Code of Conduct

Exclamation RIP: Creed Angelique Encens

I just received word from Creed Paris HQ that due to the fact that sourcing proper materials for this fragrance has become increasingly harder over the years, rather than compromise the fragrance composition production will stop some time in 2009.

The three key ingredients in AE are incense, angelic and vanilla, neither of which is on the endangered list, therefore I think there must be some other ingredient key to the composition which Creed might be having trouble sourcing. I have requested more information and I will update the thread if/when I received it.
    Last edited by zztopp; 20th November 2008 at 05:34 PM.
    -

Default Re: RIP: Creed Angelique Encens

This is one Creed I like. I emailed them and asked if they were going to produce a candle version and they said no. I guess I now know why.

Wonder how much that bottle given to the pope will be worth once AE is discontinued.

Basenotes Institution

One of the Creed's I could not like, for some reason. I think I approached it expecting it to be much more incense prominent. It's not.

Tragic .
    I wonder if any others will follow suit?
    Maybe the days of these old creeds are numbered.
    Maybe it is due to the forthcoming regulations?
    Or maybe it just wasn't selling? I have often wondered how Creed sustain such a wide portfolio, it is one of the great attractions of the house for me. With times moving on it is hard to see how they don't focus on their best sellers and drop the less profitable fragrances.
    The fact that they haven't yet done this yet gives them legitimacy in my mind.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 20th November 2008 at 09:23 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Off-Scenter

Good thing I gave my wife an 8 oz tankard of the stuff last year. Of course, at the rate she goes through fragrance, she could conceivably use it up someday...

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I just received word from Creed Paris HQ that due to the fact that sourcing proper materials for this fragrance has become increasingly harder over the years, rather than compromise the fragrance composition production will stop some time in 2009.

The three key ingredients in AE are incense, angelic and vanilla, neither of which is on the endangered list, therefore I think there must be some other ingredient key to the composition which Creed might be having trouble sourcing.
    Maybe sandalwood? Please post when you have more information, as I'm curious to know as well.

Blog Entries

Well, AE is the first Creed that my wife loved at first sniff. As she got distracted by some other Creeds, I decided to keep mum and get it for her as a surprise gift. Looks like it's time to buy.

Thank you, zz, for getting the word out on this.

I find it both interesting and admirable that Creed would discontinue rather than compromise or reformulate. If we do get more information on this, I think it could be very educational.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

I find it both interesting and admirable that Creed would discontinue rather than compromise or reformulate. If we do get more information on this, I think it could be very educational.
    But please don't doubt that Creed has some of the best marketing folks in the perfume business... and they might be counting on just that: "I think it's admirable..." and then everyone goes mad and buys all the available bottles and shoots the price way up...

Ok... just playing the devil's advocate (as I am known to do in my business! )
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

There goes another one. I felt the same chagrin a few years back when Verveine Narcisse was discontinued. VN was unique and never really "popular". I guess it didn't earn its keep.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    But please don't doubt that Creed has some of the best marketing folks in the perfume business... and they might be counting on just that: "I think it's admirable..." and then everyone goes mad and buys all the available bottles and shoots the price way up...

Ok... just playing the devil's advocate (as I am known to do in my business! )
    LOL! Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I also considered that it might be a trial balloon, but that would look pretty bad if they changed their mind. Like they say, crisis is opportunity. Presumably an economic calculation, pure and simple. Keep an old frag in the line with slack sales and an ingredient-dictated price increase in a worsening economy, or retire it, make the best of that (exactly as you say - discontinuation mania), and bring in a new frag earlier - a "win-win" situation on 2 frags without expanding the line.

I trust your devil's advocate in this case. The mistake people make with Creed is generally one of two. They either believe ONLY the marketing, or they believe none of it. The reality, I think we agree, is that it's good marketing.

I hope not to go mad on this loss, but if they ever give up on Bois de Cedrat, I'll be wearing a tin foil hat as I buy every last bottle in Saks!

Angelique Encens is the ONLY Creed I like. Looks like I'll have to break down and buy that 8oz vat of the stuff soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    There goes another one. I felt the same chagrin a few years back when Verveine Narcisse was discontinued. VN was unique and never really "popular". I guess it didn't earn its keep.
    Now THERE'S one we hardly see mentioned here, if at all.
    Jardanel, since I joined here two years ago, I've always wondered what Verveine Narcisse smelled like.
    I'm really surprised to see it mentioned.

