Code of Conduct

Default "Scared to admit you're wearing it" Scent Synchronisation Day

Celebrities are ranked from A list superstars to Z list wannabes. And so are 'Celebuscents'. While we're quite happy to tell the world we're wearing something from the utterly tasteful and elegant Catherine Deneuve, we might struggle to admit we're wearing something with the name of a reality tv star or PopTeen on the bottle.

But here at Basnotes, we're openminded fragrance afficionados who judge purely on the juice, aren't we?

So for a bit of fun, and as a challenge to try something you'd usually walk past, what about a scent synchronisation day where we all wear something that bears a celebrity name AND that pushes us out of our 'comfort zone' a bit. If you'll cheerfully wear Antonio Banderas, march into a drugstore and try Orange County Choppers! If you're a touch more reserved, go for Unforgivable. Just try something new.

To give us all chance to source samples, I'm going to suggest we do it in 2 weeks' time, on Saturday 29th November. I thought a Saturday would be good because you might not want to admit to work colleagues that you smell of Paris Hilton's Can Can. (And I promise that's the last time I'll make that joke.)

Who's in?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: "Scared to admit you're wearing it" Scent Synchronisation Day

Im SO in Wordbird!

I have a sample or two of Beckham's floating around, so I will make like a soccerstar and scent myself accordingly on the 29th!

I just got myself some of Jennifer Lopez's Deseo. I'm not afraid to admit I like it!

Oh what a fun!!!
    I missed these amazing SSDays!!!
    I'm definitely IN!

Paris Hilton for men (the first one). It smells like Jolly Ranchers and makes me feel like a cheap whore. I love it.

- Al

my admiration for Old Spice still didnt wane, probably would never

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    It has to be a celebrity frag, silly.

I'm in too!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thumbs up Re: "Scared to admit you're wearing it" Scent Synchronisation Day

Realm is one of those fragrances. Though I have Havana on.

I didn't know Geri Halliwell had released a fragrance too.

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I didn't know Geri Halliwell had released a fragrance too.
    lol how stooooopid of me.

celeb frags...hmmmm, i dont own any and haven't tried any *poof* disappears...

lol how stooooopid of me.

celeb frags...hmmmm, i dont own any and haven't tried any *poof* disappears...
    I see you behind that bottle of Just Me

UPDATE : I will be wearing Patrick Dempsey/Avon : Unscripted because it is simply fantastic! I love it! Sorry, Tim, you'll have to wait for another day . . .

I am all for it on the 29th. I'll be in the States then and one thing on this "techno raver's" mind to get while I am there is . . . Tim McGraw (WTF?).

So, look out all you Walgreen's Chicago area location beauty counter workers . . . this is now mission.
    Last edited by distortech; 28th November 2008 at 03:51 AM. Reason: updated!
    I love Jasmine.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

God help me, I'm in too. At the moment, the only celebuscent I have is a sample of Usher, which is too tame and bland to count. I'll have to check out Macy's - or better yet, WalMart - to find something suitably tacky. Hmmm...maybe Baby Phat Goddess By Kimora Lee.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Blog Entries

i don't have any celebrity scents

oh wait...i'm happy about that actually!

does unforgivable count!? im about to purchase a bottle because it smells like M.I. and i would be embarrased to say i'm wearing P-diddy's fragrance.

I'm in. But...do we agree on ONE scent or will any celeb scent do it?

If its any, well.....I may break offa 'lil chunk of Unscripted from my big bro' (he has a new full bottle). Or...maybe a good time for me to try out McGraw's scent of the often-favorited Carlos Santana juice.

Those count, don't they?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sofreshsoclean View Post
    does unforgivable count!? im about to purchase a bottle because it smells like M.I. and i would be embarrased to say i'm wearing P-diddy's fragrance.
    Sounds like a winner to me! If you're ashamed to say you're wearing it, it's got to count. Right, Wordbird?

Hey - Olivier and Erwin Creed are celebrities in my book. So that means that Everso could wear......

I am certainly in. It could be very attractively. I have two celebrity scents in my wardrobe: Mediterráneo by Antonio Banderas (which I like pretty much) and Instinct by David Beckham (which I got as a gift). Therefore, I would even have a possibility to choose.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    I see you behind that bottle of Just Me
    ohh not my type is there a release by Monica Belluci? ill take it blind in exchange for ambre sultan:bounce:

Unforgivable and Usher make me physically ill, and on principle I'd never wear a Paris Hilton. My local Macy's has the new J-Lo Deseo for men, so I can obtain a sample of that (and I think it's inoffensive). Likewise, the new 'McGraw' has samples for sale at Walgreens for under $2, and I think that's inoffensive also. Has anyone tried the new Rocawear (Jay-Z) fragrance?

ohhh, how did i forget Unforgivable! i just love that one...

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post

You and me both.

Sorry to keep going on about Bjorn Borg's fragrances (and a little off topic) - does the Borg range count as 'celebrity' frags? I know Borg's stated intention for his brand (the whole line, not just frags) was to aspire to the level of Lacoste rather than being about Borg the persona (albeit having a pic of him on the bottle for Off Court seems to contradict this).

i have beckham's intimitalely night...which is actually a very good fragrance except for zero longevity and zero sillage......but it smells delicious first 46 seconds.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I remember the Santana being pretty decent.

I might have a sample I could dig up. I'm in!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post

So you have plenty of scope to stretch yourself by visiting the counters and spritzing on something you'd never DREAM of even smelling. Hee hee hee!

Quote Originally Posted by sofreshsoclean View Post
    Yes, I think anyone would be embarrassed to admit they smell of P.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    I'm in. But...do we agree on ONE scent or will any celeb scent do it?

If its any, well.....I may break offa 'lil chunk of Unscripted from my big bro' (he has a new full bottle). Or...maybe a good time for me to try out McGraw's scent of the often-favorited Carlos Santana juice.

Those count, don't they?

You betcha they count! And because we're all scattered about the world and we are having to visit counters and scrounge up samples, I think it's best if we all wear whatever we can find. It's kind of more fun if you stretch yourself a bit and try something completely new to you. It's part fun, part field trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Sounds like a winner to me! If you're ashamed to say you're wearing it, it's got to count. Right, Wordbird?
    You got it RP. It's the frisson of shame that makes it even better.

Please please tell me someone will be wearing Sex Panther! Everso????? I dare you!!!
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...8/3983611.html
    Last edited by Wordbird; 18th November 2008 at 07:57 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I'm in.

I'm going to do my best to score a sample of the new Daddy Yankee scent. Boricua! Represent!

I may try that Rocawear fragrance, I'd be too embarrassed to ask for a sample of Paris Hilton's

I will admit when I was 15 I used to love Michael Jordan's cologne..being as though it has been so long I may be willing to revisit it and this sounds like fun....Also unforgivably brought Unforgivable a couple years ago and have most of that...I am in

Carlos Santana is a very good fragrance i dont care if it belongs to a celebrity name or not....

P.S Carlos Santana is a hell of a guitar player as well.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    Carlos Santana is a very good fragrance i dont care if it belongs to a celebrity name or not....

P.S Carlos Santana is a hell of a guitar player as well.
    I remember trying it and thinking it was good. May seek some out......

P.S. Anyone who disputes the previous P.S. should listen to the "Inner Secrets" album from 1978.

Egrorian - Bjorn Borg can count if you want him to. Heck, any perfume with a person's name on the bottle counts really. (Though that's no excuse Everso for retreating into a Chanel! Be brave! Be bold! And wash it off if you really hate it!)

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    Actually, if I'm serious that's one of the points of this Scent Synchro Day - to try things we would usually pass by and hopefully discover gems. The Celebrity Scent field is alike any other subdivision of the market - there's dross and there's gold. I started out as a total snob on this subject, but the more of these I smell, the more I find merit in and the broader my mind becomes.

Plus, there is the admitted 'giggle factor'. It's always good to laugh. (On which topic - will anyone be wearing Cumming? Oh please do! After my Can Can jokes, SOMEONE has to wear the ultimate punchline frag!)

Looking for the elusive Spongebob Squarepants perfume today, I found some beauties in the Kiddy section: Spiderman, Superman, Arthur and the Invisibles (recent French kids' film), Le Petit Prince (beautiful children's book now a perfume) and... Kung Fu Panda edt!!!!!!!
    Yes! You too can smell like a Kung Fu Panda!!!!! I gave my 4 year-old daughter a spritz of it and she refused to give me back the bottle. So that's a hit then.

(Oh, you want to know what it SMELLS like? Citrus. Nice actually, quite eau de cologney but non-gender-specific.)
    Last edited by Wordbird; 24th November 2008 at 11:01 PM.

I have Blue Seduction, Just Me, Unforgivable & Paris Hilton

I have no celebrity scents, sorry...

So I`ll have to visit some shops and spritz some Cathy Guetta or Paris Hilton on me...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I have some really old Shaquille O'Neal cologne that would be perfect for this.

It came in a zip-up Shaq package with a comb (what?! but he's bald?! How can he endorse a comb?!), a basketball-shaped scrub brush, shampoo, and something else. I can't remember.

Basenotes Institution

Haven't been able to score any of the Daddy Yankee (aww shucks!!) so I think I'm gonna go with a sample of Salvador Dali Pour Homme that I have in my sample pile, I just have to find it.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 25th November 2008 at 08:50 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac