Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile SotD Tuesday 18 November

NUIT NOIRE ( from samples ), Mona di Orio

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: SotD Tuesday 18 November

CABOTINE on this gloomy, cold day.
    I need to have a bounce in my step!

Dune

I'll be off to a conference for almost a week, still cannot decide which scents to bring.

Have a lovely day all of you!

Farouche

Yesterday's post of Nukapai's visit to Roja Dove made me want to visit this fragrance again.
    Created in 1974 but the extrait in the beautiful Lalique bottle is still in production.

One of those moments when the Lalique collector in me falls head over heels for a perfume bottle and discovers that there is also a wonderful extrait to enjoy.
    What more to wish for........

Floral - Aldehyde
    Top notes - Aldehydes, Bergamot, Peach, Mandarin
    Heart notes - Rose, Carnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Cyclamen, Honeysuckle
    Base notes - Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Amber

Crystal bottle by Marc Lalique

FiFi Awards
    in 1975 for
    Women's Fragrance of the Year - Luxe
    Bottle Design: Women's Best Packaging of the Year - Prestige

The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I'm wearing Jicky today. Then, when it's almost faded away, and I'm getting ready to go out this evening, I'll change to Shalimar.

For some reason, I was really conscious of the civet today, especially at the start - I think my experiment with Mouchoir do Monsieur highlighted that. I'm wearing the EDP, but I have a 1 ml sample of the parfum, so I think I'll try that again. I suspect I prefer the parfum.

Wore Pink Sugar today and found samples in the mail. Wearing Burberry Brit Red now (thanks Taolady!!!) and loving it! Taolady and Wordbird were right (as per usual)

Up way too early this morning after a fabulous dinner with ScentBro - SMM.

Turns out we're even more siblings than we think!!!!

After digging through the bag of goodies he brought - settled on

Frederic Malle - French Lover / Bois D'Orage

Hint of orange rind and black pepper on the immediate top, then settles into a resinous incense, still with the hint of orange oil. Just enough to round it out a tad.

Could easily see the SO wearing this one (if I wanted to separate him from his Farenheit).

ScentBro! It was a blast breaking bread with you!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

I'm wearing Ta'if by Ormonde Jayne. Notes include: Pink pepper, saffron and dates; rose oil, freesia, orange flower absolute and jasmine; broom and amber.

It is slightly darker than I wanted for today, but on the other hand it is distinctive enough. I thought I'd over-applied at first, but three hours after application I can hardly smell it. If I concetrate hard I can smell the florals.

Good morning, Sestra !
    "The earth says hello ! You twinkle above us-
    We twinkle below..."
    I wish Ta'if lasted longer, too.

Ah, Rhiannon !
    Vintage Farouche is SUCH a joy....

If Mousie makes her poor dog RANDY again today, I'll aspirate my coffeee

Right now, I'm in Eau de Decant...
    Packages going out to several dears.
    But I think Parfum Sacre is singing to me, this am.
    Spicy lovely warm...it's cold out there.

Love to you all !
    [I THINK I'm coming back to life, again....]

Good morning everybody.Sotd is chosen for me by Tang.A nice choice,because I was just in the mood for Coco today Good to hear that Chaya feels better! Have a nice tuesday all!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 18th November 2008 at 10:55 AM.

[QUOTE=chayaruchama;1360302]
    If Mousie makes her poor dog RANDY again today, I'll aspirate my coffeee
    QUOTE]

Teehee, he´s always randy, chaya, but usually it´s daughter´s chihuahua he´s after. No luck there either, she bites his paws if he tries anything...

Today I´m wearing Gucci by Gucci, from a brand new bottle which is a gift from an a*DORA*ble Basenoter!
    Thank you so very, very much!!!

Basenotes Plus

(((((Chaya!))))) - that's good to hear.

Joining Ailuros in Guerlain,

Winter Delice for me. Have a great day, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Scent twins with Sestra in Ta'if, body lotion and edp, maybe that will increase the longevity!

Have a wonderful day, all.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Today it is still cold ( to me) 29 degrees F or almost 0 C (forgot about that yesterday Riannon) so I am wearing Cuir Mauresque.

Taking my British friend shopping ( she HATES to shop and says I have 2 hours to produce a wardrobe). It will be interesting she is a riot!

Have a great day!

Chaya so happy to hear you are doing better Many hugs to you

Wearing Philosykos and SL Daim Blond to test. The Daim Blond is nice and if I didnt have Dzing I might buy it, it gives a sort of sweetness to a tamed leather and Dzing is sweet but not tamed so I'd stick with Dzing. The name is nicer to say too.

Philosykos smells like wet greenery, and it does make me remember Marrakech when I was sitting in a spa eating figs, it just misses a touch of rose to make it complete so I might try experimenting layer it with different roses to see if I can make the perfect marrakech scent that captures the hammam.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Forever Amber!! (What a great name for a book!!

Nah.

It'd never sell.)

Went to bed yesters with my little mini of Ambre de Cabochard (still with me this ayem!!) and it got me in the mood (chilly again today ... won't even make it to 50F) ... and I headed right for the sample of Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé that Quarry sent me.

