Code of Conduct

Thread: Easy Scents

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easy Scents

I can't speak for everyone else here, but I know that after wearing/sampling so many complex frags, that require a certain mood/place to wear and appreciate, sometimes my olfactory "brain" needs a rest. Sometimes I want to wear something that just plain smells good. Nothing "weird" or overly abstract, just a go-to comforting, easy to appreciate, smell-good scent. Now, by no means, am I saying this is a boring frag, I don't think that easy needs to be synonymous with boring. The scent could really be from any genre as well, fresh, aquatic, green, gourmand, etc. For you what are those scent(s)? I try to have a healthy balance in my drobe between more of the complex scents, and ones where I feel comfortable in regardless of situation and I don't need to worry about the scent overwhelming me. Personally I find a lot of the Creeds I have tried to be just this type of thing which might speak to why it is a good jumping point for many newbies to this hobby. Just curious what your frags that fall under this category are?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Easy Scents

Armani Privé Vetiver Babylone is my 'easy-access' scent. It's super easy to wear and appreciate but still really quite unique.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Armani Privé Vetiver Babylone is my 'easy-access' scent. It's super easy to wear and appreciate but still really quite unique.
    I want to try it so bad, but other than TPC I don't know where to get my hands on a sample.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I want to try it so bad, but other than TPC I don't know where to get my hands on a sample.
    Saks carries the whole Privé line. After countless visits there, I didn't even realize they did until I saw a stone top in a tray near the belts. I asked someone where the rest were and the whole Privé line was hiding in the corner near the entrance to the store.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Post Thanks / Like

Armani Pour Homme or Monsieur Givenchy
    #TOP 5#: Antico Caruso, Penhaligons Racquets,Creed BayRhum Vetiver,Domenico Caraceni,Castle Forbes 1445

When want a break I reach for YSL L'Homme (which you have in your wardrobe) or Creed's Green Irish Tweed... I find that I can wear and enjoy these two regardless of the situation, clothes or my mood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Saks carries the whole Privé line. After countless visits there, I didn't even realize they did until I saw a stone top in a tray near the belts. I asked someone where the rest were and the whole Privé line was hiding in the corner near the entrance to the store.
    See, thats curious. I was a Saks on Saturday, while I forgot to ask if they had it, I pretty much sniffed everything I saw and I didn't notice it. My Saks, however, isn't any special huge Saks, so maybe only select Saks carry the line?

Post Thanks / Like

Very good choices guys, I agree on L'homme, even though I grew tired of it, I will have to give a try again. I know a lot of people here like it but I got bored real quick. My brother, LOVES, it. So we shall see.

Some suggestions: Gendarme 20, Paul Smith Extreme, AdP Colonia, Chanel Allure Sport Cologne

Post Thanks / Like

This is a really good question, and I think my answer is entirely inadequate and probably frustrating: I've been using Fragonard's Vetyver and Fragonard's Santal for "easy" scents lately. They are really fantastic in this role, and I've only recently come to higher praises of them. But they're hard to get in the US, and probably anywhere but France.

I know there are a bunch of other easy scents in my collection and that I use them for exactly this easy reason, but I can't think of them just now.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    This is a really good question, and I think my answer is entirely inadequate and probably frustrating: I've been using Fragonard's Vetyver and Fragonard's Santal for "easy" scents lately. They are really fantastic in this role, and I've only recently come to higher praises of them. But they're hard to get in the US, and probably anywhere but France.

I know there are a bunch of other easy scents in my collection and that I use them for exactly this easy reason, but I can't think of them just now.
    I always buy from fragonard on their website.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

The first thing that came to mind was Bvlgari Aqva

Off-Scenter

My "easy wear" fragrances are going to seem pretty odd, but these are some of the scents I'll wear when I really can't decide what kind of mood I'm in:

Ciel
    Derby
    L'Anarchiste
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Mitsouko
    Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat
    Dia

Go figure...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

Yea, DustB, I have sort of hit a wall with my fragrance journey. I'm sure that its just all part of the trip(hopefully its normal), but I've gotten tired of the abstract, complicated scents, and just want something easily accessible while still being unique and well-made, something that is hard to dislike. I figured( but I could be completely off base) that everyone must have these kind of days where they need that go-to scent that they will always have in their drobe, and thats where the question comes into play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeromatic View Post
    The first thing that came to mind was Bvlgari Aqva
    I thought this too. I'd also add Armani Mania
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

I am also looking for something like this. I was at Sephora on Saturday but had the kids with so couldn't take much time. I got a weak dribble spray of Dior Homme and liked it a lot. I wanted to try L'Homme also but made the mistake of hitting Guerlain Vetiver first. I couldn't get home fast enough to wash that off, and it was extremely difficult. I can still smell it on the sleeve of my coat.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, GIT, Guerlain Vetiver, L'Anarchiste, 3rd man, PuH are some of "everyday wearers".

Post Thanks / Like

I find aquatics to be perhaps the best exemplification of what I'm talking about. For the most part none are too complicated, they are fresh, pleasant, and comfortable. Granted, the genre as a whole has taking quite a few hits on BN, but for some reason I'm really digging them right now. I have been on a quest to find THE aquatic/marine scent that can accomplish what I am looking for in this quest of mine. Something both easy to appreciate, versatile and good-smelling. So far I have hound various scents that might fit the mill and I am constantly seeking/testing to try to find THE one. So far I have samples of Maestrale, Erolfa, and have Arcus coming in soon. These scents while not nearly the most complex just seem to be comforting to me, something I know will smell good.

Post Thanks / Like

Truefitt & Hill Freshman.
    Very easy, happy scent.

L'Anarchiste
    Prada Amber
    Versace PH (this one is the easiest and most versatile in my wardrobe - it's fresh and vibrant and yet refined, the drydown is sometimes [yes, sometimes only, and I don't know why it is only sometimes] very very woody and I love that. When the woody vibe doesn't surface 5 or 6 hours in though, it's underwhelming ).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

L'eau par Kenzo and Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by Hermes. Both are light, fresh, not complex, easy to wear and love.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Anarchiste... I actually traded for it because I realized that when I wanted something fresh and cheerful, I had nothing to turn to. I also feel this way about Citrus Bigarrade, but that only smells nice on me in summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Prada Infusion d'home for sure..

I need to get a bottle of that for myself soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, L'Anarchiste has been suggested more then once which is surprising considering I didn't think of it as an easy scent. Hmmm may have to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Easy scent? What about Curve or Tommy.

I know in the United States of America Curve is overused, what I like about it is that it's not available here in The Netherlands, but my cousin from the USA always sends it to me as a gift, so I wear a really "unique" scent here, nobody has ever heard about it
    Last edited by brianroy; 17th November 2008 at 10:29 PM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it's Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Dior Homme. Chanel Pour Monsieur (1955) and Fou d'Absinthe. No aquatics for me in this category - they're a bit too bright and happy, and I'm most comfortable with citrus, iris, and cedar.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan