Code of Conduct

Default Recommend a non offensive fragrance

Hey guys, I will be working in an office/professional environment and I am looking to build a wardrobe of fragrances that are generally non-offensive or more professional.

These are some of my favorites:

Vera Wang
    Green Irish Tweed
    Cool Water
    Lucky Number 6

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Recommend a non offensive fragrance

Out of what I own, I would say that Burberry London, Bvlgari pour Homme and Tom Ford for Men would be 'non-offensive.'
    Dont you want some fun stuff to wear when your not at work though?!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Out of what I own, I would say that Burberry London, Bvlgari pour Homme and Tom Ford for Men would be 'non-offensive.'
    Dont you want some fun stuff to wear when your not at work though?!

sure, but i'll worry about that later when i actually start making money

I think Kiton Men would be good.

Also 99 Regent St and Traditional Blue by Hugh Parsons, if you can find them anywhere. The Traditional Blue used to be in Nordstroms, but I think they may have dropped it. You can't find it on their website anymore. That's a pity, it is a great fragrance, if you give it a chance.

Blog Entries

Good choices already for playing it discreet, Just be careful with GIT - some people (like me) are hyperosmic on the green note, and it jumps out like a hot poker. Just don't overdo it.

I find that Polo Explorer is perfect for those days where you almost can't smell like anything. Polo Modern Reserve is a bit more strong and generally good in the office. Others that have worked for me in the office are YSL L'Homme, Terre d'Hermès, and L'Artisan's Timbuktu. Among Creeds, Tabarome Millesime (old school) and Bois de Cedrat (summer citrus) are nice. Bond no.9 Wall Street is obvious, as is the MI it may have descended from. All of the Banana Republic men's scents are light enough. Givenchy Pour Homme. The new Porsche Design seems like a nice one for office wear, and it's a bit stronger, for those days when you crave more.

Final recommendation - Penhaligon's Douro. Great stuff - classic and classy men's aromatic cologne.

Prada Infusion d'Homme, Dior Homme and Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC are men's scents I have tried that I think would work well for the office. Also Boucheron Jaipur Homme, if you get the weaker concentration, it could also be good, especially in cooler weather. A warm weather scent that would work well is Guerlain Vetiver.
    Last edited by Asha; 17th November 2008 at 05:31 AM.

Guerlain Vetiver is a great suggestion. Clean, classy, and perfect for wearing in a professional environment. Also, you should try Bond no 9's Riverside Drive.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

To me, these are all clean and fresh:
    Boss XY
    Gendarme 20
    Paul Smith Story
    Bvlgari Aqva
    Boss Pure
    Eau de Cartier

You can probably wear anything you like as long as you apply it judiciously. Keep it covered by your clothes. Don't spray it on your clothes. Don't spray it on your neck. Spray at least half an hour to an hour before you get to work.

The new Guerlain Homme certainly fits the bill and the 30 ml size shouldn't do much damage to your wallet.

Blog Entries

i don't understand the question really....

i work in a very 'professional' atmosphere....and i never worry about wearing something 'non-offensive'...why should a fragrance be 'offensive' anyway? unless you're wearing something insane like CDG Garage (which i own, and NEVER wear to work)...

but everything else is fair game.....wear what you like, i think the AMOUNT is more important than the actual scent.....don't wear too much

oh, and for the record....i find Green Irish Tweed to be completely offensive.
    Last edited by everso; 17th November 2008 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sofreshsoclean View Post
    Hey guys, I will be working in an office/professional environment and I am looking to build a wardrobe of fragrances that are generally non-offensive or more professional.

These are some of my favorites:

Vera Wang
    Green Irish Tweed
    Cool Water
    Lucky Number 6

Thanks for the help!
    Mojo by Austin Powers (Gendarme). Seriously. In the same vein as Gendarme, with a fruity-clean feel. And it's very inexpensive... 4.2 oz for about $25 at www.gendarme.com Let me know if you want a 10ml decant and I'd be happy to send you one free of charge.
    Last edited by Words; 17th November 2008 at 06:27 AM.
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

I'd have to say just about anything by Gendarme should fit the bill.

L'eau de Cartier (d'Issey, Jatsamani, etc.... all the waters of something)
    Un Jardin sur le Nil.
    Aqua Motu
    Fahrenheit 32
    CdG 2 man.
    Erolfa
    Happy for Men
    Signoricci
    CK Be

Man.... there are sooo many.
    Last edited by irish; 17th November 2008 at 06:49 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i don't understand the question really....

i work in a very 'professional' atmosphere....and i never worry about wearing something 'non-offensive'...why should a fragrance be 'offensive' anyway? unless you're wearing something insane like CDG Garage (which i own, and NEVER wear to work)...

but everything else is fair game.....wear what you like, i think the AMOUNT is more important than the actual scent.....don't wear too much

oh, and for the record....i find Green Irish Tweed to be completely offensive.
    By offensive i mean something overpowering... its kind of hard to describe but versace the dreamer is a good example. It's great if you love the fragrance but if you're ambivalent about it or even hate it, it can be overpowering. It just immediately takes up the whole room.

I usually spray once or twice (depending on how strong the scent is). I wear scents for myself and i hope to attract the "oh he smells nice" feeling if someone passes by instead of the "OH MY GOD, that guy just entered the room" effect.

Puro Lino is one of my favorite office frienly scents -

"this is easy to wear as linen itself. Puro Lino has the delightful freshness of hand milled-soap, without any detergent-like harshness. The citrus is gentle-not strident-and the feel is warm and airy....Pure, Simple, and Classic".

