Code of Conduct

Default Looking for something like...

Dolce & Gabbana "The One for Men"

First of, I'm 20. I only used two fragrances in my life: Aqua Di Gio and Joop Summer Temptation and both were given to me as gifts. I was thinking of going out and buying a fragrance I like on my own but didn't even know where to start so I printed off the list of most popular fragrances in the review board here (3+ pages worth) and gave it to the nice people at Holt & Renfrew last weekend and said "gimme samples!".

They set me up with a dozen to start off (after crossing off around 50% on my list that they don't even carry)

Bulgari pour Homme
    Bulgari pour Homme Soir
    Bulgari Aqua pour Homme
    Narciso Rodriguez for him (gave me a headache)
    Canali Black Diamond
    Antidote by Viktor & Rolf
    Versace pour Homme
    Versace Man
    Wood by DSQUARED
    Dolce & Gabbana "The One for Men"

Out of all of them my favorite was the D&G, but I also loved the wood in Bulgari pour Homme but not enough to buy it I don't think.

So I'm going to H&R again this weekend for the next bunch. Can someone please recommend something that is similar to D&G? (or maybe suggest some other scent "grounds" that I should cover, I'm seeking a "gentlemanly" fragrance)

Thanks!
    Last edited by blackhat; 13th November 2008 at 07:12 AM.

Default Re: Looking for something like...

Dior Homme and YSL L'Homme are both 'gentlemanly'.

As you like "The One" it maybe worth trying Davidoff Adventure (spicier), Chanel Allure (softer), and Diesel Fuel for Life (stranger!)
    HTH

Thanks Gblue, today I picked up samples of Dior Homme, L'Homme by YSL and D&G Pour Homme and also got Chanel Allure Homme sprayed on my arm.

So far, I can't stop sniffing Allure Homme. Trying the other ones over the weekend. Do you have any more recommendations? Thanks again!

Dior Homme (way too sweet for me, felt like I was a walking flower basket muraled with crayons all over the sides... sorry Gblue!)

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme (smelled great on paper but I think my skin destroys it, all I got was raging lemons fighting sage)

L'Homme by YSL (great scent, gentlemanly just like you said but just a hint too sweet)

Weirdest thing happened with D&G The One: I started smelling onion on it and the smell lingered on all my clothes even though I was very careful not to stain them. After trying so many other fragrances I think I have drastically reconsidered what I'm looking for (and it's not "The One")

Allure Homme by Chanel is amazing. I only had it sprayed on my wrist once but I can't stop thinking about the smell. I am most certain that I will get this one (although I haven't tried Égoïste or Antaeus)

Here's my new (narrowed down) list of things to try:
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed and Portugal
    Burberry - London and Brit
    L'Eau D'Lssey - Issey Miyake
    Bulgari - Black
    Versace - The Dreamer
    Dunhill
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme
    Cartier
    Hermès - Terre d'Hermès
    Chanel - All the other ones

Any others?
    You can not die until you see Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhat View Post
    Here's my new (narrowed down) list of things to try:
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed and Portugal
    Burberry - London and Brit
    L'Eau D'Lssey - Issey Miyake
    Bulgari - Black
    Versace - The Dreamer
    Dunhill
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme
    Cartier
    Hermès - Terre d'Hermès
    Chanel - All the other ones

Any others?
    You have compiled a very good list in a short period of time. You will definitely find some keepers in there for you.

If you can, please try the original Chanel Pour Monsieur (not the concentree version). It is a classical chypre, very gentlemanly and is one of the top five in my wardrobe.

Don't forget to try some Guerlains. Heritage and Derby are my favorites (Derby is in very limited distribution and will be hard to find). Habit Rouge has many admirers on Basenotes.

Finally, seek out New York by Parfums de Nicolai.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Wow, thats a great list already Maybe try Opium pour Homme as well.

I don't know if it can help, but VERA WANG for men, smells like The ONE by D&G. But its not as good as other options in your list.
    " Human beings are members of a whole,
    In creation of one essence and soul.

If one member is afflicted with pain,
    Other members uneasy will remain.

If you have no sympathy for human pain,
    The name of human you cannot retain."

Saadi (13th Century Persian Poet)

Very interesting post. I'd love to hear an update.

I am now a proud owner of Chanel Allure Pour Homme Edition (100ml). I think it's a great scent, although I will not be purchasing a second bottle because I've discovered so many other fragrances out there that I want to try. The only issue I've had was with it is longevity: doesn't last for more than 1 hour on my skin. The only solution that I've found was applying it on the inside of my clothes (then it lasts for hours and hours).

Unfortunately, I could not get my hands on New York or had the time to sample any of the Guerlains or Creeds. (although they are at the top of the list of things to try)

During the the time that I've had I sampled the rest of the Chanel collection and Gucci pour Homme and here are my thoughts.

Chanel Antaeus - Fantastic on paper but my skin destroyed it. All I got was spicy sage. Even the SA at the store was surprised.
    Chanel Egoiste - Great scent, one of my favorites out of the entire collection. I reserved this one for a business trip to Europe.
    Chanel Pour Monsieur - I thought that I would never say this but I simply do not have what it takes to wear this fragrance. It is the epitome of a mature, older gentleman. This scent has years and years on me.
    Gucci Pour Homme - Fantastic scent. A classic. The best of the line. It reminded me of home. A cold winter night, middle of a snow storm, making way across dark old city streets towards a small ancient church. Upon entering, you feel a gust of warm air upon your face yet you still feel cold enough to keep your scarf and coat on. The air inside is thick with candle smoke, a smell that is characteristic of very old orthodox cathedrals. GPH is probably the most sentimental and emotional scent I've smelled.

I want to say thank you to TwoRoads and Gblue. You guys were great help.
    Last edited by blackhat; 20th December 2008 at 10:10 PM.
    You can not die until you see Paris.

I am now a proud owner of Chanel Allure Pour Homme Edition (100ml). I think it's a great scent, although I will not be purchasing a second bottle because I've discovered so many other fragrances out there that I want to try. The only issue I've had was with it is longevity: doesn't last for more than 1 hour on my skin. The only solution that I've found was applying it on the inside of my clothes (then it lasts for hours and hours).

Unfortunately, I could not get my hands on New York or had the time to sample any of the Guerlains or Creeds. (although they are at the top of the list of things to try)

During the the time that I've had I sampled the rest of the Chanel collection and Gucci pour Homme and here are my thoughts.

Chanel Antaeus - Fantastic on paper but my skin destroyed it. All I got was spicy sage. Even the SA at the store was surprised.
    Chanel Egoiste - Great scent, one of my favorites out of the entire collection. I reserved this one for a business trip to Europe.
    Chanel Pour Monsieur - I thought that I would never say this but I simply do not have what it takes to wear this fragrance. It is the epitome of a mature, older gentleman. This scent has years and years on me.
    Gucci Pour Homme - Fantastic scent. A classic. The best of the line. It reminded me of home. A cold winter night, middle of a snow storm, making way across dark old city streets towards a small ancient church. Upon entering, you feel a gust of warm air upon your face yet you still feel cold enough to keep your scarf and coat on. The air inside is thick with candle smoke, a smell that is characteristic of very old orthodox cathedrals. GPH is probably the most sentimental and emotional scent I've smelled.

*Bashful* hehe I really love GPH too. Absolutely obsessed with it lately!

I wore Chanel pour homme for years, starting when I was about 15. I think it's a state of mind.... I just loved it though! Recently my favorite has been Guerlain's Mitsouka. Technically marketed to women, but I love it.

Anytime blackhat!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost