Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default What's your fav mascara?

Just finished my tube of rimmel eye magnifing mascara and am about to buy a new mascara, so I just wanted to know what your personal faves are.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's your fav mascara?

For casual days, I like Clinique's High Impact mascara ($14) in black. It leaves my lashes looking natural, yet adds a bit of oompf. Doesn't smear at all, nor does it flake much and washes off easily. I usually apply 1-2 coats. Can easily built more by applying a 3 or 4th coat. (I don't apply any to my lower lashes, so I don't know what would happen if you do.)

For days when I want more, I like Cover Girl's Lash Blast ($8-10) (in the fat orange tube with the short rubber bristle brush.) 2 coats built thick long lashes quickly. No smearing or flaking and washes off easily.

If you want even more oompf, use a coat or 2 of Clinique's Lash Primer ($14?) BEFORE any mascara. (Don't let dry before applying mascara, or the mascara will go on choppier.)

Needless to say, make sure you separate clumps of (any mascara) before they're fully dry.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

Post Thanks / Like

Loreal Voluminous

I use the regular and the waterproof, I love them both!

Over the years I've tried some of the pricier name brands (Shiseido, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Chanel, DiorShow, Bad Lash, the list goes on and on...) but Loreal has always worked the best for me, and is very easy on the budget. One coat for day, two for night.

Post Thanks / Like

It is odd. I go for pricy lipsticks, blushes, foundations, but always buy drugstore mascaras. Cover Girl, Maybelline, any will do. Because I replace them every two months or so, it makes a kind of sense.

I like Neutrogena's Weightless Volume mascara because it's wax-free and natural-looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of an obvious answer but Maybelline Great Lash in black. Cult cosmetics often don't work for me (Nars' Orgasm blush looks horrid on me) but I like this mascara. 'Tis cheap, and it works.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Clinique Lash Power Mascara Long Wearing Formula in Black Onyx ($14.00). My search for the holy grail of mascaras is over. This is similar to Kiss Me and other "tube" mascaras, but it lengthens fabulously without thickening too much and it does not clump! Plus, I swim in this and it doesn't budge! I remove it with my regular Paula's Choice cleanser.

I'll spend up to $30.00 for a tube of mascara, because I really need it, so I'm especially thrilled that this is so cheap!
    Last edited by Tovah; 18th November 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The only two that work for me are Hypnose by Lancome and Masterpiece by Max Factor.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Lady M on this one.I prefer Lancome's Hypnose.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Chanel Inimitable Multi Dimensional in black.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for L'Oreal Voluminous, I occasionally stray and try other brands out of curiosity, but always come back to it.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

My eyelashes are blonde, so mascara is very important to me. I've tested "hundreds" (or so it seems) over the years. What has worked the best for me is Chanel's Inimitable Multi Dimensional but I wear it in brown.
    My daughter has just started wearing mascara & she's happy with Cover Girl's Lash Blast in brown.
    I also have & enjoy wearing: MAC's Pro Lash in black, Chanel's Extracil mascara in Noir for a curling mascara & Lancome Definicils in Deep Brown as choices for evening.
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

I got several "gift with purchase" from Lancome and Clinique and that's what I've been wearing. But normally I too buy L'Oreal Voluminous and I think it's great.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll add another vote for L'Oreal Voluminous, although I don't wear it exclusively.

I also like Lancome Hypnose. I tried Lancome Virtuôse once at the makeup counter over the Hypnose I was already wearing. I was impressed! But, I haven't bought a tube yet.

Has anyone tried any of the "vibrating" mascaras out like Lancome's Ôscillation?
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I'll add another vote for L'Oreal Voluminous, although I don't wear it exclusively.

I also like Lancome Hypnose. I tried Lancome Virtuôse once at the makeup counter over the Hypnose I was already wearing. I was impressed! But, I haven't bought a tube yet.

Has anyone tried any of the "vibrating" mascaras out like Lancome's Ôscillation?
    I'm headed out to the mall today...will check this out!

Post Thanks / Like

I threw out all of my eye makeup after a serious eye-infection scare last month (half blind for a week -- it wasn't the makeup that caused it, but I thought I should start fresh). I tend to circle back to Maybelline's Volum' Express Turbo after trying higher end ones, but I'm in the mood to try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I'm headed out to the mall today...will check this out!
    I saw those in passing at the Lancôme counter a couple of weeks ago, and they scare me. I'm sure the vibration is very subtle and controlled, but it just made me so nervous, I couldn't even stop to look. Can't wait for your report, ubu!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    I saw those in passing at the Lancôme counter a couple of weeks ago, and they scare me. I'm sure the vibration is very subtle and controlled, but it just made me so nervous, I couldn't even stop to look. Can't wait for your report, ubu!
    A SA at the Lancome counter taught me that little "wiggle" trick when applying mascara. You wiggle the wand as you brush upwards. Having the wand do the wiggling automatically seems like a good idea.

Clinique naturally glossy black. Have been using for years and it's great - no clumping or messiness.
    I've occasionally tried others, on the strength of recommendations, but still keep coming back to the Clinique. Great stuff

I love Clinique's Lash Power as well. It wears like iron and removes easily by just holding a washcloth soaked with bathtub temp water to my closed eyes for a few seconds. It lengthens and defines very well, but it kind of lacks that vavoom factor. So when I want drama, I go for two coats of Diorshow Blackout to the top lashes only - almost everything besides Lash Power smudges on my bottom lashes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an on the side makeup artist. I have cases full of MAC, but when it comes to mascara I swear by Lancôme's Hypnôse Waterproof in black.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried many over the years: various Clinique mascaras, Max Factor, Boots No.7, Maybelline, Clarins, Mac but my favourite is also Lancome Hypnose. I particularly like the way the wand separates my lashes as it coats them.

Post Thanks / Like

Dior Diorshow Mascara in black and plum ( the plum is really subtle but really makes my green eyes pop). I am always up to try new mascaras ( last waste of money was Givenchy with the ball brush....great concept but the mascara was the pits)

Post Thanks / Like

Right now, I really like Lash Blast from Cover Girl. (the one in the Orange tube) I have gone through so many brands. Its hard to find a good thickening mascara that doesn't leave me with raccoon eyes four hours after I apply it. This one seems to be doing the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

My sister in law (who has no lashes practically) talked me into buying Lancomes Oscillation mascara. I have thick black eyelashes that don't require much mascara and one coat of this makes me look like I have on false eyelashes! It will be a great evening out mascara for me. If you're lashes are sparse I highly recommend it. I did not have trouble with it smearing either and it is very easy to use.

Ecco Bella
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Max Factor Calorie 2000 Aqualash since I was 15, and it seems like they are not making this anymore therefore I bought Cover Girl's Lash Blast Waterproof in Very Black online and totally fell in love with it.

tdi, Lancome's Oscillation mascara seems like a good option for me as I have very fine and sparse lashes too.
    Last edited by Coconut; 26th June 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cover Girls Lash Blast is great, as well as Lancome's Definicils and my latest fave is The Body Shop's Super Volume Mascara. I bought the full size after trying a sample. I am really impresssed. Nice brush, doesn't clump, removes easily. The black is really black. The brown is a little on the red side. I actually like a black/brown combo.

I almost forgot about Revlon's Beyond Natural. The black/brown color is really nice, but I'm not too crazy about the brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Max Factor Masterpiece and Masterpiece MAX. These I find are the ones easiest to work with, gives a natural result, and are also easy to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Prescriptives False Eyelashes. My lashes are long but thin and very light and this makes them look positively lush. It tricks people into complimenting them.

Post Thanks / Like

Lancome Hypnose gets another vote here.
    I also have the waterproof version for skiing/swimming/sad movies and rainy days. It's great too.
    Though I do also like Max Factor's Masterpiece - that's very good.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

There's a few I like:

Clinique lash doubling - usually get them in GWP
    Maybelline volum' express turbo boost - this is fab, supposed to be like one of the lancome ones
    Maybelline Colossal - the one in the big fat yellow tube with purple writing - I LOVED this one and will be buying it again.
    Elizabeth Arden - double ended two brush mascara, love this one, lovely and natural
    YSL false lash - this is lovely ,but pricey and dries up dead quickly so not worth it when can get same effect from maybelline.

Have just bought maybelline lash stiletto and max factor masterpiece as well to try out.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of Diorshow. One coat for the day and 2 for a really dramatic, evening look.

Post Thanks / Like

I started using Lancome Definicils about 2 months ago. Before that I'd been using Maybelline Great Lash for years. A huge difference in price, but for me it was sooooo worth it The Definicils makes it look almost like I'm wearing false lashes - they are long, glossy and thick. Also it stays put and doesnt end up smeary under my eyes....I had resigned myself to this being a side-effect of mascara wear. I'm a total convert. And no, I am not on commission I'm keen to try Lancome Hypnose next time, which I see is recommended by quite a few on here.

Cover Girl. Lash Blast. Brown/Black. Waterproof. Holy Grail.
    'Nuff Said!

(Although I'd love to try one of the "Luxe" Lash Blasts for fun)
    Ethereal Delights: Alien, Black Orchid, Magical Moon, Noa, Anisia Bella, Hypnotic Poison
    Sporty Fruity Florals/Sweet Playful Goodness: Creed Spring Flower, Be Delicious, Nina

I swear by L'oreal's Lashout, I get complimented on my fake eyelashes. The stuff stays in place, you don't have to use alot of it, and it's like 8 bucks. If they ever stop making it I don't know what I would do! I'm 32, I have been wearing this mascara for 20 years!!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Diorshow is great !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Cover Girl Professional (waterproof) is super cheap and stays put. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Oreal Double Extend Lash Extender & Magnifier Mascara Blackest black.
    So far the perfect mascara for my lashes.
    ~ Anais ~

Right now I'm liking Lancome Definicils in black.

As others have mentioned, L'oreal Voluminous is great, reasonably priced. Cover Girl in the pink tube is is too watery for me. I've always suspected that CG pays makeup people to CASUALLY mention the pink tube green cap thing... Nope. L'oreal Voluminous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love the "tubes" mascara. I tried the Imju one from Sephora (I think it's from Japan?). Fabulous b/c it doesn't budge, until you use a little warm water to take it off...and it comes off like little tubes (the tubes are the mascara product on your lashes!). It takes some getting used to (the first time, I thought I'd pulled my lashes out! when the panic wore off, I realized that it, indeed, was just like the packaging said).

The downside is the cost ($20+ at Sephora)..until...

A friend rec'd the L'Oreal tubes mascara. I think it's called "Double Effect Beauty Tubes" or something like that. It's double-ended - one side has a white primer. The other is the black for the color. Fabulous. Doesn't move once you put it on...stays on through heat and humidity....and just over half the price of the Imju (although I think you can get it even cheaper on sale)...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: What's your fav mascara?

Quote Originally Posted by RainDropSparkle View Post
    I love the "tubes" mascara. I tried the Imju one from Sephora (I think it's from Japan?). Fabulous b/c it doesn't budge, until you use a little warm water to take it off...and it comes off like little tubes (the tubes are the mascara product on your lashes!). It takes some getting used to (the first time, I thought I'd pulled my lashes out! when the panic wore off, I realized that it, indeed, was just like the packaging said).

The downside is the cost ($20+ at Sephora)..until...

A friend rec'd the L'Oreal tubes mascara. I think it's called "Double Effect Beauty Tubes" or something like that. It's double-ended - one side has a white primer. The other is the black for the color. Fabulous. Doesn't move once you put it on...stays on through heat and humidity....and just over half the price of the Imju (although I think you can get it even cheaper on sale)...

I have to second RainDropSparkle on the "Double Effect Beauty Tubes". This is my latest mascara purchase, and yes I got it on sale ! I'd been looking at the various brands of "Tube" mascaras, many of them costing more than Sephora's, and decided to wait until some company came out with one for less. I'm so glad it was L'Oreal because I think that L'Oreal, and Lancombe (their sister co,) make the best mascaras hands-down on the market ! Lancombe's Definicils has been a fave of mine for years. Everything that's been said above is true, it doesn't budge, and it's so easy to remove, you don't get all smeared up trying to get it off.

