Code of Conduct

Default Smells like......

I assume this thread is not a new idea, but I'm driven to open it "again" anyway. I buy about 60 percent of my frags "blind" based on positive reviews here. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss. Since I don't know what many individual notes smell like (e.g., bergamot, neroli lemon, chypre, tonka bean), I impulsively buy or swap based on the enthusiasm of the reviews and the ratio of positive reviews to negative reviews.

That's the backdrop. My point is that when I smell many frags that I don't like and some that I do like, I often get an impression (an accord?) of something that I've smelled before that I can compare it to.

Here are a couple of examples:

Tuscany per Uomo: hated it. reminded my of Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Caustic.

Guerlain Vetiver: I like it OK, but it does remind me a little of Spot Shot Carpet Cleaner. I understand that the_good_life loathes it!! Oh well...

Kouros: Eh...sort of reminded me of a urinal cake. Not my cup of tea.

Bvlgari pour homme Extreme: Gin martini. I like it!

Polo green: when used sparingly, smells like new bank notes (that's like a new 5 dollar bill or a 20, for those of you in Rio Linda)

Gucci pour homme: pencil shavings (this is a popular comparison). I still like it....woody, pleasant...

Now I realize that a lot of these are subjective, but I would be interested in hearing what scents you have that smell like something I may have smelled already. It would help me continue by blind buying with perhaps a little more vision. Thanks.

Btw, I am now going to add M7 to my swap thread. FYI! Check it out!

Jerry

Default Re: Smells like......

L'artisan Dzing! smells like Chicken Poop
    Lalique Encre Noir smells like Spilled Ink
    Dior Fahrenheit smells like Cut Grass and a greasy car workshop
    Bvlgari Black smells like Burned Rubber
    Narcisso For Him smells like cement + moss/fern
    Dior Homme smells like mums make up bag

meh...its 130am my side..nanite
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Descriptive! Hey, that's a good point I neglected to mention. "Smells like a combination of X and Y and n...."

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Now I realize that a lot of these are subjective, but I would be interested in hearing what scents you have that smell like something I may have smelled already. It would help me continue by blind buying with perhaps a little more vision. Thanks.

Jerry
    Creed MI smells like Sean John Unforgivable (couldn't resist sorry )

Creed- Original Vetiver smells like the lemon toilet refresher that hangs in my loo.
    Terre d'hermès smells like a heavy smoker who just chewed on orange peel, spat it out in sand, liquidised it, and called it Terre d'hermès.
    Le Male smells like 16 year old boys.
    Creed virgin Island Water smells like my girlfriend with tan lotion on.
    Bond no9 Wall street smells like unused,fresh dollar bills.
    Kenzo Power smells as if somebody's been rolling around in my mothers flower garden.
    Bvlgari Aqua -> if you would take a boat, travel till you can see no land anymore and you are surrounded with dark green/blue ocean, jump off your boat and dive 50 feet deep, and take a deep sniff that would be Bvlgari Aqua.

I'm sure i could find more, but this is it for now.
    Last edited by Mystery; 21st November 2008 at 05:16 PM.
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

Yeah, Le Male smells like high school locker room.

My girlfriend says Guerlain Vetiver smells like those mosquito coils.

And I started a thread about this before, but Dior Homme Sport smells like Froot Loops.

Also, YSL L'Homme reminds me a lot of Ginger Ale.
    Last edited by dynendal; 21st November 2008 at 05:48 PM.

H.M. by Hanae Mori smells like ice cream.

dynendal -- I just stocked up on my Guerlain Vetiver, I have some mosquito coils in the garage. I may light one up tonight to compare. Thanks! Bond No. 9 definitely! It does have a "currency" accord to it, which must be deliberate I'm assuming....don't they have Wall Street too?

Mystery -- You may note that I have the Terre d'Hermes on my swap list. Interesting description....I get the orange part of it definitely. That Creed VIW sounds interesting....

TheAttorney: I did smell H.M. at Younkers and I did get a heavy heavy gourmand thing that was sort of cloying and off-putting. That said, I seem to really like Lolita Lempicka....which smells like you could apply it or drink it and get the same effect.

Virgin island water is to girly for ANY man to wear, but on a girl it smells lovely, especially when its hot and sunny.. virgin island water is basically, coconut-sun lotion-the image of a island with white sand beaches-and a pinacolad mixed together..Lasting power=15 minutes.

You are way better of buying Creed Santal Imperial 1851 (nobody talks about it on this forum)(not original santal btw) its the very best of the creed line IMO, it is very soft,elegant with a Capital E and sophisticated it just screams out that you are a guy with pure class..and I (don't know if others get it) find that after the drydown santal imperial smells a bit like virgin island water, but the manly version of it.. it has that same cocunut-ish(thats what it smells like to me) note in there somewhere, its not as prominent as in virgin island water but its there..

I know you didn't ask for it, but if you haven't tried it yet, go try out smell santal imperial some day, and let me know what you think of it.
    The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic.

Smells like teen spirit
    For sale: Nemo Cacharel 1,7OZ (30ML) 99% full

I used to smell new frags this way too. I think it's that your mind hasn't yet developed the ability to determine what's in a particular accord. Some frags are heavily blended, though, so they can't be easily "deconstructed." When I first started out, for example, Victory League smelled like an orange creamsicle to me. That may be because it is so sweet, but in any case now I am better able to pick out the vanilla, basil, etc. When I was in your situation, I bought a bunch of different "cheapos" that got good reviews here on BN. Then I was able to figure out what most of the common notes are, and along the way I developed a taste for the sweeter fragrances, generally speaking. I also determined some notes that cause me problems, depending upon how they are used, in particular, lavender, geranium, and sandalwood.

Note: Chypre is not a note but a description of a particular kind of fragrance, usually containing at least a few specific ingredients.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 21st November 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Blog Entries

smn nostalgia. a 1964 Alpine Renault A110 Rally Car
    tom ford tuscan leather. A leather jacket with cocaine spilled all over it...
    kiton black. the interior of a brand new Audi.
    cdg garage. the oilpan from a 24 hours of le mans race car
    rive gauche. a sink full of shaving cream
    knize ten.
    a really old briefcase with fragrance spilled inside
    varvatos vintage. root beer spilled on a leather jacket

Sweet Oriental Dream smells like Keiko M Loukhoum
    Fracas reminds me of Chinatown but more affordable
    Vanille CoCo by CSP smels like Virgin Island Water but stronger and heavier

When I review perfumes I always try to mention it if it smells like something I have sniffed before so that people who read it might know it a bit better or at least know what to expect.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Ah, yes, I just sampled Varvatos Vintage. Now that smelled like "cologne guy" standing next to some marinated meat! LOL.

kiton black. the interior of a brand new Audi.
    kiton black. the interior of a brand new Audi, with brand new leather seats, but someone spilled some berry soda all over them

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I used to smell new frags this way too. I think it's that your mind hasn't yet developed the ability to determine what's in a particular accord. Some frags are heavily blended, though, so they can't be easily "deconstructed." When I first started out, for example, Victory League smelled like an orange creamsicle to me. That may be because it is so sweet, but in any case now I am better able to pick out the vanilla, basil, etc. When I was in your situation, I bought a bunch of different "cheapos" that got good reviews here on BN. Then I was able to figure out what most of the common notes are, and along the way I developed a taste for the sweeter fragrances, generally speaking. I also determined some notes that cause me problems, depending upon how they are used, in particular, lavender, geranium, and sandalwood.

Note: Chypre is not a note but a description of a particular kind of fragrance, usually containing at least a few specific ingredients.
    Agreed. Besides, reading the reviews and the description by the perfumers suggest assosiations that, IMO, do not exist. Still, I do not think one nose is superior to the other. We just process, communicate and assosiate scents diferently. M7 smells like froot loops?! not to me... Kouros like a urinal cake? no. I have worked with several dozens of inks. From toner ink, to ball pens, gels, fountain pens mainstream, FP indie, several brands of indian/chinese ink etc. I also know how markers smell (believe me, I've smell all I have had access to) Not one of them smells like encre noir.
    Pencil shavings from Guci PH... not really. Pencils do not use the kind of woods as the Gucci and they are not as dry as the scent. Now, lipstick and Dior Homme, that is pretty evident. However, I still think that vintage lipstick smells more like it... todays lipstick smells diferent.
    Last edited by irish; 21st November 2008 at 11:08 PM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy View Post
    kiton black. the interior of a brand new Audi, with brand new leather seats, but someone spilled some berry soda all over them
    seriously man...i get NO fruit out of kiton black! weird how different noses can be right?

So what DO you get next to the obvious suede (leather)?

I really get the berries.

Bulgari PH smells like distilled water.
    Bulgari PH Extreme smells like distilled water with a drop of something nice (1:1,000,000,000).
    Euphoria PH smells like burnt plastic poorly camouflaged with something cheap 'n nasty from Paris Hilton's bathroom cabinet.
    and, yes, Gucci PH smells like pencil shavings and I love it!
    Last edited by Trufflehunter; 21st November 2008 at 11:39 PM.

I think Bowling Green smells like spice cake with lemon glaze on top--yummy.
    The first part of Kouros smells like some sort of candy to me--SweeTarts perhaps?
    New West smells like Hall's Mentho-Lyptus cough drops to me.
    Halston Unbound gives off a sewage-like note on me.
    Tuscany smells like a smoke-filled bar--probably more a memory impression than the scent itself.

Some interesting comments to sort through. The overall subjectivity is amazing, but I guess when it comes to tastes and associations the concept of "no two fingerprints" comes in. Some of the descriptions of frags are so common that you really have to give credence to them. The example I gave was Gucci pour homme....the concensus is pencil shavings. The Korous urinal cake impression was my first take impression when I smelled it at Boston Store....it was like I was transported to a men's restroom...blech. So, trufflehunter....you don't get GIN at all from Bvlgari PH Extreme? Distilled water would be SO much cheaper....I could buy it by the GALLON!!

Btw, I think my next blind buy will be Kiton Black...to splash in the interior of my 1999 Toyota Camry.

At some point we discussed the Kouros ~ Urinal cake association.
    http://community.basenotes.net/poll....lts&pollid=324
    Forget it I just remembered how bad that thread turned out to be...
    Last edited by irish; 22nd November 2008 at 01:22 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

See my take on that Irish is the Kouros folks are a deeply committed lot....That 30 percent was probably profoundly appalled at the comparison. I sort of have the same reaction when people diss Polo....

My wife has mentioned more than once: "It smells like you're wearing baby powder," (e.g. Jardin sur le Nil, Lagerfeld, Dior Homme -definitely must be the iris in the Dior)

She thought M7 smelled like peanuts...I began to feel a little self-conscious that time

One day we got into the car (I was wearing Kouros Cologne Sport) and she says "Check your shoes! What about mine?! Did I step on anything??" ...I really felt self-conscious with that one.

Today it was SL Miel de Bois: "Manny check the pilot light on the water heater, do you smell gas?" ...I just walked over and pretended to check the pilot light
    Last edited by Manuel; 22nd November 2008 at 02:04 AM.

Manuel, take heart my brother, I've received the same sorts of reactions from my bride of 11 years! When I put on Gucci pour homme, she said I smelled like a guinea pig cage (must be those cedar shavings). Now, the M7 thing just emphasizes my point about subjectivity....peanuts...unreal? See, I've heard the cough syrup connection many times about M7...some say something about aldehyde or some thing like that. I'm trying to swap M7 now....but not because it smells like goober peas....

The SL comment must have driven you mad....aren't Serge Lutens frags insanely $$?

I used to have Jaipur Homme....another blind buy, but it was a nuclear bomb of vanilla....couldn't handle it....

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    My wife has mentioned more than once: "It smells like you're wearing baby powder," (e.g. Jardin sur le Nil, Lagerfeld, Dior Homme -definitely must be the iris in the Dior)

She thought M7 smelled like peanuts...I began to feel a little self-conscious that time

One day we got into the car (I was wearing Kouros Cologne Sport) and she says "Check your shoes! What about mine?! Did I step on anything??" ...I really felt self-conscious with that one.

Today it was SL Miel de Bois: "Manny check the pilot light on the water heater, do you smell gas?" ...I just walked over and pretended to check the pilot light
    Does SL smells like mercaptan to your wife??? That's crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Does SL smells like mercaptan to your wife??? That's crazy...
    Y'know, I've read comments on Miel de Bois somewhere comparing it more or less to dirty baby diapers. So who knows?? All I get out of it is wood, beaswax, iris and more wood.

But that's all subjective ain't it?

Tom Ford PC, Bois Rogue smells like a campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    tom ford tuscan leather. A leather jacket with cocaine spilled all over it...

aaaaggghh, the eighties; weren't they fun??
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd November 2008 at 02:42 AM.

Danny, indeed, the 80s were absolutely awesome....and Manuel, yes, subjectivity -- all these noses thinking different things. Baby diapers!! Holy cow....I mean, between my three kids I've changed about 10,000 diapers and I can't imagine how someone would think a frag meant to comfort and attract and please would smell like caca....oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Guerlain Vetiver: I like it OK, but it does remind me a little of Spot Shot Carpet Cleaner. I understand that the_good_life loathes it!! Oh well...

I can't stand Lubin's Vetyver either - tobacco plus vetiver just doesn't work for me. GV is like wallowing in a chewing tobacco spittoon.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Diesel Zero Plus smells like regurgitated cinnamon donuts and pot-purri.
    Lolita Lempicka smells like dusty licorice (in a good way!)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I can't stand Lubin's Vetyver either - tobacco plus vetiver just doesn't work for me. GV is like wallowing in a chewing tobacco spittoon.
    Now the_good_life, you're among friends -- this is an open forum! Don't hold back! LOL

The sillage from H.M. Hanae Morae smells like an area where they are preparing overly ripe fresh fruit, like pineapple, banana, cantaloupe. Or maybe it's more like the garbage can where they are throwing the rinds. I can't imagine what somebody thinks when they smell it on you, having no idea that it's a fragrance you sprayed on your skin.
    Last edited by aeromatic; 22nd November 2008 at 03:56 PM.

Miller Harris L'Air Du Rein smells like a can of freshly opened tennis-balls.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!