Code of Conduct

Default Ever get tired of a scent? Or had one, got a replacement, and then don't feel love?

I used to love Piper. Got a bottle again, and then traded it off. Waited a month or two, and got another bottle. Now Im not all that sold on it. Thinking of ridding myself of it and getting the new Baume Du Doge by Eau d'Italie or the new Penhaligon's Elixir. Whaddaya think? How do these three compare (remember, I love sillage and longevity)?

Default Re: Ever get tired of a scent? Or had one, got a replacement, and then don't feel lo

Absolutely....I get tired of stuff quickly-so I have created a variety to 'play' with. I mostly use african oils in the cooler months anyway that gives me a break from the same ole same ole fragrances that I have.

Best,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 14th November 2008 at 03:47 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Default Re: Ever get tired of a scent? Or had one, got a replacement, and then don't feel lo

Nope. If I shell out the money for the same thing it's because it's a keeper.

That's why some members have bigger collections... More bottles means that you wear each scent less often, which means your chances of getting bored with a particular scent diminishes... Even if you do get bored, you just put it away for a few months and the magic usually comes back...

By the time I finish a bottle, I'm usually bored with the scent...

I loved Knize Ten... but I just got sick of it to the point that I didn't like it at all after a while. It was just too sweet and heavy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    That's why some members have bigger collections... More bottles means that you wear each scent less often, which means your chances of getting bored with a particular scent diminishes...
    Exactly. I try not to wear any fragrance more than once per month.

Looking at the last twelve months, there are only 15 scents that I have worn five or more times. Most worn has been 'Vintage' Tabarome at 10 times.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Yeah, I like wearing different things every day, and often have something from a sample that I'm not sure about on a wrist. When I travel I usually take a novel, something historical or philosophical, and some poems. The mind is omnivorous and restless. Can't see this as entirely a good thing but there 'tis.

To reduce the chances of getting tired of my fragrances, I rotate them. Nonetheless, there are a few that I just can't stand anymore, even though I rarely wear them. Mark Birley falls into this category. I fell out of love with it. Once one of my cherished fragrances, MB now upsets my stomach when I wear it. I still hold out the hope that my love for it would be renewed - hence I refuse to sell or trade it.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I recently fell out of love with L'air du Desert Marocain. The "break-up/aftermath" was that I decanted and sold almost the entire bottle off and ended up with about 6ml remaining in my bottle. Just for reference and "gotta have them all" purposes.

For me, the stronger ones, often niche, are more likely to become burdensome. I think it's because they often suffer from a lack of dynamism. They just sit there, and once you grow tired of that strong scent, it can really feel "heavy" and lifeless. I suggest using less juice per application and trying to avoid the top notes. Doing that might make it feel less of a burden.