Code of Conduct

Default Diptyque's John Galliano Essence

I've heard people use the room spray as a personal fragance, so I'm very curious about this one. It was created by Olivia Giacobetti. Incense, Iris, Vanilla... What smells alike? Very "churchey"? Sillage and longevity are good?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Diptyque's John Galliano Essence

I didn't get much from this except smoke: smoke mixed with a strong dirty grill/creosote note which was acrid and pretty unpleasant. I wouldn't want to use this as a room spray and certainly not as an EDT (and the "smokey/incensy" category is one I usually go for).
    ..."net", not "naut".

Quote Originally Posted by juggernet View Post
    I didn't get much from this except smoke: smoke mixed with a strong dirty grill/creosote note which was acrid and pretty unpleasant. I wouldn't want to use this as a room spray and certainly not as an EDT (and the "smokey/incensy" category is one I usually go for).
    Ditto. Think Tauer's Lonestar Memories, if you really need a fragrance reference point.

Basenotes Institution

I love EOJG. I think it smells like frankincense, burning birch wood and smoke. It is similar to Avignon by Comme des Garcons, but not as 'pure'.

This is not a fragrance one should over apply - it can get a little choking.

It doesn't smel like Avignon. Avignon is all elemi. It smells like a subtle birch tar scent. Birch tar is the "smoke" note in Tauer's Lonestar Memories and a lot of the "russian" leather scents (Cuir de Russie, etc. Birch Tar was used to shine leather boots back in the day.) The Galliano, because of the iris, has a smooth airy vibe about it. Great for the fall. It's worth getting a sample.

we have a diptyque store on maiden lane in SF...

I recommend the original eau de diptyque - emboldened clove, fun! The Galliano well... the question is why doesn't he have a bona fide fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    This is not a fragrance one should over apply - it can get a little choking.
    Yes, choking is the word.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I've always used this as a skin scent and never as a room spray, which is what it's intended for until today. It's one amazing room spray.

Nice and smokey in here with a faint trace of vanilla. Loves it.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I've always used this as a skin scent and never as a room spray, which is what it's intended for until today. It's one amazing room spray.

Nice and smokey in here with a faint trace of vanilla. Loves it.
    I know what you mean. It never fails to impress guests coming over my home, when I spray this stuff in the air, before their arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I know what you mean. It never fails to impress guests coming over my home, when I spray this stuff in the air, before their arrival.
    I don't think I'll ever use it as a skin scent again. It smells nice but I have way too many incense/smokey scents in my collection to wear as a perfume, so I'm going to reserve this now for a home fragrance.

Problem is, I used 30 sprays last time to scent my room. I thought I'd never use up my huge decant but now I'm thinking I need to upgrade to a large bottle.

The John Galliano candle is one of Diptyque's very best. I'm not familiar with the room spray version, but can very well imagine this as a body scent. Smoke, incense, leather and spice. Really, one of Diptyque's best, right there beside "Thé", which smells like sex.