Code of Conduct

Thread: Penhaligons

Basenotes Plus

Default Penhaligons

I absolutely love the look of these bottles and can already imagine one on my shelf but I have no idea what any of this line smell like, does anyone have any reccomendations?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Penhaligons

Pretty much everything if you are into traditional english perfumery. Endymion, Opus 1870 and Hammam Bouquet are my current favourites. English Fern, Duro, Querqus, Blenheim Bouquet and Elixir are really good as well.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Plus

Is Duro particularly limey? I'm on a real lime kick at the moment!

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Castile is neroli heaven. Me love long time.
    I don't know how much it would be over there, but the Penhaligon's scent library has 10 different types and it's pretty cheap.

My personal favourites: Endymion, Opus 1870, Elixir. Castile is a great scent I can appreciate for its sheer elegance and artistry, but rose frags are just not for me. Blenheim Bouquet has a persistent eucapyptus note which I dislike, English Fern smells uninspired and monotonous to me for some reason. Raquet's Formula smells too powedery and dated somehow. The others I haven't give more than a casual sniff so I can't really comment on them.

Lib,

I tried to see if your age was on your profile, but it's not so I don't know how old you are, but I have to say that Penhaligons fragrances are not particularly "young". Duoro is pretty traditional, as is English Fern. There's no lime in Duoro. That being said, Endymion and maybe Castile are somewhat tuned to a younger wearer, and the now defunct LP No. 9 for Men. But I really can't see a young 20-something wearing a lot of these offerings, frankly.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 15th November 2008 at 12:39 AM.

I do not think any Penhaligons is more "mature" than BMan, Amen, 19 or shalimar.
    Because you like ck one you will like Quercus.
    You may also like Endymion and lavandula.
    If you like Shalimar, then you may like Hammam.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    Is Duro particularly limey? I'm on a real lime kick at the moment!
    Although Joe_Frances has a much more refined nose than mine and is an expert in detecting notes, I'd beg to differ with him on Douro. To me, its the most lemonish/lime-ish fragrance from Penhaligon's.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

No prizes for guessing my recommendation now is there

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm going to order their sample set so I can properly test some!

Enjoy the samples.
    My favorites are:
    Blenheim Bouquet. A very frosty lemon-pine scent
    English Fern. A lovely, very Victorian and elegant fougere (green fern notes)
    Opus 1870. Superb cedar notes
    Douro. Very dry wood and spice notes.

They used to make an Extract of Limes scent but that has been discontinued.
    Try their less expensive British rivals Geo. F. Trumper or even Crabtree & Evelyn who still have their lime scents, a favorite among the British. Cheers!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

After working at my current office for almost two years, I've recently discovered a Penhaligons store on a side street parallel to the street I usually walk, daily, from my office to the underground station. Doh!

I'll have to pop in and try some of these...
    Last edited by Trebor; 15th November 2008 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm going to order their sample set so I can properly test some!
    I sent them an email a while ago requesting free samples of Opus, Castile & Endymion, and they sent me it to me within a fortnight. Great customer service.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Castile is so beautiful, a must have if you like roses and neroli.

You're going to be hooked. Well maybe. They are subtle and well blended frags. Traditional, yes but not without character. Your age is not a factor, wear what you like- not what's trendy. If you can get to Covent Garden, go to their flagship store...great spot. report back your findings.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Although Joe_Frances has a much more refined nose than mine and is an expert in detecting notes, I'd beg to differ with him on Douro. To me, its the most lemonish/lime-ish fragrance from Penhaligon's.
    I agree on Lemon, but I do not detect the lime. If lime is a predominant element one wishes to experience, I am not sure this would do it. There are a number of lime fragrances, the one I tried most recently, which has some decent longevity is the limited edition Lime by Castle Forbes.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 16th November 2008 at 02:34 AM.