Funny...this totally removed my socks Sunday night but doesn't seem the same this chilly ayem. Getting lotsa tobacco and a neutral sort of amber but not the sensuous honeyed warmth of the other evening...

Hmnnn.
    Last edited by TaoLady; 18th November 2008 at 11:37 AM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Sur la Plage

Richard James Savile Row

Top Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Ginger, Green Tea Leaves, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Basil
    Middle Notes: Cardamom, Coriander, Tuberose, Lily of the Valley, Rose, Lavender
    Base Notes: Suede, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Amber, Vetiver, Musk, Oak Moss

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Just woke up to about 8 inches of snow at 23 degrees F.

My scent today was chosen by Ineespenes, and it's absolutely perfect!

POISON by Christian Dior

This will rev me up to get out and shovel myself out of the driveway!!! Thanks for choosing a powerhouse Ine, I'm needing it today !

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Continuing with Montana Parfum d'Homme as SotD. I awoke still sillaging last night's application. Perfect for today's cool weather.
    Last edited by kbe; 18th November 2008 at 11:45 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Morning Star

Default Re: SotD Monday 17 November 2008

Monday 17 November 2008
    Morning: Hermès Terre d'Hermès
    Evening: Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle (from a sample, courtesy of Andrew_B and Aiona)

Still reminiscing in my mind over the awesome dinner last night with ScentSis sakecat22. We had tapas and we talked and talked. I also got some inspirtation for another visit to Candy Town but I won't be going alone this time. Always wonderful when I meet fellow Basenoters how much more we have to talk about than just perfume. I'm getting all verklempt, talk amongst yourselves.
    Next to last day and I'm needing some power so I'm in:

Tom Ford for Men

This is a modern oriental with lots of power and sillage. There is nothing surprising about it but it is well-constructed and sometimes that's all you need.
    Have a Terrific Tuesday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Was wearing Bulgari BLACK this morning. It had faded by lunchtime, so I'm testing TABAC BLOND by Caron from a sample. First impressions: strong smoky incense, which I love. I don't get any leather yet.

Sakecat is in the area ????
    HEY, YOU !
    How could I not know this ?
    Sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post

Nah.

It'd never sell.)
    Oh yes, my dear Tao.....it is a book by Kathleen Winsor and.....you could say: a bestseller Even now it is still sold on Amazon.
    They even translated it into Dutch and my mother almost got an attack when I brought it home from the library.

I think that meant that she had been reading it as well but thought it unsuitable for her daughter
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Tea for Two.

18°F / -7.7°C but no new snow.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Chanel Sycomore today ~ vetiver, sandalwood, cypress, juniper and pink pepper

Started with a few sprays of DIOR HOMME, now the excellent Miyako by Annayake.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

YSL Paris today for me. Have a nice Tuesday, all!

Chaya - I'm in Washington DC. SMM is visiting me (and has that pesky darned conference).

Hope to make it up to your neck of the woods soon.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Taolady, I loved Ambre Narguile for quite a while and couldn't understand how others said it smelled too much like apple pie. Then, one day, it finally became pie to me. So, while I still love to sniff it from my sampler tray, I haven't worn it and swapped away most of what I owned. So many frags smell different in the daylight than at night, too, don't they?

Tang, love the scarved smiley. No measurable snow here, Ubu, and we've managed to not use the main furnace or the bathroom one yet. The pot-bellied woodstove and fans have kept the castle warm thus far.

Wearing E by Sophia Grosjman this a.m. (I may have sprayed too much ). Gotta write a review within this thread. If anyone wants a sample, just say "hey."

rtamara, sestra: Soon I will join you in Ta'if because I am ordering today (with the THANKS discount).

I am wearing Ambre Russe, which, if I believed in just one, would be my HG. It is so deeply and immediately satisfying to me.

I'm in CdG Ouarzazate, from a decant. Is it possible that I need a full bottle of this even though I have a full bottle of Avignon? I think so. (Is it possible that I am addicted to fragrance? Again, I think the answer is yes.)

Crêpe de Chine, Millot
    It's like being onto a cloud all day ...
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Testing testing testing....

L'artisan Mure et Musc

This may be the most mainstream frag I've sampled yet. It's not bad, lovely in fact, but no mystery here. I'm thinking I should try this again in the spring.
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thérèse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amère, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

Basenotes Plus

VISA for me today, snow "showers" this morning. And to think just three days ago it was 71 degrees here.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Wearing Dune today.

Lovely and warm Safran Troublant for me today!

Dzing! today for me. It isn't as long-lasting as I would like, but wonderful nonetheless. Have good Tuesdays, all.

40º and sunny in Montana with no snow on the ground. I can hardly believe it.

Le Baiser du Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    rtamara, sestra: Soon I will join you in Ta'if because I am ordering today (with the THANKS discount).

I am wearing Ambre Russe, which, if I believed in just one, would be my HG. It is so deeply and immediately satisfying to me.
    Then I'm in good company today with you both. I wish I'd brought my sample of Ta'if with me to work, I could have done with a top-up this afternoon.