Another mascara that I like a lot is "L'Oreal's Volume Shocking", and "Shocking" it is, the difference it makes in your lashes ! This mascara will give you the dramatic look of false lashes, thick, long, and lush, quite astounding ! It's applied in two steps, and I've never needed a second coat. This mascara requires very careful, and precise application, so that you don't end up looking like a clown. I don't put it on with the brush that comes with it, I lift it off of the applicator with an old fashioned brush like the ones that used to came with cake, or creme mascaras, wich allows me to use a lighter touch. I'd say you have to be somewhat of a makeup expert to get it right ! Oh, and I do use the waterproof formula. This is probably a look better reserved for evening, unless you have the confidence to carry it off.

As I said before, Lancombe's Definicils is hard to beat for a really excellent everyday mascara, it's won a place in "Allure Magazine's"
    Hall of Fame for being picked by the readers as the best expensive mascara for a number of years. You don't have to spend this much for a good everyday mascara, but, as the L'Oreal girl says, "I'm worth it ! "
    " Men are like roses, watch out for the pricks." ~
    ~Unknown

" My soul travels on the smell of perfume like the souls of other men on music" ~ Charles Baudelaire 1821-1867 French Poet, critic.

" Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; " What ! You, too ? Thought I was the only one."~~Clive Staples Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

Whichever one dries the quickest! If I blink before it's dry then I've got little lash marks on my lids. I'm impatient. Same with manicures. I don't even make it out of the shop before I've ruined it. But digression aside, I've been using this new vibrating mascara by Maybelline, Pulse something, which is such a hoot. It does actually do a great job of separating the lashes, once you get the hang of it. I tried the one at Prescriptives, but I was too cheap to buy that one. I usually just buy drugstore mascaras. Almay, Maybelline, L'Oreal. I like Lancome's, though, in general.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousNose View Post
    Cover Girl. Lash Blast. Brown/Black. Waterproof. Holy Grail.
    'Nuff Said!

(Although I'd love to try one of the "Luxe" Lash Blasts for fun)
    I bought the LashBlast Luxe in Black Royale (blue) last weekend. It is very subtle with both the shimmer and color ... If you are expecting glitter and dramatic color, you will be disappointed. I didn't want drama and glitter, so I was happy.

I liked it, but not quite as much as the regular LashBlast.

I absolutely adore Benefit Bad Gal Lash in brown. It has a big fuzzy brush that expertly applies what can only be a kissing cousin of the elixer of life. It gives me great volume and I've never, ever had a clump out of it. 1 coat for work, 2 coats if I'm feeling sassy, and 3 if I'm going for that drag queen look.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

I bought the LashBlast Luxe in Black Royale (blue) last weekend. It is very subtle with both the shimmer and color ... If you are expecting glitter and dramatic color, you will be disappointed. I didn't want drama and glitter, so I was happy.

I liked it, but not quite as much as the regular LashBlast.
    I'm trying LashBlast Luxe right now. I like it, but it's just a tad dramatic for me. I think I'll try the regular, too. (I also got black and should have gotten brown or brown/black).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Diorshow...but not the waterproof...it is less waterproof on me than the regular Diorshow. or YSL Everlong.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inscentiable View Post
    I absolutely adore Benefit Bad Gal Lash in brown. It has a big fuzzy brush that expertly applies what can only be a kissing cousin of the elixer of life. It gives me great volume and I've never, ever had a clump out of it. 1 coat for work, 2 coats if I'm feeling sassy, and 3 if I'm going for that drag queen look.

I have Benefit's BadGal in Plum. The color is more subtle than I expected, but it's a nice quality overall.

For everyday, I'm back to Maybelline's Volum' Express Turbo again. I flirt with DiorShow and Definicils, but I keep coming back to MVET.

