Code of Conduct

Thread: Perfume Organ

Default Perfume Organ

Hi,
    This is my first post here. I just retired my old perfume organ which was past being on it's last legs.
    I had this new on made and am finding inspiration from just looking at the wood! It is made from solid mahogany with ebony shelves and holds about 200 bottles.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3259936...35764/sizes/l/

I am wondering if people think that there might be a market for these?
    We also discussed making them in plainer wood and giving them either a flat/satin Black or White ( or an color that people wanted, for that matter!)

Do

Regards to all,
    Gordon

Default Re: Perfume Organ

Gordon, welcome!

This is phenomenal! Thank you for sharing that picture.

I think there is definitely a market amongst the fragrance DIY'ers. I am currently undertaking a course of study in natural botanical perfumery, and would love an organ like this. Unfortunately though, I am living abroad and shipping such an item would prove costly.
    Im sure there will be some interest though, from our US members.

Thank you for the compliment!

I have been a "lurker" at this website for quite a while and finally joined a couple of months ago.
    I'm afraid that they would be rather expensive to ship overseas as this one is quite heavy. I'm not sure at this point if we're even going to build them .... I'm just trying to get an idea if there is enough of a market to build a couple dozen of them.
    Here's another view:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3259936...60332/sizes/l/

P.S. I keep only Naturals on this organ, my synthetics are on shelves below as I have found that many customers are apprehensive of the chemical type names of synthetics. "Dihydro-what's this-stuff-7" just just seem like a very sexy name compared to Bulgarian Rose or Ambergris :-)

Beautiful ! I would be scared to damage the wood I think but it's really nice.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Beautiful ! I would be scared to damage the wood I think but it's really nice.
    mine is an 18th century with a flip down desk to work on, I spill stuff all over it all the time gives it character hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoture View Post
    Hi,
    This is my first post here. I just retired my old perfume organ which was past being on it's last legs.
    I had this new on made and am finding inspiration from just looking at the wood! It is made from solid mahogany with ebony shelves and holds about 200 bottles.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3259936...35764/sizes/l/

I am wondering if people think that there might be a market for these?
    We also discussed making them in plainer wood and giving them either a flat/satin Black or White ( or an color that people wanted, for that matter!)

Do

Regards to all,
    Gordon
    I Love it a lot! How much would this cost?

Hi RuRu,

Good question RE cost...
    It depends on a couple of things: How many we're going to make, and what materials we use to make them.
    My guess is that doing ultra-deluxe models like the one that I had made for me with exotic woods etc. would be in the neighborhood of $750-900.
    The same thing in plain cabinet grade laminated wood, painted would probably be in the $300-400 range... In some ways a better idea as we could use a finish that is much less intensive labor wise.

Again, I'm trying to gauge how much interest there may or may not be...
    The more of them we could make, the more we could streamline & cut production costs.

By the way.... I love, love, LOVE Galway!!!!!!
    I spent a number of years playing guitar, banjo & mandolin in Arlo Guthrie's band...we played a couple nights at the Roisin Dubh two years ago ....It almost made me weep when it came time to leave your fair city. I bought a nice sweater there...I love to smell it's natural wool and be reminded of Galway.

Warm reagrds,
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoture View Post
    Hi RuRu,

Good question RE cost...
    It depends on a couple of things: How many we're going to make, and what materials we use to make them.
    My guess is that doing ultra-deluxe models like the one that I had made for me with exotic woods etc. would be in the neighborhood of $750-900.
    The same thing in plain cabinet grade laminated wood, painted would probably be in the $300-400 range... In some ways a better idea as we could use a finish that is much less intensive labor wise.

Again, I'm trying to gauge how much interest there may or may not be...
    The more of them we could make, the more we could streamline & cut production costs.

By the way.... I love, love, LOVE Galway!!!!!!
    I spent a number of years playing guitar, banjo & mandolin in Arlo Guthrie's band...we played a couple nights at the Roisin Dubh two years ago ....It almost made me weep when it came time to leave your fair city. I bought a nice sweater there...I love to smell it's natural wool and be reminded of Galway.

Warm reagrds,
    Gordon
    Hi Gordon, gee, I would definitely go for one of those. The deluxe model of course! For the work that is gone into it it would be worth it at twice the price. I wonder if the shipping would be the killer?
    If you are ever coming over here again...
    The Roisin Dubh! haha! That's only a couple of blocks from us! I can't believe it. I was there myself not so long ago.
    Ruth

Hi that organ is the best, can i buy one?
    Nancy

That's beautiful. I don't think all of my bottles would fit on one that size. LOL! I've been thinking of getting some sort of shelf arrangement, though. Ideally, in my part of the country it should be earthquake-safe, with raised edges or some sort of restraining bar on the front of each shelf. Little seat belts for the bottles.

That is REALLY beautiful. Wish there was something like this in Australia. I may have to convince my husband to make me a Profumo one, though. I would spend a lot more time creating if my bottles were in order, its so frustrating at the moment!

Wow Ecoture... that work is drop dead gorgeous! I certainly would like one (in more pedestrian woods your $300-400 range sounds quite reasonable for it, honestly), if I EVER get my butt in gear with the perfume-making-urge. I hope you stick around here on BN 'til I do!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I have been googling images for perfume organs..came across a image of Isabelle Doyen of Annick Goutal surrounded by fragrances. What a life! : )
    Am wearing Passion today, so the article in Perfume Shrine is a good read! http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...lle-doyen.html
    Last edited by melodyjayne; 29th June 2011 at 05:06 AM.

I made a perfume organ that is light and portable.

It folds up like this:

I would not want to make these for anyone but someone else might. This one is based on instructions given here: http://www.profumo.it/aromaterapia/C...umer_organ.asp The great thing about such a perfumer's organ is that it is light and convenient so you can take it nearly anywhere, or you can simply keep it set up in your workspace. I used very light woods such as alder and spruce and metals such as aluminum. This one can carry 64 little 10 or 15ml bottles and still has space for funnels and vials.
    Last edited by bshell; 29th June 2011 at 11:00 PM.

You did a great job of that, Bshell!
    I spy perfume books : )
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][COLOR="#9932cc"]''Wear perfume wherever you want to be kissed''[/COLOR][COLOR="#9932cc"] Coco Chanel[/COLOR]

Hello Gordon

Thank you for starting a very interesting - and helpful - thread.

I spy with my little eye a whole raft of lovely bottles with ground glass stoppers. Can you please tell us where you bought these little beauties?

Thanks in advance.

All the best.

Warmest regards
    Bill

Hi Bill,

You just caught me,...I don't check in here at BN very often.

I bought those bottles several years ago from a perfumer that was retiring. I have since taken to using Wheaton style serum vials or plain, brown Boston bottles, typically in the 15mL or 30mL size.

I'm not sure, but New Directions aromatics MAY have some bottles W/ ground glass stoppers. I tried to buy a few dozen from them 3-4 yrs. ago for a project and they were temporarily out of stock so I ended up using something else.

Incidentally....that photo is a "mug shot" or glamor photo... in daily life it has many more things on the workspace ( scale, calculator pads, books pens etc... all stuff that qualifies as not too photogenic.... and actually only it holds about 20% of my materials... the bulk of which either live in the fridge or on very plain racks. Point being that it is wonderful for display purposes and certainly hold most of the materials that I tend to use frequently... so it's a nice place to work.

Best,
    Gordon

Fantastic! I'm very, very envious. . .
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Thanks for the kind words everyone but as you can see... when it's not "gussied up" for a glamor photo, it's a fairly cramped work space! It only holds about half of my stuff (albeit things that I tend to use most frequently) with the exception of those things that routinely live in a small refrigerator.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/CIMG7743.jpg

Absolutely stunning! How I would love to spend some time sniffing there.

Do you find the wood maintains any odour itself?
    Australian Blog on Fine Fragrance ---> http://savourandscent.tumblr.com/

Winemaker/Perfumer for Emerald Vintners ---> www.emeraldvintners.com.au

Sorry so stupid but I didn't know what to expect when I clicked on this post.
    - Expect the unexpected

@ Bcarter: The wood probably retain a bit of odor, however I am maniacal about keeping my weighing scale on a small, footed, round stone base, so in theory...no fragrance materials ever actually touche the organ except in sealed containers. The organ is also finished so there is no real issue with the wood's porosity etc. and at this point, the finish has virtually no odor that could be detected without using a gas chromatagraph :-)

Default Re: Portable Perfumer´s Organ - available in e-shop

Hello,
    now you can buy the portable perfume organ on this webpage, http://www.monessence.com/perfumerys...umery-supplies or let it custom made there. The price is 189,99 EUR including free shipping to EU.

Hi Gordon
    I just love the picture and would definately buy one ...im sure there is a market out there.
    Regards Ann

Hi Gordon
    Wow ...I want one! where do you get those lovely bottles from if I may ask.
    Ann

This weekend I built a new perfume organ. I am super excited to finish loading it up. I think this should still allow for some expansion.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Good to me

That's awesome! Is it a side-arm flask the one I see up there? Do you use it for vacuum filtration?
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

Yes sir, it's a vacuum filter.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Hello,
    I am very interested in one of those.... Can you make contact with me so we can discuss this?
    Thank you very much and it looks great!!!
    Fabio Luisi
    fabioluisi@mac.com
    www.fabioluisi.net

Anyone still selling organs? I'm interested in buying one.