Code of Conduct

Default Lorenzo Villoresi - Rantings on 3 out of 5 recently acquired

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk opens with a sharp, luxurious, powdery floral blend with a heart of deep, dark, rose. To me, it's like a powdery floral, Oriental "Sherbet" done in a very old fashioned way(No. 88 and Penhaligons come to mind). The florals portrays a color in deep violets...i still can't shake the oriental sherbet association. as if it's some sort of refreshing elixir made to seduce. The opening accords are indeed very uplifting and kinda sets the tone up for what’s to follow. I'm typically attracted to powdery scents and this is what this scent has to offer in it's mid notes! glorious powdery notes begins to spread it's wings by mid notes with hints of spices and touch of rosewood. Throughout these progressions, this scent never comes of as a woody scent. Floral elements are given premium treatment with a exotic touch of spices and woody notes. The powdery notes carry with it, ambery, musky undertones wafting to the surface as white smoke. it stays a little musty and powdery towards base evoking a residue like musk note

LV musk is not a everyday wear kinds...it's a kind (imho) which would suit deep colored silk shirts, the one's typically worn to lounge/tech parties. This, also happens to be a perfect e.g. of a Unisex scent. would smell glorious/suave on a lady.

Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo lands on skin with a celebration of freshness. Smells as if one has slid thru a open lawn of freshly cut grass just before noon with the crispiness and cool nature of morning still present. in a way, it reminds me of the legendary Penhaligons release, English Fern. very similar green accords over a base of musk laden citrus. for those who have tried English Fern would know how the green notes has a kind of "bite" to it...a sort of spiky nature...which is very true to the smell of freshly mowed grass. by mid notes, mildly peppered herbal notes adds to the bite of green notes signaling a farewell to citrus notes. it’s just a pleasure to note how these notes hangs on for a long time with the oakmoss smoothening things up with woody notes over a base of Vetiver.

LV Uomo is ideal for summers(all whether?) and could be a great daily wear scent.

Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum opens with a strong medicinal note. something very similar to Vicks Vaporub. Intense eucalyptus kinds with a kitchen spices like fennel and a strong mint note! Comments like, "do you have cold?" shouldn’t surprise the wearer i love strong herbal/medicinal concoctions and this is where Piper Nigrum kicks in. Once this lovely opening notes smoothens out, the scent reveals one of the most beautiful pepper accord that one would have come across. To me it's what clove is to MPG's Secret Melange. Mesmerizing. Pepper in combination with other spices create such a delicate, soft aura or halo if you may. it's hard not to stop for a moment and think, hmm, I’m 3 hours into this scent...and all the colors it derived to paint the canvas is from, kitchen spices!? it's remarkably refined and offers total satisfaction to anyone who enjoys refined herbal concoctions. Things start to smoothen all the more with the amber kicking in with hints of incense wafting thru the remnants of the spices.

A must have for anyone who enjoys herbal/spicy scents. would smell glorious on summers and winters alike.
    Last edited by jenson; 17th November 2008 at 09:21 PM.

Default Re: Lorenzo Villoresi - Rantings on 3 out of 5 recently acquired

Nice reviews! Thanks for sharing

I'm an overall LV fan - I LOVED Uomo on paper, but was really disappointed it didn't work with my skin at all - went to a really bad sour smell. Id definitely be all over that one otherwise.

Right now Yerbamate and Vetiver are on my purchase list, Yerbamate being on the top of that list

Thanks for sharing those with us, we catch your excitement.
    I love LV Uomo, it is a green feel-good scent.
    You are motivating me to try Piper Nigrum, I will keep the radar out on that.
    Cheers,
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thnx Flying Lotus! aww too bad it doesnt work for ya

and Thnx odysseusm! and yes! pls do let us know your thoughts on Piper Nigrum!

Thanks for the awesome reviews, Jenson!

Your making me want to try Musk.

Uomo started out as a total mess on me. (most Villoresi's do). I later learned that it just needs extra time to assemble on my skin, but when it does, it is glorious. I think it's perfect as a year-round scent.

Your semi-comparison of Piper Nigrum and Vick's vaporub is spot on. I can't stand Vicks vaporub/inhalers. They just turn my stomach. I adored Piper Nigrum..especially that nutmeg and peppery dry down, but after a few hours of wear, I would start to feel ill, much in the same way as if I had smelled Vicks for a long period of time. I ended up swapping my bottle away.
    I miss that drydown though.

So far, my favorite from this house is Spezie, which incidently, was one I hated at first. Now, I actually crave it at times.
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 17th November 2008 at 09:05 PM.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Villoresis and thanks for the thoughtful reviews. This is my absolute favorite house. Make sure to sample them all. Over the last few years, I've accumulated nine bottles and love them all in different ways. Yerbamate was my first and then I just went crazy from there. This is the only house of which I could happily own them all. I can't imagine that I'll ever not want to have Piper Nigrum, Vetiver, Yerbamate, and Spezie in my wardrobe, and recently his unjustly ignored Patchouli and (surprisingly) Garofano have found a special place in my heart (and nose) as well. The others I own and also am very fond of are Uomo, Sandalo, and Incensi. I've had two samples of Musk and like it a great deal, but have found it a bit too feminine for me. I still think it's great though, and may yet give in to its charms! I look forward to hearing about the other two you've acquired!
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 18th November 2008 at 01:38 AM.

