Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default ScentMatchers claims to match any scent for $60

ScentMatchers--spotted this outfit in Google's "sponsored links" column.

I don't think anyone here would dare to give this service a try (especially given the no-returns policy), but thought you'd be entertained by SM's assertions. A number of companies claim to be able to match designer fragrances. ScentMatchers strangely doesn't post a list of recreations available the way most other fragrance mixers do.

Default Re: ScentMatchers claims to match any scent for $60

The technology doesn't exist to copy a fragrance formula exactly, and no one has access to every ingredient in the world. I see nothing horribly wrong with the idea in general, as long as you're willing to accept you're getting the poster version of a fine art painting.

this service will probably work well for perfumes that have been recently discontinued (past 25 years) and especially those using very standard industry inputs (especially synthetics). The differences will be more apparent trying to reproduce vintage perfumes that for example were using a very high percentage of (compared to today) ultra high quality sandalwood or resins that are simply no longer available in the same form

Dependent

The website is very simplistic, and no effort is made to describe any of the technology involved (e.g. GC/MS, etc) at even the most basic scientific level. The "Testimonials" link is meaningless, since a fraudulent service would obviously fabricate that content anyway. There is also a chance that the service might only duplicate top notes in a fragrance, which is a favorite scam employed by some other companies which make fragrance knock-offs.

If anyone here on BN with more than 500 posts employs this company to duplicate a fragrance, please post your evaluation of the service to this thread so we can all know the quality of your results.

Or maybe we take up a collection and do a poll to see what scent we try to duplicate. Sounds like fun. I'd donate a few $.

Blog Entries

I'd donate a few $ toward a dupe of Anne Klein II
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

In a "press release" - http://www.pr.com/press-release/118469 - they say the have recently matched some fragrances including HL Cuiron.

Has anyone tried this - I never tried the original yet.

Blog Entries

LOL.

i still can't figure out if that site is real or not......read the testimonials...."smell of my exhaust"?? that's right down my alley!

Cuiron...hmm

Dependent

If you Google the address shown in the FAQ tab of the website, the only links that come up are ones that show the location was recently for sale:

Yahoo! real estate listing
    owners.com real estate listing

The links associated with the company Scentmatchers LLC are public relations articles about Scentcrafters.com (the parent company):

scentcrafters.com PR listing

The Scentcrafters.com PR article is dated November 24, and the real estate listing is dated September 2, so it's possible the owner just bought the property and has set up shop there. The property is out in the middle of nowhere. It's so remote, Google doesn't even have a satellite image for it. And isn't it odd that a separate mailing address (e.g. P O Box or PMB) is not being used as the contact address?

Here are some complaints against the parent company:

Complaint #1
    Complaint #2
    Complaint #3

I haven't found any positive recommendations for either company on the web. The two home pages look very similar, and there is no link from the sister site to the parent. So, the owner might have spawned a new company in order to avoid his past reputation.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 1st December 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Thumbs down Re: ScentMatchers claims to match any scent for $60

Wow, I was one who was duped. I paid for the scent of Hollister August to be duplicated. Its my 17 year old daughters favorite. I just received the scent on Thursday Dec 18, 08 it truely smells like dime store perfume. When I email "Lance" he emailed me back and said I was being disrespectful and they tried to match the scent. All I told him was I was disappointed and it did not even smell remotely like Hollister August, he said if you hate it throw away, you cant send it back we will not accept it and you will have to pay for return postage. I then emailed him and said you should change you website not to say we will match any discontinued scent perfectly because its false advertising. So I am out $80 for the perfume and the lotion and will be filing with the BBB. The bottle is not even a nice as the website says it is. The writing was really small the the picture I had them put on the bottle was about 1/2" tall. Buyer beware.

wow.. what poor customer service and their attitude was just plain hostile. Incredible

So sorry you had to find out first hand ladypilot2

someone order a feuille verte and tell us what's good.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Dependent

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not. The whole thing smelled like a scam. The fact that there are no direct links from the sister company to the parent company is a clear indication that the proprietor was trying to avoid the bad reputation he acquired during operation of the parent company by spawning another one. I hate people who do things like this.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 20th December 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Very disappointing. Anybody have views on whether such a business could be economically viable? Is access to a state-of-the-art spectrascope something that only an enormous company could afford? And if one were able to get the 1919 formula for Tabac Blonde, would it be possible to get the materials and legal to distribute it?

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Very disappointing. Anybody have views on whether such a business could be economically viable? Is access to a state-of-the-art spectrascope something that only an enormous company could afford? And if one were able to get the 1919 formula for Tabac Blonde, would it be possible to get the materials and legal to distribute it?
    One could pay an analytical services company to deconstruct a perfume but it would be expensive to do so. Many people seem to think that all it requires is a GC/MS and "wham bam thank you ma'am" there is the formula... It is not that simple, especially with anything that has a large amount of natural essences. I used to analyse environmental samples for a living with the most complex GC/MS analysis a 217 component asphalt fume characterisation. It was very time consuming and I knew exactly which 217 compounds I was looking for. Throw in problems like chiral compounds (the only technique I know of to resolve chiral compounds is multidimensional GC or LC analysis which in and of itself is difficult and time consuming, and requires special hardware) , compounds of wildly differing polarities (requiring different stationary phases to resolve them) and I could see that a complex perfume would require several different types of analyses to fully characterize and deconstruct. I could see it being cheaper to go to and get a bespoke perfume made.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

That puts things in perspective very nicely, Surreality, thanks.

Dependent

surreality is right. Duplication is a much more difficult problem than just having a bespoke fragrance made. One of my undergraduate degrees is in chemistry, and as part of my analytical lab training I used to have to use GC/MS spectrometers to identify compounds. This was hard enough with samples containing only a few compounds, but the difficulty would go up tremendously with natural materials containing hundreds of chemicals. Identifying all the compounds corresponding to each of the retention time peaks would be a nightmare.

And the problem would be made even worse if there were enantiomers in the mixture (molecules which are non-superposable mirror images of each other). If the stationary phase of the GC column were not also a chiral material, such molecules would exhibit identical retention times and yet might smell completely differently. For example, one of the most common components in fragrances is linalool, and it comes in two mirror image forms --- R-linalool (a more woody form) and S-linalool (a more sweet form). An ordinary GC spectrometer with a non-chiral stationary phase cannot even separate these two compounds.

I knew that guy's website was a fake when he didn't even bother to describe at any level of detail his fragrance reconstruction procedure. The amount of science involved is just too extensive to not make even passing mention of it.

I would gladly pay someone $60 to match the scent of Axe Body Spray. It will be the best 60 dollars I have spent all year!
    Last edited by Maz24; 20th December 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Honestly, bad fragrance duplication spawns not so much from technology and science after the GC/MS analysis but from many other factors. That's all that I can say .
    Last edited by scentophile; 21st December 2008 at 01:02 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile View Post
    Honestly, bad fragrance duplication spawns not so much from technology and science after the GC/MS analysis but from many other factors. That's all that I can say .
    You're probably right. I'm sure laziness, fraud, and an obnoxiously overt desire to cheat the customer out of their hard-earned cash are all equally important factors in the particular case of ScentMatchers.com.

Aren't there reputable places that dupe the more popular frags? I have heard of people getting dupes, but never paid attention to where they came from.

Blog Entries

Yes, Asha. I had to look around for this because I also don't want to lose track of this company. 30 Roses once said that Martecci's does a great job of duplicating Laura Ashley No. 1. (Fortunately, I remembered the name of the fragrance if not of the company, so a BN search retrieved it easily). I'm itching to try and compare their Anne Klein II, but their edp prices aren't too far behind the real thing-- with shipping $18.90 for a 2ml sample, and a 1 oz bottle is $160!
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Dependent

The parent company of ScentMatchers (which is called ScentCrafters) has earned an impressive F rating from the Western Michigan Better Business Bureau. See the link here. I think that's pretty much all anyone needs to see before making a decision about whether to send them any money.

Nice find Astaroth makes you wonder how these companys can stay in business

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogsleeping View Post
    Nice find Astaroth makes you wonder how these companys can stay in business
    ... because most people are very forgiving, and the gambler running the business hasn't managed to roll snake eyes yet and piss off the wrong person. Pity, that.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Yes, Asha. I had to look around for this because I also don't want to lose track of this company. 30 Roses once said that Martecci's does a great job of duplicating Laura Ashley No. 1. (Fortunately, I remembered the name of the fragrance if not of the company, so a BN search retrieved it easily). I'm itching to try and compare their Anne Klein II, but their edp prices aren't too far behind the real thing-- with shipping $18.90 for a 2ml sample, and a 1 oz bottle is $160!
    Just to differentiate them, Martecci's isn't the same as ScentMatchers, and is located in Oklahoma, not Michigan.

I was happy with their Laura Ashley No. 1 version but I can see where the website prices-- and sample prices-- would be very off-putting. I bought my bottle at a promotional price on eBay and a sample was included so I could try it before opening the full bottle (in case I chose to return it unused.)

If anyone has the money to buy 5 kilos of the concentrate (which you can make approximately 400 100 ml EDT bottles ) as that is the minimum for the smallest perfumery companies, I can point you in the right direction. Less than that, it is not worth it for a company to do this work and produce something of quality.
    Last edited by scentophile; 26th December 2008 at 05:35 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile View Post
    If anyone has the money to buy 5 kilos of the concentrate (which you can make approximately 400 100 ml EDT bottles ) as that is the minimum for the smallest perfumery companies, I can point you in the right direction. Less than that, it is not worth it for a company to do this work and produce something of quality.
    I feel a bit like a dope for not having even considered the cost of labor in all this. $60 could only buy you about half an hour of time from a decent analytical chemist, and this is assuming all other expenses in the endeavor cost nothing (e.g. raw materials, bottles, shipping, etc). The owner of ScentMatchers apparently never even had a workable business model for accomplishing anything but fraud!

Angry Re: ScentMatchers claims to match any scent for $60

Scent Matchers appears to be a scam. I gave Scent Matchers a try, wanted to see if they could re-create Love's Musky Jasmine as it was a favorite of mine and several friends, and I thought it would make a fun gift for everyone if they were successful. I was taken, do not bother with Scentmatchers, they take your money immediately and then it took nearly 8 weeks to receive a bottle of what could at best be described as a mild Jasmine oil scent. I am still in the process of trying to return the bottle for a refund as they did not match or even come close to the scent I wanted. They are now trying to say they don't accept returns past 30 days from date of the order, this is laughable as they did not even start the order until after the 30 days was past. I think it is a scam, they deliberately postpone production past the return date and then relinquish all responsibility. Save your money! Don't be taken by Scent Matchers!
    Last edited by ruthmikos; 22nd June 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Sorry to hear you got ripped off ruthmikos. Tom Ford is coming out with a scent in September called Jasmine Musk that might be worth investigating, but expect it to be $$$! I otherwise can't think of anything that's both prominently jasmine and musk, but perhaps others will have more suggestions.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous