Code of Conduct

Thread: Indole

Default Indole

I've bought indole 10%
    http://store.perfumersapprentice.com/ac-1610.html

and omg the stench! I've diluted it a lot (like 1 drop to 30 ml of jojoba oil) and it still smells strong.

I've used it in a couple of floral blends, more cos that's what Linda suggested and now I don't smell the difference before and after adding it.

So what are you experiences and uses of this one?

Default Re: Indole

When you buy pre-diluted chems it is best to further dilute using whatever it is already diluted with. What is it pre-diluted with? I'm sure she would label it on the bottle ...

It is difficult if not impossible to make a jasmine, to name a single example, without indole.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebewshka View Post
    When you buy pre-diluted chems it is best to further dilute using whatever it is already diluted with. What is it pre-diluted with? I'm sure she would label it on the bottle ...

It is difficult if not impossible to make a jasmine, to name a single example, without indole.
    This is what the sites says:
    Indole - 10% in IPM (no idea what IPM means and where could I get it...)

Linda wrote me though though that all the aromachemicals would dilute just fine in a carrier oil.
    So I did (using jojoba oil).
    But no idea of what it does...

IPM= isopropyl myristate. After you diluted it in jojoba, what does the mixture smell like? And just out of curiosity what color is it? Bet it's orange-red to pink.
    Indole should smell like tooth decay.

IPM= isopropyl myristate. After you diluted it in jojoba, what does the mixture smell like? And just out of curiosity what color is it? Bet it's orange-red to pink.
    Indole should smell like tooth decay.
    Smells the same just a bit weaker. It's colorless. It smells like a dentist office all right LOL but more like the scent of the stuff they use to fill a cavity? Very chemical strong smell. I've just smelled it again and yes! tooth decay indeed, but in a strong chemical way!

Can you imagine I have only used 1 or 2 drops, the original bottle of 15 ml is almost full. What will I do with all that stuff???

The stuff is a pain because it discolors everything. People think 15 ml is a small amount, but it's all relative isn't it?

In answer to your other thread as well, have you thought of taking the free intro course at Perfumers World? It is very good considering it costs nothing and I believe there are some formulas to get you started (like a basic rose, jasmine, etc).

Beginners need practice but they also need encouragement. Nothing is more encouraging that being able to say, I made this jasmine frag by myself! Even if it isn't the world's greatest jasmine, it is something you made.

The stuff is a pain because it discolors everything. People think 15 ml is a small amount, but it's all relative isn't it?

In answer to your other thread as well, have you thought of taking the free intro course at Perfumers World? It is very good considering it costs nothing and I believe there are some formulas to get you started (like a basic rose, jasmine, etc).

Beginners need practice but they also need encouragement. Nothing is more encouraging that being able to say, I made this jasmine frag by myself! Even if it isn't the world's greatest jasmine, it is something you made.
    Wow fun, I like discoloring and chemical interaction Why should it be a pain if you use it in perfume (where color is not so functional imo)?
    I saw the website of the perfumersworld and I don't know, but it seems a bit 'cheesy' like not so pro looking. But a free course can't get me in trouble although I've put a stop to buying more stuff till I'm through experimenting with what I have.

Are you affiliated?

We do have here a good online store with courses and workshops and good materials
    http://www.hekserij.nl/en/main.htm.
    I just don't think I'm ready for taking courses, I love experimenting too much and I take my time in exploring and reading at my own pace.

I'm glad I found this forum, I wish we had more of these in Europe...

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post

We do have here a good online store with courses and workshops and good materials
    http://www.hekserij.nl/en/main.htm.
    I just don't think I'm ready for taking courses, I love experimenting too much and I take my time in exploring and reading at my own pace.

I'm glad I found this forum, I wish we had more of these in Europe...
    At Hekserij Jan has a nice ParfumBouwDoos - a set of prepared perfume bases and a book of recipes. Very easy to use and nice to experiment with. When you start with a base you don't have to "build" a rose or jasmine from very beginning, but you can still modify them. You can try your Indole (and may be also Ylang essential oil) in combination with Jasmine base in a Flowery perfume.

I did use Indole myself in a Jasmine base (from the perfumersworld). I used 10% without further dilution. It was really amazing to notice that Indole gives a certain depth and a kind of extra dimension (in the base). Very interesting to use with "white flowers" accords or tropical flowers. But I only used Indole with other aromachemicals (and essential oils), do I don't have any experience in using Indole with blends made only from essential oil.

Good luck!
    Anais Nin: "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
    Link to my perfumery blog: http://aromax-on-line.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AromaX View Post
    At Hekserij Jan has a nice ParfumBouwDoos - a set of prepared perfume bases and a book of recipes. Very easy to use and nice to experiment with. When you start with a base you don't have to "build" a rose or jasmine from very beginning, but you can still modify them. You can try your Indole (and may be also Ylang essential oil) in combination with Jasmine base in a Flowery perfume.

I did use Indole myself in a Jasmine base (from the perfumersworld). I used 10% without further dilution. It was really amazing to notice that Indole gives a certain depth and a kind of extra dimension (in the base). Very interesting to use with "white flowers" accords or tropical flowers. But I only used Indole with other aromachemicals (and essential oils), do I don't have any experience in using Indole with blends made only from essential oil.

Good luck!
    Well atm I simply don't have the money for that course... And I've already got so many ingredients to experiment with To how much base did you added the indole?
    I've added 3 drops of further diluted indole to 30 ml of blend. I didn't smell any difference but my blend did not 'cure' enough I think...

Ow my blend includes nightblooming jasmine, freesia, tuberose & rose and another was mainly carnation. So maybe it didn't work cos of the flowers, it comes to mind

Another thing: just got email from Linda and all the aromachemicals they sell can be diluted with jojoba oil. But she also mentioned hedione. Anyone that works with hedione?

Thank you all, your thoughts are appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    Can you imagine I have only used 1 or 2 drops, the original bottle of 15 ml is almost full. What will I do with all that stuff???
    i wouldn't mind buying a few drops from you. just 1 or 2 ml undiluted would be great, if you like (of course). is it expensive?

Indole intensifies the narcotic effect of white floral accords and plumps it up. A little goes a long way and it is used in minute dilutions. I agree with Rebewshka. Trying to make jasmine without indole is like trying to make rose without geraniol.

Hedione is amazing to work with and not as difficult as indole. It really rounds up the accord beautifully and smooths it. Not unlike Iso E Super, hedione can be a little anosmic to some noses but when worked in an accord, you can tell the difference.

Try working into your jasmine accord some hedione, indole and the tiniest bit of civet. Animalic, intense and narcotic.