Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 57 of 57
  1. #31

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    That advert is a shocking gay cliche and seems to contradict the sales pitch 'a gorgeous and brand new fragrance with the handsome and intelligent gay man in mind.'

    I dont get why people would feel the need to purchase a gay fragrance , are gay people more gullible than any other demographic or something

  2. #32

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    I find this whole concept idiotic. Not idiotic in that something is marketed to gay males but idiotic in that fragrances/scents/Colognes/perfumes..whatever you want to call them have no gender. You can mix up a batch of anything and it isn't going to tell you anything. There are gay and straight men here that prefer the female version of scents. There are gay and staright men that like lighter scents or what is considered more feminine scents. There are gay and straight males that like heavier scents, etc, etc, etc...........

    Now looking at the ad, that looks like a trashy bottle.

    As far as advertising. I'd think that there was some crossover in ads when you have a tan guy in speedos pimping Cool Water or D&G Light Blue. The theory that straight men will want to be like him and gay men will want to look at him. Am I wrong on that from an advertising perspective?
    Last edited by ToughCool; 14th November 2008 at 12:41 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  3. #33

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post

    As far as advertising. I'd think that there was some crossover in ads when you have a tan guy in speedos pimping Cool Water or D&G Light Blue. The theory that straight men will want to be like him and gay men will want to look at him. Am I wrong on that from an advertising perspective?
    I think you are quite right . Still Im quite offended that a fragrance is marketed exclusively towards gay people , I guess thats just me though ....

  4. #34
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    to varying degrees, targeted towards a gay demographic, and i hope that this thread doesnt blow on the embers of that unpleasantness. however....
    LOL....does this insinuate that a fragrance smells different on ( and to) someone who is gay as opposed to straight?

    Well, it better be good, or it will probably disappear in a flash. If a serious nose here likes it, I might try it. Now my question is - will it appeal to the straight nose?
    Well said. After all, does it matter who a fragrance is originally targeted at? If it smells good, it's good to go.

    Honestly, I don't want soft-core in my fragrance adverts - I want to be made to feel classy, sophisticated, and that I'm getting something interesting and unique.
    Agreed. It's all about the juice. The packaging is secondary...but it should be done with class.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Leisure Land
    Posts
    1,145

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    The first "gay" marketed fragrance was by Mister Co. I believe. This one looks like a pathetic attempt to target the gay community by biting off of the Le Male bottle along with a kitsch marketing ploy. The website looks homemade. This isn't just tacky the entire outfit looks cheap. I do know that my gay friends have a lot more care for aesthetics than my straight friends do, so it boggles me how any human in their right mind thinks Army Red will survive the market.

    About Fleur de Male, I'm a straight guy and do wear it on occasion. On me it smells a bit too much like Le Male so I don't wear it much. I hate the bada bing bad da boom tough guys with muscle shirts who wear too much Le Male. I swear if anything inspires me to knock someone out it's those fools at a club.

    Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 14th November 2008 at 03:55 PM.

  6. #36
    Wordbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,070

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    As far as advertising. I'd think that there was some crossover in ads when you have a tan guy in speedos pimping Cool Water or D&G Light Blue. The theory that straight men will want to be like him and gay men will want to look at him. Am I wrong on that from an advertising perspective?

    *takes deep breath* I guess it's time to out myself. I am an advertising copywriter by trade. (And yes, I agree with Bill Hicks.) I know that the perfume market is vastly overpopulated, with how many new releases each week? So in order to get some kind of attention, these marketing people have decided to target the 18-25 gay male demographic. Actually, a pretty smart marketing move, since these are young affluent people who spend money on going out and looking good, so this is a hot market for any grooming product. From a business standpoint, it's solid. But creatively? Gah!

    I've always thought the reason Cumming was so well-received was a) it's good juice and b) the campaign is intelligent and witty. So you perceive yourself as intelligent and witty. That's how ads work - the idea is that they offer an answer to your question, a role model, a best friend, a new and improved you...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

    I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

  7. #37
    Basenotes Plus
    Candy Perfume Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    2,068

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    No offense to the gay community (I have a very close gay friend and even a transgender friend who is drop dead gorgeous, I am not kidding. LOL. Do you notice that heterosexual people, including myself, always seem to add this caveat whenever they make such a remark that is critical, etc... re: the gay community?) but the ad looks very trashy and is not tasteful, IMHO. Well, in any event it is an untapped market in terms of fragrances.
    As a gay your comments do not offend me. Lets face it, the advert and bottle are shit. I think perfume is perfume whether it be worn by man, woman, gay, cat, dog, banana whatever! No need for labels!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

    Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

  8. #38

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    So in order to get some kind of attention, these marketing people have decided to target the 18-25 gay male demographic. .
    Personally, I think the 18-25 demographic will have better taste than this. I think it'll be the older men (bottle design makes me think the leather crowd) without much knowledge of fragrances that this will appeal to.
    Last edited by FlyingLotus; 14th November 2008 at 05:01 PM.

  9. #39

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    *takes deep breath* I guess it's time to out myself. I am an advertising copywriter by trade. (And yes, I agree with Bill Hicks.) I know that the perfume market is vastly overpopulated, with how many new releases each week? So in order to get some kind of attention, these marketing people have decided to target the 18-25 gay male demographic. Actually, a pretty smart marketing move, since these are young affluent people who spend money on going out and looking good, so this is a hot market for any grooming product. From a business standpoint, it's solid. But creatively? Gah!

    I've always thought the reason Cumming was so well-received was a) it's good juice and b) the campaign is intelligent and witty. So you perceive yourself as intelligent and witty. That's how ads work - the idea is that they offer an answer to your question, a role model, a best friend, a new and improved you...
    Thanks, nice post. My question was legit. I'm a straight male with a wife and kids and the speedo guy does nothing for me but overall I like seeing ads so I can sniff the juice. As I said above, I think it is idiotic to make a scent that is supposed to express ones sexuality. Heck I know people who might think a straight guy loving cologne is considered "gay." No offense to anyone..I have many gay friends/close family members.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  10. #40

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    The gay men I know would not touch this.

    To me, it looks like marketing for gay stereotypes, as conceived by cynical heteros with no taste.

    Distasteful and embarrassing.

    The juice probably sucks too.

  11. #41

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Army Red: The fragrance for gay communists

  12. #42
    Oaksbluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    972

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    the older gay friends of mine (and no this isn't a straight man's disclaimer. I, too, am one) have mentioned Antaeus as having been marketed to them. Prior to that? hmmm, I would imagine that beauty products overall, with their vision of a world gone right, would have been like flame for the moths of the effete aesthete.

    my two cents on this is that the ad looks like something that would pop up after your McAfee subscription ran out.

  13. #43
    itsthepens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    to varying degrees, targeted towards a gay demographic, and i hope that this thread doesnt blow on the embers of that unpleasantness. however....
    LOL....does this insinuate that a fragrance smells different on ( and to) someone who is gay as opposed to straight?
    what?! no, not in the slightest! i was talking about how posts regarding gay-targeted fragrance marketing haven't always gone down well on the boards - specifically a thread involving 'lucius vorenus' - and i was saying i hoped not to have a repeat of that!

    sirslarty - 'the fragrance for gay communists' ! i actually just coughed diet coke onto my laptop laughing at that.

  14. #44
    silverbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    4,904
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Do they have heterosexual targeted fragrances

  15. #45

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    The bottle and the picture of the young man are done without class.....Looks to me like this would be a Great turn-off to any community.....Including the Gay community.
    Gary

  16. #46

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    It says most about the people making and marketing those bottles - whoever they are.

  17. #47

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Ugliest. Bottle. Ever.

    I doubt that the actual fragrance fares too well, either.

    I also think that this ad is offensive to gay men, and I'm one of them.

    In other words, three strikes and it's out.

  18. #48

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    No offense to the gay community (I have a very close gay friend and even a transgender friend who is drop dead gorgeous, I am not kidding. LOL. Do you notice that heterosexual people, including myself, always seem to add this caveat whenever they make such a remark that is critical, etc... re: the gay community?) but the ad looks very trashy and is not tasteful, IMHO. Well, in any event it is an untapped market in terms of fragrances.
    Speaking as a gay man here, I completely agree with you about the trashiness.

    It's a stupid marketing ploy, and I'm sure it's bound raise a few eyebrows in its stereotyping.

    And no one needs a caveat... even if you are a lawyer....

  19. #49

    narcus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Königl. Preussen
    Posts
    4,581

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    the older gay friends of mine (and no this isn't a straight man's disclaimer. I, too, am one) have mentioned Antaeus as having been marketed to them...
    Rumors within gay communities seem to spread as wide as in the fashion and fragrance world. I had heard this one before but there is no substance to it, Oaksbluff.

    Chanel have never marketed any fragrance to gay customers in the past. And if - über masculine Antaeus wouldn't have been the best candidate. By the end of the seventies the perfume market for men had really just started to expand, and perfume brands were trying to convince heterosexual men that they had something better in store for them than after shaves and a classical, non floral cologne. What your friends may be referring to is perhaps something that Luca Turin said on several occasions, and again here:
    << I have it on good authority that the fragrance was christened by the great publisher Dan Halpern, who at the time ran a literary magazine of the same name, during a coversation with Chanel's owner, Jacques Wertheimer. I confess I missed the point of Antaeus when it first came out in 1981, partly because it became the first gay masculine fragrance, and several years had to pass before the guys learned to use less than half a bottle per day....>> Perfumes, The Guide, p.73

    added: Turin had gained that first impression where he had lived in the eighties: Paris, not London, Rome or New York! I googled for a picture of Antaeus 1981 and found this on a Hungarian website, newer, I suspect.



    Antaeus, the mythical figure,was married.
    Images Parfums has two more. (84 and ??) :
    Last edited by narcus; 15th November 2008 at 03:27 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  20. #50
    Oaksbluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    972

    Talking Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Rumors within gay communities seem to spread as wide as in the fashion and fragrance world. I had heard this one before but there is no substance to it, Oaksbluff.

    Chanel have never marketed any fragrance to gay customers in the past. And if - über masculine Antaeus wouldn't have been the best candidate. By the end of the seventies the perfume market for men had really just started to expand, and perfume brands were trying to convince heterosexual men that they had something better in store for men than after shaves and a classical, non floral cologne. What your friends may be referring to is perhaps something that Luca Turin said on several occasions, and again here:
    << I have it on good authority that the fragrance was christened by the great publisher Dan Halpern, who at the time ran a literary magazine of the same name, during a coversation with Chanel's owner, Jacques Wertheimer. I confess I missed the point of Antaeus when it first came out in 1981, partly because it became the first gay masculine fragrance, and several years had to pass before the guys learned to use less than half a bottle per day....>> Perfumes, The Guide, p.73

    I had forgotten about that Luca Turin reference. The mentions I'd heard of such a phenomenon predates any experience I have with him, though.

    Whether or no the marketing was specific or inadvertent, it seems like the scent did become a gay "hit," as it were. I don't have any real vested interest in this being correct or erroneous. The advertising was sorta Bruce Weber-ish beefcake; perhaps this is what endeared Antaeus to the gay folk? Who can tell.

  21. #51

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    The first one that comes to my mind is.. Joop Homme.. Pink bottle and a weeery sweet smell.., and it`s for men??

  22. #52
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28,139

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Hilarious thread - I missed this when I was in LA. So much has been said that I agree with, but Silverbullet's last reply brings up a good point:

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Do they have heterosexual targeted fragrances
    In my opinion, the answer is yes! Many ads (or commercials) for fragrances show a man and a woman in romantic, erotic poses. Implying that if you're a man, women will be 'attracted' to you. Or if you're a woman, men will find you attractive, seductive, etc.

    Of course 'people' in general (on and off Basenotes) has no problem with these - since there is no stigma against heterosexuality. Yes, perhaps some of the more extremely racy ads (Webers' ads for Obsession by CK, Tom Ford's work for YSL, Gucci and his own brand, etc) stir up controversy because they tend to show a lot of skin - but ultimately they still get published, marketed, etc.

    Having said that - when have you EVER seen an ad or commercial for a fragrance, where two men (or two women) for that matter are clearly expressing attraction or lust for each other? I never have. And yet there are MANY gay men at the very top levels of the fragrance world (Tom Ford, JP Gaultier, Thierry Mugler, etc) who could easily have made this happen.

    Oh yes - and this Army Red fragrance looks extremely ridiculous. Regardless of who they've marketed it to.

  23. #53
    silverbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Posts
    4,904
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Do they have heterosexual targeted fragrances
    This is the first time I should have kept my mouth shut It was a rhetorical question. Ashikarazu.

    I also believe there is some stigma in parts of the gay community refering to heterosexual men/woman as "Oh, he/she is straight" with disdain, like it's some type of misfortune.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 20th November 2008 at 11:10 PM.

  24. #54
    Oaksbluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    972

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    when have you EVER seen an ad or commercial for a fragrance, where two men (or two women) for that matter are clearly expressing attraction or lust for each other? I never have. And yet there are MANY gay men at the very top levels of the fragrance world (Tom Ford, JP Gaultier, Thierry Mugler, etc) who could easily have made this happen.

    Oh yes - and this Army Red fragrance looks extremely ridiculous. Regardless of who they've marketed it to.
    am I imagining this, or was there a slew of JPG ads... all sort of Pierre et Gilles-ish, with guys checking each other out? I mean, not completely overt... but very much homoerotic.

  25. #55
    itsthepens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    firstly i must say i never thought this thread would garner quite so large a response! but it's certainly interesting to hear the spectrum of opinions on this one.

    as for the gaultier ads, i think pierre et gilles were actually behind some of the poster images.... i could be wrong, can anyone shed light on this?

  26. #56
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,941

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    it can smell like heaven but with that ugly,tacky and classless bottle I will never buy it.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  27. #57

    Default Re: the first gay-marketed fragrance?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Hilarious thread - I missed this when I was in LA. So much has been said that I agree with, but Silverbullet's last reply brings up a good point:



    In my opinion, the answer is yes! Many ads (or commercials) for fragrances show a man and a woman in romantic, erotic poses. Implying that if you're a man, women will be 'attracted' to you. Or if you're a woman, men will find you attractive, seductive, etc.

    Of course 'people' in general (on and off Basenotes) has no problem with these - since there is no stigma against heterosexuality. Yes, perhaps some of the more extremely racy ads (Webers' ads for Obsession by CK, Tom Ford's work for YSL, Gucci and his own brand, etc) stir up controversy because they tend to show a lot of skin - but ultimately they still get published, marketed, etc.

    Having said that - when have you EVER seen an ad or commercial for a fragrance, where two men (or two women) for that matter are clearly expressing attraction or lust for each other? I never have. And yet there are MANY gay men at the very top levels of the fragrance world (Tom Ford, JP Gaultier, Thierry Mugler, etc) who could easily have made this happen.

    Oh yes - and this Army Red fragrance looks extremely ridiculous. Regardless of who they've marketed it to.
    Very well said!

Similar Threads

  1. Fragrance Bliss: Incense Extreme by Andy Tauer
    By nthny in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 30th November 2012, 08:02 PM
  2. mega-compilation of mini-reviews [part 2!]
    By Leifer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19th March 2009, 09:50 AM
  3. Just Back From my Trip to London
    By LeeScot in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10th March 2008, 11:05 PM
  4. Best Fragrances for Gay Men?
    By Pepe Le Pew in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 20th February 2007, 02:25 AM
  5. Fifi nominees
    By socalwoman in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th February 2006, 06:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000