Code of Conduct

Default Love Bois du Portugal? You've got to try Park Royal!

I wore Park Royal yesterday for the first time in quite awhile. Park Royal was originally produced by Crown Perfumery in 1929. Anglia Perfumery saved the fragrance from extinction and now produces it under their name.

I put Park Royal on and went out. I was gone most of the afternoon and evening so I had plenty of time to ponder this marvelous fragrance. It smelled very familiar. It smelled ... just like my beloved Bois du Portugal. When I got home, I headed to my fragrance cabinet and did a side-by-side comparison of the two. Interrupted only by sleep, my suspicions were confirmed. Park Royal and Bois du Portugal are very similar to my nose - same radiant aura, same feel on my skin.

I searched for any discussion on these two and came up with one comment from narcus on the Crown Perfumery "Must Have's" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I have used my little sample of Park Royal to compare to Bois du Portugal all day yesterday. I had always considered BdP as absolutely unique until a friendly BNter sent me a PR sample! For the whole mile until their respective dry down sets in , these two are rather close to each other in the overall feel and intensity, and when it comes to the drydown the uniqueness of BdP is terminated, because several other Creeds end that fine, ambery way.This morning both are gone from my wrists, but the typeboard still echoes those impressions.

Has anybody else found these two similar? What surprises me is that PR does not seem to have impressed even the few that are familiar with Crown (Anglia) colognes. The good message to me is, that Marquis and Eau de Russe are great new targets to hunt for. Considering the money I save not buying more Creeds, I might just do that - except Ebay doesn't seem to offer much. I do also not understand why perfumeries do not sell English Colognes on the continent.There is really good stuff beyond Burberry, and London is the only UK frag I own.
    I am glad to know that I was not hallucinating!

While Bois du Portugal almost certainly had a previous life as a bespoke fragrance, it was not introduced to the public until 1987. The question of which came first is, to me, still an open question.

Has anybody else tried these two?
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 12th November 2008 at 04:57 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: Love Bois du Portugal? You'll love Park Royal too!

Is it just as expensive as BdP?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Default Re: Love Bois du Portugal? You'll love Park Royal too!

Park Royal is 35,00 Euro for 50ml at http://anglia-perfumery.com/

Roughly $43.89 USD or $ 0.88 per ml.

Equivalent to a price of $66.00 USD for a 2.5 oz. bottle.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 12th November 2008 at 04:28 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: Love Bois du Portugal? You've got to try Park Royal!

Interestingly BdP is the only Creed I can use and I love Park Royal but there are so many things that set them apart that for me I really can't see the resemblance. Perhaps your nose is more refined. With Park Royal I see more similarities to Penhaligon's Elixir.

I love BdP and quite dislike Park. I find the latter musty and the mentholic/clove excess is a disaster on my skin (note my acerbic review), while BdPs lavendar and smoky wood work wonders. I will retry Park now, though.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Can anyone comment on whether the new packaging of Park Royal comes with reformulated juice, and could those who have already commented on Park Royal please let us know which formulation/packing they are discussing.

Thanks.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    Can anyone comment on whether the new packaging of Park Royal comes with reformulated juice, and could those who have already commented on Park Royal please let us know which formulation/packing they are discussing.

Thanks.

scentemental
    My bottle and box look very similar to the one shown on Anglia's website.

I will update this tonight at home, after I have compared the picture to the actual bottle/box.

New York is so very similar, IMHO -- I think I would be hard pressed to find a better alternative, especially for the price. But if anyone has a sample of Park Royal, I'd be glad to swap you some samples of my own.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Thanks.

scentemental
    I am talking about the original by Crown. The Anglia rendition lacks the Eucalyptus.

This is the picture of Park Royal that appears on anglia's website.

The label has changed slightly on my bottle and box but they are otherwise identical.

Anglia uses the same label on both the bottle and box. The lettering and borders on my labels are royal blue rather than black. The lettering is the same down through the quantity and alcohol description. Below that, my bottle reads simply:
    www.anglia-perfumery.com
    Made in England

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I love BdP and quite dislike Park. I find the latter musty and the mentholic/clove excess is a disaster on my skin (note my acerbic review), while BdPs lavendar and smoky wood work wonders. I will retry Park now, though.
    I don't dislike PR but it holds no secret and I am afraid I might consider it a bit vulgar in the long run. Bois du Portugal is in a class of its own and the only Creed I love without reservations.
    Last edited by narcus; 14th November 2008 at 03:55 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztecface View Post
    I am talking about the original by Crown. The Anglia rendition lacks the Eucalyptus.
    I have the Anglia version and do not detect any eucalyptus or mentholic notes. This is the fragrance I am comparing to Bois du Portugal not the original Crown fragrance.

Thumbs up Re: Love Bois du Portugal? You've got to try Park Royal!

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    New York is so very similar, IMHO -- I think I would be hard pressed to find a better alternative, especially for the price. But if anyone has a sample of Park Royal, I'd be glad to swap you some samples of my own.
    I'd like one too. Be glad to swap

I had lost track of this thread. My references are to the Crown Perfumery scent from the 1990s. Without the eucalyptus I would imagine the character of Park Royal to change significantly. It makes we wonder to what extent the others have been streamlined? Anyone still interested in samples of the Crown's ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

AromiErotici

If you like "cologny" smelling juice, this is for you.