Code of Conduct

Default Caron pour un Homme

I have a sample of the EDT - and may end up getting that, but when looking online, I saw there was an aftershave as well as an extrait. Does anyone have experience with any of the 3 strengths - and what would be your thoughts?

I am likely going to get a EDT, but wanted to know if the other ones were worth the effort to try out?

(Absolutely LOVE lavender and amber/vanilla. I absolutely love this one!! Don't know how I missed it! )
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Default Re: Caron pour un Homme

It really is a classic, glad you like it.

I would be very dubious to accept the claim of it being made in aftershave strength, I have never seen it at at and I have been a fan of Caron fragrances for many years. It's not mentioned on the Caron website.

The extrait is called Impact, not to be confused with the original Impact that was discontinued years ago.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Direct Cosmetics have had a bottle of aftershave listed for a while. In my experience that is a very good company, can't imagine they have listed a fake. Could be a mistake, but again given my experience with them, I doubt it.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

My suggestion, look no further than the enduring, original masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    I would be very dubious to accept the claim of it being made in aftershave strength, I have never seen it at at and I have been a fan of Caron fragrances for many years. It's not mentioned on the Caron website.

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=2242

Here you can get it! It was recently added to their classical EdT-range of PuH.

Death by vanilla.
    -

Life by vanilla!

It's a great scent and the perfect all-time every-time signature scent. Can be worn for days and days, months and months, years and years. I use the edt. A scent created in the 1930s for men, and lasted this long. What could be wrong with that? It's from before the men's market blitz of scents in the sixties and seventies. From long before. You can always boast you're wearing something created in the thirties.

One of the best lavenders there is too.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Chris...I agree. Guess what my mom wants for Mother's day? Yep, I ordered Pour Un Homme for her gift. She wears it all the time. Unfortunately, since I live close by, I don't want to get a bottle for myself because I don't want to smell like my mother!

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Chris...I agree. Guess what my mom wants for Mother's day? Yep, I ordered Pour Un Homme for her gift. She wears it all the time. Unfortunately, since I live close by, I don't want to get a bottle for myself because I don't want to smell like my mother!
    Or perhaps if you start wearing it, your mom will not want to smell like you! Chris does make it sound tempting.

Yes, this is an absolute masterpiece. A timeless classic that's always the right choice. Its genius is in the simplicity (I wouldn't go with the official pyramid with all the notes). Basically you get lavender, vanilla and amber (mostly amber to my nose). This is one of the very first scents I experienced in my life and after staying away for some years and getting into BN, I immediately remembered to go back to it. It's a comfort scent for me too. Many ladies like to use this as well.
    There is an after shave and you'll notice it's a light blue color (vs. EDT green). I don't use after shave but I suppose if you regularly use one it should be fine. According to Caron, Impact is supposed to be perfume strength but I really feel it's an EDP. It does have the lavender opening but more subdued and it quickly moves to the ambery base with very good longevity. I think it's overpriced but I see myself getting this in the future. It's time for Caron to come up with a new men's scent.
    You'll do fine with just the EDT in your wardrobe. It's affordable so one can replenish easily. For longer days, I carry a small vial with me in order to refresh--as I do with all other scents. It's a marvel that Caron can market their quality scents at reasonable prices when almost all other houses are charging so much.
    Enjoy!
    RM

Well ... I wanted to let everyone know I went ahead and ordered a bottle of EDT! After wearing it several times, I found myself liking it more and more each time - so I blew my budget and ordered it!
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Does anyone know if there's a difference in formulation between the ugly, 80's bottle with the plastic cap and the newest version? Not that it really matters, was just curious. I have the ugly bottle (cheap) and adore it. After reading about Caron's other reformulations, I wasn't sure if PuH had been tampered with as well. Their website claims to still be the original formula.

My first sampling of Caron Pour un Homme was revolting... perhaps I should give it another go after reading these comments. I was expecting and really hoping for a bigger lavender but I get too much vanilla (to me).

Hello, guys!
    Just check out the official Caron web-site - www.parfumscaron.com
    They found a new face for Caron pour un homme - Sebastien Chabal, the rugby player.
    He really looks GREAT!!!
    (but not for this scent, perhaps - at least from the very first sight. But if one takes into consideration that both scent and man are looks like archetypes in perfumery and manhood - maybe it`s the idea?)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

This gift set includes the EdT and also a 1 oz bottle of Impact, which to nose really is
    just an EdP version of the EdT formula.
    http://www.imaginationperfumery.com/...n-for-men-3098

Good price.

I think the fragrance is a fine classic, and I enjoy it. The powdery drydown may not suit
    you, though. Sample first, if possible.

