Code of Conduct

Default L'Olfatto Artefatto - A Discovery

I recently discovered this Italian artisanal line and slowly tested several of them – but there are soooo many! The deus ex machina and extremely prolific nose behind it is Michele Muzio, a guy who has worked on and for his love for perfumes for something like fourty years. He adores his job and is proud of his creations. The line is (undeservedly) little known even locally, so I am pleased to disclose this small perfumed secret to my Basenotes friends.

Greta
    (The Voluptousness) : a soft, delicious, slightly powdery cloud – tender and comforting but oh so sensuous….a masterful interpretation of the almond note. Perfectly balanced between the sweet and bitter nuances, it does not slide into the cloying territory. I find the addition of roses particularly appealing, although I initially thought mimosa was the flowery note I smelled. It conjures up images of a woman child, lace and silk, face powder, cool white linen in a bedroom whilst the hot noon sunshine filters between the shades. Lovely.

Il Grande Blu
    (The Horizon) : a sweet-salty marine scent – olfactive pictures of everything you may find on a beach, the salty sprays, the wind, the wet sand, the driftwood, the shells, traces of algae and beach vegetation but thankfully no traces of suntan oil or tropical cocktails. Sweeter than any of the marine scents I tested so far. Definitely in the same family as Acqua di Sale from Profvmvm, but softer, sweeter, rounder. Not my fave scent family, but I find this one to be remarkable.

Mirage
    (The Desire) : I smell red fruit and almost caramelised vanilla with the slightest hint of something spicy (cardamom?) in the background. A very stable and linear scent.

Vertige
    (The Charm) : Citrus fruit and white pepper seem to be the prominent notes…on my skin, it takes on a slightly sour note in the opening which is a tad unpleasant but disappears in mere seconds. Despite the spicyness, it is a rather soft scent, becoming more floral once it dries down. Sternly elegant.

Floriane
    (The Innoncence) : The smell of a pink, full-blown peony flower against green leaves…. A subdued creation, with a creamy drydown reminiscent of soft skin.

Muschionero
    (The Sin) : to my nose, it does not convey what the name promises...this musk sings a clean, light and floral tune, like the sound of a crystal windchime – although, I admit, it might be black crystal. But then, my skin turned even MKK into a barbershop kitten!

Ambradoro
    (The Dream) : a resinous, golden amber veil. What made it stand out to me among the dozens of ambers on the market is an unusual, pleasant, almost salty suede-like note in the heart. The drydown is slightly powdery with an almondy nuance.

Sillage
    (The Sensuality) : Intensely floral opening and heart to my nose, not unlike a green, potent tuberose (not in the official notes – rose is given instead), which segues into an enticing base of very well blended woody patch and slightly piquant vetiver. Highly interesting and might be FBW for me.

Zen
    (The Interiority) : after a depart chock full of citrus fruit peels – mandarin, orange, lemon! – green nuances are added: foliage, green fruits. The drydown remains fruity and shows a grey-green woodiness (vetiver?), and a small, smoked, strangely mineral note.

Marrakesh
    (The Labyrinth): it opens up on an effervescent grapefruit note which is dusted with spices after the first seconds: a spice market where pepper and a soft curry mixture seem to stand out. The base is warm with cedarwood and that mineral gunpowder note I also found in Zen, which is much stronger here.
    Note: I just couldn’t resist thinking about Un Jardin sur le Nil and Terre d’Hermès when sampling Zen and Marrakesh! Both are very much in the JC Hellena style, but longer lasting.

Black Jamaica
    (The Adventure): dry pepper (again!), nutmeg and smoky woods is all my nose is able to perceive. But the result is very pleasing, although definitely on the masculine side.

Notturno Indiano
    (The Mystery) : I didn’t like this one. At all. The irony is that I am not able to say why, nor am I able to detect any note clearly. Something floral (rose, jasmine?) on an indistinct base. To my nose, it smells like Nivea cream. I’ll pass.

Anima
    (The Exstasy) : After my second round of sniffing, this was the one that stood out and made me think I needed a full bottle (meanwhile, I changed my mind-I think I’ll go for Sillage ). It should be a gourmand by the notes, but rest assured it is far away from being foody. The opening is unsweet, dry and warm, like an Eastern coffee spiced with cardamom. The heart shows a nutty facet, like smelling the cardboard-y shell of peanuts, dusted with bitter chocolate powder. The drydown is just a tad sweeter, lightly powdery, redolent of dried fruits, amber and musk. I guess those who liked Biehl Parfumkunstwerke pc01 will adore this.

Underground
    (The Shadow) : it smells like pure, unadulterated patchouli but explores the woody side of patch instead of the earthy side. The dusty, ancient smell of a wooden temple with the slightly ammonia-like smell of an earth truffle note. Strictly for patch lovers, beware!
    There…I still have some others to test, but that’s it for now!

I am not affiliated or else, but if anyone is interested, samples can be had on L’Olfatto Artefatto’s website:
    http://www.lolfattoartefatto.com/

I forgot to say that almost every scent I tested in this line has a very good longevity…the patch one being the most powerful of them all.
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 12th November 2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: some spacing inserted...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Default Re: L'Olfatto Artefatto - A Discovery

Oh fabulous, thanks for posting, I love finding out about new houses I'd never have heard of otherwise. I am going to check the website (hope they ship here) and am particularly interested in Greta, Innocence and Zen.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Thank you for this!

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    Oh fabulous, thanks for posting, I love finding out about new houses I'd never have heard of otherwise. I am going to check the website (hope they ship here) and am particularly interested in Greta, Innocence and Zen.

LedByMyNose
    , do you know Etro Heliotrope or Mazzolari Alessandro? Greta is in the same family, but less heavy on the powdery/almondy notes.
    I also wanted to say that you may find some cinconsistencies between my descriptions and the official notes listed on their website, but I went by my nose....

I'm going to place my order for "Sillage" quite soon ...I am rather astonished, since I normally do not appreciate the notes listed for it.

Nukapai, ....there's still so much to discover out there!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 12th November 2008 at 09:25 AM.

Thank you for sharing your discovery with us! Got a quick question now: what are the names in brackets, I have noticed that these are not direct translations? (could they be alternative names to punctuate the concept behind each scent?) Particularly interested in Greta, Floriane, Ambradoro and Sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Thank you for sharing your discovery with us! Got a quick question now: what are the names in brackets, I have noticed that these are not direct translations? (could they be alternative names to punctuate the concept behind each scent?) Particularly interested in Greta, Floriane, Ambradoro and Sillage.
    Yep, TWolf, the names between brackets are sort of "second names" for the scents, given by the house. Uhm...I think you could share my love for Sillage - and Vertige would be my second choice for you

Dear Lady_in_Black,
    any place to test them directly in Milan maybe?

LIB - thanks for letting us in on your little "secret". I see a few there that I would really like to sample. I'm going to link up later today and check it out!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Dear Lady_in_Black,
    any place to test them directly in Milan maybe?
    No way, my dear Mags ... regrettably, you've got to go to Rome for that!

LedByMyNose, do you know Etro Heliotrope or Mazzolari Alessandro? Greta is in the same family, but less heavy on the powdery/almondy notes.
    I recently discovered Mazzolari Alessandro and am completely, shamelessly in love with it. My favourite discovery for a couple of years. Now I definitely *need* to get a sample of Greta - I find that even with a light application I have to give Alessandro about 20 mins to become less intense. Now I need to go put some on.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry