Code of Conduct

Default Surprise to all Brisbane - Australia basenoters!

I'm on the Mecca Cosmetica website atm and i see Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle 50ml for $235! They have a store in Brisbane City near David Jones...im gonna go check it out!
    Plus, at David Jones they are now selling the Bond No. 9 range, but im not sure on the prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Surprise to all Brisbane - Australia basenoters!

Yep Mecca has just launched the whole Editions de Parfums line. You can buy it all from their site, but I think the only places you can get them in person at the moment are at the Meccas in Myer Sydney and Toorak. Great also about Bond No. 9. With these and the launch of Etat Libre earlier at Mecca, we're finally getting some of the interesting niche brands down under! Hooray!
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Post Thanks / Like

How much do Bond no. 9 go for in America? $260 down under seems a bit rich... Then again, it is David Jones.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

we're finally getting some of the interesting niche brands down under! Hooray!
    And yet they'll have already been much cheaper to import I daresay.

Australian retail = very last resort.

Those prices are ridiculous, ill wait for sales to even consider making a purchase. But first im on a mission to find sample...

Post Thanks / Like

While I've got the Australians together... are there any 'shop fronts' selling Creed over here? and anywhere I can sample Ambre Sultan and Ambre Précieux?

Being from Syd, Creed is sold in double bay they also have samples
    You can email them for free samples, just go to creed website
    Not sure about the others though...

For us Brisbanites, there is a shop called Libertine, tucked away in the middle of suburbia in Hardgrave road, West End. I have seen Creed, and Aqua di Palma and a host of others. But it is a small shop. I was very surprised, but very happy to see it. Hunt it down. You know you want to.

Is there a way to get perfume out of the grip of the department store duopoly? I don't buy the whole 'let in MORE department stores!' approach; they'll just use the Path-of-Least-Difference pricing tactic and at most you'll get a five-dollar saving.

Also to what extent can counter sales be haggled?
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 16th November 2008 at 04:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    How much do Bond no. 9 go for in America?
    Bond no 9 sell for about $190 - $230 USD retail.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hide & Reason View Post
    And yet they'll have already been much cheaper to import I daresay.

Australian retail = very last resort.
    Perhaps, though it gets more and more difficult and expensive to bring in fragrances these days as they are classified hazardous goods - hence Strawberrynet are starting to charge for fragrance shipments and eBay has some strict guidelines - and I suspect it will get moreso. In any case, having them locally means you can at least go and smell them over the counter!
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

For anyone in Melbourne looking for Creed I have seen it at Harolds on Collins St and at a store called Christine on Flinders Lane.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this thread, I checked out the Bonds at DJs today.

Confronted by a couple of dozen testers bottles I asked the chap there which were the masculine ones, he opened his file and had a list of four male ones, each going for A$250 per 100ml bottle.

After much searching by he and I, I tested Riverside Drive and HOT, as well as another one who's name escapes me. But the Chez Bond tester had disappeared somewhere.

I started off liking HOT best, and not thinking much of Riverside Drive, but by the end of the day it was Riverside Drive that had grabbed me the most and had the best longevity. The one who's name escapes me, was a nice leathery one, which unfortunately died off pretty quickly on me.

It's certainly a fun exercise for anyone traversing David Jones in their travels.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 17th November 2008 at 07:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Shame the only 3 DJ's stocking Bond are over east!
    Ah well - I'm fairly happy with my collection at the moment & dont feel the need to splash out 250 big ones just yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    After reading this thread, I checked out the Bonds at DJs today.

Confronted by a couple of dozen testers bottles I asked the chap there which were the masculine ones, he opened his file and had a list of four male ones, each going for A$250 per 100ml bottle.

After much searching by he and I, I tested Riverside Drive and HOT, as well as another one who's name escapes me. But the Chez Bond tester had disappeared somewhere.

I started off liking HOT best, and not thinking much of Riverside Drive, but by the end of the day it was Riverside Drive that had grabbed me the most and had the best longevity. The one who's name escapes me, was a nice leathery one, which unfortunately died off pretty quickly on me.

It's certainly a fun exercise for anyone traversing David Jones in their travels.
    Renato
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Shame the only 3 DJ's stocking Bond are over east!
    Ah well - I'm fairly happy with my collection at the moment & dont feel the need to splash out 250 big ones just yet
    Hmmm - are David Jones thick or something?
    Haven't they noticed there's been a huge boom in WA, while NSW is almost in recession?

I've no intention of splashing out either. But it's informative to know what others here have been splashing out on.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 17th November 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hmmm - are David Jones thick or something?
    Haven't they noticed there's been a huge boom in WA, while NSW is almost in recession?

Well, I don't think it's quite that. I'm in Adelaide, and I notice the difference between Rundle Mall and Bourke Street Mall - in a whole range of stock lines carried - not just in fragrances. Same with the suburban stores in Adelaide - some brands / some items are only available in the City store. That gets applied across the nation.

For example, DJs is the only department store where you can buy Speedo swimwear - and the 'Speedo Concept Stores' within DJs will only go into selected CBD stores.

There's always room for improvement, sure - but DJs increased profit the better part of 25% last year - and I don't see too many other retailers doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to check DJ's in Brisbane while I'm up there at Christmas. I'm looking for Bond's Bleecker Street! But at $250 a bottle, I'll have to start saving! Maybe I can pick up a bargain at the sales!

Hey guys, since I don't have a credit card, do you reckon that Mecca Cosmetica would ship a bottle of Musc Ravageur from Sydney to Brisbane if i asked them?

Ask the guys at Mecca in Brisbane if they can order it in for you from Sydney. Im sure that wont be a problem, they may ask you to leave a deposit.

Glad to hear that you guys have some stores that have quality niche fragrances.