Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default H&M by Comme des Garcons - my review

'...This week (Thursday, the 13th) Comme des Garcons release an exclusive collection of clothes, accessories and fragrance in H&M stores around the world. Comme des Garcons fragrances are one of my favorite subjects. Those on Basenotes know I own a large portion of the fragrance line and I admire the aesthetic, marketing and edgy style. I do have my share of fragrances that I cannot wear (Odeur 53 gives me a splitting headache) or simply don’t like (Sequoia [Series 2: Red] smells so much better on other people) but I always look forward to a new CdG fragrance release. So it goes without saying that I succumbed to the hype about H&M and purchased a bottle (prior to the release to the general public) un-sniffed, which I almost never do.

A healthy dose of fizzy cedar is the first note you'll detect when applying H&M ...'

You can read my full review on the Perfume Shrine blog here.

I'd love to hear from other Basenoters who made it into H&M stores to smell the fragrance!

Default Re: H&M by Comme des Garcons - my review

I think Mike you're the very fist one. They'd have had to wake up at dawn's crack and bang on the doors of the H&M stores to open to test it. Maybe they will chime in when they get a chance though (as I will) ;-)

Nice review, and great blog. I hadn't discovered that blog yet. It's now bookmarked.

Today they're launching it here in Oslo - and by the way they're advertising, it won't be long before everyone and their monkey's uncle will be wearing it. It seemed, though, that most of the shoppers were most interested in the clothes - and were very little aware of the significance that the first bottles of "Comme des Garcons" were being sold in Norway. To celebrate this unique happening I bought a small 30 ml - after wrist testing it. It is very Comme des Garcons-ish - reminds me some of Palisander. Awhile back I had a fleeting sampling of Bond No. 9's Andy Warhole SIlver Factory. To me, there's a resemblance with Silver Factory but I could be waaaaay off on that one.
    Last edited by Delmar; 13th November 2008 at 03:04 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by helg View Post
    I think Mike you're the very fist one. They'd have had to wake up at dawn's crack and bang on the doors of the H&M stores to open to test it. Maybe they will chime in when they get a chance though (as I will) ;-)
    Interested in hearing your impressions Helg.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Nice review, and great blog. I hadn't discovered that blog yet. It's now bookmarked.
    Thanks! Yes, Helg's site is a virtual encyclopedia of fragrance information. Plus she has good taste in men. (wink)

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Today they're launching it here in Oslo - and by the way they're advertising, it won't be long before everyone and their monkey's uncle will be wearing it. It seemed, though, that most of the shoppers were most interested in the clothes - and were very little aware of the significance that the first bottles of "Comme des Garcons" were being sold in Norway. To celebrate this unique happening I bought a small 30 ml - after wrist testing it. It is very Comme des Garcons-ish - reminds me some of Palisander. Awhile back I had a fleeting sampling of Bond No. 9's Andy Warhole SIlver Factory. To me, there's a resemblance with Silver Factory but I could be waaaaay off on that one.
    Congrats scentsual!

To me, Palisander is all about rosewood and birch, and it's so sweet. Just a small amount is all I can tolerate, or it gets cloying - but then the scent fades so fast. I love it but I think Palisander is just another kind of wood note, whereas I am thinking H&M is cedar. But I could be wrong...

You are NOT off w/ the resemblance to Silver Factory. SF, is yet another metallic incense scent - which is what H&M is. The difference is SF veers off and the incense deepens intensely into very ritualistic resin-oriented incense (like those Japanese incense ceremomies whose name is escaping me now...kopal? kohdo?) and H&M stays very synthetic.

Come to think of it: I think H&M smells more like something Andy Warhol would wear, than SF does. If Warhol were alive today, he'd be sending his assistants over to H&M to pick up a bottle for him. I'm sure of it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th November 2008 at 03:16 PM.

As always Mike, an intelligent, balanced, thoughtful, and informative review.

There used to be a time when I would instantly
    blind-buy anything released by GdG. Nowadays, I am not concerned in the slightest if I don't ever get to try any of their new releases. (I have tried everything they've released, though, mostly through the good graces of some good friends sending me samples and not due to any effort on my part.) No aspersion on your review-- in fact because I trust your sense of things--I won't be hurrying to try this one. A big fat yawn for CdG.

To me the beginning of the end of their credibility was the release of the Sweet series. Remember that series: ugly packaging and ugly, banal candied water with no irony as evinced by the ugly, exorbitant prices, prices that have become an excuse for their loss of an innovative vision.

I hardly think $40.00 for a small bottle of unremarkable, unoriginal juice is cheap. At least they've succeeded in making many people think that price simply reflects value. The irony is that one can pick up large bottles of most of the CdG early classics on eBay for around that price and even cheaper if one has patience.

scentemental

P.S. An after thought: I have never really found all CdG fragrances eminently wearable. I always thought of them as occasional fragrances, but despite that, they were so distinctive, so original, they had such quiddity, that one didn't mind having bottles of the stuff around to admire just how interesting and compelling fragrance creation could really be. I can't say I feel like that anymore about their recent creations.

Last edited by scentemental; 13th November 2008 at 03:34 PM.

I'm heading over to H&M soon, I decided to let the people who camped out over night enjoy their eagerness undisturbed by me. I hope there will be something left, at least that great looking wrinkled blazer.
    BTW, great review Mike. I like the Rush comparison.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th November 2008 at 03:39 PM.

It was indeed a great read Mike... thank you for sharing your insights

I decided I would not travel the 200km distance (by train) to the nearest H&M store stocking this scent. Seems all a little too excessive to do something like that, for the sake of a fragrance Ive never tested.

excellent review Mike! very easy to understand and picturise.

btw, i sold of my incense series and CDG2 to a fellow Bner....it juts couldnt hold my interest for long...sampled O53 & Soda...again not bottle worthy...CDG just doesnt click for me i guess...maybe im tad old fashioned.

im however, keen to try Monocole, Red series and now H&M(all those gucci ph/Rush references had me interested).

I was in Holland when the first collaberation store section opened up, man it was crazy! I'm curious to know how many bottles broke in the madness of it..

I wouldn't buy it blind but if I lived in a country that has H&M I'd be there ellbowing people for clothes and a sniff
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    As always Mike, an intelligent, balanced, thoughtful, and informative review.

There used to be a time when I would instantly
    blind-buy anything released by GdG. Nowadays, I am not concerned in the slightest if I don't ever get to try any of their new releases. (I have tried everything they've released, though, mostly through the good graces of some good friends sending me samples and not due to any effort on my part.) No aspersion on your review-- in fact because I trust your sense of things--I won't be hurrying to try this one. A big fat yawn for CdG.

To me the beginning of the end of their credibility was the release of the Sweet series. Remember that series: ugly packaging and ugly, banal candied water with no irony as evinced by the ugly, exorbitant prices, prices that have become an excuse for their loss of an innovative vision.

I hardly think $40.00 for a small bottle of unremarkable, unoriginal juice is cheap. At least they've succeeded in making many people think that price simply reflects value. The irony is that one can pick up large bottles of most of the CdG early classics on eBay for around that price and even cheaper if one has patience.

scentemental

P.S. An after thought: I have never really found all CdG fragrances eminently wearable. I always thought of them as occasional fragrances, but despite that, they were so distinctive, so original, they had such quiddity, that one didn't mind having bottles of the stuff around to admire just how interesting and compelling fragrance creation could really be. I can't say I feel like that anymore about their recent creations.

Oh I think the scent is entirely original for who H&M are releasing it to. Perhaps not original to us colognoisseurs, but for most people headed into H&M today, I suspect they will think the scent is strange, daring and original. And affordable at less then $40.

I am too disheartened by CdG's 'greed' and the Energy Series was just really bad. However I must say, Hinoki redeemed my belief in CdG this year. Meanwhile i have not smelled the Stephen Jones / CdG scent yet. Too many releases!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I'm heading over to H&M soon, I decided to let the people who camped out over night enjoy their eagerness undisturbed by me. I hope there will be something left, at least that great looking wrinkled blazer.
    BTW, great review Mike. I like the Rush comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    It was indeed a great read Mike... thank you for sharing your insights

I decided I would not travel the 200km distance (by train) to the nearest H&M store stocking this scent. Seems all a little too excessive to do something like that, for the sake of a fragrance Ive never tested.
    Thanks guys! Good luck Ruggles. Dimitri - I'm sure your pocketbook thanks you.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    excellent review Mike! very easy to understand and picturise.

btw, i sold of my incense series and CDG2 to a fellow Bner....it juts couldnt hold my interest for long...sampled O53 & Soda...again not bottle worthy...CDG just doesnt click for me i guess...maybe im tad old fashioned.

im however, keen to try Monocole, Red series and now H&M(all those gucci ph/Rush references had me interested).
    Thanks J. If you don't like Soda or O53 then I would be wary of H&M. Sniff first! And try Hinoki and the Red Series while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I was in Holland when the first collaberation store section opened up, man it was crazy! I'm curious to know how many bottles broke in the madness of it..

I wouldn't buy it blind but if I lived in a country that has H&M I'd be there ellbowing people for clothes and a sniff
    Me too - no H&M in Miami yet.

Basenotes Institution

I'm headed to the airport, spending the weekend in LA. I will only be online in short spurts, so I'll reply to any questions/posts when I can get online (or as soon as I can).

:thumsbup:

Have fun Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh I think the scent is entirely original for who H&M are releasing it to. Perhaps not original to us colognoisseurs, but for most people headed into H&M today, I suspect they will think the scent is strange, daring and original. And affordable at less then $40.

I am too disheartened by CdG's 'greed' and the Energy Series was just really bad. However I must say, Hinoki redeemed my belief in CdG this year . . .
    An appeal to the tastes of the general public in order to maintain the originality and creativity behind a GdG fragrance. Is that the criterion we "colognoisseurs" use to assess a fragrance's originality and creativity these days? I guess things are worse than I thought. Anything slightly exotic is original, strange, and daring to the general public. That's not saying much.

Hinoki is, indeed, the exception to the decline in recent releases by CdG. It's not that original though. It's merit lies in the prodigious skill of perfumer Antoine Maisondieu to create an incense based fragrance without dosing it heavily with Iso E Super, and, furthermore, in his skill to resolve the garishness of Iso E Super used by blending it perfectly and synergistically with other ingredients, which is what he does so well in this fragrance. I personally think it's greedily over priced at $145.00 for a 50ml bottle. When the CdG incense series first came out, you could pick up a bottle under $50.00. You can still pick up the incense series for half the price of Hinoki. I don't know; I guess I am overly price sensitive these days given the current economic climate.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 14th November 2008 at 06:40 PM.

I don't know, I guess I am overly price sensitive these days given the current economic climate.
    scentemental
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do you feel about the introduction of 30ml bottles in this economy? Guerlain Homme and Ylang Ylang Ambre are two recent releases that have chosen this route. I'm all for it, it ends up making the ml to ml price ratio higher, but, honestly, it takes me forever to use up a 50ml.
    I avoid so many niche brands because they only offer 100ml. bottles.

Since there is an H&M here in Fort Wayne, and I do own and like CdG 2 MAN, I might head out to H&M tomorrow to take a sniff.

(What is it with Fort Wayne having H&M, but not Sephora? Weird...)
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I just got back for H&M Herald Square, the vultures picked it dry!

They're showing up on ebay as quick as people can post them up. i counted five bottles for sale about an hour ago.
    If somebody puts a buy it now up at the price I'm willing to pay I'll get one.
    If not I'll live to be a lemming another day.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

hey what about the men's trenchcoats? i wanted one of those....was everything gone? i was gonna go later...after work

Did someone snatch the tester?

