Code of Conduct

Default Montale Black Aoud 3.3 bottle weight

I just received a bottle of the Black Aoud large size, and it feels literally as light as a feather. I tried to shine a light through it, but my old eyes can't see the liquid line through the black container. I then turned it over and back, and heard a slight splash, which might indicate that it's almost full.

Would some kind soul who has the same size bottle tell me if it's suspiciously light.
    Perhaps I'm just used to the very heavy bottles that I usually receive.
    Thanks! bob
    Last edited by serph; 12th November 2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Correct spelling of Oud

Default Re: Montale Black Oud 3.3 bottle weight

well, to begin with, the Montales comes in a "metal can" format. so, it's opaque. the only way to check would be to unscrew the nozzle and empty content in a meaure flask....you may need a funnel to pour it back though....

on the weight, well, im not sure on that. but yes, cans do feel a lot lighter than bottle. hence, it might feel light overall compared to other scents.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Montale Black Aoud 3.3 bottle weight

Well, "a pint's a pound the world around" (except in the UK), so if anyone could post the weight of an empty Montale bottle, you could weigh yours and get an answer. Keep in mind Montale bottles are aluminum, and are therefore much, much lighter than the glass you are probably used to. I'm inclined to think your bottle is appropriately full.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 12th November 2008 at 04:55 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thanks, guys, I think that I have enough of a consensus. Now if I could lose some weight ....

And to add - Montale does not fill the bottle to the very top. The bottle actually holds much more liquid than the 50ml/100ml stated. If you order from the Paris store, they have the ability to add more perfume oil to the bottle to intensify the scent (not that any Montale needs it!).

But yep, they do feel very light for the size that seems like it would be heavy.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Yes, Montale bottles are extremely light. I, myself, thought the same thing when I received my first ever Montale but I can guarantee that you'll get used to it with time.

I wouldn't worry with a company like Montale. They've been around for a very long time, and are very legitimate.

Blog Entries

I just got a new Montale can and it is also very light. It must be because it is aluminum. We're used to glass which weighs a ton.BTW, I wear my Black Aoud a lot and it doesn't feel like it's getting empty any time soon.
    Last edited by kumquat; 12th November 2008 at 11:27 PM.

I don't have a Montale bottle (yet), but my Rive Gauche 125ml bottle, also in a can, weighs almost nothing compared to any glass bottle I have (even the 50ml ones)

It would still be useful to have full and empty bottle weights for 50 and 100 ml Montale's.

It would help us all who buy and sell partially used bottles to properly estimate the percentage remaining.

Basenotes Plus

I got my first 50ml bottle today and couldn't believe how small it is, it looks more like a 30ml but because of the simple shape it must be able to hold 50ml
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    I got my first 50ml bottle today and couldn't believe how small it is, it looks more like a 30ml but because of the simple shape it must be able to hold 50ml
    It's maximum capacity is actually 75ml...

Quote Originally Posted by serph View Post
    I just received a bottle of the Black Aoud large size, and it feels literally as light as a feather. I tried to shine a light through it, but my old eyes can't see the liquid line through the black container. I then turned it over and back, and heard a slight splash, which might indicate that it's almost full.

Would some kind soul who has the same size bottle tell me if it's suspiciously light.
    Perhaps I'm just used to the very heavy bottles that I usually receive.
    Thanks! bob
    You can't shine a light through aluminum. And being aluminum it won't weight anywhere near as much as a 3.4oz glass bottle.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    It would still be useful to have full and empty bottle weights for 50 and 100 ml Montale's.

It would help us all who buy and sell partially used bottles to properly estimate the percentage remaining.
    Yes! Please. I actually bought a partially used 100ml Montale bottle that was declared to be almost full, but it appears almost empty. I need to know the percentage or volume of the remaining perfume.

Blog Entries

I think its the standard thing with metal cans. Be it Montales, Eau d'Italies, Rive Gauches or anything else. They are very light. If you shake them a little to get an idea of how full they are, you'd be disappointed as well. But I'd assume they know what they are doing and how much is 100ml, than think I'm not getting what I paid for.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Banned

In regards to how much the bottles actually "look" like they will hold - keep in mind it is metal so the thickness of the outer walls are much thinner making the bottle more capacious. (compared to glass, which are quite thick if you look through the bottom of the bottle.)

I thought this would be common sense, but I guess not

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    I thought this would be common sense, but I guess not
    Ditto

I actually purchased a used bottle off of a BN'er recently that was advertised as estimated at 70% full. When I received it and held the bottle it seemed to have less then 1/2 the contents (I estimated 40%).

I asked 3 other people how much they thought was in the bottle and the responses varied from 25% to 40%.

I realized that the top screwed off, so I took off the top and peered inside to see the level at where the juice was in the container and it was at about 40%.

After several polite emails back and forth to the seller (who was very patient and understanding and offered a refund, to send a bottle at his cost to measure the juice etc etc), I then carefully poured the juice out and measure it ... and low and behold 74mls (74%).

Don't let the half empty container fool you, it is probably full, but when in doubt measure (you can get a large syringe from your local pharmacy for cheap).

I recently got 2 Montales & like everyone else have been amazed at the lightness of the bottles, not to mention how small 50ml seems. I've noticed people say they have unscrewed their Montale bottles. I wanted to have a little peep at the liquid but I can't seen to do it - the top seems to be stuck fast. I haven't used all my strength as I didn't want to force it open. Did anyone else have to work hard to open it? Should I leave it as is?
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.

I have 74 Montales in my collection - all full and large and the weight seems to vary from feather light to substantial weight. I think the bottles are not all constructed equally but have never opened one to check the contents.

Yes, they have that weight 'thing' that still puzzles me. I have bought all my Montales from stores that carry the line, and they never felt properly full. Maybe someone who has an empty Montale bottle could measure how much liquid it actually holds? My guess is around 120 ml for the 100 ml that is currently their 'official' size.

Aluminum traditionally will be far lighter than the thick glass bottles most fragrances come in. Just some food for thought...

i had the same experience with Rive gauche in the aluminium can, seemed very light when i bought it

I do not doubt that the bottles hold what they're meant to (as other fragrance houses bulk up on the packaging) but I agree that it would be lovely if a kind soul with an empty Montale bottle would weigh it, just for curiosity sake :-)

I love the bottles btw, they're stunning.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.