Code of Conduct

Default Five O'Clock au Gingembre or Tea For Two

I feel like these are in the same vein.

Which would you rather own / prefer and why?

Default Re: Five O'Clock au Gingembre or Tea For Two

Tea for Two by a mile.

Okay, but why?

I own and love both.
    Tea for Two is like a smokey tea with just a touch of ginger and an invitingly warm base sweetened by vanilla while Five O Clock is a bit spicier with the Lutens-esque candied ginger notes that vibrate against pepper and patchouli with chocolate and honey.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 17th November 2008 at 08:50 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Thumbs up Re: Five O'Clock au Gingembre or Tea For Two

Tea For Two by default. I've never smelled Five O'Clock au Gingembre. I'll have to smell it.

Tea for Two for me. Because it's thicker, richer, and denser. That makes me like it better.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

5 O'clock for me. I love the ginger and spices of SL. Tea for two is very nice to but only lasts for a short while with me and does not have all the delicios SL spices that I love.

Five O'Clock au Gingembre imho has nothing challenging to offer. if you have sniffed crushed ginger before, then thats exactly how it smells in its opening notes..only getting milder and transparent towards base proceeding to a ver dull base of amber and honey

Tea for two on the other hand is dense & smoky with rich textures at every layer it sheds..it's very smooth and powdery and has hit the "chai" note to perfection with the right amounts going in...

matter of fact it depends on what scent are you lookin for...if you are looking for something refreshing and light then SL....and if you are lookign for somethin smoky, dense and spicy then TfT
    Last edited by jenson; 17th November 2008 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks for responses. I'm looking for a rich scent of this type which is also smoother than Ambre Sultan. Not as loud and abrasive. I can't remember exactly what Tea For Two smells like but I remember liking it when I first got into niche stuff. My sample of Five O'Clock I like a lot. I don't care if the scent I choose is going to be challenging or off the wall different from what everyone else is wearing, because both of these are way more complex than the aquas and Fierces around my campus.

Does anyone else find that Tea For Two does not hold up with longevity/sillage?

tea for two without hesitation

okay but WHY

I cannot speak to Five O'Clock as i've only tried it briefly on paper.

However, having tried T42 a few times I can attest to it's odd longevity. It starts out with a great deal of silage and continues putting out for a solid hour at least. After it calms down it morphs into a comfortable close to the skin scent while not simultaneously thinning out. It's as if the silage is cut by 75% with no discernible change in strength or concentration. If finally peters out to a whisper after 6-8 hours on me. Great stuff.

I'm not much of a 5OClock fan... you have to really like ginger, and it doesn't ever become the comfortable gourmand it could become. Just too spiced up. T42 is something of a wonder. Lovely rich 'tea gourmand' that always stays fun. If you love ginger, go with the SL, otherwise I'd pick L'Artisan.

Blog Entries

Tea for Two is extremely dense and smoky. This does not suit my taste at all, so I choose Five o'Clock.

That's an interesting distinction to make.

A while ago I bought Bvlgari Black - a dark, smoky, vanilla - because I was enraptured with something about it. But eventually I realized it was just too bland. Too flat. I don't know how to explain it. Too boring. I couldn't enjoy it anymore so I'm now selling it. Do you feel that Tea For Two is like this, kopah?

I feel like Five O'Clock is pretty weak in the longevity department after having worn it today. Compared to my other frags - Himalaya, Ambre Sultan, and SMW.

From those two, I like Tea for Two better.

That reminds me, I should wear this again since the weather is getting colder here..

I much prefer the Five O'clock to Tea for two...FOC is spicier and more of a comfort scent than TFT

Basenotes Institution

Tea for Two.

I think because it's smokier and more 'wearable' on my skin. FOCG was kind of a 'mess' on my skin when it dried down.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I own and love both.
    Tea for Two is like a smokey tea with just a touch of ginger and an invitingly warm base sweetened by vanilla while Five O Clock is a bit spicier with the Lutens-esque candied ginger notes that vibrate against pepper and patchouli with chocolate and honey.
    Is chocolate a listed note for 5 o clock?

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I don't believe so, and I don't get chocolate out of it to be honest.

I get 24 hours to 36 hours of solid, strong longevity out of Tea for Two. That's my experience though.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I just don't want to have 666 posts anymore :P

Have yet to smell 5o'clock Gingembre, but Tea for Two shared that awful balmy grease note with Equipage.
    So I'll take Gingembre blind like a MF.

Grease note? Interesting. I don't get that, but I can sometimes get a mildly unpleasant sourness at the end of the drydown, a bit like warm ketchup (subtle!). T42 has a great top/heart phase though. And yes, I do want to smell like a glass of Thai Iced Tea, thank you.

Never smelled 5O'C.

http://www.bagbalm.com/
    +
    several other notes

= Tea For Two
    = Equipage

Go test for yourself. Never had any tea that tasted like that.

For me Tft has better top notes and Fo'C better drydown!

Tea for Two by a long shot.

Five o'Clock!
    Tft is about the tea, FoC about the ginger IMHO.
    Do like ginger, do not like tea, hence the choice.
    Smellin good

Tea for Two is smokier but has that slightly annoying L'Artisan thin watery quality about it.

5O'clock has more substance and heft and a great mix of ginger and tea notes. It gets my vote. Check out my 5oclick review for more details.
    -

Sur la Plage

It's no contest - Tea for Two wins hands down
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

^
    What he said.
    Last edited by ajmc; 31st January 2011 at 03:23 AM.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I`d stick with Five O Clock, because it`s more balanced overall than Tea For Two. Tea for two starts with a blast of smoky tea, spices, honey, and then, 3-4 hours later, the scent fades to a very skin scent. It`s a problem with all L'Artisan, you get the artistical part, but the their scents seem to be always poor in the technical aspects of sillage and longevity. Five O Clock is not so smoky and spicey, but last longes and it has a decent sillage. I like how the aroma goes from a tea ginger aroma to a base that remember vanilla cookies without smelling so sweet. It`s one of the easiets lutens to like, and one that it`s not hard to wear at all. While Tea For Two seems more impressive, Five O Clock has the whole package (interesting fragrance, sillage, longevity).

Five O'clock