Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 29 Nov "Scared To Admit I'm Wearing It" Scent Synchronization Day

Celebrities are ranked from A list superstars to Z list wannabes. And so are 'Celebuscents'. While we're quite happy to tell the world we're wearing something from the utterly tasteful and elegant Catherine Deneuve, we might struggle to admit we're wearing something with the name of a reality tv star or footballer's wife's name on the bottle.

But here at Basnotes, we're openminded fragrance afficionados who judge purely on the juice, aren't we?

So for a bit of fun, and as a challenge to try something you'd usually walk past, what about a scent synchronisation day where we all wear something that bears a celebrity name AND that pushes us out of our 'comfort zone' a bit. If you'll cheerfully wear SJP's Lovely, march into a drugstore and try one of Britney's. If you're a touch more reserved, go for Paloma Picasso or Kate Moss. Just try something new.

To give us all chance to source samples, I'm going to suggest we do it in 2 weeks' time, on Saturday 29th November. I thought a Saturday would be good because you might not want to admit to work colleagues that you smell of Paris Hilton's Can Can. (And I promise that's the last time I'll make that joke.)

Who's in?
    Last edited by tigrushka; 29th November 2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: added the date to the title
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: "Scared To Admit I'm Wearing It" Scent Synchronization Day

I'll do it. I have some Kylie Showtime I received from a friend here. I might like it.
    I'm in

I´m in for sure! :bounce:

Think I will force myself to wear the original Christina Aguilera, a scent that is so out of my comfort zone.

Great idea!

I'm in! I'll probably wear Mariah Carey M. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I think its pretty good. It's all incense on me with the faintest hint of burnt marshmallow...and I'll be damned if I don't get a compliment or two on this one every time I wear it. Go figure. Another one I have that I enjoy but haven't worn in a LONG time is Love at First Glow by J-Lo. This turns into a warm, preachy, creamy comfort scent on me. Hmmm perhaps I'll pull this one out of the vault and dust it off.

This will be fun!

I got a sample of harekuja lovers somewhere I think...but I might accidenly forget about it because I sniffed it already and it's soooooo not me And does it count as a celebscent?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

oh dear, someone gave my daughter Celine Dion's perfume, I can see it sitting on her dresser....it's round and purple. gulp. I MIGHT try it. we'll see when the day rolls around.
    She's all out of her Hilary Duff With Love. Which, I will say is quite lovely on my daughter.
    I have no clue what the Celine Dion is like.
    Don't get me wrong, she has a beautiful voice.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 16th November 2008 at 11:50 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I'm in. I have Paris Hilton's Fairy Dust near my desk...

J Lo's DESEO is a full bottle in my collection - and I LOVE IT! If I cannot find something more cheap and tawdry before 11/29, this is what I'll wear!

If you would like a sample, please pm me and I'll gladly send a small vial!

I'm in like Flynn.

I will wear some unforgivable.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

In SO in! I have both Antonio Banderas Spirit and McGraw in my wardrobe right now, but I'm ready to step up to the next level of celebrity perfumania! Sure, I'm willing to buy a spicy, animalic scent fronted by one of my favorite actors. And I have no problem admitting that I bought a country-&-western artist's scent, when it's a damn good copy of one of my favorite designer scents anyway. But to buy a 1-start scent fronted by a celebu-ditz who is primarily famous for a bad TV show and a sex tape? I need a real excuse for that one! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

PS - If anybody needs a sample of ABS or McG, just holler. Spirit is basically cinnamon musk, with the musk being just a tad over the top for this Kouros lover. Muskrats only! McGraw is very much like Givenchy Pi Neo, with the grassy, leafy note of Riverside Drive thrown in for obvious reasons. Less aqua and more vanilla. A surprisingly decent scent. Get 'em while they're hot!

I'm in! If I were really daring I would go buy that bottle I keep laughing at when I go to Marshalls. Trump. I cant stand him and his nasty comb over hair! I just cant stand the thought of giving him my money. But I have plenty of other celeb scents. (blush). I cant help the cheap impulse buys, but I'm trying.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Leave my house, AND leave my comfort zone?!

I can't bring myself to apply Manilow again.

I'll do it! I have some Live by J Lopez. It was a gift from a friend of a family member. I thought it was very sweet of her to acknowledge my love of perfume.

I'm in!

I'm in. Probably wear something by Britney or maybe HD With Love... or even the original Paris Hilton. Eek, too many celebuscents! :S

Blog Entries

Wordbird - are you going to cross-post this to the men's board? If not, I'll be sure to mention it over there, or maybe even put an ad in my sig!

Funny thread. Mine is "Lily Prune - Cotton musk" from Ulrick de Varens.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I'll join in. I think I might have a little bit of something by Stella McCartney - it was solid perfume that I bought because it was the only one I could find to travel with, when airlines first restricted liquids in your luggage. If I can't find that, I'll see what samplers there are in the shops.
    Last edited by Ailuros; 17th November 2008 at 07:33 AM.

The only thing I've got is Isabella Rosselini - does that count?
    If so. I'll join you.

I want to try the new Jessica Simpson 'Fancy' again. I got a tiny dab of it and found it hideous and artificial at first, a little better over time. I don't mind trying it again. It's so sweet I'll get a toothache!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Wordbird - are you going to cross-post this to the men's board? If not, I'll be sure to mention it over there, or maybe even put an ad in my sig!
    That's a good point - I'll do that.

As for what I"ll be wearing, well I do have Lovely in my wardrobe, but I'm planing to see if I can either persuade a Sales Assistant to give me a sample of something, or I'll just go into the shop and spritz myself with whatever I can find.

Quarry, it's OK honey! Take it slow, start with a little bit of Nanandaberry Green on one arm to bolster yourself, then give it the full Britney on the other. You can do it!!!!
    Last edited by Wordbird; 17th November 2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: teasing Joy

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ooooh! Good for you WordyBirdie....you done went and did it!! I can't wait!

Although I rully like the two celeb-scents I own (I kinda don't include designers and jewelers) Miami Glo (thanks to you Birdie!!) and Fantasy - I will use this as an excuse to try the Roucel Celine Dion that got such good press yesterday on the starting thread. Walgreens has an on-line-only sample program but they say it may take up to three or four weeks before you get your loot.

What the hell! I'll spring for under twenty bucks!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Quarry, it's OK honey! You can do it!!!!
    The Kate Moss scent doesn't sound too bad, but as a landscape ecologist, I have a problem with the invasive plants (teasel) in her ads. I know, I know.

If we do this again next year, I'll opt for the forthcoming Halle Berry scent: Fig, mimosa, olibanum, sandalwood.

I'm (probably; work and other stuff permitting) in. Great idea

PS - If anybody needs a sample of ABS or McG, just holler. Spirit is basically cinnamon musk, with the musk being just a tad over the top for this Kouros lover. Muskrats only! McGraw is very much like Givenchy Pi Neo, with the grassy, leafy note of Riverside Drive thrown in for obvious reasons. Less aqua and more vanilla. A surprisingly decent scent. Get 'em while they're hot![/QUOTE]

would love McGraw...
    Last edited by shuzkelly; 17th November 2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fun

OMG...does Britney have MORE THAN ONE SCENT???

I think I will challenge myself with Intimately Beckham. I find them the most annoying celebs around here and could never ever wear the frag (even if I loved it) because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by shuzkelly View Post
    OMG...does Britney have MORE THAN ONE SCENT???
    Britney Spears Fragrances for Women

* Believe
    * Believe Britney Spears
    * Curious
    * Curious Heart Britney Spears
    * Curious in Control
    * Fantasy
    * Fantasy Midnight
    * In Control Curious
    * In Control Curious Britney Spears
    * Midnight Fantasy
    * Midnight Fantasy Britney Spears

...and welcomewelcome!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm in. I do have a family event to go to that day, so it'll need to be a relatively well-behaved celebuscent. I'll rummage around in the store to see what testers they have out. *Shudder*

I'm in! I have somehow accumulated a small box of carded celebuscent samples, including Hilton's Heiress.

(I'm honestly a little curious about Midnight Fantasy ever since lilybelle mentioned blackberries.)
    Sniff and let sniff.

I'm and have chosen Jessica Simpson's Fancy, which I think I liked after trying a magazine sample - I want to try the real juice, now.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Britney Spears Fragrances for Women

* In Control Curious
    * In Control Curious Britney Spears

Paris is not enough. The most misnamed fragrance of all time must now be worn!

Shuzkelly - your sample of McGraw is going out tomorrow! Have you bought your black glossy cowboy hat yet?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

In case anyone's wondering who's on the who's-who list, here's Osmoz's complilation.

If I can't manage a swap or a store squirt-and-run for the day, I may wear E created by Sophia Grojsman for HRH Jelisaveta Karađorđević. Isn't a princess a celeb?

Side note to Quarry: Many thanks for the generous sample of E...the minute you said Grojsman my heart leapt!!

