Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: ScentMatchers claims to match any scent for $60

Thanks for posting, Ruth. Feel free to point out this thread to the folks at Scent Matchers and let us know the final outcome. Some of us may chose to add our voices to yours if this company does not respond honorably. News can spread fast through the online fragrance communities, and this could work for or against Scent Matchers depending on their follow-through.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.
    Currently wearing: Jicky by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Interesting how most (not all)

can be found in the 50ml form

for under 60$ why pay for the

hamburger when you can have

the steak for the same price?
    I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

(Wrong post, sorry)
    Last edited by Pollux; 24th June 2009 at 02:11 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I did some experiments that website.

I tried typing Creed as the house and Habit Rouge as the fragrance. They found a match in their database.

Then Mazzolari and Apricot. Same result.

Then Sewage and Barf. Same result.

Then blank and gerbils. Same result.

Then blank and blank. Yes, they can match that too!

Then I said I wanted to make a fragrance from scratch that smelled like spinach and Martians. Again a match! They can do it!

Something seems fishy! HAHAHAHAHA
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Blog Entries

I just typed scentmatchers into google and this thread was the top return, over scentmatchers.com.

Hopefully anyone considering this company will stop by here first.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

They are definitely a scam! This company made a scent for us that we loved so we decided to add it to our line (in our shaving cream). So we order the essential oils at a cost of $400. When we received the order it was spilled all over the package. Plus they shipped it in a used skim milk jug! Even if it would have not spilled we still could not use it because of cross contamination. We have turned this over to collections and have contacted the FDA. The FDA informed us this is very much against their rules and are going to do a complete investigation.

My advice is stay away from these crooks. The more I look into this the more I see they have stolen money from many others!

Then I said I wanted to make a fragrance from scratch that smelled like spinach and Martians. Again a match! They can do it!

wanna split a bottle?
    (I'm still laughing - great test!)
    Last edited by kitz; 3rd July 2009 at 06:16 AM.

I would be very curious if they could match something elusive and increasingly hard to find (plus niche, plus expensive) like Vintage Tabarome...

Blog Entries

They can probably whip up a batch of gold & silver & fix the economy.

Someone's account of a horror story on this company:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0463772.htm
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I would be very curious if they could match something elusive and increasingly hard to find (plus niche, plus expensive) like Vintage Tabarome...
    Um, Ken, did you actually read this thread? I believe the answer is, "No, they cannot!"
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Exclamation Re: ScentMatchers claims to match any scent for $60

I just wanted to update this post to let everyone know scentmatchers is still scamming people. I was recently scammed by them. They are still claiming they can reproduce discontinued perfumes, but it is obvious that they do not have the equipment nor skill to do it. They take your money, make you wait forever, finally send you a bottle of generic rose water and refuse to refund your money. Insulting your intelligence in the meantime and unfortunately for some customers, actually posting their private personal info on the web. They are a dispicable company.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amorito View Post
    I just wanted to update this post to let everyone know scentmatchers is still scamming people. I was recently scammed by them. They are still claiming they can reproduce discontinued perfumes, but it is obvious that they do not have the equipment nor skill to do it. They take your money, make you wait forever, finally send you a bottle of generic rose water and refuse to refund your money. Insulting your intelligence in the meantime and unfortunately for some customers, actually posting their private personal info on the web. They are a dispicable company.
    Since you have been ripped off, contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) (link: http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx) and put these criminals out of business!
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    (especially given the no-returns policy)
    Anyone with more than a few intact brain cells remaining after wearing Kouros for a few years who orders or has ordered anything from them (knowing full well that they can't return it) needs to be examined by a professional.

Speaking of which, I just opened a clinic using a revolutionary new medicine (). We're taking new patients.
    Last edited by Virabhadra; 28th April 2010 at 01:42 AM.

I almost fell for the Scent Matchers scheme. Glad I did the following: Apparently, you have to type in the name of the perfume you're wanting to replicate and it'll show if they already have a sample in their database. I typed in Calvin Klein for Women (launched in 1978 and was only out for a couple of years). Oddly, it came up as one that had a match. I called and spoke with the representative who confirmed that if it shows up in their database they'll have it. I thought that to be strange, so I began fabricating names and each of them came up with a match. I see I had the same experience as Scentsitivity.

Steer clear of these frauds!

Quote Originally Posted by Amorito View Post
    Hasn't the FTC tried to investigate this?
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Had a little fun with their website.

They claim to have a sample of the discontinued scent "Library Paste and Artichokes"!

I'm so glad I saw this thread before I got scammed. They seemed like a good company too, Oh well

Guys I have experience with scent matchers. I ordered a discontinued old favourite of mine and actually received a bottle 9 weeks later to find out it was a horrible match very much a simple soapy smell much like water and dawn dishwashing soap it even had the bubbles in it. I had to write threatening e-mails for three weeks to get my money back. I told the supposed lady manager I was gonna drive to Michigan and take my money out of her purse when she went to go to the restroom. She got very defensive and accused me of being childish and I accused her of being a fake business owner who steals hard working peoples money. But I did get my money back minus the shipping charge so that's good. But yeah they are a hundred percent fake

Thumbs down Re: A July 2010 Scentmatchers Customer

In July of 2010 I ordered an old High School favorite "Venezia" by Laura Biagiatti discontinued in the 90s. It arrived in about 3 weeks as the website warns you and unfortunately the scent isn't a match to Venezia. Though there are elements in the "reacreation" that are somewhat close to the original scent and at first made me think I could keep it anyway except there was something almost rancid about it! And the scent was not detectable on my skin in about 2 hours (I tried on two different days just to make sure).

Was also disappointed that the bottle was of very poor quality and peeling and the imitation silk drawstring bag it came in was dirty upon arrival.

There have been a lot of other complaints about people not getting their money back but the day the package arrived as a return back to Scentmatchers they acknowledged the return in an email and credited my card, so no harm done.

I recently placed an order with them, then afterwards googled and found that what they used to be notorious for is not sending anything until 30 days had passed and if they got a complaint they would pretend you gave them the wrong address and they would try to count the 30 days it took them to get it to you as 30 days since purchase, thus invalidating the "money back if not satisfied within 30 days"! Fortunately, I got to them immediately saying after finding the feedback on them I wanted to cancel the order. They did refund the money, amazingly, but were very huffy about how it was too bad I trusted apocryphal stories about their company online and wouldn't give them a chance! Really disgusting people.

Default Re: A July 2010 Scentmatchers Customer

Oh, also, I forgot, there is also a hilarious post from them somewhere trying to wriggle out of all the complaints and as someone on the website said, they write as if they are so far gone you can tell they don't even realize they're doing anything wrong. So I remember it started, "It's true: our return policy was really bad for awhile there, but we've taken that situation in hand!" It's a shame that while there are resources to chase out "illegals" in this country, people like these can continue their scam for as long as there are folks with a sentimental desire to get an old perfume back.

I noticed many people who were ripped off are new to this site.

If you're about to spend $60 anyway and feel disappointed. Here are some other options open to you:-

1) Have a look for a decanting service who may have a drop of the very thing you desire
    2) Ask on here for ideas for a similar perfume. There will be many suggestions for a perfect match or two.
    3) E-bay and other such places often have older perfumes if you keep an eyes open.
    4) If all else fails, check out the DIY thread here, buy some lovely oils and get some help brewing your own similar smells. Much more fun.
    5) If even that fails, you will end up with some lovely essential oils for your bath instead.

Actually their new website now says they DO allow returns for any reason within 30 days. Considering how much some folks loved their old fragrances that are now discontinued, it seems like a reasonable alternative for those who are not possessed of a savant talent for exact olfactory matching.
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kela Kitty View Post
    Actually their new website now says they DO allow returns for any reason within 30 days. Considering how much some folks loved their old fragrances that are now discontinued, it seems like a reasonable alternative for those who are not possessed of a savant talent for exact olfactory matching.
    ;-)
    I think some of the older posts in this thread suggest that they start the 30 day clock after the order has been received, then ship so slowly the consumer has little or no time left to return the goods.

I think it's interesting to note that most of the discussion so far has been about the return policy and other shady business tactics and no long-standing basenotes member has yet offered anything good to say about the products.

Quote Originally Posted by Kela Kitty View Post
    ;-)

These are people who are scamming other folks out of their hard earned cash. They are thieves and liars, making this world a little bit of a crappier place.

Please don't defend them or call them a "reasonable alternative" to anything.

Okay, so the group was right. I got my order fully 5 weeks after paying for it (and delivery was by US Mail 8 days after the shipping label date) - worse yet, the fragrance is simply nothing like the original and has no staying-power at all. Haven't contacted them yet to try for a refund, but I'm expecting problems. Will write again when I know how much trouble I've got. Overall, my experience with ScentMatchers is about a 2 on a 10-point scale.

Blog Entries

Mumsy is right. Perhaps we need a sticky thread called "Match My Discontinued Fragrance", as a service to all these poor folks who get ripped off by ScentMatchers. In any case, we can certainly offer to help people out.

Kela Kitty - what specific fragrance were you looking for? I'm sure we could recommend something very close to what you want. You may pay more than ScentMatchers, but it will be an excellent fragrance - I'm sure. And there's no need to be embarrassed about a scent of any kind. I personally own everything from Walmart to the Guerlain boutique. Frankly, I wear my McGraw more often than my Vintage Tabarôme.

Hi Kela Kitty, what scent were you trying to match? If I know the smell or have it, I may have a stab at it and send you my version if I get anywhere near it. I don't guarantee anything so don't hold your breath. I haven't been doing it that long yet but I would enjoy the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by kitz View Post

wanna split a bottle?
    (I'm still laughing - great test!)
    Kitz, I tried much the same thing: A bespoke fragrance crafted from the fine aromas of $**+ and Shinola. Called it Eau de Toilette Publique. They can do it, God bless 'em! Not as creative as your little-green-men and little-green-vegetables, but they can magically reproduce anything you request.

Congratulations, though, to BN for having better keyword and SEO placement than even the company's own website.