Code of Conduct

Default best way to apply from 1 ml sample vials?

what's the best way to apply cologne to yourself from 1 ml sample vials?

from what i read, it's best to put it on your finger and then place it where you want. is this about right?

Blog Entries

Default Re: best way to apply from 1 ml sample vials?

or you could drink it...

or pour it in your eye....

yes, i think the finger is the best....

Last edited by everso; 12th November 2008 at 05:47 AM.

Hi and welcome!

The best way to truly test a scent from a 1ml vial is to commit to knowing you ought to use approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the contents in one application. Far too often only miniscule quantities are applied to the skin, which in my opinion, is rather pointless.

Dabbing with the finger is common method, but limits the quantity used, and IMO doesn't really give you an accurate idea of the way the scent will work on you. (Its kinda like starting to paint a large canvas with a single eyelash)!
    Tip the vial up gently in your palm, and empty about 1/2 of the juice. Transfer it gently between your hands so both hands are wet, and then apply to your neck/wrists. That way you ought to get a good feel for the scent, its projection, and persistence.

Dimi.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    or you could drink it...

or pour it in your eye....

yes, i think the finger is the best....

i've tried drinking it, but the ladies were telling me my breath stank

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Hi and welcome!

The best way to truly test a scent from a 1ml vial is to commit to knowing you ought to use approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of the contents in one application. Far too often only miniscule quantities are applied to the skin, which in my opinion, is rather pointless.

Dabbing with the finger is common method, but limits the quantity used, and IMO doesn't really give you an accurate idea of the way the scent will work on you. (Its kinda like starting to paint a large canvas with a single eyelash)!
    Tip the vial up gently in your palm, and empty about 1/2 of the juice. Transfer it gently between your hands so both hands are wet, and then apply to your neck/wrists. That way you ought to get a good feel for the scent, its projection, and persistence.

Dimi.

thanks, i'll be trying that starting tomorrow

Welcome to basenotes!!

i typically try out 1 ml vials when im at home.. and i prefer to directly dab it on from the vial on forearms and wrist...maybe 6-7 dabs at different points on each hand...this way the scent wafts in beautifully. to apply under neck you may have to dab using finger...

saying all that, nothign really beats a spray...you may want to check out this site for some affordable sprayers..
    http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...-PLASTIC-2.5ml

Last edited by jenson; 12th November 2008 at 06:00 PM.

i just transfer all the samples that I want to try out onto an atomizer.

Quote Originally Posted by heymynameismark View Post
    i just transfer all the samples that I want to try out onto an atomizer.
    do you have multiple atomizers?

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Welcome to basenotes!!

i typically try out 1 ml vials when im at home.. and i prefer to directly dab it on from the vial on forearms and wrist...maybe 6-7 dabs at different points on each hand...this way the scent wafts in beautifully. to apply under neck you may have to dab using finger...

saying all that, nothign really beats a spray...you may want to check out this site for some affordable sprayers..
    http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...-PLASTIC-2.5ml
    sounds interesting, but doesn't plastic contaminate the product over time?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
    doesn't plastic contaminate the product over time?
    I decant all my fragrances into 5 ml plastic atomizers and store the full bottles in the spare fridge. I've never had a problem with the plastic altering the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
    sounds interesting, but doesn't plastic contaminate the product over time?
    i can't say for sure it doesnt contaminate over a longer period. but, i have had some for quite some time and i dont see it does. so, it's pretty safe. also, 1ml wont last tht much anyways..it may give you 6-10 sprays depending on the sprayer...

I use a method I learned about on another thread here - I can't remember where the thread is or who to credit for the great idea, but...

Use one of those hollow little plastic coffee stirrers or cocktail straws - cut them in half to get double the use. I think cocktail straws are larger so with those you can get more juice. Just dip it into the sample vial to draw the liquid into the straw and stop it with your finger on top. Draw it out and release the juice onto your wrist or wherever. This method has worked very well for me. I agree with Dimitri; you don't get nearly enough fragrance out by just dabbing with a finger. I do think this method gives you a little more control than trying to pour it out.

Another note: while I prefer to spray fragrances, I don't want to buy enough atomizers just to try one scent in each.

Blog Entries

I invert the vial onto the fold of my elbow and trace two small circles while keeping the vial pressed to the skin. Then I take away the vial and bend my elbow tightly to distribute the liquid more evenly. I find my inner elbows maintain a scent for a very long time (far longer than the wrists), allowing me to fully experience a fragrance. This does lead to possible contamination of the vial, so from now on I'm going to follow turquoisewater's method (as soon as I snag some coffee straws from work ) and apply a drop to the fold of my elbows.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 17th November 2008 at 04:49 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I love the sample vials that when you put them upside down they won't be spilled out but will empty drop by drop.

1 ml is good for two wearings. Just pour it carefully on your neck and chest.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Dab it straight onto one of your wrists and gently press it on the other wrist and also the neck.

Interesting thread. I'm new to wearing colognes and don't want to apply too much for fear of being offensive.

A few weeks ago I was trying out a sample and applied about 2/3 of a sample 1ML vial of Trumpers that was 3/4 full when I got it. It ended up being way, way too strong and I wanted to wash it off b/c it was making me uncomfortable. My SO also commented that I put too much on.

Do you really apply that much fragrance when going out in public? Or is this done at home? I know everyone's skin is different and some fragrances are stronger than others, but still.