I've had it on now for about fifteen minutes...and let - me - tell - you.....my first thought was IRIS!! Then came some jasmine and tuberose over creamy woods with a zing of something I can't identify. Very Grojsman (those Dutch ladies do some great fragrant-y things ...must be something in the water!) ....am curious to see how she lasts.

Fun thread!

This one will be easy for me though, I have Miami Glow, and I actually like it.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

The latest Vogue has a sample of Paris Hilton's latest (forget the name - the one with the fairy theme) and it smelled generic and pretty bad on the scent strip. There's also a sample of Ralph Lauren's Notorious, which I also found generic/boring. Only sniffed both from the strip, though. I might be brave enough to actually try the P Hilton one a bit later today.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

I think if you already have a celebuscent in your wardrobe, fantastic. Though I can heartily recommend trying some others in the next couple of weeks, just because it's fun to have an excuse to try new things you wouldn't usually. I've been pleasantly surprised by some of these scents. And I honestly wouldn't have let any of them near my skin a fortnight ago. It was pure snobbery on my part, and I'll put my hand up to it.

Sounds like you have been pleasantly surprised too, Quarry! I suppose a princess counts as a celebrity. (Have you seen the movie Antz? I'm thinking of the bit with the WASPs and Eurotrash...)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Who knew? >>> link

I've bid on some Kate Moss (almost typed Kate Smith--oh, lordy, now THAT would be a scent and a half) on ebay.

[For Wordbird: Kate Smith was a rotund lady with a big voice, who, most famously, sang "God Bless America" on TV in the '60s.]

What, like Ethel Merman? Or is Katie Smith the famous Singing Fat Lady who signifies it being all over? Is that where the phrase comes from?

Which Kate Moss, Quarry? Have you smelled the new blue one? Velvet Hour. I liked it better than the first one, which was nice but... well I expected more of Mossy than a simple rose, you know? Skank, leather... just something out of the ordinary. But then, she wants to reach the widest possible market, so I don't suppose it would be too unusual. Perhaps that's the moral of this Synchro Day? We get to smell what is being aimed at the wider market of people who don't think it's great to wander around all day smelling like a stable or a circus or a member of Ghengis Khan's horde.

Right - you've inspired me to go off and try some more! My current fave is Hilary Duff, but Katie Price was good too and I do like Britter's Believe. I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    In case anyone's wondering who's on the who's-who list, here's Osmoz's complilation.
    Hugs to Quarry with the naughty and adorable avatar Thank you for that Ozmoz link.....I have two Salvador Dali fragrances, so.....I am IN :bounce:
    Last edited by Riannon; 20th November 2008 at 09:51 AM.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Oh! I just realized I'm the proud owner of a Gloria Vanderbilt scent. A present from a cousin when I turned 11 or 12, I believe, and officially my very first scent.
    Does that count as celebrity or designer, I wonder?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I'm up for this one
    I have ( and enjoy ) many celeb scents, so I will go and try something different for SSD. Maybe Gwen Stefani or *gulp* Kylie Minogue...both celebs I have steered clear of so far !!!

Blog Entries

After a long absence I return and this is the first thread I see... It made me laugh out loud.

I am so in.. but as usual I have way too many choices. I am even more overwhelmed because I have hardly worn scent for the past few months.

There are a few that I am very happy to wear as I remember them fondly, however I am also meant to be trying something outside of my comfort zone... so... *deep breath*... I may wear Sshhh! by Jade Goody. I have a real hate / hate relationship with this scent due to the character of the woman. But I shall try to judge the scent on it's own merits (if there are any).

If I cannot bring myself to do so I will chose from the following:

Gloria Vanderbilt Gloria Vanderbilt
    JLo Live
    JLo Glow
    Paloma Picasso Paloma Picasso
    Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds
    Elizabeth Taylor Emeralds & Diamonds
    Elizabeth Taylor Rubies & Diamonds
    Elizabeth Taylor Sapphires & Diamonds
    Salvador Dali Woman
    Naomi Campbell Exult
    Isabella Rosselini Manifesto
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Donna Karan Donna Karan
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Vivienne Westwood Boudoir
    Michael Kors Kors
    Lolita Lempicka L
    Jil Sander No.4
    Karl Lagerfeld KL
    Jasper Conran Man
    Jasper Conran Woman
    Sonia Rykiel Le Parfum
    Montana Parfum D'Elle
    Badgely Mischka
    Montana Parfum de Peau
    Maxims Maxims de Paris
    Bill Blass Bill Blass
    Theo Fennell
    Bijan Bijan

... on and on. (Got bored listing them)
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Welcome back, moondeva! :bounce:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Welcome back, moondeva! :bounce:
    Awww... thank you for the kind welcome tang!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva View Post
    Awww... thank you for the kind welcome tang!
    Dang, Tang. You beat me to it.
    So, what's up with the MoonDeva Unscented?

