Code of Conduct

Default Winter Star, Baume du Doge or Chergui

Time to get a bottle and wrap it for Christmas. Since Mr. Storer announced this new run, and since Beautyhabit's sale expires in a few days, I must choose.

Winter Star
    Eau d'Italie Baume du Doge
    or
    Serge Luten's Chergui

I know Chergui lasts and lasts. Medium to more projection, but what about the other two. Paestum Rose had medium projection and lasting power. Never smelled Winter Star and have no idea about the cost.

Help>

Default Re: Winter Star, Baume du Doge or Chergui

Winter Star.

Chergui

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Chergui
    Ditto.

Definitely Chergui. It is magical. I get lots of compliments when I wear it!

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Winter Star.
    Winter Star hands down.

I have Chergui. I love Chergui. Winter Star, however, is unique and runs laps around Chergui in terms of longevity.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 19th November 2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I heard about Winter Star where can I get it?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Winter Star hands down.

I have Chergui. I love Chergui. Winter Star, however, is unique and runs laps around Chergui in terms of longevity.

Yes for Winter Star. Many laps around the other two. I got a sample in last week of Baume du Doge. I sampled it three times and it was just plain weird, but not in a good way. Be carefull Winter Star has room filling sillage and great longevity. Use sparingly to enjoy.

You can get Winter Star from Michael Storer's website. However, I haven't really cared for any of Michael's creations...so, be warned. You can't compare Storer's creations with Sheldrakes!

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    You can get Winter Star from Michael Storer's website. However, I haven't really cared for any of Michael's creations...so, be warned. You can't compare Storer's creations with Sheldrakes!
    Winter Star isn't shown on the website.

Select the 'contact/samples' button, then use the contact form to request information from Michael.

I have asked but don't yet know what the price will be.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Winter Star isn't shown on the website.

Select the 'contact/samples' button, then use the contact form to request information from Michael.

I have asked but don't yet know what the price will be.

thanks for the info!!!!!

Good point about it not being on the website. It was a limited edition...

Does anyone know if it will be in regular release or will it be another one time thing?

I read a linked thread and is this powdery, the Winter Star? Any idea what it was priced last year? I saw some of his scents are like $82 for 2 ounces, so a bit better of a bargain than $105 for 1.7 ounce Cherqui

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Good point about it not being on the website. It was a limited edition...

Does anyone know if it will be in regular release or will it be another one time thing?
    It is my understanding that it will be another limited edition.

I hope that it will become part of Michael Storer's regular lineup but my wife and I are buying backup bottles just in case it is not offered next winter.

Strangely, Michael doesn't like it nearly as well as those of us who bought it last year. This could be a good thing for you, paintrman, as Winter Star does not resemble anything else in his product line. It is a big bold step out of character for Mr. Storer.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I read a linked thread and is this powdery, the Winter Star? Any idea what it was priced last year? I saw some of his scents are like $82 for 2 ounces, so a bit better of a bargain than $105 for 1.7 ounce Cherqui
    From one of my posts last year, 2007:
    "Winter Star is included along with his other fragrances in the 50% off second bottle sale that runs through Christmas day! That's $40.00 for a fragance that's easily worth $80.00. I ordered two bottles of Winter Star (one for my wife and one for me) for $120.00 shipping included!"

Basenotes Institution

Chergui

Although I haven't smelled Baume du Doge yet, but I have a sample at home.

I'm not a fan of Chergui, so I'd go for Winter Star. My sample of Baume au Doge is coming in the mail - I like what I've tried so far from the Eau d'Italie line, so that might change my mind.

I doubt it though. Winter Star is very unique.

I'll also second TwoRoads' comment - it's nothing like rest of the Storer line.

I ordered my bottle this is the first time I ever ordered anything blind just by going reviews here

I am so excited I cannot wait!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I ordered my bottle this is the first time I ever ordered anything blind just by going reviews here

Wat?

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post

let us know what you think, hearing a bout crazy longevity always peaks my interest

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingLotus View Post
    let us know what you think, hearing a bout crazy longevity always peaks my interest

I will i hope it gets here before thanksgiving! lol i cannot wait

My choice would be Chergui even though I love the sample of Winter Star that I have. Chergui is just so rich and complete...

Yet, even I can't wear Chergui all the time! And when I wore Winter star earlier this spring, several people asked what I was wearing and told me that they liked it. I think you can't go wrong with either!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

baume de doge is a ghastly orange frankincense horror

Banned

Yeah I just tested Baume du Doge and my first thought was that it reminded me of Bois d'Orage/French Lover. Take away the cedar in French lover and replace it with frankincense. The orange note in Baume is also much sweeter. I prefer French Lover because it's much more distinct and leans on the masculine side of things. Baume du Doge could easily be worn by a woman with the addition of vanilla. French Lover pour Elle?
    Last edited by teger; 21st November 2008 at 09:27 PM.

I have not smelled those scents in the post above this one.

I will narrow it down to Chergui or Winter Star.

This could be a good thing for you, paintrman, as Winter Star does not resemble anything else in his product line. It is a big bold step out of character for Mr. Storer.
    I second.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Chergui. Gourmand masterpiece.

The opening notes of Winter Star are just entirely too strong for me--the spicy, penetrating carnation and soapy lavender top is just too intoxicating and rich and I can't get past it. What is interesting, however, is if I spray WS twice to the back of my hand and wash my hand five minutes later, the remaining scent is incredibly smooth and lovely (we're talking an Egoiste-level of accomplishment), and the sillage is still adequate. I would be quite interested in a reformulation of WS that was less intense in the top (perhaps something other than carnation) and that progressed more quickly to the middle and base of the perfume. I think that would be absolutely magical. As it stands now, the top notes are just too much of a blunt instrument to my senses.
    Last edited by Circa1905; 21st November 2008 at 10:08 PM.

Anyone wanna go halves on two bottles of Winter Star? I figure it is like $125.00 for two and then an extra $6 to ship and with paypal, that makes like $135? So half would be $67.50 vs. $83? Just a thought, but if someone is ordering one, let me know and maybe they order two? I can paypal the money after they do the order,and then paypal more for shipping

I smelled Baume du Doge last weekend on paper. It is interesting at first, but the drydown is a clean soapy scent, not so distinctive. I think it might be better for warm weather, and may be an interesting alternative to anybody who likes crisp linen scents like Puro Lino.

Chergui.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

If I Counted correctly, Chergui and Winter Star run neck and neck. I think I have a buddy getting me a deal on a bell jar for like $130.00.

Anyone wanna go halves on the Winter Star to lower the cost per bottle for each of us? PM Me.

I don't know Baume du Doge, so I have to skip that one, but from the remaining two I choose Winter Star everytime.

Amazing scent. Totally unique. Must be smelled, because it's too hard to describe.

Don't overspray it, because a couple of tiny dots is enough, and then go out for a walk when it's cold, or even better, really freezing outside. That's the best way to experience it.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I had read that it was heavy on the cinnamon.

Well, I don't pick it up as a note, but it could be. Why, is that a problem?

Mind you, if you live in a warm/moderate climate all year it's probably NOT for you! Just saying...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Circa1905 View Post
    The opening notes of Winter Star are just entirely too strong for me--the spicy, penetrating carnation and soapy lavender top is just too intoxicating and rich and I can't get past it. What is interesting, however, is if I spray WS twice to the back of my hand and wash my hand five minutes later, the remaining scent is incredibly smooth and lovely (we're talking an Egoiste-level of accomplishment), and the sillage is still adequate. I would be quite interested in a reformulation of WS that was less intense in the top (perhaps something other than carnation) and that progressed more quickly to the middle and base of the perfume. I think that would be absolutely magical. As it stands now, the top notes are just too much of a blunt instrument to my senses.
    I had the same impression of WS when I first tested it last week - too...much! I smelled aldehydes too (maybe my nose is too sensitive to certain aldehydes?).

However reading the above comments maybe I over applied, or maybe it was too warm when I tested it.

I'll save my sample and retest it when it's cold here. But for now, it clearly wasn't 'love at first sniff.'
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    However reading the above comments maybe I over applied, or maybe it was too warm when I tested it.

I'll save my sample and retest it when it's cold here. But for now, it clearly wasn't 'love at first sniff.'
    This plus the recent "Hot Leather" thread adds to my feeling weather can have a huge effect on a fragrance.

I remember trying Citrus Bigarrade last fall - actually, I believe you may have been the one who recommended it - and thinking "moldy orange and cumin". I retested it this summer and it was a completely different fragrance, much fresher, more interesting and with much better sillage. It's like it needed the warmth to really "bloom" as it were.

Winter Star, on the other hand, is probably not something I'd wear in summer, and considering our summers are like your winters...

Of course, there are tons of other variables too, like amount applied, skin chemistry, and the most important thing - personal taste.

No, this is not a summer frag at all (hence the name I guess) and apart from that, do N O T over spray this stuff! For it's not some 'normal' EDP strength juice as you know it! To me it's almost like liquid perfume oil.

Tip: transfer something to a dropper bottle and let a couple of drops glide along your neck and from your wrists to your inner elbows. That's enough really if you plan to stay indoors.

Love the stuff, that caramel/star anise (although it's not listed as a note!) and musk (amongst others) combination is just gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I had the same impression of WS when I first tested it last week - too...much! I smelled aldehydes too (maybe my nose is too sensitive to certain aldehydes?).

It may be aldehydes, Mike--my nose is sensitive to them in large doses in most cases, as well (cf. Mitsouko). I certainly plan to re-visit WS with a much lighter hand in the near future--my reaction may change. I certainly respect the scent, it's just not right for me at the moment.

Chergui -- because it is much easier to wear.

Winter Star -- because a single bottle would last many generations to come, since it's soo strong. Oh, and it is ghastly overwhelming in the Bangkok heat. Be warned.
    Last edited by moltening; 27th November 2008 at 03:25 AM.