This does not bode well. Even though AE never worked for me, it is a further minor indicator of where Creed will move as Erwin starts taking over the business. Fully understandable economically, of course, but to me Creed's only relevance has only ever been its back catalogue, with a few exceptions (but even Royal Delight is now 15 years old). If that starts to be faded out I'll have to hope for a creative burst of energy from Lorenzo Villoresi, or invest in acquiring the Dukes of PallMall license. Or "get real rich" and order private bottles of REL and Orange Spice
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    This does not bode well. Even though AE never worked for me, it is a further minor indicator of where Creed will move as Erwin starts taking over the business. Fully understandable economically, of course, but to me Creed's only relevance has only ever been its back catalogue, with a few exceptions (but even Royal Delight is now 15 years old). If that starts to be faded out I'll have to hope for a creative burst of energy from Lorenzo Villoresi, or invest in acquiring the Dukes of PallMall license. Or "get real rich" and order private bottles of REL and Orange Spice
    this is exactly what I had been thinking....
    Erwin, if you are reading this (and as a formidable and vocal shopping bloc, we basenoters, it would behoove you to do so), DO NOT glare at the back catalog as deadweight. We beseech you.

Regardless of whether AE is going away for good or not....

Am I the only one who becomes deeply saddened at the thought of just about ANY fragrance being discontinued forever? It is like permanently neglecting a relevant piece of art for the rest of time. Does not EVERY piece of art, be it a painting, fragrance, song, etc, have the right to exist and be enjoyed forever? I've likened the fact that I will run out of Feuille Verte one day and not be able to get more to the fact that my mother will some day die. But I won't have any pictures or movies of the smell of FV... just increasingly vague memories. Maybe it is because fragrance affects me in such a nostalgic way that I feel so emotional about this. I suppose it doesn't matter to the Creed family, as they have the recipes and could just make more any time they wanted, but for us, it is like having a loved one ripped away from us forever. I don't own but a sample of Angelique Encens, but I absolutely appreciate it's beauty and might have purchased a bottle for my future wife at some point. Why would we want to do away with something so beautiful? It is like being ripped off by a burglar. I feel like they don't have the right to do this to me. Why would "Caraceni" create such an incredibly beautiful fragrance, and AS SOON as it starts getting popular amongst those of use who REALLY care about fragrances, discontinue it?! The smell of Feuille Verte or Caraceni is more important to me than most people I meet.
    Last edited by Scentronic; 21st November 2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I'm with you, Scentronic. It's music that will never be heard again, beauty that will no longer be witnessed. I try to comfort myself with the philosophy that all which is contained in human existence is ephemeral, but a glowing ember within me says "is that really true"? Guess I'll always be a 98% Buddhist. I really believe that while you live in your mortal body, you should celebrate all that is with you in the mortal world.

Note to Quixotic:
    The only fragrance that so far reminds me of Verveine Narcisse is the L'Artisan Fleur de Narcisse, which was the limited harvest edition for 2006. VN was sharper, cooler, without the hay and leather notes. Almost a solar/lunar difference between the two - I always had a visual reference to night and being outdoors at night when I smelled Creed's Verveine Narcissus, whereas the L'Artisan brings to mind more sunlight and dryness.

hello! If you want, i sell atomizers or vials of Angelique Encens: I bought a 16,8 oz bottle just last month. If you want pictures/ information, just contact me with private message

Brenno, it might be a good idea to take a look at the rules of the forum regarding sales before you open up shop

ahah ok I'm sorry! I will immediately check... p.s.: I didn't mean to open my shop

Banned
    Blog Entries

I for one am not as cynical about the direction Creed is trending in, and this is coming from someone who dislikes Aventus and finds it difficult to see the point in owning any Millesime other than GIT.

All the unsubstantiated claims that Creed's history is phoney bore me to tears at this point (if you would like to read actual substantiated claims about phony marketing, see Montale), but I will say this: if Creed is telling the truth about their history, then their discontinuation of well-regarded scents like Angelique Encens in light of sourcing issues makes sense. I've noticed that Creed abandons their more legendary creations (the discontinuation of half their Grey Cap lineup as an example) with little fanfare, and replaces them slowly with new and very different things. For an old company, they don't cling to old things. Maybe they should, but they don't.

If they exercised this sort of unsentimental commercial strategy in years gone by, it further narrows the scope of what can be unearthed about Creed's past. Some have argued that the "vaulting" of these Creeds is a marketing gimmick aimed at charging premium prices for something that was once a common offering, but I'm not so sure. If this is true, then they would be charging $500 per bottle of Green Valley and siphoning it out every few months. As it is, they're letting it go for what - two weeks out of the year? And at the same price it always was.

I think Aventus and some of the recent Millesimes have been disappointing in that they haven't been the most challenging scents around, but they're all high quality and smell really good. It's only a matter of time before they release something that I really like again.

Too bad about AE, but I'd rather they discontinue it than compromise it with synthetics or different ingredients. That's just my feeling on the matter.