Moondeva, how wonderful to see you back on Basenotes once more. And with a list, too! You have been much missed.

Welcome back.

Just got back from practically two weeks straight on the road.

Count me in! Not sure which celeb, except that it will be ABP (Anyone But Paris). Sorry, I can't dignify her existence that way.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Dang, Moondeva, WE HAVE MISSED YOU, WOMAN!!! Welcome, welcome, welcome back. :bounce:

Ahem. I'm in, with the caveat that Nov. 29 is DearSon #2's birthday, and he's an amber hound, though he also personally picked Cielo Napa Valley as my fifth scent ever when he was 10, and he's about to turn 13 (check my wardrobe to see how out of control I've become in three short years!). I also confess to forcing DearSon#1 to endure a Sephora sweep earlier this week while I found an appropriate scent for our SSD....

I wanted JLo Glow, which I may buy yet. But it's not at Sephora. What did I like @ Sephora? DK Delicious Night. In a big way.

Notes: Purple Freesias, Chilled Blackberry Martini Accord, Crushed Ginger, Frozen Pomelo.

So is that too much like my "usual" to count? There's more fruit in here than I usually like, though it's the fruity notes I DO like... Inquiring minds want to know. Just please don't make me wear Pink Sugar...
    Last edited by ComDiva; 21st November 2008 at 02:17 AM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Moondeva!!!!!!!
    Yay!!!!!!!

If I hadn't given it away I boldly would have worn Kiss for Men. It smells great on a friend who wears it quite regularly and equally shamelessly!

ubuandillbeme send me the bottle of loukhourm with tons of samples including deseo so I have no excuse to excuse myself from the SSD. I'll go with Deseo by her that horrible woman that reintroduces real fur into the fashiontrends.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I am in. not sure what I will wear but I'll find something.

All systems are "go" here: today at Target, I bought a 99-cent sample of Celine Dion Sensational.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I'll go with Deseo by her that horrible woman that reintroduces real fur into the fashiontrends.
    Sweet little Jenny from the block? Yeah, I'm not a fan of hers either, for that reason as well as many others.
    Last edited by BlackCat; 22nd November 2008 at 07:11 AM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Right! I'm going to rise to this challenge, if it's the last thing I do.

As a shameless scent snob, there is really only one 'celebrity' I can go with here -- the loathsome Katie Price, known also to those in the 'glamour industry' as 'Jordan'.

Yes -- she of the yellow/black (delete as appopriate) nylon hair extensions, tandoori fake tan and sumptuous silicone funbags. This will be a challenge for me for two key reasons:

1) I have an unqualified abhorrence of all things fruity and floral.
    2) I am a lesbian with a preference for Cabochard, cashmere and brogues.

Okay, then, folks -- here goes!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Yes -- she of the yellow/black nylon hair extensions, tandoori fake tan and sumptuous silicone funbags.
    LMAO!

My initial thought was, "Huh. What's so bad about big rubbery purses? Especially if it's a youthful style."

Still, they're probably not as bad as Bennifer 1.0's fur accessories. If the only things that got clubbed making them were ex-boyfriends, sugar daddies, and plastic surgeons, they could still be considered cruelty-free.

The Deva's back!! The Deva's back!! Yaaaaay!

As you may know (like it mattered) I make deliveries for the florist I work for and in this capacity make many trips to one of the local hospitals. Friday I swanned into a patient's room - which smelled soft and pretty, unlike most. "What!" I demanded, with no concern for the patient's welfare or ears "Is that wonderful fragrance?!"

"Paris Hilton."

Hey Tao, I finally did it! I smelled Paris' Can Can!
    It... wasn't so bad.

But even better, while continuing the search for the elusive Spongebob perfume (I think this is the clincher and I really have finally lost my mind: I'm looking for Spongebob perfume) I found Spiderman and Superman, Le Petit Prince, Arthur and the Invisibles and a whole slew of Disney princesses in edt form. But I also found... Kung Fu Panda perfume!!!!! The Small Person was over the moon, had to have a spritz and developed a steely glint in her eye when I asked for the tester bottle back. Oh dear, you don't think this obsession of ours is inheritable, do you?

(BTW - it's a very nice citrus, pretty fleeting but good. Very suitable for a youngster of either sex.)

Outrageous by Kerry Katona... yes thanks to a friend I actually have a sample of this vile stuff! You dare me to wear it?