There's definitely a lot of vanilla...not for someone looking for a fresh, crisp lavender. Otherwise, its beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Does anyone know if there's a difference in formulation between the ugly, 80's bottle with the plastic cap and the newest version? Not that it really matters, was just curious. I have the ugly bottle (cheap) and adore it. After reading about Caron's other reformulations, I wasn't sure if PuH had been tampered with as well. Their website claims to still be the original formula.
    I have the old bottle with the cheap lid, got it a year or so ago for only $12 - it's glorious stuff! I've also wondered what the new one is like, same bottle as Third Man, which i'm looking to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Hello, guys!
    Just check out the official Caron web-site - www.parfumscaron.com
    They found a new face for Caron pour un homme - Sebastien Chabal, the rugby player.
    He really looks GREAT!!!
    (but not for this scent, perhaps - at least from the very first sight. But if one takes into consideration that both scent and man are looks like archetypes in perfumery and manhood - maybe it`s the idea?)
    Chabal, Allez Les Bleus, Allez Chabal! What a great choice!

A neoclassical neanderthal, who apparently is into poetry and cooking as well as modelling and rugby. Rugby, after all, is not only the game they play in heaven, but also the thug's game played by gentlemen. What a player - why did Les Bleus drop him? At first glance one may think Yatagan is more his style, but in fact, from what i've read of him, PUH suits him perfectly.

Back to fragrance, PUH is one of the ones I left back in australia, this post has made me miss it dearly. It's so cheap I suppose I could buy a backup bottle (along with Third Man which I need badly!)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

There is a 750 ml bottle on offer in the Italian ebay.
    I did not know that such a packaging exists,for the specific or for any other scent!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

LAvender and Dark Chocolate... interesting but not great.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Banned

Am I the only one that gets a nasty synthetic note in this?

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    No, but some of us kind of enjoy it
    Lavender can smell synthetic because many cleaning products are scented like that.

One of the truly great fragrences. Like DustB says you can wear it day in and day out if you want, you can use it anytime day or night AND the EDT lasts all day or more. Caron has the best or at least right up there with the best masculines. PuH, 3rd man, Yatagan, L'Anarchiste, all one of a kind, all different and all, well what can I say. Not one of em smells like a urinal cake either.
    Last edited by richard d; 16th November 2008 at 04:05 PM.

Compared to Le Male (which I find shares many common notes with Pour Un Homme), it isn't that synthetic IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    Compared to Le Male (which I find shares many common notes with Pour Un Homme), it isn't that synthetic IMO.
    Now compared to A Taste Of Heaven.

Very true.

Caron Pour un Homme is pleasant enough, but if you're strictly looking for lavender then it pales in comparison to Patou Pour Homme, which is my benchmark lavender scent.
    Last edited by teflondog; 16th November 2008 at 05:59 PM.

I should mention one other thing. I will not talk price but do mention that I bought direct form the Caron Boutique a 16 oz bottle of PuH plus a really nice and included in the price, spray bottle (4.2oz) with a silver (looking) stirrup instead of a paper label (the stirrup fits just as a label but "wraps the bottle, flows up and down both sides), said silver stirrup is engraved with the same writing as the paper label. The cost, less than say a bottle of Musc Ravageur. A true bargin in the scheme of things here.
    Last edited by richard d; 16th November 2008 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
    Very true.

Caron Pour un Homme is pleasant enough, but if you're strictly looking for lavender then it pales in comparison to Patou Pour Homme, which is my benchmark lavender scent.
    I will have to try this again.

Actually, I would say a taste of heaven smells even more synthetic and simple than the Caron. Longevity is not great either. Caron has some florals and an evident tonka note that gives a nice dark chocolate smell.

I had great longevity with AToH--pretty much all day. Sillage is rather good also. This is from testing a dabber sample--can't imagine what would happen if I sprayed it!

Smile Re: Caron pour un Homme

Quote Originally Posted by richard d View Post
    I should mention one other thing. I will not talk price but do mention that I bought direct form the Caron Boutique a 16 oz bottle of PuH plus a really nice and included in the price, spray bottle (4.2oz) with a silver (looking) stirrup instead of a paper label (the stirrup fits just as a label but "wraps the bottle, flows up and down both sides), said silver stirrup is engraved with the same writing as the paper label. The cost, less than say a bottle of Musc Ravageur. A true bargin in the scheme of things here.
    Very good choice Rich
    I also own a bottle of 750 ml purchased at Caron Boutique in Paris
    Congratulations
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I find Caron in general and PuH in particular hugely overrated. Good thing most of their products are available appropriately cheaply online.

I tested the EDT a year ago and it lasted more than 12 hours on my wrist. The large bottle is now on the way to me
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto