Code of Conduct

Default Discussion: Black Aoud vs. No.88

There has been talk about this in the past but alas it has not alleviated my curiosity. So please indulge my intense determination to figure this out. I own BA but have never sampled N88. Is it overkill to own both? Are they simply too similar to own both? I know many of you own one or the other and have sampled both and some of you own both. Tell me the secret to my personal enigma. I must get over this paradigm. Which one in your opinion is better and would it be rose overload to own both? Thanks for your considerations!

Edit: I wish I had the patience to order a sample but my next purchase will either be No. 88 or Selection Vert, an old friend.
    Last edited by Scentologist; 22nd November 2008 at 05:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Discussion: Black Aoud vs. No.88

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    There has been talk about this in the past but alas it has not alleviated my curiosity. So please indulge my intense determination to figure this out. I own BA but have never sampled N88. Is it overkill to own both? Are they simply too similar to own both? I know many of you own one or the other and have sampled both and some of you own both. Tell me the secret to my personal enigma. I must get over this paradigm. Which one in your opinion is better and would it be rose overload to own both? Thanks for your considerations!

Edit: I wish I had the patience to order a sample but my next purchase will either be No. 88 or Selection Vert, an old friend.
    I don't see very many similarities between Montale and C&S. I prefer the soapiness and the dominant rose accord in C&S over Montale. Both of them might be an overkill in a wardrobe of 10 or fewer bottles. But they can happily co-exist in a wardrobe of 25 or more bottles IMO.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I don't see very many similarities between Montale and C&S. I prefer the soapiness and the dominant rose accord in C&S over Montale. Both of them might be an overkill in a wardrobe of 10 or fewer bottles. But they can happily co-exist in a wardrobe of 25 or more bottles IMO.
    I agree. There isn't much similarity between the two, other than the obvious rose note. 88 is soap, rose, vetiver, and sandalwood, whereas BO is rose and aoud. I own 88, but only have a small decant of BO, not because I wouldn't be happy to place it next to 88, but because I don't think there would be many occassions for me to wear it.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 22nd November 2008 at 05:37 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

The two are distinctly different enough to warrant separate purchases.

Whilst rose is key to them both, the Aoud accord in Montale, and Incense in No88 are worlds apart.

My advice: spring for a sample No.88 and put your mind at rest.

I had samples of both, liked both, but didn't think twice about which to get a bottle of: No. 88.

They're quite different from each other, so it wouldn't be overkill to have both. I just didn't find the Montale to be wearable enough to warrant a purchase.

No. 88 has a nice Indian style incense accord in it, while Black Aoud is heavier and more sensual. I was personally torn between the two also, so I just bought decants of each! If you can afford them both, I don't think its overkill to own both. One is spiritual, while the other is sensual... IOW, they smell similar but give off different vibes.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Institution

Don't fret about the differences. Own both.

I own and love both. Any similarities between the two are very small. They're completely different scents and types of scent.

Try to be patient for a few days and order a sample from luckyscent! Better safe than sorry.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Didnt like Black Aoud at first but after a couple of wearings it grew on me

You really are a bunch of enablers

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=montale
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I don't have much luck with Montale, bit No.88 sings on my skin.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    One is spiritual, while the other is sensual ...
    And that makes them different ... how? (Sorry, please forgive the indiscretion. )

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I don't have much luck with Montale, bit No.88 sings on my skin.
    Yes, the sensuality of 88 seems to appeal to women more.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    And that makes them different ... how? (Sorry, please forgive the indiscretion. )
    Nicely done
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    One has incense and rose, while the other has aoud and rose, so in my mind:

Incense (no.88) = more spiritual
    Aoud (BA) = more sensual

Different vibes, different fragrances.

Of course this depends on what you associate the smell of incense with. If you have sex in church and meditate in rotting (aoud) trees thats another story.
    Sales thread here

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Of course this depends on what you associate the smell of incense with. If you have sex in church and meditate in rotting (aoud) trees thats another story.
    My schedule's fairly constrained right now, but I might be free this Friday ...
    Last edited by Astaroth; 24th November 2008 at 01:37 AM.