Jenson, Great visual reviews as usual, I wish you would rate each one out of 5 like Turin!

I have to confirm - LV Musk smells luxurious on women and it's my holy grail.

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotiq View Post
    Thanks for the awesome reviews, Jenson!

Your making me want to try Musk.

Uomo started out as a total mess on me. (most Villoresi's do). I later learned that it just needs extra time to assemble on my skin, but when it does, it is glorious. I think it's perfect as a year-round scent.

Your semi-comparison of Piper Nigrum and Vick's vaporub is spot on. I can't stand Vicks vaporub/inhalers. They just turn my stomach. I adored Piper Nigrum..especially that nutmeg and peppery dry down, but after a few hours of wear, I would start to feel ill, much in the same way as if I had smelled Vicks for a long period of time. I ended up swapping my bottle away.
    I miss that drydown though.

So far, my favorite from this house is Spezie, which incidently, was one I hated at first. Now, I actually crave it at times.
    Thnx a ton for sharing your thoughts Quixotiq!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'm glad you're enjoying the Villoresis and thanks for the thoughtful reviews. This is my absolute favorite house. Make sure to sample them all. Over the last few years, I've accumulated nine bottles and love them all in different ways. Yerbamate was my first and then I just went crazy from there. This is the only house of which I could happily own them all. I can't imagine that I'll ever not want to have Piper Nigrum, Vetiver, Yerbamate, and Spezie in my wardrobe, and recently his unjustly ignored Patchouli and (surprisingly) Garofano have found a special place in my heart (and nose) as well. The others I own and also am very fond of are Uomo, Sandalo, and Incensi. I've had two samples of Musk and like it a great deal, but have found it a bit too feminine for me. I still think it's great though, and may yet give in to its charms! I look forward to hearing about the other two you've acquired!
    ahhh we have another LV fan in here Thnx for the quick and thoughful breifs on LV releases! ill certainly look forward to it. the other two that i have are Yerbamate & Incensi. i do have samples of Spezie, Garafano, Sandalo..need to sample them over the weekend i must be candid though...i did sneak in a dab or two to test em garafano is a intense, floral version of MPG's secret melange. Sandalo is very true to sandal wood extract and spezie is a slightly darker herbal concoction....reminds me of one of the CDG incense series release...will need to test them at peace to enjoy it so, in a nutshell, im enjoyng my time with LV's. they are reasonably priced and smell very unique, interesting and most importantly, GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Jenson, Great visual reviews as usual, I wish you would rate each one out of 5 like Turin!
    Thnk you kind sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    I have to confirm - LV Musk smells luxurious on women and it's my holy grail.
    ohhh...i have to stay away from you...
    Last edited by jenson; 18th November 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Villoresi Uomo is a magnificent fragrance, and is right up there with the greats. Vetiver, Sandalo and Inglese are terrific as well, but Uomo is the sum and substance of everything he has done.

when I read "rantings" I thought you were going to trash them. Glad you didn't. I can't stop loving Villoresi. While Musk is a bit too feminine-powdery for my taste it is quite good, and I love Sandalo, Piper Nigrum, Vetiver, Incensi, Colonia, and Vetiver. I've always found Uomo less "spectacular," as in creating an olfactory spectacle, but an incredibly refined, classic male fragrance. I do hope the new ones will be released some time soon.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Re: Lorenzo Villoresi - Rantings on 3 out of 5 recently acquired

I'm so happy to see LV getting the love it deserves. When I first joined, MPG and LV were huge here, especially Piper Nigrum and Santal Noble. Those two fragrances opened my eyes; we are not talking about smelling nice, but so horribly underrated form of art. There is no doubt in my mind, that Mr. Villoresi is one of the great artists of modern perfumery. Interestingly he calls himself - not only an artist - but also a craftsman. This is a fundamental point in a world today, where people seem to believe, that all it takes to be an artist is to have a new daring idea. This compromises the intergrity of an artist, caused by him being way too conscious of the past of his form of art to be free of it. Trying to be mainly original is one of the main problems of postmodern art. It destroys the meaningful way of being original, by which I mean to use art to express oneself in a - so to speak - primordial way. Just look at the paintings of Cezanne or read Proust, and it will be clear what this means. They both had an instrument, a finely tuned technique to express themselves in a substantial way. Obviously they also had something to express, which was more important than a notion that nobody have done this before me. Villoresi emphasizes this; there are no magic tricks in any form of art.

This is off-topic, but I am just so annoyed by all these of new niché houses, which has no substance at all, only a marketing gimmick. I had to lighten my heart. I still want to believe that a company needs more to be successful in a long run.

By the way, the good life, "eudaimonia rulez" is somehow extremely funny way of putting it. I have wanted to say this for a long time already .

the_good_life & Joe_frances..thanks for posting your thoughts! appreciate it!

Johnny_Ludlow: am so glad to see your post! your massive and tasteful collection had be gawking when i had joined BN...you have one of the best collections here in BN i must say...wouldnt hurt to post a pic of your recent collection

and yes, LV scents are truly unique...unlike other(some) so called niche houses which only keeping ripping of other peoples hard work and remix it. there are very few who think out of the box and carve to create a name for themself by creating something unique and radical.