Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 29 Nov "Scared To Admit I'm Wearing It" Scent Synchronization Day

Celebrities are ranked from A list superstars to Z list wannabes. And so are 'Celebuscents'. While we're quite happy to tell the world we're wearing something from the utterly tasteful and elegant Catherine Deneuve, we might struggle to admit we're wearing something with the name of a reality tv star or footballer's wife's name on the bottle.

But here at Basnotes, we're openminded fragrance afficionados who judge purely on the juice, aren't we?

So for a bit of fun, and as a challenge to try something you'd usually walk past, what about a scent synchronisation day where we all wear something that bears a celebrity name AND that pushes us out of our 'comfort zone' a bit. If you'll cheerfully wear SJP's Lovely, march into a drugstore and try one of Britney's. If you're a touch more reserved, go for Paloma Picasso or Kate Moss. Just try something new.

To give us all chance to source samples, I'm going to suggest we do it in 2 weeks' time, on Saturday 29th November. I thought a Saturday would be good because you might not want to admit to work colleagues that you smell of Paris Hilton's Can Can. (And I promise that's the last time I'll make that joke.)

Who's in?
    Last edited by tigrushka; 29th November 2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: added the date to the title
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: "Scared To Admit I'm Wearing It" Scent Synchronization Day

I'll do it. I have some Kylie Showtime I received from a friend here. I might like it.
    I'm in

I´m in for sure! :bounce:

Think I will force myself to wear the original Christina Aguilera, a scent that is so out of my comfort zone.

Great idea!

I'm in! I'll probably wear Mariah Carey M. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I think its pretty good. It's all incense on me with the faintest hint of burnt marshmallow...and I'll be damned if I don't get a compliment or two on this one every time I wear it. Go figure. Another one I have that I enjoy but haven't worn in a LONG time is Love at First Glow by J-Lo. This turns into a warm, preachy, creamy comfort scent on me. Hmmm perhaps I'll pull this one out of the vault and dust it off.

This will be fun!

I got a sample of harekuja lovers somewhere I think...but I might accidenly forget about it because I sniffed it already and it's soooooo not me And does it count as a celebscent?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

oh dear, someone gave my daughter Celine Dion's perfume, I can see it sitting on her dresser....it's round and purple. gulp. I MIGHT try it. we'll see when the day rolls around.
    She's all out of her Hilary Duff With Love. Which, I will say is quite lovely on my daughter.
    I have no clue what the Celine Dion is like.
    Don't get me wrong, she has a beautiful voice.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 16th November 2008 at 10:50 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I'm in. I have Paris Hilton's Fairy Dust near my desk...
    Currently wearing: Gardénia by Chanel

J Lo's DESEO is a full bottle in my collection - and I LOVE IT! If I cannot find something more cheap and tawdry before 11/29, this is what I'll wear!

If you would like a sample, please pm me and I'll gladly send a small vial!

I'm in like Flynn.

I will wear some unforgivable.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

In SO in! I have both Antonio Banderas Spirit and McGraw in my wardrobe right now, but I'm ready to step up to the next level of celebrity perfumania! Sure, I'm willing to buy a spicy, animalic scent fronted by one of my favorite actors. And I have no problem admitting that I bought a country-&-western artist's scent, when it's a damn good copy of one of my favorite designer scents anyway. But to buy a 1-start scent fronted by a celebu-ditz who is primarily famous for a bad TV show and a sex tape? I need a real excuse for that one! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

PS - If anybody needs a sample of ABS or McG, just holler. Spirit is basically cinnamon musk, with the musk being just a tad over the top for this Kouros lover. Muskrats only! McGraw is very much like Givenchy Pi Neo, with the grassy, leafy note of Riverside Drive thrown in for obvious reasons. Less aqua and more vanilla. A surprisingly decent scent. Get 'em while they're hot!

I'm in! If I were really daring I would go buy that bottle I keep laughing at when I go to Marshalls. Trump. I cant stand him and his nasty comb over hair! I just cant stand the thought of giving him my money. But I have plenty of other celeb scents. (blush). I cant help the cheap impulse buys, but I'm trying.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Leave my house, AND leave my comfort zone?!

I can't bring myself to apply Manilow again.

I'll do it! I have some Live by J Lopez. It was a gift from a friend of a family member. I thought it was very sweet of her to acknowledge my love of perfume.

I'm in!

I'm in. Probably wear something by Britney or maybe HD With Love... or even the original Paris Hilton. Eek, too many celebuscents! :S

Blog Entries

Wordbird - are you going to cross-post this to the men's board? If not, I'll be sure to mention it over there, or maybe even put an ad in my sig!

Funny thread. Mine is "Lily Prune - Cotton musk" from Ulrick de Varens.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I'll join in. I think I might have a little bit of something by Stella McCartney - it was solid perfume that I bought because it was the only one I could find to travel with, when airlines first restricted liquids in your luggage. If I can't find that, I'll see what samplers there are in the shops.
    Last edited by Ailuros; 17th November 2008 at 06:33 AM.

The only thing I've got is Isabella Rosselini - does that count?
    If so. I'll join you.

I want to try the new Jessica Simpson 'Fancy' again. I got a tiny dab of it and found it hideous and artificial at first, a little better over time. I don't mind trying it again. It's so sweet I'll get a toothache!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Wordbird - are you going to cross-post this to the men's board? If not, I'll be sure to mention it over there, or maybe even put an ad in my sig!
    That's a good point - I'll do that.

As for what I"ll be wearing, well I do have Lovely in my wardrobe, but I'm planing to see if I can either persuade a Sales Assistant to give me a sample of something, or I'll just go into the shop and spritz myself with whatever I can find.

Quarry, it's OK honey! Take it slow, start with a little bit of Nanandaberry Green on one arm to bolster yourself, then give it the full Britney on the other. You can do it!!!!
    Last edited by Wordbird; 17th November 2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: teasing Joy
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Ooooh! Good for you WordyBirdie....you done went and did it!! I can't wait!

Although I rully like the two celeb-scents I own (I kinda don't include designers and jewelers) Miami Glo (thanks to you Birdie!!) and Fantasy - I will use this as an excuse to try the Roucel Celine Dion that got such good press yesterday on the starting thread. Walgreens has an on-line-only sample program but they say it may take up to three or four weeks before you get your loot.

What the hell! I'll spring for under twenty bucks!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Quarry, it's OK honey! You can do it!!!!
    The Kate Moss scent doesn't sound too bad, but as a landscape ecologist, I have a problem with the invasive plants (teasel) in her ads. I know, I know.

If we do this again next year, I'll opt for the forthcoming Halle Berry scent: Fig, mimosa, olibanum, sandalwood.

I'm (probably; work and other stuff permitting) in. Great idea

PS - If anybody needs a sample of ABS or McG, just holler. Spirit is basically cinnamon musk, with the musk being just a tad over the top for this Kouros lover. Muskrats only! McGraw is very much like Givenchy Pi Neo, with the grassy, leafy note of Riverside Drive thrown in for obvious reasons. Less aqua and more vanilla. A surprisingly decent scent. Get 'em while they're hot![/QUOTE]

would love McGraw...
    Last edited by shuzkelly; 17th November 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: fun

OMG...does Britney have MORE THAN ONE SCENT???

I think I will challenge myself with Intimately Beckham. I find them the most annoying celebs around here and could never ever wear the frag (even if I loved it) because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by shuzkelly View Post
    OMG...does Britney have MORE THAN ONE SCENT???
    Britney Spears Fragrances for Women

* Believe
    * Believe Britney Spears
    * Curious
    * Curious Heart Britney Spears
    * Curious in Control
    * Fantasy
    * Fantasy Midnight
    * In Control Curious
    * In Control Curious Britney Spears
    * Midnight Fantasy
    * Midnight Fantasy Britney Spears

...and welcomewelcome!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I'm in. I do have a family event to go to that day, so it'll need to be a relatively well-behaved celebuscent. I'll rummage around in the store to see what testers they have out. *Shudder*