The frags I routinely wear to work:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Terre d'Hermes (Hermes)
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Concentree d'Orange Verte (Hermes)
    Burberry London
    John Varvatos
    Kyoto (CdG)
    Jaisalmer (CdG)
    Sequoia (CdG)
    Gendarme
    Blenheim Bouquet (Penhaligon's)
    Douro (Penhaligon's)
    YSL pour Homme
    Bulgari pour Homme
    Nemo
    Body Kouros
    Last edited by JonB; 17th November 2008 at 01:04 PM.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Everso does have a valid point - for some, just spray less. That said, I would never wear my M7 Fresh to work. I understand what you're saying. There are some frags that seem safe - that almost no one would say doesn't smell good (though those same frags may smell boring to some), and they project too much.

My work favorites are:
    Burberry Brit
    Mugler
    F Ferragamo

Rive Gauche, Original Vetiver and even Heritage would work as well.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Keep in mind that offensive to some may be not offensive to others.

I second Gendarme, Hugh Parsons Traditional (blue) and Guerlain Vetiver. Also I would recommend TM Cologne.
    My Nordstrom used to have Regent Street. Now they only have the Blue Traditional Hugh Parsons (but it looks like they are trying to sell the rest off). Also I just saw the blue Hugh Parsons at Ulta.

I second Bulgari PH.

Actually I wouldn't consider Guerlain Vetiver or Mugler Cologne non-offensive scents. Some people really react strongly to the typical vetiver soapy/citrusy/dusty smell.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

TdH
    Burberry London
    Bulgari Aqua
    Polo Modern Reserve

I've bene wearing all of these to work and they are just right
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Dior's Eau Sauvage

I'm going to suggest Geir Ness.

I think Rochas Lui would be just about perfect.

If it is a strong scent (woody / leathery / spicy), just be careful when aplying.

If it is a citrousy fragrance, you can be confident on applications: for example, Eau d'Orange Vert doesn't have much longevity at all.

Some safe and elegant scents:

Eau d'Orange Vert (Hermes)
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Eau Savage (Dior)
    Signoricci (Nina Ricci)
    Habit Rouge EdT (Guerlain)

As far as I know, Moustache (Rochas) is along these group of scents.
    Last edited by Pollux; 17th November 2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typos

Viktor & Rolf • Antidote
    Salvator Ferragamo • Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme (1999)
    Canali • Canali Men

Keep in mind that offensive to some may be not offensive to others.
    Kouros or A*Men
    Or Secretions Magnifique
    Last edited by brianroy; 18th November 2008 at 12:16 AM.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Guerlain Vetiver!

Blog Entries

What I consider "non-offensive" is usually what's considered "safe" to me or rather, boring to some people. From what I've worn and liked.

Bulgari Aqua
    Burberry Touch (just go light on it, the florals could be a bit much at times before it settles down)
    Chanel Allure Homme (Sport and Blanche Edition)
    Clinque Happy
    Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue
    Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme
    Kenneth Cole Black
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    L'eau Par Kenzo
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    Theirry Mugler Cologne (can't get any more non-offensive than this, just smells soapy)
    Versace Man Eau Fraiche
    Versace Pour Homme (it seemed boring at first, but I like the simplicity)
    YSL L'Homme

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    Kouros or A*Men
    Or Secretions Magnifique
    Definately. Also Joop! Homme.

I know now how Columbus must have felt upon first arriving in a strange land.

What is this, this land of No-Offense of which you speak?

Where can it be found and must I go there?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

seems like i have A LOT to check out...

i think terre d'hermes is at the top my list because i've seen it mentioned many times. but i also want to try gendarme and some of the others.. sigh, this is what basenotes does to me makes me broke but smelling fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by sofreshsoclean View Post
    seems like i have A LOT to check out...

i think terre d'hermes is at the top my list because i've seen it mentioned many times. but i also want to try gendarme and some of the others.. sigh, this is what basenotes does to me makes me broke but smelling fresh.
    terre d'hermes is wonderful, i think you'll like it!

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I know now how Columbus must have felt upon first arriving in a strange land.

What is this, this land of No-Offense of which you speak?

Where can it be found and must I go there?
    I'm guessing you'll be happier if you stay far away from it.

I love many of my work scents, but if I'm going out, I want to wear something louder and (subjectivity alert!) more sensuous. I think many of us can agree on some scents that are work-safe, but, of course, it's all in the nose of the besmeller. Maybe the best advice is to wear whatever you want to work and just make sure you don't overdo it. Except for Kouros. I think we can all agree that, for enclosed spaces like cubicles or conference rooms, the more the better!
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post

I love many of my work scents, but if I'm going out, I want to wear something louder and (subjectivity alert!) more sensuous. I think many of us can agree on some scents that are work-safe, but, of course, it's all in the nose of the besmeller. Maybe the best advice is to wear whatever you want to work and just make sure you don't overdo it. Except for Kouros. I think we can all agree that, for enclosed spaces like cubicles or conference rooms, the more the better!
    i am the same way.

I love the smell of the dreamer but because i have a sensitive nose, if i over do it i start feeling nauseous. One spray of that is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post

I suspect you are right. While I really like Gendarme, Grabazzi and the other fresh scents in my wardrobe, they are definitely in the minority.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 18th November 2008 at 05:27 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

any thoughts on himalaya? i found a decant that i thought i used up and i tried it on and i LOVED it. Not sure if its too strong though. I also have bois du portugal, which I will be trying tommorrow.