Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SA greedy with samples

Do you guys/gals receive samples easily? I feel that I have to ask to get a sample. Then if I want another I have to ask again. I always want to try them first before I buy so samples help me a lot. I think that if a SA sees you checking out a fragrance they should offer a sample.

Don't department stores receive samples for free? I bet you they aren't greedy about bring them home for their spouses.

smeller

Default Re: SA greedy with samples

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    Do you guys/gals receive samples easily? I feel that I have to ask to get a sample. Then if I want another I have to ask again. I always want to try them first before I buy so samples help me a lot. I think that if a SA sees you checking out a fragrance they should offer a sample.

Don't department stores receive samples for free? I bet you they aren't greedy about bring them home for their spouses.
    Here in Brazil they don't even give you samples.

Man that blows. I have purchased many scents after I sampled them. I also have not purchased many many scents because I didn't like them or they didn't last.

smeller

Well, here I can get a spray from a tester in a store (luckily on skin, mostly on card), but I never got a vial except from online sellers.

Here they dont give samples. (Generally)

Last week I asked for Guerlain Homme....the cute SA of Guerlain gave me 3 samples.

Why? Because I asked directly for Guerlain Homme. She said she will sell it 1 week more....Only promotion.

I was so happy that day!
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here in The Netherlands you always get 2 or 3 samples when you buy a frag.
    Yesterday I got Comme Des Garcons (original), Ed Hardy Men, Guerlain Homme.
    Once I bought 1million from Paco Rabanne, and received a sample of Lolita Au masculin. I went back after testing Lolita and swapped the 1million for Lolita.
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I've given this opinion in another post. It is highly probable certain SAs who are stingy with samples are saving them to give to their friends (or to themselves) for personal use or for later sale on the internet--which is loaded with offers for sales of manufacturer provided 'free' samples..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Maybe if I keep repeating this, it might catch on...

Samples are an ENTICEMENT to buy, NOT A REWARD!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

When I used to sell fragrances, out of 10 new launches, maybe three would be sent with promotional samples. We literally had to phone up and beg the companies to send them. Even then you'd only get a box of 20 or something.

And once that 20 was gone, getting even more was even harder.

Most of the time, we had about samples of about 5-10% of our stock

Isn´t it smart to expose people who already spend money of fragrance to different perfumes? Hoping they will spend more?

I can understand SA if they don´t want to give samples to people who ask for them but never seem to buy anything, if you buy a bottle though you show that you do buy perfumes so it makes sense to me to give those people samples of other perfumes.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

When working in fragrances, I would give samples to customers who were genuinely interested in the scent in question, and whom I had determined were not "serial sample-collectors". You'll be surprised at HOW MANY HARD-LUCK PLEASE-GIVE-ME-A-SAMPLE-TO-CHEER-UP-MY-DYING-CAT/BROTHER/MILKMAN STORIES we will hear in a day's work, but after a time, one tends to develop a sixth sense about whether people are being genuine or not.

The bottom line, is that samples are an expensive commodity, and as scentronic mentioned - are used as sales tools, not rewards.

Here in the U.S. I find department store SA's are often stingy with samples - even when you make a purchase - or they claim not to have any. Maybe they truly don't. The exception is Nordstrom, whose SA's are great about samples. If they don't have a carded sample they will decant one for you. They keep the 1 ml glass vials there for that purpose. Same at my local Sephora, they will decant a sample for you if you ask them nicely. I find it varies by location, though. In New York, getting samples from SA's was like pulling teeth. When I was in Florida last summer staying with my mother who'd had an accident, I went shopping for cosmetics for her at a department store, Bloomingdales I think it was. I asked them if I could have some perfume samples to cheer my mother up because she was in physical rehab (quite shameless I was! ), and they couldn't have been nicer. The SA went up to another floor to get a free gift with purchase that didn't start until the next day, plus an assortment of perfume samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    When working in fragrances, I would give samples to customers who were genuinely interested in the scent in question, and whom I had determined were not "serial sample-collectors". You'll be surprised at HOW MANY HARD-LUCK PLEASE-GIVE-ME-A-SAMPLE-TO-CHEER-UP-MY-DYING-CAT/BROTHER/MILKMAN STORIES we will hear in a day's work, but after a time, one tends to develop a sixth sense about whether people are being genuine or not.

The bottom line, is that samples are an expensive commodity, and as scentronic mentioned - are used as sales tools, not rewards.
    So, funny...we were posting at the same time. My SA believed my hard luck story. It really was true. Or perhaps he didn't think I was the type who wore the $150 jar of cream I was buying for my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    So, funny...we were posting at the same time. My SA believed my hard luck story. It really was true. Or perhaps he didn't think I was the type who wore the $150 jar of cream I was buying for my mother.
    Haha... well, its true that some of these stories hold some truth, but it becomes pretty to clear after a while, who is telling the truth and who is simply scavenging!

india, they let you test any fragrance you wish but no policy of free samples unless ofcourse if you buy a scent. if one is makign a purchase then they load em up with some minis and samples. a lot also depends on how many purchases you make from that counter and the kind of rapport you build with them over years...

im so tempted to have Jrd4t to place a order on my behalf at Barneys...the way those guys load him up is juts insane.....the reason coudl also be coz he purchases really high end stuff from them...

also, as Dimi did mention...samples must be an expensive commodity...imagine 100's flockign by and taking free samples...thts like giving away 2 full bottles for free...
    Last edited by jenson; 20th November 2008 at 04:18 PM.

Here in the U.S. I find department store SA's are often stingy with samples - even when you make a purchase - or they claim not to have any. Maybe they truly don't.
    I have the same problem here in SF. I find it hard to believe that places like Needless Markup and Barney's don't have samples. But walk into either place with a fresh (and full) Louboutin shopping bag and they are all over you

Now, that said, I love the SAs at the Barney's in SF - especially the gentleman at the Malle section (he seems to have a small fan club on BN) but had he sent me home with a sample of D'Hiver, I'd have been back in 2 days to buy it.

The exception is Nordstrom, whose SA's are great about samples. If they don't have a carded sample they will decant one for you. They keep the 1 ml glass vials there for that purpose. Same at my local Sephora, they will decant a sample for you if you ask them nicely.
    That has been my experience with both establishments as well. Don't have it, they make a decant for me. Unfortuneately, neither Nordies or Sephora carry niche brands or I'd be giving them all my fragrance business.
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thérèse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amère, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

Why can't more department stores adopt a Sephora-like policy i.e. 3 free samples/visit and if they don't have any carded samples they will decant one for you? This should be standard in the industry. Chandler Burr asks,"Would you buys a pair of jeans without trying them on? So why would you buy fragrance without trying it on?" Stores that are stingy with the samples don't get my business. Macys, Neiman, CO Bigelow & Bloomingdales come immediately to mind.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Here in south Florida, for the most part I have no issues getting samples. I just ask nicely and 9 times out of 10 they oblige( Macys, bloomies, Neimans and Saks.) I try to dress a little nicer when going to the fragrance counter especially when I know I'm not going to buy anything. Unfortunately most SA's do judge other people by appearances.

I do have to agree Nordstroms SA are the best usually. They are always very nice and will make a decant on the spot for you. i agree with renngrrl, It really is a shame that they don't carry niche lines or I would buy all my scents from them.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I've given this opinion in another post. It is highly probable certain SAs who are stingy with samples are saving them to give to their friends (or to themselves) for personal use or for later sale on the internet--which is loaded with offers for sales of manufacturer provided 'free' samples..
    Interesting. I have always suspected this, as I do use eBay quite often ( especially for fragrances). And I wonder, why do these individuals have so many of a certain label ? Just does not make sense. Now some perhaps are not "taking" them from work, but I am sure a lot are.

I just indulged in a heavy amount of samples on eBay and it came with a big price, at least for something that is supposedly not for sale. The seller does not come across as amateurish and has a solid reputation so I was OK with spending the money. Not an outrageous price however, as I would not want to support any buyer who is "ripping" me off. But none of the vials would have been found in shops in my city ( some discontinued, others hard to find). And unfortunately, there is no Sephora in Canada. Buying sample vials gives me a chance to carefully choose and determine whether a scent will work for me.

Back to the main point, I do not expect SA's to just hand out samples. That is unreasonable. Too many people would just take advantage of this. It would be nice if I could just drop $2 or $3 for a sample vial and that way the companies would not have to worry about the amount they are giving away as samples. When I buy a bottle, I usually get several samples. Depends on who the SA is , of course.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    When I used to sell fragrances, out of 10 new launches, maybe three would be sent with promotional samples. We literally had to phone up and beg the companies to send them. Even then you'd only get a box of 20 or something.

Now that would be a great communication from the SA to the soon-to-be-disgruntled potential customer. I have yet to hear anything like that from an SA when no samples were forthcoming.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

In two years I have bought two bottles of Edt over the counter at retail outlets in a total of 8 visits. The visits all took place in 2006.Both sales were decided from samples given at that particular visit. I have asked for samples each of the other 6 visits without receiving any ("out of samples", "the supplier doesn't supply samples", "store policy is to only give a sample with each purchase", etc. from 6 different SAs at 3 different retail stores. As a result those experiences helped in my decision to buy a total of over a hundred and sixty bottles from online stores and Basenoters instead. Would I have bought all these at those retail brick and mortar stores? Nope, but more than likely I would have bought a large percentage of them there.

