Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Opium

  1. #1
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Opium

    After 25 years buying fragrances I bought Opium today. I REALLY tried to like it. I sort of feel bad that I dont find it appealing, it is more on the ordinary and common side of the fragrance spectrum. Perhaps there was a time when it was a total winner and many followed but at this point of time it does not tell me much.
    It is a classic, loved by many, and praised by aficionados but... for me is just not what for so many is.
    I thought it will be stronger with a killer sillage but on my sky is not doing that. I guess everyone interested in fragrances ,at some point, has to have Opium, including me.
    Does anyone feel the same?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opium

    No, Basteri, you're apparently not alone. I don't know Opium personally (I'm sure I've smelled it, as it was once apparently fairly ubiquitous, but I'm not sure I could identify it), but Luca Turin seems to agree with you. Here's part of his (five star) review from Perfumes: The Guide (pp. 269-270):

    [Opium] is unquestionably one of the greatest fragrances of all time, not only in terms of phenomenal success, but in having deserved it. Yet I would hate it if anyone wore it near me today….Opium said one thing, and one thing only with tremendous force. This, and not the quality of its raw materials, is what made Opium smell so fascinatingly solid in 1980 and now makes it smell tiresome.
    (Just to be clear, this review is of Opium, not Opium PH, which LT simply dislikes.)
    Last edited by PhinClio; 18th November 2008 at 05:44 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Opium

    A small request, please state the entire name of a fragrance (at least once) when discussing a scent so that we know which fragrance you are referring to.

    The Fragrance Directory lists twelve fragrances with 'Opium' in the name.

    I don't even know which gender you are referencing - strictly speaking, Opium is a feminine fragrance.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  4. #4
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,400

    Default Re: Opium

    After reading so many good reviews by fellow BNoters I tried it almost five times to no avail: I don't and I can't like it.

    Moreover, being a lover of JHL and being it so difficult to find and buy, my preferences are along the female version of Opium. I still have half a bottle of JHL, but I know that as soon as I finsh it I will buying Opium for women. This would actually mean that I will have to break one condition I imposed on myself regarding this hobby as a way of keeping the number of bottles to a "minimum": not buying scents for women.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Opium

    Tastes change, it's unavoidable, but at they change for the individuals and for the masses, they also cycle and recycle. That's why maybe some great classics like Habanita No. 5 etc etc have never disappeared yet they've seen good and bad periods.
    I think the same happens with fragrances like Opium, extremely successful at once, then considered boring, and maybe again groundbreaking at the next taste change. I think Opium is a classic, really son of his era, with that clear, sensual message of exotic beauty, theatrical sensuality of the late 70's and first 80's mood, but that's the mood we can still play with nowadays, trying to interpret it with new attitude in nowadays life. like putting on a vintage clothe with something else brand new to mix up and play, making it reinvented.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    A small request, please state the entire name of a fragrance (at least once) when discussing a scent so that we know which fragrance you are referring to.

    The Fragrance Directory lists twelve fragrances with 'Opium' in the name.

    I don't even know which gender you are referencing - strictly speaking, Opium is a feminine fragrance.
    Good point! I just assumed that Basteri was talking about the original Opium (marketed as a feminine).

    IMO men and women can wear whatever they want, and that includes fragrances marketed to the other gender. So if someone references "Opium," I always assume they mean the original "feminine" and not one of the many flankers.

  7. #7
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: Opium

    sorry, you are all right saying just Opium can get to confusion. What I bought today is Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum (1995).
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  8. #8
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,400

    Default Re: Opium

    Basteri, did you try Opium pour Femme?

  9. #9
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: Opium

    To be honest only now, in the past couple of months I am venturing into unisex and even considering women´s fragrances. Answering your question I would have to say no.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  10. #10
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,400

    Default Re: Opium

    You will be surprised, they don't have anything to do...

  11. #11
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: Opium

    I will try it as soon as I have the chance.
    Do you wear any women fragrance.
    Are you in Bs As ?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    So if someone references "Opium," I always assume they mean the original "feminine" and not one of the many flankers.
    You can assume that, but given that most scents posted about here relate to what men wear, in general your assumption would be grossly incorrect.
    Renato

  13. #13

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    sorry, you are all right saying just Opium can get to confusion. What I bought today is Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum (1995).
    Fascinating that the EDP version didn't grab you as something out of the ordinary.