Last night I wore OJ's Tolu which reminded me so much of Ambre Sultan, though slightly drier and with a touch of lavender. It was very rich, a syrupy gourmand I would say, and you reminded me of it with your sumptuous Ambre Russe. If I can find any AR left in my sample cupboard, I will wear it tonight.

My, but we smell good.

The Sandalwood thread has me wearing Bois des Iles EDT this morning.

All this talk about Ta'If's lack of longevity has me anxious about last night's purchase of the EDP. It's such a great scent I guess I'll just decant some and reapply during the day.

Have a great day all!

Started off in Hiris, but couldn't resist spraying on L'Air du Desert Marocain after coming home again. Falling hard and fast for that one, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady

Nah.

It'd never sell.)
    Actually, there is a blog by that name I came across the other day. So maybe the problem would be copyright, rather than sales.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 18th November 2008 at 04:47 PM.

Thierry MuglerAlien

Susanne Lang Midnight Orchid

I LOVE that bottle RIANNON! It's lovely!

Still no snow here, but getting cold at -1 C. BAL A VERSAILLES parfum is warming me up quite nicely though.

Wonderful to see you feeling better CHAYA!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Basenotes Institution

El Attarine by Serge Lutens

It was chilly this morning in Miami, and some Lutens (like this one) just beg to be worn in cool weather...I'm still trying to figure out what this scents says to me. It's a mysterious one and not 'instant love', that's for sure.

Glad to be back on BN after my short trip to LA. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post

18°F / -7.7°C but no new snow.
    That is so cute, tang! Where do you all find these adorable smileys?

Today, we had a perfume sale at work. And, I just got back from perfume shopping, so there's no way I'm buying another bottle.

However, I am sampling Cuba Paris' Cuba Gold on my left arm. It is very nice! Vanilla, spices, musky, maybe amber. It's rather JPG Le Male-like. And totally wearable by a gal.

On my right I'm still getting lots of sillage from the Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee.

These are two very different scents! I feel like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
    Last edited by Aiona; 18th November 2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: the other left

Egoiste (Chanel)

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    The Sandalwood thread has me wearing Bois des Iles EDT this morning.

All this talk about Ta'If's lack of longevity has me anxious about last night's purchase of the EDP. It's such a great scent I guess I'll just decant some and reapply during the day.

Lush, don't let me put you off the glorious Ta'if. I'm sure to have better luck next time, I'll wear body lotion underneath to make sure of it.

I wish you well to wear it.

Tonight I couldn't find any Ambre Russe as stated earlier, so I'm sticking with my Ormonde Jayne samples and wearing Frangipane. It was not my preference, but now it is on I am loving it. I was fading with tiredness but suddenly my senses feel awakened.

Hi all. Posting late again after another busy day.
    Glad to hear you're all doing well and especially glad to hear you're starting to feel better Chaya. A big hug to all of you, just because.

I'm in eau de decant too, but underneath it all is Lutens La Myrrhe. I'd read the Turin/Sanchez review, so expected it to be light, rather than a heavy incense. The topnotes were nice, but didn't make me shout or leap in any particular direction. The heart reminded me very much of... Chanel No 22! has anyone else got that from it or am I bonkers? The basenotes are lost in a fug of decanting orientals.

All this talk of Dzing and Ambre Narguile makes me recklessly consider spritzing with both before bed, just to see if together they approximate Ambre Russe. And you know, it's incredibly likely that I'll do it. D'you know why? Because I'll imagine Tao's voice in my head saying 'Go on, Birdie, I dare you!'

I'll let you know what it's like tomorrow.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    That is so cute, tang! Where do you all find these adorable smileys?
    I once asked Tao that very same question, and I'm pretty sure it was she who directed me to kolobok.us.

Shalimarrrrrrrr pour moi!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Angel again today
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post

Nah.

It'd never sell.).....
    Um...this was a - um - joke?

Not only was it a monster seller back in the day (the 40's here in the Colonies) but a major feature film as well. Thought you kids were too young to get the joke.....um - sorry!

For the soir...basking in Quarry's other little gift ....Sophia Grojsman's "E" for Jelisaveta Karadorevick...lush flowers over lustrous amber. Yumsters!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 18th November 2008 at 09:07 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Midnight Poison was my sotd. Had a horrible day, thank God it's over!

Good evening everyone!
    I'm wearing today Musc Ravageur by Malle.

Heading out to the hospital for a damn meeting wearing Cherugi.

summer means fireflys

Lots of us in Dior today ... mine is Dolce Vita.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I was given a few Serge Lutens samples on Sunday so I wore Fleurs de Citronnier today from a sample. It starts off like a summery cologne underpinned by medicinal notes and (on my skin) quickly turns to honey/lemon blend that's a cross between a posh deodorant and something you might take if you have the flu. I don't think it's unpleasant, but it doesn't make me lust after it either. I've worn this before from a tester and had the same experience. Nice to know it was accurate, I guess.

Riannon, I'm very envious of your SotD!

Oooh, and I think I've just realised that Farouche IS: a while back there was some discussion of the "perfume that happens when a leather strap of the watch gets saturated with our favourite scents". Well. Farouche is that, bottled.