Code of Conduct

Default NY perfume shopping

Okay I'm 99% sure im going to NY on Dec 4 (my birthday!!!) for 10 days, and obviously I'm going to do a "little" shopping. I've composed a list of what I want and what I should check out. Tell me if I'm missing anything.
    Barneys: Le Labo and FM. I have to check out Le Labo's exclusive Tuberuese 40!
    Bergdorf Goodman: I'm really looking forward to JAR...Ill bet ill feel like a kid in acandy store
    Aedes: Ive heard excellent reviews on this little shop
    Henri Bendel
    ummmm...anything else important and exclusive to NY I'm missing?!?!
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

Blog Entries

Default Re: NY perfume shopping

Aedes is a MUST. fantastic place....go try out everything...

go to the Perfume District which is around 32nd and broadway...or near there....lots and lots of perfume shops, many of them strange and shady...many of them fantastic. you can find alot of discontinued, hard to find designer scents there for very cheap. Last time i went there, i found a bottle of Cuiron for $20.

Lafco is the official retailer of Santa Maria Novella...if you're into them, check that out.

Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys are the only two department stores i ever go to....worth checking out.

I live in Brooklyn, and in Williamsburg. If you're ever in this area, make sure you check out CB I Hate Perfumes, a small and interesting shop with lots of their own creations....

lastly, go to Noho, to the Bond No. 9 shop located on 9 Bond Street (duh!)

have a great time. don't spend too much time on just perfumes

You must go to Barneys, Bergdorf, and Aedes. Aedes will send you into heaven. When you go to Barneys, do yourself a favor and visit the LARGE perfumer area downstairs. The men's area has a small section with similar selection but it's just not as awe inspiring. You'd do well to visit the men's as well but really, start off in the big white area downstairs (where I am standing in my avatar photo sniffing L'Artisan lol). I did a big New York pilgrimage last year and the inspiration from that trip is fueling me to this day. I hope you have an AMAZING time. When you are in Barney's, don't pass up sniffing the Comme des Garcons LUXE patchouli. Sorry, I'm really into that one right now and that's the place to experience it. Oh, in the JAR room you will be a very quiet kid in a very small and quiet candy store hahaha
    Last edited by nthny; 13th November 2008 at 03:21 PM.

I been to Bergdorf but what is JAR stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by aboodchy View Post
    Okay I'm 99% sure im going to NY on Dec 4 (my birthday!!!) for 10 days, and obviously I'm going to do a "little" shopping. I've composed a list of what I want and what I should check out. Tell me if I'm missing anything.
    Barneys: Le Labo and FM. I have to check out Le Labo's exclusive Tuberuese 40!
    Bergdorf Goodman: I'm really looking forward to JAR...Ill bet ill feel like a kid in acandy store
    Aedes: Ive heard excellent reviews on this little shop
    Henri Bendel
    ummmm...anything else important and exclusive to NY I'm missing?!?!
    Check out this thread in the City Shopping Guide forum:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177429

P.S. Dec 4 is my father's birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I been to Bergdorf but what is JAR stand for?
    JAR stands for Joel Arthur Rosenthal, jeweler and perfumer.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    JAR stands for Joel Arthur Rosenthal, jeweler and perfumer.

Thanks I just checked basenote seems he only makes female perfumes am I correct?

http://www.basenotes.net/company/102614

nothing that would interest me?

I absolutely agree on Aedes. Absolute perfume HEAVEN. They are so nice there and unlike any other SAs they truly care about what they are selling and care about you finding what you love.

I think Caron is always worth a trip - if you've never smelled the urn fragrances.
    Penhaligons is also fun.
    And while I do not like the department store at all - SAKS has the Miller Harris exclusive fragrances.
    Prada on 5th Avenue has their exclusive extraits, but last time I was in Bergdorf's, they were also there, as well.
    Takashimaya on 5th Avenue also has some fabulous lines - The Different Co., Neil Morris, Santa Maria Novella.

Also - New London Pharmacy and Spafumerie also have some amazing lines.
    Last edited by MarkDavid; 13th November 2008 at 04:36 PM.
    "To be irreplaceable, one must always be different!" - Coco Chanel

visit: WWW.SNIFFAPALOOZAMAGAZINE.COM

Henri Bendel has Etat Libre d'Orange exclusively. If you like leather frags, check out their Rien. The brand gets a lot of hate here, but I think at least half of their offerings are fantastic.
    Bergdorf has Derby.
    Avoid Saks Fifth Avenue at lunchtime, an absolute circus!
    The Santa Maria Novella boutique in Nolita, around the corner from Le Labo on Lafayette Street, is amazing; they carry a few other Italian brands, too.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th November 2008 at 04:56 PM.

There's also a Bond No 9 store now on Bleecker , right by Perry Street.

there is also a very nice bond store right next to barneys on madison on 61st

Basenotes Plus

The JAR fragrances are not advertised as either masculine or feminine. I don't think they are really "advertised" at all, per se. It's an experience. Trust me. I have to be careful there, I've come very close to fainting both times I've had the JAR "experience".
    The Bond No 9 flagship store is the one on Bond Street. It's close to LAFCO, LeLabo & walking distance to L'Artisan & a long walk to AEDES. The smaller Bond stores are ok but I love looking at the scent displays & the urns at the flagship store.
    SAKS has the new Chanel experience counter. It's amazing. I'd visit SAKS, just for that.
    Go see thing that aren't available at other shops...that sort of idea.
    Have a wonderful birthday.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

OMG thnx guys!!!! uve been such a help seriously!!! cant wait...and ill try to buy stuff other than perfume lol and thnx for the bday wishes!
    Items for Sale

"Fragrance is a silent conversation. Would you keep talking, if no-one replied?''
    -Michael Edwards

Saks is now also carrying the full Guerlain line - including the amazing Sous le Vent - which until now was only available at Bergdorf.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Man you are so going to enjoy your visit to New York. I dropped in at Bergdorfs to partake in the Jar Experience once and thoroughly enjoyed it...Wow....They almost had me once in a sale...the staff here can be snooty at times but I overlooked that.. You should maybe consider having a fragrance day as you visit the different 'Juice Spots'.

Aedes...What can one say that has not been said. This place is off-the-richter for sure. The service is great and they are so happy to provide samples and it is so cool to hobnob with people who have a deep fragrance love.

Le Labo will thrill you as well. It was a little effort finding (for me) but so worth the visit.

If you do visit the fragrance district check out a few of the shops before purchasing.

Well have a great time in New York. I will be there next week myself visiting friends over the Thanksgiving period.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Yeah, pricing at the fragrance district can be all over the place so I would stop from store to store first...

Saks has Miller Harris--the only place in NYC, that I am aware of.

I've been talking to my friends who live in NYC. My next trip will be a full blown sniffrage of any and all the great stores around NYC. I can't wait!
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Off-Scenter

Make sure to hit the Guerlain boutique area at the very back of Bergdorff's cosmetics department. Great, knowledgeable sales help, and all the Guerlains (Derby, Apres l'Ondee, Vol de Nuit, Chant d'Aromes...) that you can't seem to find anywhere else stateside. Plus lots of the classics in parfum concentration. You should also try the Chanel exclusives while you're there, too.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 15th November 2008 at 06:04 PM.

from my last trip to NY:

L'Artisan on Madison Av. is cute cozy boutique , and you can cross the street to
    Tom Ford boutique for the Private Blends, the interiror is cool but sales men aren't.

& BG is a must for by Kilian, Guerlain exclusives, some hard to find Creeds, DK Essence & other more..

& Barneys for FM and Le Labo

and at Aedes you'll discover another flavour of NY & explore Eau d'Italie, Lubin & thier exclusive L'Artisan EDP.