Code of Conduct

Talking Just Plain Joyful

Today I sampled TIMBUKTU for the first time. While I haven't decided if this is a fragrance I need to own, I found myself fascinated by its effect on my disposition. I swear that Timbuktu lifted my mood this morning and kept it that way for a good part of the day.

Now, I'm a firm believer that WE decide if we're going to be happy or not happy. A fragrance can't do that for us. Right??? However, it is Thursday of a long work week during a stressful time of year (for me), and I am convinced that this beautifully made concoction helped me to have a better day. I refreshed the fragrance midday (as one often has to do with L'Artisans), and almost laughed out loud with delight. I know this sounds silly, but there it is.

So here's my question for you: What fragrances do you consider joyful? Have you worn a fragrance that inexplicably puts a grin on your face? And I'm curious if any of you had this experience with Timbuktu?

Default Re: Just Plain Joyful

Timbuktu made me smile instantaneously the very first time I tried it as well, Haunani. Other scents that produce similar results time after time: Le Temps d'une Fete, Dzing!, Ormonde Woman, and Coeur Joie.

Floris Pink Grapefruit: I just received a replacement bottle, and as soon as I unwrapped it and caught a whiff of that sparkling scent, I felt buoyed.

Haunani, I'm really glad you liked Timbuktu. I'm sure some basenoters may be getting tired of the way I've been praising it for months (I had a crush on it long before Luca decided to award it the 5 stars I'd already given it!). It was love at first sniff and still is. It makes my day. Other scents that change my mood in a positive way (or perhaps I only wear them when I'm ok) are Phylosykos, Bois d'Argent and Quand Vient la Pluie. Others, like Coromandel or Feminite de Bois, wrap me and give me comfort. How lucky we are to have such experiences! It's so simple, just a bottle... It's unfortunate for those who cannot or don't want to appreciate it.

Nice idea for a thread... we need more joy in the world!
    The discussion of Timbuktu increases my interest in it, I must try it.
    A couple of feel-good scents for me are Thierry Mugler Cologne and Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo. I get a big smile whenever I wear them.
    D'oh -- how could I forget Wild Fern by Geo. F. Trumper? That is a huge smiley-face scent for me!!

alba's comment, "perhaps I only wear X when I'm ok) raises an interesting point. Some scents may be intrinsically "joyful", and some may be that way through association and memory. That's fairly straightforward, but what about the scenario when you put on Ol' Reliable, and proceed to have a rotten day? How do you feel about OR then? The thread about scents and funerals also touched on the scent and memory/association issue.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 21st November 2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: thought of something to add
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Oh, honey, some days the only reason I have gotten up is to wear some perfume.
    Just about any perfume I like has that effect on me. If I'm not smiling outwardly, I'm smiling inwardly.
    As far as Timbuktu goes, the first time I put it on, I could barely smell it. So I put on some other testers in different areas. Hours later I went for a walk. As the breeze was blowing, I kept smelling something wonderful. I searched for which perfume it was, and (you guessed it), it was Timbuktu.
    I am a big lover of woody scents. This one is a little more on the masculine side than I usually wear, but it is light enough that it doesn't come across as a distinctly manly fragrance. It's very elegant without being complicated.

Gosh. I think that I should revisit Timbuktu! While almost all of my lovelies on my dresser bring me much happiness, Chergui makes me feel perky and optimistic. Perfect for Mondays. On the other hand, I must feel emotionally centered for Songes, which is so beautiful and melancholy.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Oh, honey, some days the only reason I have gotten up is to wear some perfume.
    Just about any perfume I like has that effect on me. If I'm not smiling outwardly, I'm smiling inwardly.
    As far as Timbuktu goes, the first time I put it on, I could barely smell it. So I put on some other testers in different areas. Hours later I went for a walk. As the breeze was blowing, I kept smelling something wonderful. I searched for which perfume it was, and (you guessed it), it was Timbuktu.
    I am a big lover of woody scents. This one is a little more on the masculine side than I usually wear, but it is light enough that it doesn't come across as a distinctly manly fragrance. It's very elegant without being complicated.
    +1

Timbuktu gets better the longer it's on skin.

And nearly any perfume brings me joy. It's portable art and beauty - that's how it fits into my day.

Basenotes Plus

In addition to Timbuktu (yeah, it "gets" to me too) another L'Artisan gives me the "giggles", Jatamansi!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post

alba's comment, "perhaps I only wear X when I'm ok) raises an interesting point. Some scents may be intrinsically "joyful", and some may be that way through association and memory. That's fairly straightforward, but what about the scenario when you put on Ol' Reliable, and proceed to have a rotten day? How do you feel about OR then? The thread about scents and funerals also touched on the scent and memory/association issue.
    I can no longer use certain shampoos. conditioners, perfumes, and other scented products because they're jinxed. I love the smell but every time I wear them something terrible happens. Clearly, the innocuous item cannot be faulted for all the bad things that go wrong, but either by bad luck, or self fulfilling prophecy bad things happen when I use them.

Yesterday, I threw on L'Occitane's Myrtle. Then I went to work. The bus was crowded. I was holding a book, and a lunch bag, and my pocketbook and the pole. The purse was dangling off two fingers. It was heavy. The bus stopped. I let go of the pole to shift the handbag. The bus started; I went flying backward and tripped over a man with a cane on his way to the hospital. He screamed in agony for five minutes. If anyone would like my bottle of myrtle it's up for grabs.

I haven't tried Timbuktu, but now I would definitely like to!
    Scents that make me happy are Cristobal, Nirmala and Yvresse.

Kewart, I have a sample of Timbuktu that I can send you if you like - I didn't like it. PM me your address if you're interested.

Timbuktu was the first perfume I ever bought for myself, based largely on Turin's glowing review. Oddly, I find it fairly intense (compared to his description as "quiet"), and it seems 'dressy' to me, so I wear it less often than anything else I now own...but I do like it a lot. Maybe what I'm callind 'dressy' is just that it makes me feel a little more dignified or formal or something. It's my standard 'night out' scent.

As for real mood lifters, Safran Troublant and Azzaro have that effect on me, but in contrasting ways: Azzaro right after a morning shower makes a Monday workday feel cheerful. ST after a Saturday evening bath leads to a supremely cozy evening on the couch.
    Last edited by andylama; 21st November 2008 at 04:53 PM.

Sel de Vetiver always makes me feel relaxed and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    ... but what about the scenario when you put on Ol' Reliable, and proceed to have a rotten day? How do you feel about OR then? The thread about scents and funerals also touched on the scent and memory/association issue.
    I've been thinking about your point. What's happened to me is that, while wearing a perfume I love (even my joyful ones) I've started having migraine. That's put me off the scent for a while, but then it also puts me off some food or drinks. Memory must have something to do with it, of course

This is interesting (the scent and association aspect). I choose one of two scents to wear the day I leave on a holiday or conference. So now I always associate that happy, anticipatory feeling with those scents. (They are Worth pour Homme and Jil Sander Man Pure Original).
    And, especially in the summer, I often wear Thierry Mugler Cologne when I am on holiday. I like the scent anyway, but it also has now acquired an extra pleasurable "freedom" aspect by association.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Well this has certainly made me want to sample Timbuktu!

My current joyful scents seem to be - Datura Noir (it's so improbably attractive and silly and lovely all at once that the first time I smelled it I almost laughed out loud), Juicy Couture (another surprise - maybe there's a theme here actually of surprise and delight - really enjoy this one and it makes me smile) and Summer by Kenzo (first I was drawn to the scent, then after having worn it on my wedding day, it's got that added association of joy).

Blog Entries

I think the first time I wore Tabac Blonde it had that effect on me. Also, Quelques Fleurs, Patou 1000, Vintage Fleurs des Rocailles, Iris Silver Mist and Montale Patchouli Leaves. Each of those felt very different from any I'd previously tried at the time. Actually there are more, but I won't bore you!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

La Rose du Petit Prince -- the citrus-floral children's scent, the pink juice, the cute bottle, the fair price. How could this not cause glee?

Fruity florals make me feel happy, also muguet dominated florals. They always lift my spirits. Also anything minty.

I'm so enjoying all your comments! My experience with Timbuktu caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    .....How lucky we are to have such experiences! It's so simple, just a bottle... It's unfortunate for those who cannot or don't want to appreciate it.
    So true, just a bottle, but what rich experience lies within!

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Oh, honey, some days the only reason I have gotten up is to wear some perfume. Just about any perfume I like has that effect on me. If I'm not smiling outwardly, I'm smiling inwardly.....
    I'm the same. In this case, it was the outward grin, that buoyant feeling, that caught me off guard.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    .....And nearly any perfume brings me joy. It's portable art and beauty - that's how it fits into my day.
    So very true, Seattlelight! I think part of my experience with Timbuktu is that I now have just enough experience under my belt to understand that it is a remarkably well-done, unique work of art.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    In addition to Timbuktu (yeah, it "gets" to me too) another L'Artisan gives me the "giggles", Jatamansi!
    Oh, yes! I agree with both of these. And thank you (RHM) so much for giving me the sample of Timbuktu that make me love it so!

Yes, yes, yes! I wore Timbuktu to work for my first test. I was at a meeting, wearing just a touch of it, and I caught a faint whiff that stayed with me for the full hour. I was smiling through the whole thing. It's definitely a happy fragrance. I like Dzongkha, too - similar, maybe even better for me, but not quite as happy as Timbuktu. More solemn but still smiling.

Jatamansi is wonderful. It's like a freshening EDT or EDC that's just so pure and interesting, it knocks my socks off. I smile big when I wear that one to work. I feel like it's the summer of love all over again!

PS debbborra - what a hoot of a story, but sorry it was such a bad day. Please forgive me if I don't take that fragrance off your hands. I think the word "jinxed" isn't quite strong enough...

A 'joyful' scent for me has got to be Cristalle EDT. It's an antidepressant in a bottle, and a very elegant one at that.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Love this thread - thanks Haunani!

I love Timbuktu. The first time I tried it, I felt happy and exhilarated, as if I'd just fallen in love for the first time. [If that ain't joy, I don't know what is!] After I tried it and left the store to live with it on my skin for awhile, I completely folded. Not five minutes had passed when I knew I had to possess it. Buy it I did, and find that I love to wear it at the end of a day, and revel in the exotic joy of it, without any distractions of the day.

What is a favorite scent, if not a mood enhancing "drug"? Whether it be to impart, or align with my state of joy, serenity, elegance, libido, confidence, focus, etc., a scent keeps the mood front and center.

Other "joyous" and smile inducing scents for me are Chanel 19, Egyptian Cotton, Kelly Caleche (yes, I am aware that I've spoken incessantly about KC), Un Jardin sur le Nil and Eau des Merveilles.

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    A 'joyful' scent for me has got to be Cristalle EDT. It's an antidepressant in a bottle, and a very elegant one at that.
    Ditto.
    Additionally, Un Jardin Sur le Nil brightens my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Additionally, Un Jardin Sur le Nil brightens my mood.
    And ditto from me on this one, turquoisewater!

I find this as sprightly and uplifting as a flute of chilled champagne.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Just thought of one that I discovered this last summer. EAU DE CARTIER makes me grin. Just love it!

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    I agree with soirdelune about Cristalle and would add AG Chevrefeuille and Jasper Conran Woman - all three are uplifting citrus scents! Well, the Chevrefeuille is technically honeysuckle meets lemon meringue pie after a brief opening of tomato stems, but it has a similar vibe!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Most of my 4 and 5 star fragrances put a smile on my face. Lately I'm LOVING Noir Epices, both alone, and layered. I close my eyes and sniff it on my skin and swoon!
    Lemon Sugar (at the other end of the spectrum) has always been a very happy, joyful fragrance for me. Many happy associations, high energy, etc...
    Others: Indult Tihota, SL Un Bois Vanille, Ava Luxe Amande Sucre and Sinfonia's Coeur de Noisette.