NYX Doll Eyes mascara. I read raves about both the formulas on Makeupalley.com but I picked up the Volume formula because I seem to have pretty good eyelash length. I love it and I'm on my second tube.
    I get it at Ulta.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Loreal Voluminous

I use the regular and the waterproof, I love them both!

Over the years I've tried some of the pricier name brands (Shiseido, Lancome, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Chanel, DiorShow, Bad Lash, the list goes on and on...) but Loreal has always worked the best for me, and is very easy on the budget. One coat for day, two for night.
    I totally agree. Have tried them all (except the one mentioned below....) and always go back to Voluminous. Diorshow, even in waterproof, flakes off in my eyes, it drives me crazy.

I do adore the look I get from Kiss Me Tubes mascara but I don't like the pulling off I have to do to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    Clinique Lash Power Mascara Long Wearing Formula in Black Onyx ($14.00). My search for the holy grail of mascaras is over. This is similar to Kiss Me and other "tube" mascaras, but it lengthens fabulously without thickening too much and it does not clump! Plus, I swim in this and it doesn't budge! I remove it with my regular Paula's Choice cleanser.

I'll spend up to $30.00 for a tube of mascara, because I really need it, so I'm especially thrilled that this is so cheap!
    So you don't have to PULL it off like the Kiss Me? Sounds amazing. I have oily skin and have to use waterproof mascara/eyeliner or it just melts off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just bumping this because there is really no need to start another best mascara thread. Anyway, I got a free sample of Chanel Inimitable Intense mascara in Noir 10, and it is pretty awesome BUT before I go spend $30 on black mascara, I keep seeing reviews about how awesome a $3 mascara called Best Lash Extreme Volumizing mascara by Jordana. It costs $3 dollars, at Walgreens. Anyone with other mascara recs? TIA>>>
    Last edited by Fleurine; 8th April 2012 at 01:15 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that Estee Lauder's MagnaScopic mascara is by far the best out of all the mascaras I've used over the years . I've used some Chanel mascaras recently which are also good but for overall performance and application - it's MagnaScopic for me . It goes on smoothly and generously , stays put through my three hour gym sessions but comes off easily with any make up remover . Used with EL Lash Primer Plus , it's even better . Ha , I sound like a commercial !
    So far I've changed all my make up to Chanel but I'm sticking to my MagnaScopic mascara !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will have to check out the EL, I hope they don't test on animals....I am also shopping black eyeline, that's another thread here somewhere.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Lancome girl. Definicils, Hypnose Drama, Hypnose Doll Eyes, Extensils. You name it I've got it or had it. I use different ones for different effects. Night time it's Hypnose Drama or Doll Eyes, day it's Definicils or Extensils. I'm lucky, I have long naturally curly lashes but I suffer from the strawberry blondes curse of pale lashes. Lancome do brushes that don't coat my lids as well as the lashes and don't dry out quickly

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been wearing L'Oreal Voluminous Million Lashes (the one in the gold tube). I don't think I will be purchasing this again. While it does add lots of volume, it doesn't add much length. It's way too wet, it takes forever to dry ... and it clumps easily if you don't wait long enough between coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    I will have to check out the EL, I hope they don't test on animals....I am also shopping black eyeline, that's another thread here somewhere.
    They have started as they are expanding into the Chinese market, they demand animal testing for products sold there. Lots of outrage online, also Avon.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love Lancome Definicils, and am stocked up, due to the 3 for the price of 2 offer in Nordstrom's in April. I tried Hypnose Doll Eyes, but wasn't keen on the brush, Definicils brush is skinnier and easier to manipulate.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

MAC mascara has become my guilty pleasure. They have a number of different formulas and I love them all! Here's a handy dandy mascara finder.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/...der/index.tmpl
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say really loving Givenchy Couture Noir mascara at the moment. Also Hourglass Superficial.
    DONNA

Shiseido..usually deep purple because of my green eyes. I am very sensitive to things that will aggravate my asthma, but I've used Shiseido for everything, even close to my eyes, and never had a problem. It's great, give it a try, just make sure it is new stock and don't pump air into the tube trying to ensure a dense application of mascara. You won't need it.