Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Winter Star, Baume du Doge or Chergui

If I Counted correctly, Chergui and Winter Star run neck and neck. I think I have a buddy getting me a deal on a bell jar for like $130.00.

Anyone wanna go halves on the Winter Star to lower the cost per bottle for each of us? PM Me.

I don't know Baume du Doge, so I have to skip that one, but from the remaining two I choose Winter Star everytime.

Amazing scent. Totally unique. Must be smelled, because it's too hard to describe.

Don't overspray it, because a couple of tiny dots is enough, and then go out for a walk when it's cold, or even better, really freezing outside. That's the best way to experience it.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I had read that it was heavy on the cinnamon.

Well, I don't pick it up as a note, but it could be. Why, is that a problem?

Mind you, if you live in a warm/moderate climate all year it's probably NOT for you! Just saying...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    The opening notes of Winter Star are just entirely too strong for me--the spicy, penetrating carnation and soapy lavender top is just too intoxicating and rich and I can't get past it. What is interesting, however, is if I spray WS twice to the back of my hand and wash my hand five minutes later, the remaining scent is incredibly smooth and lovely (we're talking an Egoiste-level of accomplishment), and the sillage is still adequate. I would be quite interested in a reformulation of WS that was less intense in the top (perhaps something other than carnation) and that progressed more quickly to the middle and base of the perfume. I think that would be absolutely magical. As it stands now, the top notes are just too much of a blunt instrument to my senses.
    I had the same impression of WS when I first tested it last week - too...much! I smelled aldehydes too (maybe my nose is too sensitive to certain aldehydes?).

However reading the above comments maybe I over applied, or maybe it was too warm when I tested it.

I'll save my sample and retest it when it's cold here. But for now, it clearly wasn't 'love at first sniff.'
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    However reading the above comments maybe I over applied, or maybe it was too warm when I tested it.

I'll save my sample and retest it when it's cold here. But for now, it clearly wasn't 'love at first sniff.'
    This plus the recent "Hot Leather" thread adds to my feeling weather can have a huge effect on a fragrance.

I remember trying Citrus Bigarrade last fall - actually, I believe you may have been the one who recommended it - and thinking "moldy orange and cumin". I retested it this summer and it was a completely different fragrance, much fresher, more interesting and with much better sillage. It's like it needed the warmth to really "bloom" as it were.

Winter Star, on the other hand, is probably not something I'd wear in summer, and considering our summers are like your winters...

Of course, there are tons of other variables too, like amount applied, skin chemistry, and the most important thing - personal taste.

No, this is not a summer frag at all (hence the name I guess) and apart from that, do N O T over spray this stuff! For it's not some 'normal' EDP strength juice as you know it! To me it's almost like liquid perfume oil.

Tip: transfer something to a dropper bottle and let a couple of drops glide along your neck and from your wrists to your inner elbows. That's enough really if you plan to stay indoors.

Love the stuff, that caramel/star anise (although it's not listed as a note!) and musk (amongst others) combination is just gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I had the same impression of WS when I first tested it last week - too...much! I smelled aldehydes too (maybe my nose is too sensitive to certain aldehydes?).

It may be aldehydes, Mike--my nose is sensitive to them in large doses in most cases, as well (cf. Mitsouko). I certainly plan to re-visit WS with a much lighter hand in the near future--my reaction may change. I certainly respect the scent, it's just not right for me at the moment.

Molten Gin

Chergui -- because it is much easier to wear.

Winter Star -- because a single bottle would last many generations to come, since it's soo strong. Oh, and it is ghastly overwhelming in the Bangkok heat. Be warned.
    Last edited by moltening; 27th November 2008 at 03:25 AM.