Not nearly in the same league with Julia Roberts' character going back in the store with the snooty SA who snubed her in Pretty Woman but definitely along the same lines:

"Shop assistant: Hello, can I help you?
    Vivian: I was in here yesterday, you wouldn't wait on me.
    Shop assistant: Oh.
    Vivian: You people work on commission, right?
    Shop assistant: Yeah.
    Vivian: Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now. "
    Last edited by kbe; 20th November 2008 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Haha... well, its true that some of these stories hold some truth, but it becomes pretty to clear after a while, who is telling the truth and who is simply scavenging!
    Guilty as charged, I'm afraid. I used to go into stores and ask for samples "to give to my sister whose birthday is coming up". Nowadays, I just explain I want to know about a frag's development on the skin before committing to a bottle. 'Course, the only place where they really know my face now is also the only place where I've bought two large bottles at full retail price, so I guess it evens out.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

I work fragrance retail... I second how difficult it is to get samples out of the companies. While our head office tries to lean on the companies to get samples, and we are constantly ringing up the reps and badgering them, we rarely get anything whatsoever.
    It's even worse now with the new launches, in the last 6 months, we've had roughly 20 new launches, and I think we've had samples for 5 - and not many!!
    I might make the suggestion to our head office that we begin to offer a sampling service described by some of the people here, decanting into vials.
    I don't like the notion that 'greedy SAs' take them home to sell them. I get my samples when I purchase elsewhere. I'd be sacked if I was taking home samples.

i find it depends here in NY:

Sephora and Aedes is the easiest place to get samples and so friendly!!!!

SAKS Creed counter forget about it...but Bergdorf I have

Bond stores sometimes...depends who is there, some have been really stingy when I have been genuine interested in the fragrance, but I am not about to buy a fragrance in 5 seconds unless I have a full wearing and they are so pushy to make a sale

Barneys never gives me any samples, claims to not have any not sure if true or now, and I am really interested in the Frederic Malle line, so I keep going back to try each one

Never got any samples from anyone at SAKS except Penhaglins

Tom Ford at Bergdorf was very generous and made up 4 ml samples of about 6 different ones I was interested in right there on the spot

I think it really depends on the SA, the store, your attitude, genuine interest
    Last edited by denec; 21st November 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Maybe if I keep repeating this, it might catch on...

Samples are an ENTICEMENT to buy, NOT A REWARD!
    Frequent policy however seems to be the opposite: you buy a fragrance, we reward you with samples. You are possibly interested in fragrances - smell 'em at the store. I always make a point to SA's that it is impossible to judge a perfume by a quick spray-on. If I'm shelling out $100 I want two full wearings, to be sure. Wouldn't buy a car without test-driving. In that respect, I cannot understand fragrance companies keeping samples in short supply - it's promo, who cares if 20% of samples are picked up by scavengers. Considering the profit margins in the industry that peanuts. And what is more sensible than giving as many people as possible an opportunity to thoroughly get acquainted with what you as a seller believe to be a quality product better than the competition's? (ay, there's the rub, perhaps . I greatly appreciate the service at Parfümerie Albrecht in Frankfurt - the best "little" perfumery in the world - where they will fill a sample vial for you of pretty much anything (well, I haven't asked for Invasion Barbare yet and admittedly I've boufht expensive stuff there before). I actually got the same treatment at a German drugstore chain - Müller - which has a large perfume department. They filled some Jaipur Fraicheur for me just like that. While I didn't buy it ultimately I make a point of getting other stuff there now, because that kind of service deserves to be recognized.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    While I didn't buy it ultimately I make a point of getting other stuff there now, because that kind of service deserves to be recognized.
    right. Speaking with the wallet. But...I doubt if those in upper management in those stores, in whose stores SAs are probably acting on their own in not giving out samples to folks like you, are aware. They are the ones who might really care that possible sales are being thwarted by arbitrary and sales-killing withholding of samples by SAs.

As for me, I have given up buying fragrances in stores. I only drop in on occasion to see what tester is available for some frag I want to try. I never buy fragrances over the counter any more, that way I don't have to duel with SAs over their giving out samples to try first. I just pay to have any samples I want sent to me from one of the eTailers.

Whoops-- I did buy a $29 large M; Men from a local Sephora last year on a Basenoter's post about the price at Sephora. I never asked for samples or interacted with an SA, just walked in and right over to the bottle and took it immediately to the cashier. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.
    Last edited by kbe; 21st November 2008 at 09:17 PM.

Leave a tester out and I am happy. Most samples I have received at dep. stores are of fragrances I did not like anyway. I rather be at a perfumania where they let me smell anything than at a store where they will give me samples of phat-farm, unforgivable, everest, Nautica competition (I have like 10 of them in my drawer), Aqua di Gio, L'eau D'Issey (as If I did not know what they smell like), RLs, etc. I have never seen a sample of YSL, Guerlain, or Chanel.
    As far as I am concerned, it would be better if I had to pay for the samples I choose than to expect getting freebies of random stuff. That is why Sephora, Aedes, Luckyscent and BAsenoteres selling their EDTs are at another level. Scent Monkey is also great, though their samples are a bit too expensive (flat $3 charge).
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Leave a tester out and I am happy. Most samples I have received at dep. stores are of fragrances I did not like anyway. I rather be at a perfumania where they let me smell anything than at a store where they will give me samples of phat-farm, unforgivable, everest, Nautica competition (I have like 10 of them in my drawer), Aqua di Gio, L'eau D'Issey (as If I did not know what they smell like), RLs, etc. I have never seen a sample of YSL, Guerlain, or Chanel.
    As far as I am concerned, it would be better if I had to pay for the samples I choose than to expect getting freebies of random stuff. That is why Sephora, Aedes, Luckyscent and BAsenoteres selling their EDTs are at another level. Scent Monkey is also great, though their samples are a bit too expensive (flat $3 charge).
    I usually visit local stores to first smell frags on cardboard. Then, if I'm still interested, I may ask for a sample - although I may not always get one. If not, I don't mind "going" to a seller of samples and pay a small fee to get what I want to test. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee at local perfume counters if they were willing to sell me specific samples.