    I don't wear it that much as it's a bit overpowering, but I think it extremely noteworthy.

    My wife wears the women's version - it smells like a woman's scent to me.
    Renato

  14. #14

    Default Re: Opium

    I don't know Opium pour Homme but I can tell you that Opium pour Femme in vintage (a chypré with jasmine) is one of the best fragrances on earth if you use it with parcimony.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You can assume that, but given that most scents posted about here relate to what men wear, in general your assumption would be grossly incorrect.
    Renato
    Thanks for putting it so delicately, Renato ;-)

    In fact, if you look at the basenotes reviews of Opium (the original) there are at least five men who, in one way or another, mention wearing it or wanting to wear it.

    As someone else says up thread, it's really not that difficult to specify that one is talking about Opium PH rather than Opium (just two keystrokes, in fact). Yes, most posts on the Male Fragrance Discussion board will refer to fragrances marketed as masculine or unisex (duh!). But all of them don't, as some men aren't afraid to wear certain fragrances marketed to women (see the many Mitsouko threads, for example).

    So it's still a good idea to avoid confusion and name the specific fragrance one is talking about.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    Thanks for putting it so delicately, Renato ;-)

    In fact, if you look at the basenotes reviews of Opium (the original) there are at least five men who, in one way or another, mention wearing it or wanting to wear it.

    As someone else says up thread, it's really not that difficult to specify that one is talking about Opium PH rather than Opium (just two keystrokes, in fact). Yes, most posts on the Male Fragrance Discussion board will refer to fragrances marketed as masculine or unisex (duh!). But all of them don't, as some men aren't afraid to wear certain fragrances marketed to women (see the many Mitsouko threads, for example).

    So it's still a good idea to avoid confusion and name the specific fragrance one is talking about.
    The only confusion that could arise is in the minds of a small (but growing) minority here who like wearing a small range of women's scents.

    To my mind, it is encumbent on them to be specific about including Pour Femme or "women's version" in their posts on this board, rather than suggesting everyone else puts Pour Homme on theirs.

    Renato

  17. #17

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I don't know Opium pour Homme but I can tell you that Opium pour Femme in vintage (a chypré with jasmine) is one of the best fragrances on earth if you use it with parcimony.
    My wife really likes it, but has to use it infrequently and in small doses, or she develops an allergic reaction to it where she's sprayed it on her skin.
    Renato

  18. #18

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You can assume that, but given that most scents posted about here relate to what men wear, in general your assumption would be grossly incorrect.
    Renato
    What you say is true. However, it is also true that an incomplete name is an incorrect name.

    The female fragrance is called Opium not Opium Pour Femme. Most fragrances are named in this manner. "Pour Homme" is added to a fragrance in order to distinguish it from the female version.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 18th November 2008 at 05:07 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  19. #19

    Default Re: Opium

    I`we been wearing this for some weeks no, and in the beginning i really loved it! But after a while the black-currant is becoming more and more noticeable, and i`m sorry to say that i`m not so happy about exactly that!...

  20. #20

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    After 25 years buying fragrances I bought Opium today.
    I just have to ask the obvious question - why have you waited 25 years before buying Opium PH ?

  21. #21

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    What you say is true. However, it is also true that an incomplete name is an incorrect name.

    The female fragrance is called Opium not Opium Pour Femme. Most fragrances are named in this manner. "Pour Homme" is added to a fragrance in order to distinguish it from the female version.
    What you say is 100% correct, and I often use the full designation myself.

    But when a guy posts here something like,
    "Please recommend me a strong oriental for a first date this Saturday"
    and he gets responses like,
    "Opium
    Obsession
    Joop
    Arpege
    Envy"

    I've never once seen the original poster come back and ask,
    "Do you mean the man's Pour Homme version or the women's version? Please be specific, else your abbreviated response may mislead me, and I may go buy the wrong version of the scent."

    The implicit assumption is always that the responses relates to the man's version, because of the nature and title of the board. Similarly, that same response, made to an equivalent question on the female board, will result in their being assumed to be female scents.

    It doesn't hurt to write the full designation, but when it isn't written, the assumption about the scent version under discussion, is most logically that relating to the board's heading.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 18th November 2008 at 10:22 PM.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    What you say is 100% correct, and I often use the full designation myself.

    But when a guy posts here something like,
    "Please recommend me a strong oriental for a first date this Saturday"
    and he gets responses like,
    "Opium
    Obsession
    Joop
    Arpege
    Envy"

    I've never once seen the original poster come back and ask,
    "Do you mean the man's Pour Homme version or the women's version? Please be specific, else your abbreviated response may mislead me, and I may go buy the wrong version of the scent."

    The implicit assumption is always that the responses relates to the man's version, because of the nature and title of the board. Similarly, that same response, made to an equivalent question on the female board, will result in their being assumed to be female scents.

    It doesn't hurt to write the full designation, but when it isn't written, the assumption about the scent version under discussion, is most logically that relating to the board's heading.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Everyone is different, I try to keep it simple by assuming that everyone is a newbie for whom English is a second language. I would rather use five words too many to describe something than five words too few.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  23. #23


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Everyone is different, I try to keep it simple by assuming that everyone is a newbie for whom English is a second language. I would rather use five words too many to describe something than five words too few.
    Keep it on topic, I happen to like Opium and would like to hear everyone's opinion; I don't give a shit about proper syntax and the way to name a fragrance, neither does anyone else. Gentleman, PM please.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 19th November 2008 at 04:24 AM.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Opium

    Not to drag this out, but I think that a misinterpretation in this case is especially understandable since the original Opium (for women) had such an enormous impact whereas the men's version (whether you like it or not) was really just another fragrance. It's like if you mentioned Arpege, most people would assume you meant the original. I vote for specificity.

  25. #25
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: Opium

    Opium PH is only 13 years old so, it took me 13 years to buy it. I did not got it before because smell it "old" to me. My preferences have changed. I am wearing it again today, same feeling as yesterday... it leaves me indifferent.

    As far as the right way of naming a fragrance I assumed that being a male fragrance forum it was granted I was referring to a "male" fragrance. I was wrong, Opium is indeed praised by the one release in the 70´s for woman. Guilty of all charges.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Not to drag this out, but I think that a misinterpretation in this case is especially understandable since the original Opium (for women) had such an enormous impact whereas the men's version (whether you like it or not) was really just another fragrance. It's like if you mentioned Arpege, most people would assume you meant the original. I vote for specificity.
    If people mention Arpege on this forum, unless they qualify it, I assume they're referring to the masculine scent rather than the girly scent that Luca Turin weirdly thinks is unisex.
    Renato

  27. #27


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,359

    Default Re: Opium

    Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    After 25 years buying fragrances I bought Opium today. I REALLY tried to like it. I sort of feel bad that I dont find it appealing, it is more on the ordinary and common side of the fragrance spectrum. Perhaps there was a time when it was a total winner and many followed but at this point of time it does not tell me much.
    It is a classic, loved by many, and praised by aficionados but... for me is just not what for so many is.
    I thought it will be stronger with a killer sillage but on my sky is not doing that. I guess everyone interested in fragrances ,at some point, has to have Opium, including me.
    Does anyone feel the same?
    I bought Opium blind and loved it, but then again I love sweet oriental fragrances so I knew this was going to be a winner; hands down. On the other hand, if I did not like this kind then I would HATE opium bc it is an extreme version of a semi-sweet oriental. Basteri, what did you dislike about Opium?
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 19th November 2008 at 06:53 AM.

  28. #28
    Basteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Casterly Rock and Roll
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: Opium

    I dont dislike anything in particular I just think is nothing out of the ordinary. Opium is one of the big names among fragrances I was expecting something more special.
    When I got Yatagan my hopes were not very high but once I tried I think the fragrance is a real titan!
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Opium

    Opium is a great fragrance, but it's a little too brash for my tastes. I prefer (and own and wear) Opium Eau d'Orient (not the later Poésie de Chine variant) which is more in line with modern tastes (not that that necessarily makes it 'better') and has a great amber/woods dry down. I suppose it could be called "Opium Light", though I'm glad it's not!

Similar Threads

  1. An indulgent Opium PH rant...
    By Sorcery of Scent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 25th February 2008, 05:34 AM
  2. Opium ph Eau d'Orient 2006 and 2007 compared
    By fakepurseninja in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th March 2007, 12:25 PM
  3. Layering other scents with Opium?
    By High_Tech_Radiance in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th February 2007, 02:16 AM
  4. Male scent that smells like Opium
    By pellen in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11th December 2006, 12:39 AM
  5. Opium parfum or other
    By stevolution in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10th April 2006, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •