Code of Conduct

Default Paestum Rose ( Domenico Caraceni fans, take note... )

This past week I've been getting to know Eau d’Italie's Paestum Rose, a fragrance I rarely see mentioned here, despite the fact I think it would appeal to quite a few Basenoters.

With each wearing I like this fragrance more, and a bottle may be making its way to me sometime soon.

The official notes are "Davana, cinnamon, pink and rose pepper, coriander, blackcurrant buds, osmanthus, peony, Turkish rose, tea, elemi, incense, myrrh, opoponax, cedarwood, papyrus, patchouli, wenge, vetiver, musk, benzoin".

I'll be honest - I tried this for the reviews describing it as a rose-myrrh fragrance. It may be some strange anosmia on my part, but I cannot smell myrrh in this fragrance, despite a slight smokiness. My nose detects pepper, atlas and virginia cedar, geranium, vetiver, and most of all, rose. Obviously, others' mileage varies.

One thing that did strike me is that given Domenico Caraceni's recent demise is that this would definitely be a fragrance for fans of DC to investigate. DC is, to my nose, primarily rose-cypress-frankincense; PR is primarily rose-cedar-pepper, but they share a similar conifer-rose duality and are both excellent dry, spicy, rose fragrances.

Curious to hear what others think of this fragrance.

Default Re: Paestum Rose ( Domenico Caraceni fans, take note... )

I like Paestum Rose a lot. I got a decant of this shortly after trying Tauer's Incense Rosé--which I also like--and I immediately thought that the two perfumes were very similar. But when I got around to trying them side by side, they turned out to be quite different (I wish I were better at describing perfumes; if I were, I'd try to characterize what separates them).

At any rate, I do think that what had initially struck me as similar was the interplay between the rose and the myrrh (which I definitely get from both fragrances).

PR is certainly well worth trying. I easily worked my way through a 2.5 ml decant, though I'm not quite moved to buy a bottle of it.

Unfortunately, I've never tried Domenico Caraceni, so I can't comment on how PR compares to it.
    Last edited by PhinClio; 14th November 2008 at 01:55 PM.

I have tried PR and I have to say that it is light years behind DC. I t is not a bad fragrance, it is actually quite interesting, but it does not have the elegant evolution and the traditional chypre accord DC has. PR does not have much rose, instead, I feel it is like a herbal incense perfume. PR is a Mediterranean fragrance, a scent of Naples and Palermo. DC is more Milanesque.
    Last edited by irish; 14th November 2008 at 02:34 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I really wish I could "get" rose scents. There is SO much love for various of them on BN, but alas I just can't. I've tried Rose 31, L'ombre dans L'Eau and no. 88. I don't know if it's my untrained nose or my skin but all I smell in all of these in ROSE. It's amplified so much in each one I feel like I am swimming in millions of roses, and it eventually just suffocates me. I really wish I could find a "rose" frag that had the rose hiding further in the background. I guess my search continues.

Unfortunately, I have never tried Eau d’Italie's Paestum Rose so I can't make a comparison.

To me, Domenico Caraceni pour Homme (aka 1913) is all about the interplay between tobacco and Bulgarian rose.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    PR does not have much rose, instead, I feel it is like a herbal incense perfume.
    Strange, I find PR quite strong on rose, especially in the base.

I could never really get into DC and I know there are a lot of fans here. It turned into pure baby powder on me. My uncle has a bottle and it smells good on him but when I tried it...nope, too powdery. Anybody else get that?

PR, on the other hand is brilliant! It is one of the few scents that I can smell rose all the way into the base notes.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I could never really get into DC and I know there are a lot of fans here. It turned into pure baby powder on me. My uncle has a bottle and it smells good on him but when I tried it...nope, too powdery. Anybody else get that?
    I don't get powder, but I do get a weird note I can only call "new magazine" that means I'm not actually a huge fan of DC, though I find it pleasant and well-crafted.

I much prefer PR - my favorite "dry" rose fragrance so far.

Looking at my notes I see that I found myrrh to be the main element. For me, it brings a heady, hypnotic element, a bit perfumey-sweet but quite acceptable. I was convinced that a tinge of mysterious oud added to that ASC (altered state of consciousness) vibe. The rose note was dark, almost black and not sweet at all. This is all from my memory -- and Paestum is a memorable scent. Your thread has inspired me to revisit it!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I have both PR and DC, and while I love them nearly equally (Caraceni nosing ahead...) I don't really think of them as being similar.

P.Rose is dusty dry, almost arid, with a faint sweetness. The wood and smoke flavors are definitely stronger than the rose, for me. I've said it before: Bertrand Duchaufour, I love you(r works)!

Caraceni smells like wet, sweet roses in the humid confines of a hot house. There is some VERY strange accord running from the top through mid-progress in it that smells exactly like what I remember my dad smelling like when I was a kid. I've asked him what he wore for scent back in the late 70s early 80s; he has no idea-- clearly didn't inherit the gene there. Whatever it is, I want to say that it's the particular rose used, maybe, but this is what makes Caraceni something I'll never want to be without.