My local Sephora store has been stingy with frag samples, yet they tend to offer me tons of cosmetic samples.... of which very few ever interest me or work for me.
    I am NOT my hair, I am NOT my skin ; I AM the soul that lives within!

I get free samples from department store SA's by talking to them for ten minutes about fragrances. Seems like they are learning from me!

And, of course, I make purchases once in a while. I'm the kind of guy that when I need to stop to use the restroom while driving, I'll buy a drink at the fast food place I went into.

Yes, I've had SAs at a certain store tell me they don't have samples even though another SA gives them freely. At the department stores I'm lucky to get any samples. One perfume shop even sells samples despite the samples having "sample, not for sale" on them!

Then again, I'm an Avon rep where they encourage us to give out samples. However, they expect us to buy the samples and then give them away for free! Grrrr!

I believe more SA are taking them and giving them to friends, family, and spouses than I used to. Especially if I buy something they should say hey here are 3 samples of other fragrances you may be interested in. Barneys did give me several without asking when I purchased Musc Ravegeur. Nordstrom is usually pretty good. I know they can make their own if they don't have any but I have gotten SA saying that they do not have any of the fragrance.

Good to know that Sephora is generous with samples. I may ask for some when I'm there. Their selection isn't that great compared to Nordstrom's. One time at Nordstrom's I was asked if I wanted to try some samples. On top of the samples that I chose I also got plenty more that I did not ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Good to know that Sephora is generous with samples. I may ask for some when I'm there. Their selection isn't that great compared to Nordstrom's. One time at Nordstrom's I was asked if I wanted to try some samples. On top of the samples that I chose I also got plenty more that I did not ask for.

Sephora actually makes them on the spot for me on any fragrance I am interested unless they have them pre made by the manufacturer.

So usually say I am interested in Angel Men, if they had it from manufacturer they will look in the drawer if they have them they will give me a few if not they will take the test bottle and an emtpy atomizer and make one up right for me and will then ask me any others you will like to sample? They are usually very helpful

My experience (Chicago stores - Michigan Ave and State St.)

Sephora is great - If they don't have a manufacturer's sample they will make one for you on the spot

Nordstroms - Will make a sample for you if you ask. They also have testers for almost everything and leave them out for you to try.

Macy's - Too many SA's and no samples.

Neiman's - samples for those who buy a lot - spend money there and they load you up

Saks - only samples I have ever received was when they had a Penahligon's boutique (since gone)

Bloomingdale's - very few samples. After a long talk with an SA I like, she said they just don't receive them like they use to and now save them for special events where they make "goodie bags" for gifts with purchase promotions.

Like others have said, they are really removing the incentive for purchasing in store. I'll try a tester, try to get a sample on line and purchase on the internet for cheaper. It's no wonder that the fragrance sections are getting smaller and smaller at the large department stores.
    Last edited by dmarino67; 22nd November 2008 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    i find it depends here in NY:

Sephora and Aedes is the easiest place to get samples and so friendly!!!!

SAKS Creed counter forget about it...but Bergdorf I have

Bond stores sometimes...depends who is there, some have been really stingy when I have been genuine interested in the fragrance, but I am not about to buy a fragrance in 5 seconds unless I have a full wearing and they are so pushy to make a sale

Barneys never gives me any samples, claims to not have any not sure if true or now, and I am really interested in the Frederic Malle line, so I keep going back to try each one

Never got any samples from anyone at SAKS except Penhaglins

Tom Ford at Bergdorf was very generous and made up 4 ml samples of about 6 different ones I was interested in right there on the spot

I think it really depends on the SA, the store, your attitude, genuine interest
    I bought a bottle of Cruel Intentions at Saks. Kilian Hennessy was there and asked the manager to give me a sample of Straight to Heaven. She said she did not have any samples and he seemed embarrassed about it. They took my information to send me samples and hope I will get them. This was a week ago on Friday. I could not believe they did not have samples or make me one right there on the spot, since I was buying a bottle.

The SAs at Barney's in Beverly Hills have been nice about samples, especially the Serge Lutens and Malle SAs. The Bond #9 SAs at Saks are horrible, never give samples. They expect one to buy based on a card.

It really is a lot of money to make a mistake. They should understand that sampling at the store is not that great, since most people sample several perfumes at a time.

It makes me angry that stores are so stingy with their samples. Sure they have a whole tray of fragrances you can sample in the store, but with all the fragrance overload in the air, it can be hard to fully appreciate the scent you're trying on when it's fighting with 100's of others--not only in bottles, but on customers walking by, and the air freshener that they blast out in certain departments to drive sales up. You should be entitled to take a teensy little vial home to sample at your leisure without having to resort to bloodhound tactics to determine what your fragrance really smells like.

It didn't used to be like that in the old days. I think when designer perfumes became so hot (and expensive) in the late 80's/early '90's that's when they put the kibosh on free samples. It was not uncommon to see a basket of free samples sitting on a counter. Now they're guarded like Ft. Knox. They would also throw a fist full of them in your sack if you purchased something and you didn't even have to ask for them. Now if you buy something and ask for them they act like they need to check to see if they even have any samples.

I have a feeling that a lot of samples are ending up on E-bay. After all, where do all those testers and samples come from? I guess I can't blame the SA for wanting to make some extra money.
    Saks can usually be ok if you are buying something, although I usually hear that they "are all out" etc. So I am done buying there - I used to drop some serious cash on fragrances. It irks me that one can't have a few samples. After all, I will go back and buy something I like once I have tried it out.. But geesh, the SA act like you are asking for the world if you request a sample. I have even heard them complain about people wanting them?? Therefore, I now buy on-line or buy a sample. I also still go to Nordstrom where they are much more generous with the samples, esp. if you are already buying or have purchased there before. Don't even get me started about Macy's - worthless.
    Dillards - depends on the SA. I had one younger gal admit to me that the other SA hound the samples for themselves and their friends.
    With the price the one is charged today, I feel like the least a store can do is be a little generous with samples. From what I hear here, a lot of you feel the same way I do. That is why I have been buying less and less at the stores. Now I use e-bay, luckyscent and others to test out fragrances. Maybe the stores will get the point. we'll see. But I sure have bought many of the samples after I tried them so the stores are losing out in a big way. I hope they read these blogs. I don't go to Spehora often as they don't carry many niche brands but next time I can, I will stop in.

I do one of 2 things:

1) I make myself completely obnoxious to any SA who won't cough up some samples. This will work if there are other customers there. They'll give 'em to you just to get you to leave. hahahahaha
    2)I will buy a couple hundred bucks worth of stuff, get a TON of samples by asking for the moon, and then return them 1/2 hr later.

I'm a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDD boy !!
    ISO-WTB
    Sample or Partial
    Teo Cabanel-Alahine
    Bois D'Armenie
    Mark Buxton-Wood & Absinthe

My sales thread:

--Bruce Lee
    Jeet Kune Do -"Way of the intercepting fist"

My store- www.AtoZknives.com
    (Knives, sporting & Tactical products GALORE !!)
    Low price LEADER- FAST ship too!

Even when I purchase a fragrance the stores are stingy. Even at Nordstrom I felt like I had to beg to get a few samples. He threw in some samples of stuff I didn't want and then said he didn't have any of the ones I did want. I have gotten samples made for me there like they do at Nordstrom but I guess people are lazy.

I take Grant and gblue's advice about the availability of samples to retailers. I have to say that getting a little vial to take home is a rare treat here.

Both of those things considered, why don't the retailers (specifically department stores) cease and desist on the attack squad of shop assistants with testers and cards who bail up anyone walking through (for surely no sales return?) and instead work with perfumers / distributors to increase the availability of samples to genuine shoppers ?

The look - a mixture of disdain and disbelief - one receives in return for the question "do you have a sample I could take home?" is thoroughly heart breaking.

In my experience, Nordstrom and Macy's have been good about samples. Saks and Neimans have been AMAZING!! I always get the samples that I ask for and I also ALWAYS get samples of other frags that they think I may like. I was at Neimans this past weekend and purchased only one fragrance and was given some really wonderful samples of each of the new Lagerfeld frags, Faerie, Prada body lotion, Coco, Amber Ylang Ylang and a very nice Marc Jacobs candle. but in all honesty, there are only two ladies that I go to consistently and they are aware of my shopping habits. they know that if they give me something that I love I will definitely come back to purchase a full bottle. Same situation for Saks. But that's how it should be. Like someone said earlier in this thread, samples are an enticement.

I have the same problem and posted about three years ago under my first nickname, Ailric.
    I now order from the internet and save so much that I don't care anymore.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=sample

I don't spend a lot of time at fragrance stores or counters, but it seems to me that the management of these places is bending over backward to get everything wrong. Untrained SA's who hound you; being treated like a bum for asking for a sample; bright lights/loud music; lousy product and, of course, full retail pricing. (I know there must be knowledgeable SA's somewhere, I just haven't found one yet. It makes sense that the fragrance companies would want to use naive people; they probably find it easier to push whatever's on the list that week as opposed to discussing scent intelligently.)

I will gladly pay the shipping for the privilege of choosing fragrance after receiving samples from a decant seller, a generous store like Aedes or via swap. The price break you get online generally makes up that difference anyway.

And I often wonder where all those samples and testers on E-bay come from. Maybe they never get to the retailers, but are diverted somewhere up the food chain.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Exactly. I bet a lot of SA take samples and sell them or give to family/spouses.

Blog Entries

i have never had any trouble getting samples....and the SAs are generally always super nice, especially when they're women.

Quote Originally Posted by oolala30 View Post
    In my experience, Nordstrom and Macy's have been good about samples. Saks and Neimans have been AMAZING!! I always get the samples that I ask for and I also ALWAYS get samples of other frags that they think I may like. I was at Neimans this past weekend and purchased only one fragrance and was given some really wonderful samples of each of the new Lagerfeld frags, Faerie, Prada body lotion, Coco, Amber Ylang Ylang and a very nice Marc Jacobs candle. but in all honesty, there are only two ladies that I go to consistently and they are aware of my shopping habits. they know that if they give me something that I love I will definitely come back to purchase a full bottle. Same situation for Saks. But that's how it should be. Like someone said earlier in this thread, samples are an enticement.
    I agree with you for the most part. A few weeks ago I bought a by Killian at Saks. They told me they did not have any samples of Straight to Heaven, they did not volunteer to make me a sample, or give me other samples, but they ask for my address to send samples. It has been over a month and no samples. I will not buy anything again at that particular Saks.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I agree with you for the most part. A few weeks ago I bought a by Killian at Saks. They told me they did not have any samples of Straight to Heaven, they did not volunteer to make me a sample, or give me other samples, but they ask for my address to send samples. It has been over a month and no samples. I will not buy anything again at that particular Saks.
    I definitely can relate to what you are saying. I am sure that my experiences at both Saks and Neimans would be very different if I had not attached myself to certain SAs. The ones that help me know that I am not going to anyone else at their store but them for fragrances. I am sure that that is the only reason why they are so amazing and so accommodating. Also, the reason that I chose these particular SAs is because I found them to be the most knowledgeable. They really know their stuff. Whereas before my relationship with them I'd gone to other SAs, but when it became apparent that the 'others' didnt know very much about the products they were selling I started avoiding them when I went to shop and sought out the ladies that had shown me how knowledgeable they were. I sometimes get to talk 'shop' with my fav SAs and I am learning so much from them.

I'm in the fragrance department for a well-known, luxury brand. While I'm not an expert, here are my two cents:

Yes, companies are stingy about giving out samples. But let's think about why... Companies know that samples are necessary to help sell their products. However, sometimes these samples actually cost more than you would think - even vial-on-cards can cost up to $2-3 a piece given the paper stock used, design, etc. Companies would rather maintain the integrity of the brand than create cheaper samples just to appease the customers. Yes, the customer is absolutely the person companies want to please, but at what cost? I know of an iconic brand whose samples cost $8 to produce... $8 for ONE tiny sample! So what's the point of creating these expensive samples, if you're not even going to hand them out? Well, it's for customers who are really interested in buying, not just your average customer who stops by and immediately asks for a sample. Companies want to target customers who are really engaged in the brand and take the time to learn about the fragrance. Next time you visit a counter, ask about the different notes, really inquire about the fragrance, and show a deeper interest... hopefully you'll get a better outcome otherwise.

I agree with the comment above that samples are enticement, not a reward. While SAs give samples with a purchase, it is meant to open the customer up to other scents that the store offers. I don't see it as a reward, but rather a great marketing tool. The customer just bought a fragrance, what does he/she need with samples? If the customer tries the sample, they may be enticed to purchase that fragrance after the current bottle is done. Or they can give it to friends/family to try. Either way, the company knows that the person is invested in the purchased fragrance (both monetarily and emotionally), so giving samples is a minimal cost.

If you go to a counter, spend time learning about the fragrance, and later find out that they don't have any samples... please don't get discouraged! The SA may really be out of samples or not have in stock at all. Instead, spray the fragrance on yourself. While you may not be able to smell it right away with conflicting scents nearby, you will be notice the scent as the day goes on (when you're driving your car, while you're at home, etc. - any place where there are no other competing fragrances being sprayed). It's also a better way to see how the fragrance develops on your skin. If you're already wearing a fragrance when you approach the counter, try spraying it on the inside lining of your jacket or coat (natual fibers like cotton and wool best retain the scent). That way you don't have to compromise the fragrance you are currently wearing.

Again, I'm no expert, but hopefully was able to explain some reasons for the lack of samples. I agree that sampling is the best way to market to a customer, but sometimes it's not the most efficient. Hopefully in the future companies will do a better job of creating samples, but for now this is all we got

This Christmas season I'm on a hunt for as many sample vials of fragrance that I can get my greedy hands on. My plan is to hit up Macy's, Bloomingdale's & any other dept store I can think of just for the sake a free sample. And I'm not going to buy any perfume. Grinch!

The other day I went thru all my samples (I had long ago thrown away most of the cards). I put them in a two drawer little box thingy that used to hold soap. Taking one out a day, I wear each frag whether I like the scent or not. I think about the notes, the history & the maker of the scent. It's kind of like a meditation on fragrance.

Today's was not a favorite... I borrowed it from a co-worker. Everytime I try to think of the name I just can't get it. It's so awful I just black it out. I didn't tell her though. If I remember I'll come back & edit this post.

Ah, I remembered... it was OPIUM. It had ugly top notes & do nothing middle notes which wound down to a very faded & brief (but not half bad) bottom note scent. I'll never wear that again!
    Last edited by kitty meow; 11th December 2008 at 01:32 AM.
    I purr, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by lavendernrose View Post

Again, I'm no expert, but hopefully was able to explain some reasons for the lack of samples. I agree that sampling is the best way to market to a customer, but sometimes it's not the most efficient. Hopefully in the future companies will do a better job of creating samples, but for now this is all we got
    Very good post. I do not know why people cannot see the point of view of the "other side" when they get upset ( whether it is fragrance samples or whatever).

If people were able to get samples just by walking into the shop and asking, then this PRIVLEDGE would be highly abused. When I was a young whippersnapper, I would think I could just ask for sample vials and get it. Even if you are a fragrance hardcore addict ( ie a Basenoter, you cannot expect this).

I will say this, I would have no problem paying for samples. I really wish companies would sell them at the Dept Shops. It is the best way to try out a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by lavendernrose View Post
    I'm in the fragrance department for a well-known, luxury brand. While I'm not an expert, here are my two cents:

I agree with the comment above that samples are enticement, not a reward. While SAs give samples with a purchase, it is meant to open the customer up to other scents that the store offers. I don't see it as a reward, but rather a great marketing tool. The customer just bought a fragrance, what does he/she need with samples? If the customer tries the sample, they may be enticed to purchase that fragrance after the current bottle is done. Or they can give it to friends/family to try. Either way, the company knows that the person is invested in the purchased fragrance (both monetarily and emotionally), so giving samples is a minimal cost.
    I agree that sampling is the best way to market to a customer, but sometimes it's not the most efficient. Hopefully in the future companies will do a better job of creating samples, but for now this is all we got
    Thank you for your point of view. It is very useful to see the other side of the issue.

However, I gave an example earlier in this thread about my bad experience at Saks. I had just spent $250 in a by Kilian fragrance, talked to Mr. Kilian and told him I could not buy two perfumes and I was torn between Cruel Intentions and Straight to Heaven, however I thought that either Straight to Heaven and Prelude to Love could be my next purchase and I was leaning towards buying Cruel Intentions right at that moment. He asked the Saks manager to give me samples and she said they did not have any. Even Mr. Kilian looked embarrassed. They took my information and I have not seen any samples yet. Yes, I did not need enticement for my one purchase, but for future purchases, and I had just dropped $250.00!!!! They did not even offer to make me a sample!!

Yeah samples are a must especially when shopping in a department store. I can't stand when an SA expects you to buy something by smelling it on paper or a spray on your wrist.

I went to saks 5th ave in NY and I was just looking and was interested in some fragrances. So I asked for some samples and the SA sprayed in on a piece of paper and said here you go. I mean if I'm going to spend a good amount of money on a fragrance then I'm going to test it out first!

My best experiences have come from Barneys here in NY. I was just looking around when I met the most informative SA ever. He was a representative for Frederic Malle and basically knew what was in everything that they had in stock and then some. He had to be a fellow basenoter because he was just so excited to talk about fragrances! I was there for a good hour just talking and sampling and he then made me samples to take home of scents without any pressure to buy anything and told me to try on skin before I buy. I will only deal with him from now on lol.

Also Bond no.9 stores here give you samples of whatever you want, but you have to ask or they usually won't offer. I've got about 15-20 samples from them lol

I have had good experiences at the Barneys in Beverly Hills. The Malle and Lutens SAs are great.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanref View Post
    Yeah samples are a must especially when shopping in a department store. I can't stand when an SA expects you to buy something by smelling it on paper or a spray on your wrist.

I went to saks 5th ave in NY and I was just looking and was interested in some fragrances. So I asked for some samples and the SA sprayed in on a piece of paper and said here you go. I mean if I'm going to spend a good amount of money on a fragrance then I'm going to test it out first!

My best experiences have come from Barneys here in NY. I was just looking around when I met the most informative SA ever. He was a representative for Frederic Malle and basically knew what was in everything that they had in stock and then some. He had to be a fellow basenoter because he was just so excited to talk about fragrances! I was there for a good hour just talking and sampling and he then made me samples to take home of scents without any pressure to buy anything and told me to try on skin before I buy. I will only deal with him from now on lol.

Also Bond no.9 stores here give you samples of whatever you want, but you have to ask or they usually won't offer. I've got about 15-20 samples from them lol
    I had a great experience with Barneys. He may have been the same SA that helped me out. Did you smell the scents in the glass chamber? He seemed very knowledgeable and he seemed like we shared mutual respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Very good post. I do not know why people cannot see the point of view of the "other side" when they get upset ( whether it is fragrance samples or whatever).

If people were able to get samples just by walking into the shop and asking, then this PRIVLEDGE would be highly abused. When I was a young whippersnapper, I would think I could just ask for sample vials and get it. Even if you are a fragrance hardcore addict ( ie a Basenoter, you cannot expect this).
    I rather disagree. I know this is a cultural/business model difference, too - in the US and Canada it seems very hard indeed to get samples for free. Me, I think I would not buy from a place that did not offer sampling in any way, shape or form. To me it reeks of disdain for the costumer.
    Reading about common business practice in the US, I'm aware I should be thankful that SA's here will gladly decant 3-5 samples if I'm interested enough - but still it seems no more than common sense for them to do that. Especially the higher end/niche lines require me to drop quite a lot of money, and I'd like to make sure that's money well spent. Re: abuse... I can't imagine so. It's 1 or 1,5 ml samples, and it's not like their availability is being advertised. It's purely a service towards the interested customer. As has been said higher up: it wouldn't take long for an SA to seperate the interested parties from the leeching ones. The store still has full control over who gets a sample, don't they?

I will say this, I would have no problem paying for samples. I really wish companies would sell them at the Dept Shops. It is the best way to try out a fragrance.
    Seconded. I have no qualms paying for nice spray samples produced by the manufactuer. The 1 ml vials decanted on the spot, though, I will maintain should be a service offered by the store in question.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Last time I went to Sephora I got literally about 10 samples for free. I told the girl "Give me samples of what YOU like.. a pretty lady like yourself is what I'm trying to get (laugh laugh laugh)" She just filled up a ton.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    I rather disagree. I know this is a cultural/business model difference, too - in the US and Canada it seems very hard indeed to get samples for free. Me, I think I would not buy from a place that did not offer sampling in any way, shape or form. To me it reeks of disdain for the costumer.
    Reading about common business practice in the US, I'm aware I should be thankful that SA's here will gladly decant 3-5 samples if I'm interested enough - but still it seems no more than common sense for them to do that. Especially the higher end/niche lines require me to drop quite a lot of money, and I'd like to make sure that's money well spent. Re: abuse... I can't imagine so. It's 1 or 1,5 ml samples, and it's not like their availability is being advertised. It's purely a service towards the interested customer. As has been said higher up: it wouldn't take long for an SA to seperate the interested parties from the leeching ones. The store still has full control over who gets a sample, don't they?
    Well, you do make some good points here.

But with this point at the start
    Me, I think I would not buy from a place that did not offer sampling in any way, shape or form
    I cannot be too choosy because although I am in a major city, it really has minimum selection for fragrance shopping. I mostly resent the "attitude" and looks I get from SA's and whomever. That is what keeps me away from shops mainly. But getting samples are certainly ideal.

I also agree with an above poster ( the SA I think) that mentioned the companies do not send enough sample vials. I do not think they do either just from me peeping over the counter into drawers ( when an SA offered me a Boss Selection vial).

..oh, forgot to mention , you are bang on with the cultural difference's aspect and the customer abuse ( SA's would figure them out).
    Last edited by Surfacing; 13th December 2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Thank you for your point of view. It is very useful to see the other side of the issue.

However, I gave an example earlier in this thread about my bad experience at Saks. I had just spent $250 in a by Kilian fragrance, talked to Mr. Kilian and told him I could not buy two perfumes and I was torn between Cruel Intentions and Straight to Heaven, however I thought that either Straight to Heaven and Prelude to Love could be my next purchase and I was leaning towards buying Cruel Intentions right at that moment. He asked the Saks manager to give me samples and she said they did not have any. Even Mr. Kilian looked embarrassed. They took my information and I have not seen any samples yet. Yes, I did not need enticement for my one purchase, but for future purchases, and I had just dropped $250.00!!!! They did not even offer to make me a sample!!
    Sorry, I see exactly where you're coming from and should have clarified that my post was more for those who were upset by the fact that they didn't receive samples when they asked for it.

While I can understand that Saks/Kilian didn't have any samples on hand, someone should have been better about following up. I totally agree with you and think it was a wasted opportunity on the part of Saks/Kilian. If the sample did not entice you to purchase another fragrance after you finished using the one you just bought, at least you walked away on a positive note with only good things to tell your friends/family. After all, the best marketing is word of mouth!

Blog Entries

While the customer may not always be right, any interaction between store a employee and a customer that ends on a sour note is bad for business.

I remember reading about a study that was done-- oh, maybe 8-10 years ago-- which showed that on average, 23 people learn about it by word of mouth, any time a customer leaves a store unhappy with customer service. That includes people who pass the story on second hand.

Obviously this study done didn't take into account Internet discussion boards, which allow thousands to ''hear about it'' every time a customer is dissatisfied and choses to post about it. For example, as a result of offensive insinuations made by a middle aged female SA at the Macy's in West Farms Mall, CT, when my husband and I requested a sample, I will never buy a man's fragrance there again.

Wouldn't it have cost them less in the long run if they had given us a sample?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Well, you do make some good points here.

But with this point at the start

[Not buying from places that don't offer sampling]

I cannot be too choosy because although I am in a major city, it really has minimum selection for fragrance shopping. I mostly resent the "attitude" and looks I get from SA's and whomever. That is what keeps me away from shops mainly. But getting samples are certainly ideal.
    Attitude is sure to drive anyone away, I agree.
    Two comments: I wasn't entirely clear in that when writing "places that don't offer sampling in any way, shape of form" I meant places that don't even have testers out. If there's no way to try a frag on the skin, I'm not buying from you. Of course, those stores that offer decanting samples for me have the edge on those that merely have testers.
    Either way, I have the luxury of being picky on where to spend and will certainly use that to my advantage. If I feel I'm being slighted, there's always the internet. Which was my second comment: even if your city doesn't have the best fragrance shopping places, you can choose to take your money elsewhere, thus "punishing" them for their attitude/lack of service. You just won't have the satisfaction of them being aware.

Douglas Adams