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    They're showing up on ebay as quick as people can post them up. i counted five bottles for sale about an hour ago.
    If somebody puts a buy it now up at the price I'm willing to pay I'll get one.
    If not I'll live to be a lemming another day.
    When I left H&M this afternoon, there were about 40-50 untouched bottles. The trench coats were gone though. I don't recall seeing any wrinkled vests either.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    hey what about the men's trenchcoats? i wanted one of those....was everything gone? i was gonna go later...after work
    There wasn't a thing left. I asked one of the SA's if they were replenishing and he said, no, it was a one shot deal. The mannequins in the windows are still dressed in CdG. They must have had very little stock on hand. I didn't ask about the fragrance. They gave it out as a gift at the press party last night. Oh, well. (said in the voice of Eeyore.)
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th November 2008 at 11:31 PM.

I really hope the H&M store here gets this fragrance. I visit regularly, and I would love to see some CdG for a change.

Thanks for the review. Nice read as always.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

H&M Bristol had a few bottles of the fragrance left. Everything I wanted clotheswise had dissappeared, or wasn't available in my size - so I just grabbed the blue dotty t-shirt and a bottle of the fragrance. (I wanted a polo and the trench, and the burgundy shirt).

I thought the top notes smelled rubbery (bvlgari black), citrusy (paul smith story), and woody/spicy(gucci pour homme). [I don't remember Rush well enough to relate it.] Right now (4 hours after applying), it has a woody base which reminds me of M7.
    I'm not sure this is an accurate picture of the fragrance though!

The H&M online stores are opening at 11.59pm on Nov 13th (just opened here in Central Europe), to sell off remaining stock.
    The Danish online store doors have just opened and there is perfume still available, as well as a few accessories.
    Not a scrap of clothing remains though.

If you check your local H&M website, you may be able to order a bottle and have it shipped bang on 1 minute to midnight tonite!

It is now being referred to as Comme-niption.
    Here's a link to a short video of this morning's frenzy:
    http://racked.com/archives/2008/11/1..._the_video.php

guess who has 2 bottles, SEALED?
    Last edited by squirrelmilk; 14th November 2008 at 01:35 AM.
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

It is now being referred to as Comme-niption.
    Here's a link to a short video of this morning's frenzy:
    http://racked.com/archives/2008/11/1..._the_video.php
    that is really great hahaha... You NYers will have to report back and tell us how often you see those pocadot (sp??) skirts walking around thanks for the review Mike

I arrived at my H&M store at about 2:30pm and whatever was left from the morning rush was placed out front. Surprisingly, a lot was left but I wasn't impressed by the collection. Some of the shoes were nice, but they resembled either Vans or Converse sneakers. I loved the hat, but H&M had a similar style upstairs in the mens section for 20 bucks.

Anyways...to the point. I asked about the fragrance and they said it was displayed out front but all of them had been sold already. I split a bottle with Mike, so it should arrive in the mail soon, and I'll write a review then.

My first impressions were two.

The first one was the strong cedar note in the beginning, sending me back to the opening of L'Air du Desert Marocian, but in a gray and more linear way as opposed to a rich, sandy yellow and warm place. The second one was that this is almost exactly what smoked tea smells like in its raw material form, before you stir it up with water and without the honey and lemon touch. Smoked tea, such as Lapsang Souchong, is not sweet in any way, in itself. I felt totally mislead the first time I tried Tea for Two because of that, even though I ended up buying a bottle in the end. As far as the smoked tea reference is plausible, H&M, at least, makes more sense to me.
    Last edited by Noalick; 14th November 2008 at 03:08 AM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

With Mike's review on my mind I visited H&M in the afternoon when things were quieter than in the morning. When sampling, I avoid to bother with the first blasts saturated with alcohol. I also do not want to be victim of the top notes trap. So I bridged that time trying little things like that hat and taking in eyecatchers like button holes, yarned in white on black suits and coats . Everything Made in China? It's mainly the quality of the material which makes or kills a garment for me, and everything I touched felt rather cheap. That didn't raise my hopes to smell something extraordinary.

