's to the finitude of me. I wish to file a complaint about this, if anyone has a relevant address.
    So be beautiful, fellow perfume lover. You wouldn't be here if you weren't alive, a lover of the sensous life, a lover of beauty. Be big, love, love your fragrant self, strut, rock it, and spray. Because without your miraculous schnoz the perfume means nothing. Maybe spray just a little at first and see how it feels? One beautiful, beautiful spray is something like 1/500th of a 50ml bottle. And one little spray lasts all day, more if you spray it one fabric. And one day is 1/somethingth of a mortal life. It's a beautiful day here in Baltimore, and I'm feeling slightly desperate, so I'm going to strut a bit, love well, eat well, and smell excellent. Go, boy!
    Please keep us posted about this, yeah?
    That's so true. I never thought about it that way. (I too have problems using my discontinued scents.)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

One may have their cake and eat it also, to a finite end. Great food, wine and accessories must be consumed/used to fully enjoy, unless one enjoys the collecting and owning more than the intended use.

Poet Robert Herrick hit the nail on the head with his "To the Virgins, to make much of time". It 'extols the notion of carpe diem. Carpe diem, or “seize the day,” expresses a philosophy that recognizes the brevity of life and therefore the need to live for and in the moment'. That is easily extended to fragrance use enjoyment.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

This issue is so interesting and philosophical in a way! I say: your scents are not scents until they are realeased from their glass bottles. Use them - that's what they were made for.

Sometimes I feel this way about fragrances in my wine cooler. That is why I usually have multiples in my drawers. One example of this is my creed fragrances. I love Erolfa, and I have 6 bottles in the cooler. For whatever reason I don't want to pull them out and use them, so just this last week I purchased three 8.4 oz flacons of it, and put them in atomizers in the drawer, that way I don't have to go in my cooler, and mess up the way the fragrances are positioned in there. I also have multiples of other fragrances in the drawers as well. So in some ways I can relate. Sorry for the run-on thoughts......
    Last edited by Maz24; 4th December 2008 at 07:19 AM.

Blog Entries

buy a back up bottle of those fragrances...and then SPRAY FREELY!

what are the fragrances you are referring to? maybe we can help you determine whether they're gonna be discontinued or not...

Blog Entries

I recently bought a bottle of Vintage Arpege. I figured it would be in good condition because it was sealed in cellophane still in the box. I opened it up - I want to USE the incredible oakmoss scent not available nowadays. Lo and behold, it was EMPTY, all leaked out years ago! (I got a refund) but it showed me that I might as well enjoy these frags, especially vintage because it's like, if a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it.....
    Last edited by kumquat; 9th December 2008 at 03:11 AM.

I have a confession to make. When I found out Halston Couture was discontinued, I went back to my parents' house to pick up my bottle of it and bring it back with me, and when I found out my grandma (my own grandma) was using it, and my mother asked me if I wanted to give it to her, I said, "NO WAY!" and hid it away for the rest of my trip!

Ah. Insanity in a passionate moment.

The sad thing is, I have sprayed it less times than I can count on my hand, since I brought it home with me. Too scared to use it. Too scared to let others use it. That's so selfish and sad, methinks.

Tomorrow I'm using it.
    Last edited by Aiona; 9th December 2008 at 01:35 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Aiona,

You could make a decant in a pretty bottle for her...I'll bet you will also feel freer to enjoy it if you do that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Aiona,

You could make a decant in a pretty bottle for her...I'll bet you will also feel freer to enjoy it if you do that.
    That's a great idea. They have those small colored aluminum sprays in 5ml & 10ml. I keep some on hand to give to friends. They come in handy if you have a bottle break as I did once, too.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

At age 52, I've lived long enough t have lost all grandparents. Once they are gone, they are gone.
    Love 'em while you can.

Those are lovely ideas. Thanks, guys.

She is overseas now, and I will be shipping it to a country where things kinda disappear in the mail sometimes. Hrm. I am thinking I may send her a bunch of samples instead, and let her pick a bottle of her choosing.

I used to worry about using up things, ruining nice things, breaking good plates.... I'm not sure why or how I changed my attitude, but I have, and it is very liberating!

I say, be fabulous, use your perfume, especially the rare , vintage stuff that you may never replace. Use your fine china for carryout food. Never use paper plates or plastic cups, or paper napkins, even at a wild party. So someone breaks a glass. So the red wine stains the white linen. Life it short. Live it!!!! It is just stuff! Enjoy it!!!!
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 21st December 2008 at 01:45 PM.