Code of Conduct

Default Grapefruit fragrance

Can anybody point me to a really nice clean grapefruit perfume? I wear Jo Malone's grapefruit cologne a lot of the time but I'm sure that there must be something else out there.

Default Re: Grapefruit fragrance

I somehow feel that I should be offering a Grander Brand, but: I really like Fresh Hesperides. Descriptions list all kinds of citrus notes, plus jasmine, peach, musk, etc. But my inexperienced nose reads it as "grapefruit", if maybe an idealized grapefruit, from beginning to end.

Crayfish

It's maybe not an easy one to find around, but Givenchy Extravagance d'Amarige is an extraordinary grapefruit scent with a longlasting grapefruit note made even more sparkling by a pink pepper spicy opening and a floral green mimosa heart, a must try if you like grapefruit.

I've recently enjoyed Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, a grapefruit with patchouli...and also Comme des Garcon's Energy C Series - Grapefruit.

I'll second the rec for AA Pampelune. I love it - summer or winter. Test it out, thought, because apparently it takes a bad turn on some people's skin.

... And I'll third the rec for AA Pamplelune. I love it madly. :bounce:

Also found that YSL's Baby Doll was very grapefruity on me, but I never cared for it -- too pink and sweet. Might be good for you, though!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

My favorite: Pink Grapefruit by Floris. As the reviews say, fresh & fizzy, not-too-sweet.

Top: grapefruit, lemon, and lime
    Middle: Gardenia, jasmine, and iris.
    Base: precious woods and musk.
    Last edited by tang; 12th November 2008 at 05:32 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Someone here pointed me in the direction of Grain de Folie by Gres. It doesn't have grapefruit listed in the notes, but strangely, as sometimes happens with scent, I swear the combination of ingredients definitely smells "grapefruity" to my nose. I love this scent in the summer - it is light but lasting, and it can be found online for an inexpensive price. Try it, you might like it like I do!

Top Notes
    Living Indian Lime, Clementine, Kumquat, Rhubarb.
    Middle Notes
    Stephanotis Jasmine, White Peony, Basil Flower, Gentian.
    Base Notes
    Tree Moss, Milky Musk, Tonka Bean, Acacia.
    Last edited by Lorien; 12th November 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Oh wow! Thankyou all. First visit to these boards and you've been great! I will definitely try the AA but really like the sound of the Fresh Hesperides. I'll let you know how I get on!

Blog Entries

I agree with the cautionary word about AA Pamplelune...many people get a distinct "cat pee" odor when they wear it. Definitely try before you buy; Sephora carries it and can make a sample for you.

I really liked the sample of Zorica of Malibu Gratitude Perfume I got from b-glowing. It's a perfume oil.

Bath and Body Works has an aromatherapy called 'crave relief' which is supposed to help prevent you from 'carbo loading' by flinging yourself into the nearest bakery. It's not bad, especially for $10.

Just some alternatives to AA Pamplelune which I've, for some reason, fallen OUT of love with. It's just to sharp for me now.

Welcome!

I knew I wouldn't be the first one in here recommending AA Pamplelune - I consider it a "must-try" if you like grapefruit! It is really good, if your chemistry doesn't happen to bring out the "cat pee" note that 30 Roses mentioned above.

I also second the rec for Hesperides - it's lovely.

Although I prefer Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, I bought my daughter Marc Jacobs Grapefruit, and she likes that.

Comptoir Sud Pacifique O'Pomelo, Kiehl's Grapefruit Oil and Parfums De Nicolai Balle de Match.

I love Hesperedes , but it doesn't last very long. Has anyone tried the Jo Malone fragrances? I read that even her pomegranate fragrance has grapefruit in it. I will have to wait until we go to Colorado during x-mas to sample these. please help me wait.
    Last edited by jb_abq; 18th September 2009 at 03:10 AM.

YSL In Love Again has a very nice top note of grapefruit.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    YSL In Love Again has a very nice top note of grapefruit.
    Totally agree!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'll also throw in Hermes - Pamplemousse Rose

Moschino I Love Love is an amazing, fizzy grapefruit scent with a sweet kick to it. 16 positive reviews don't lie. An underrated marvel!

I second In Love Again and I Love Love.

I can't wear AA Pamplelune - it goes weird on my skin unfortunately. And I believe it does so on others' as well, so I'd test it first to see whether or not you're one of the lucky ones it loves. I third I Love Love by Moschino, and I fell in love recently with Lilly Pulitzer Squeeze, a sweet & juicy grapefruity floral.

Chanel Allure Edition Blanche and Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose are two more wearable ones I have tried. AA Pampelune is to monotonous for me, although it smells great at first. After a while I can't really take it anymore because it never develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche and Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose are two more wearable ones I have tried. AA Pampelune is to monotonous for me, although it smells great at first. After a while I can't really take it anymore because it never develops.
    I second Eau de Pamplemousse Rose. lalnvin Rumeur 2 Rose also has notes of grapefruit and rose.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose is nice when first sprayed, but the citrus fades too fast for my taste, leaving a strong cedar that I find boring. I Love Love is a good recommendation if you don't mind musk (I had to give away my mini -- the musk got to me.)

Having worn Pampelune some years ago, I bought a bottle of Jo Malone's grapefruit cologne last year, and was somewhat disappointed, the longevity was really quite poor and the grapefruit note faded quite quickly on me.

I've since gone back to Pampelune and will be sticking to that for my grapefruit fix in the future.

Histoires de Parfums 1873 - Colette has a very strong grapefruit opening note.
    Evenstar

Riviera dei Fiori near Sanremo and Alassio

My faves grapefruit are Woman in rose alessandro dell'acqua and Bahiana MPG
    A, quales ego mane rosas procedere vidi!
    Nascebantur adhuc neque erat par omnibus aetas.

Hmmm I can only think of Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed and maybe even Oyedo by Diptyque.

I'll second Balle de Match. Maybe less clean than some more straight-forward grapefruit fragrances but nice complexity and nice staying power for a citrus.

Blog Entries

I do like Eau de Pamplemousse Rose - that's the grapefruit scent I decided to buy. It's such a straightforward grapefruit - very fresh. I was initially hooked on it - just couldn't stop wearing it. Now I'm a bit more controlled with it. The other aspects of the scent mess with the grapefruit a bit - sometimes after a long string of reapplications, it feels a bit weird, but I just call it quits at that point and wear it again another day. I refuse to put my bottle in the drawer, where it would be less convenient.

Another scent with a nice grapefruit accord is L'Artisan's L'Eau de Jatamansi. The initial grapefruit blast is tinged with true himalayan spikenard, which gives it a hippie vibe, and really electrifies the grapefruit. I'm a huge fan of that one.

I will definitely keep my eye out for Balle de Match.

My first post here so hello everyone!

Back to the question, Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus is another possibility. In the notes they list pomello, but to me it just smells like a massive grapefruit

I'm one of those people who can't wear grapefruit although to me it smells more like "sharp BO" than "cat pee".

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post
    My first post here so hello everyone!

Back to the question, Ormonde Jayne Osmanthus is another possibility. In the notes they list pomello, but to me it just smells like a massive grapefruit

I'm one of those people who can't wear grapefruit although to me it smells more like "sharp BO" than "cat pee".
    OJ Osmanthus is just a massive floral on me,no grapefruit.
    Also, I dislike Jo Malone's Grapefruit - the dry down is horrible on me. I can't even describe it but it's a scrubber.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Moschino I Love Love is an amazing, fizzy grapefruit scent with a sweet kick to it. 16 positive reviews don't lie. An underrated marvel!
    Seconding this one. It's effervescent & lovely, and I think the goofy Olive Oyl packaging (deliberate) leads to a lot of people not taking it seriously.

I also liked TokyoMilk's Kabuki which goes in a different direction with sugared grapefruit, lychee, and jasmine.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose was very true and long-lasting on me. Calyx has a nice grapefruit note, mixed with other citrus.

AA Pamplelune went verrrrry scary on me. I like skank, but I don't like smelling like I worked out three days ago, was peed on by a cat two days ago, and hadn't showered since.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Sorry to bump this thread up , but have you tried "Just Grapefruit" by Arran Aromatics .It is not the most expensive fragrance out there but has a great scent , and is availiable in lots of body products to layer up the scent. It seems to be grapefruit and nothing else ,obviously !! I was quite impressed by it for a cheaper fragrance !

Pamplelune is a love-it-or-hate-it fragrance. I love, love, love the opening, but it quickly goes BO on me. A real tragedy, because that opening is my HG in grapefruit frags.

I have found one that is very much like Pamplelune without the skank: an off-brand called McClendon. It has that bitter grapefruit zest thing going, which I love. Not super long-lasting, but I find most grapefruits aren't.

I like the Jo Malone Grapefruit, though I think the grapefruit notes fade quickly and the base is mostly herbal.

For a good, straight-up grapefruit, I think the Fresh Hesperides is great.

Love Cartier Panthere Eau Legere, soft and beautiful drydown on the skin with sandalwood.

Eau Fantasque by Fragonard