When you dilute the right kind of olibanum in ethanol - that's what my nose got from the cologne minutes after I had sprayed it to my wrist and sleeve. Cedar? Maybe a little, but dried, smoked tea leaves seem to describe the second element better (thank you Noalick). Fast forward one hour: on my ride home I had more time to concentrate on the fragrance again. By that time it was surprisingly weak. For a while I believed to have found an ideal skin scent instead: 'Incense Extrème' with an added sweetness, not like but faintly reminding of beeswax. But even that didn't last through the evening. 16 hours later, my handkerchief just brings traces of these experiences back. Far too little compared to recent experiences with the Million or Guerlain Homme. The Fragrance character suits me fine. If it lasted a decent three to five hours I might have wished to compare it to certain Lutens or well known CdG perfumes. But what's here really doesn't allow such comparisons. Irrespective of the price, I look at 1 floz bottles as generous samples unless they contain an EDP or extrait of Montale strength.

This will hopefully serve to comfort guys who wanted to but could not catch this special edition. I could have had 10 bottles even that night, but I wanted none. For the short while it lasted, the cologne smelled good though (sigh of regret)! While H&M probably gained prestige, CdG did themselves a huge disservice with that fragrance because their regular stuff is better. They also frustrated those people who missed even sniffing at a tester by an hour, or two! They should have had enough stock for a full week, and at every H& M store.
    Last edited by narcus; 16th November 2008 at 07:50 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Just FYI: This scent is already sold-out here in Finland (in their on-line store), so I guess H&M is selling it like hotcakes!

Bought my bottle yesterday and agree with pretty much all of the descriptions above. There are hints of several other CdG scents in it - the Incense, Red and Synthetics series - bound together with a prevailing smoke note. I also get hints of Black Tourmaline, Full Choke, Fracas for Men and a couple of other scents.

In a way it's like "CdG 101" for those taking a first step into CdG's niche world. And that makes it a very clever marketing device from CdG's point of view, as it will perhaps get a small number of H&M customers to explore others in the CdG range (and a small number of H&M's customers is a lot of people for a company like CdG).

Despite those challenging notes, it's an unassuming scent, so longevity isn't great, nor is silage, but while it's there it's very nice indeed. It's only €30.00 in Ireland, which isn't bad value at all, so you can just spray more generously and more often.

It's also entirely unisex, and I think it would smell great on a woman.

And I must applaud H&M for running with such a distinctive (if modest) scent when every other high volume chain store would have launched yet still another further different marine-sport-aquatic-blue-masculine scent.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Nice review Mike! I am a huge fan of all things CDG as well. I mentally smell the fragrance the way you described and although I would like it, I feel it wouldn't replace my Hinoki. I could shower in Hinoki!

Basenotes Institution

I think its hilarious how much quicker the scent sold off in US stores, rather than in Europe. Talk about hype!

Interested to hear more from those who've smelled it more than once, as to the overall impression(s).

I like to think that this review is what's keeping people from paying what's being asked by the greedy little gophers on ebay!

I've been trying it out every evening to see what I "think", after purposely spraying a bunch of cedar-based fragrances at work!
    The cedar here is as Noalick described it - grey. I think that "grey" is a suitable descriptor for the fragrance. I personally love grey, and I love the scent and it's "sweet rubber" feel. (I'm going to wait until the new year to explore the CdG series because I'm spending a little more on Christmas than I intended to!)

Quote Originally Posted by commedeshommes View Post
    I like to think that this review is what's keeping people from paying what's being asked by the greedy little gophers on ebay!
    I think the people selling this at an incredible markup right now, are not smart at all.