Recently, in another Caraceni fan post, I mentioned that Parfums de Rosine's Rose d'Homme reminds me a bit of a Caraceni sibling. There is a very similar rose smell, to my nose. Worth giving it a sniff, folks, as we lament the sad demise of a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    Recently, in another Caraceni fan post, I mentioned that Parfums de Rosine's Rose d'Homme reminds me a bit of a Caraceni sibling. There is a very similar rose smell, to my nose. Worth giving it a sniff, folks, as we lament the sad demise of a masterpiece.
    Last time I tried Rose d'Home I felt like it was a watered down version of 88, which shares some similarities with DC. So yes, I feel they could be related in the same way Cuervo Tradicional is related to Cabo Wabo*.

*if you do not what I am talking about, then you need to drink more tequila.
    Last edited by irish; 14th November 2008 at 11:06 PM.

oh clearly there is no equal match suggested.
    In the absence of one would the other suffice? only under duress. I might buy Rd'H while it's on sale though

I wasn't saying Paestrum Rose was a replacement for Domenico Caraceni. I just thought fans of it, who seem quite numerous on these boards, might enjoy this rose fragrance too.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Strange, I find PR quite strong on rose, especially in the base.

I do as well, in fact, I would say that PR is more rose than DC.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I wasn't saying Paestrum Rose was a replacement for Domenico Caraceni. I just thought fans of it, who seem quite numerous on these boards, might enjoy this rose fragrance too.
    I guess I should use the "quote" feature more often; my replacement commentary was based on the tequila post above mine!

as for that... I don't know too much about tequila, sadly, other than anything besides Patron silver makes me very drunk very fast.

I thought I could get to like it at first, but it turned out to be an unbearable fruity-sweet monster. I also became disenchanted recently with Caraceni, but for the opposite reason: the rose-tobacco thing was giving me heavy cases of melancolia. I've readjusted my perception though and I am back to liking it. Anyway, to me the two are at opposite poles of rose fragrances.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I thought I could get to like it at first, but it turned out to be an unbearable fruity-sweet monster. I also became disenchanted recently with Caraceni, but for the opposite reason: the rose-tobacco thing was giving me heavy cases of melancolia. I've readjusted my perception though and I am back to liking it. Anyway, to me the two are at opposite poles of rose fragrances.
    YES!

Reminds me of "Tonight I can write the saddest lines" by Pablo Neruda

Basenotes Institution

From what I remember of both of these fragrances, I tend to think of them as very different takes on rose. I like both, but own neither.

It's not a bad scent. There's something tangy and sour about it. I do like it, but it's quite fleeting on my skin, so I don't think I'll buy a bottle.

Perhaps its just my nose, but doesn't DC (of which I have just a couple samples) have a 'musky' quality about it, compared to the 'cleaner' PR? I'll be on the look-out for the coniferous aspect.

Paestum Rose has an incredible longevity on my skin, even more on clothes.
    Maximum 2 sprays!
    On my skin you smell the dark rose hours long, on my female colleague it is the incense.
    Chemistry...

I'm retrying Paestum Rose today because I got inspired by this thread I'm a little surprised at people getting incense out of this one because I literally get none. On me, PR is a soapy rosey frag, much like Turkish rosewater and old quality Roger & Gallet soap mixed together for a very fresh and pleasant scent. But hey, I only just applied it so we might still get some incense (and hopefully some spice too!) out of this.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

I used to describe Paestum Rose as a dewy rose drenched in thick resins (opoponax, myrrh) to preserve it but still keeping it dewy. This is to me one of the best concoctions from Bertrand Duchaufour. Smokiness here is just a hint and the main thing going on is a stunning unsweet bulgarian rose made airy and dewy by peony and blackcurrant and blended with a thick, almost syrupy base. I personally find it an oniric yet classic fragrance ideal on a modern dandy. Domenico Caraceni, on the other side has none of these qualities: it's a lightweight, polite scent maint to be worn by a gentleman in a classic grey suit. The whole image is fresh, airy, refined and well balanced but on the borderline of boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Domenico Caraceni, on the other side has none of these qualities: it's a lightweight, polite scent maint to be worn by a gentleman in a classic grey suit. The whole image is fresh, airy, refined and well balanced but on the borderline of boredom.

Lightweight? I think those Forester floral bases are amongst the most densely liquorous essences in the market. And the tobacco in Carcaceni just reenforces their gravitas

Polite? I could agree with "sophisticated" and "gentlemanly," but I find DC too serious and dark to be consiered polite (Floris No. 89 is polite).

grey suit, fresh, airy? I would wear heavy black velvet in a late 19th century cut with DC (picture Trent Reznor in the video of The Perfect Drug)

I other words I actually think that Paestum Rose and DC both suit an Oscar Wilde-type perfectly. The former in manic phases, the latter in depressive ones.

Well, another example how widely perceptions differ...
    Last edited by the_good_life; 20th February 2009 at 10:54 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.