Code of Conduct

Thread: L.Turin at TED

Default L.Turin at TED

What's the science behind a sublime perfume? With charm and precision, biophysicist Luca Turin explains the molecular makeup -- and the art -- of a scent.
    About Luca Turin

Biophysicist Luca Turin studies the science of smell. He's the author of Perfumes: The Guide, and the subject of Chandler Burr's 2003 book The Emperor of Scent. His next project: developing an… Full bio and more links

TED's mission is to spread ideas, and we encourage you to share these talks widely: Email them; link to them; embed them in your website; show them in your classroom; discuss them at a salon... All our videos are distributed under a Creative Commons license, so they can be freely played and reposted (so long as you follow certain guidelines).

Default Re: L.Turin at TED

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Thanks for the link.
    You're welcome. The TED lectures are fascinating and there are a lot of them and they stream very well.

Only wish that Luca's was longer.

Cool blog Ruggles!

G
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 12th November 2008 at 08:36 PM.

, amigo Fred !
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Thanks Narcus. The TED lectures are attended by the other lecturers. Hi IQ's meet high IQ's. It's been going on about 20 years and I discovered it following the big boys in Computer Graphics boards way back in 90' or so.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 12th November 2008 at 08:42 PM.

Very interesting, and too short.

As a subscriber to Perfumes The Guide updates, I also received this link to TED yesterday. May I emphasize that this lecture was held in 2005 when "...my wife is German" was a true statement. The e-mail alert includes excerpts and links to newer Guide reviews. The one written by P. Hensher is the best review I have read so far.
    <<Philip Hensher, author of The Northern Clemency (#1 on Amazon's list), writes in his Opinion piece of Nov 10 in the Independent, "When critical intelligence is applied to a section of experience previously devoid of expressed discrimination, it is as if a light has been switched on in a murky room. ... Knowledge coupled with wit is getting rarer in this world, and everyone should read Turin and Sanchez's glorious epitome of Leavisite principles."
    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...m-1006641.html

Prospect Magazine's Michael Bywater calls the GUIDE a "bigoted, snarling, monomaniacal, subjective, triumphalist, and quite magnificent book."
    http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=10422>>
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.