So there was demand. And there was a shortage. And now, as with most fleeting promos, the hype is all but gone.

In 2-3 months from now, when a number of those who HAVE purchased it realise they cant be without it, is precisely when you should be pedalling your bottles for 200% markup!

Get smart, greedy little gophers!!!

In 2-3 months from now, when a number of those who HAVE purchased it realise they cant be without it, is precisely when you should be pedalling your bottles for 200% markup!

Get smart, greedy little gophers!!!

im so glad you are out of the perfume business Dimi *roars on the floor laughing*
    Last edited by jenson; 21st November 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Squash greedy little gophers with a mallot!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    The second one was that this is almost exactly what smoked tea smells like in its raw material form, before you stir it up with water and without the honey and lemon touch. Smoked tea, such as Lapsang Souchong, is not sweet in any way, in itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Cedar? Maybe a little, but dried, smoked tea leaves seem to describe the second element better (thank you Noalick).
    I don't think I know what smoky tea leaves smell like. The only reference I have is Tea (Series 1: Leaves) by Comme des Garcons which is so bloody strong and almost gasoline/benzene in nature (think Nostalgia by SMN) - but then I remember bront82 saying it smelled just like when you go into a tea shop and they have loose leaf black teas and you go over to a large glass jar of them, take the top off and inhale. That smell. And I got none of that in H&M.

I have smelled green tea leaves, that have been roasted, and they have a decidely nutty scent. But now after hearing both of your comments, I'm intrigued that it's an accord I'm not familiar with.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st November 2008 at 04:51 PM.

Wearing this for the first time today. At the top I get the intense cedar note to start. It doesn't last very long beofre a sweet incense takes over in the heart. From there the transition to a drier more church-like incense is gradual and the transition point is a real delightful contrast between the two. I don't get the smoky tea leaf note at all on my skin. This is a pretty straightforward incense progression. I'm getting a decent amount of longevity but it is fading some around the six hour mark.
    I think that if CdG marketed this, at this price point, they would have a mass-market winner on their hands as this is different than what I imagine the typical H&M customer would have at home but not so different as to be off-putting to that person.
    I like it quite a bit and it will take its place on my incense shelf and be worn quite a bit by me.
    The comparison to Gucci Rush by Mikeperez and others have me curious to sniff that one at some point and see if that is true.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

um... Just wanted to point out, most respectfully, that I posted the first review of the H&M / Comme des Garcons fragrance on here!

Naturally, it lacks the skill, detail and finesse of mikeperez23's so I'm not surprised it went unnoticed. But I think we both reached similar conclusions.

A friend bought the scent for me. He arrived ten minutes after the store opened on the launch day (on Regent Street, London) and pretty much everything had already gone. Incidentally, I also got a plain black shirt from the range - really nicely made but the quality of the fabric is kinda ropey.

As the H&M scent is almost a straight wood with few embellishments, I've experimented layering it with other fragrances. Strangely, it completely obliterates Knize Ten but it's great with Prada's Amber pour Homme, smoothing out the soapiness and adding depth.
    * BVLGARI Black * SANTA MARIA NOVELLA Nostalgia * KNIZE Ten * DEMETER Tarnish *

H&M seems to have been made "comfortably wearable" for anyone who enjoys the cedary / incency / woody type of fragrance. I wish I could dissect the fragrance like some here can. Its a balanced fragrance with a decent (READ: non-boring) complexity and progressive feel to it. It almost seems like they took the best of Palisander, Sequoia and perhaps some of the incense series. I may be sticking my neck out here but ... I have a tiny sample of Marc Buxton's MoslBuddJewChristHinDao (Unifaith). MBJCHD has some very nice notes the H&M doesn't but there is a similarity in the overall balance of notes IMHO.

In the later drydown - is that birchtar I'm getting? I think that part of it is nice too.

Comme des Garcons is pretty much an unknown quantity here in Norway. No hype here! A few days after the opening, I went back and found many of the fragrance bottles left untouched. The price per ml isn't exactly cheap IMO ($41.67 at current exchange rate). It wouldn't surprise me if the bottles are still around for the after-Christmas sales.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdog View Post
    um... Just wanted to point out, most respectfully, that I posted the first review of the H&M / Comme des Garcons fragrance on here!
    I did see your review the other day. Nice one. Your stale mahogany Xmas cake remark made me pleased I hadn't bothered with it.

Respectfully, I think Mike first posted his review in the forum here the same day it was launched (Nov 13). Your review is dated Nov 17.

ah... didn't check the forums and just went straight to the reviews. Thought it was weird that nobody had reviewed it.

Such a minor glory, snatched away from me...

It's doing good things to its DdG stablemate Calamus, btw.

Didnt mean to snatch... and as I said - yours was a helpful review to me Thanks!

oh, snatch away. I live to give! At least my meagre write-up appears first in the Review section.

Love your blog, btw. And what a collection of miniatures, so magnificently displayed.

Basenotes is brilliant, isn't it?

A little bit of sweetness in the top, heavy on the incense (transparent smelling), with a lime acidic smell (possible Soda reference). Soft grey woodsy scent. I sort of see the Rush similarities, though if I wasn't told I would have never seen it myself.

Overall, CDG fans aren't missing out on much if they never smell this limited edition, though it's decent.

Rating: 2.75-3/5

Some of the greedy gophers liked your review too, but not enough to give you credit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180306805568

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Some of the greedy gophers liked your review too, but not enough to give you credit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180306805568

I've been plagiarized on Ebay. Yipee!!!

I totally agree with this statement. Other than Man 2 and the Cologne Series, most of CdGs are situational for me.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Notes are up on OsMoz (in French) - I think I've translated them correctly.

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin, Szechuan Pepper
    Mid: Incense, Coriander, Juniper
    Base: Cedar, Patchouli, Pine Essence, Labdanum
    Last edited by Gblue; 28th November 2008 at 11:32 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Gblue View Post
    Notes are up on OsMoz (in French) - I think I've translated them correctly.

Top: Bergamot, Mandarin, Szechuan Pepper
    Mid: Incense, Coriander, Juniper
    Base: Cedar, Patchouli, Pine Essence, Labdanum
    Great - thanks Gblue!

Schechuan pepper huh? Not smelling that one at all!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Man, that's just embarrassing. She couldn't even come up with her own description of the fragrance. How sad is that.

I finally sampled this today (thank you Noalick)

My first impressions were as follows:

1. Sharp effervescent citrus, though a very synthetic/manufactured one... much like powdered sherbet (citric acid + bicarbonate of soda). It is both sweet and acrid, and mildly "sparkling".

2. Cedar wood - perhaps dulled with rain (not a dry cedar)

3. Fleeting moments of Durbano's Rock Crystal - (resinous incense and orange).

Its not a particularly bad fragrance at all... in fact I think it's sufficiently avant garde enough for H&M's target demographic (though perhaps not so for your average Basenoter).
    Seems to hang around enough too.

Basenotes Institution

I finally sampled this today (thank you Noalick)

My first impressions were as follows:

1. Sharp effervescent citrus, though a very synthetic/manufactured one... much like powdered sherbet (citric acid + bicarbonate of soda). It is both sweet and acrid, and mildly "sparkling".

2. Cedar wood - perhaps dulled with rain (not a dry cedar)

3. Fleeting moments of Durbano's Rock Crystal - (resinous incense and orange).

Its not a particularly bad fragrance at all... in fact I think it's sufficiently avant garde enough for H&M's target demographic (though perhaps not so for your average Basenoter).
    Seems to hang around enough too.
    Glad you finally got to try it Dimitri. 'Sufficiently avant garde' sounds like a perfect description. And it does have a very synthetic sparkling effect to it, unlike champagne or soda, it's much more like a chemical reaction.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle