Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    It was yet another wonderful trip to Scent Bar in Los Angeles this past weekend. I was in LA to see my parents for 4 days and so I made my regular pilgramage to Scent Bar to smell the smells and also to meet some Basenoters. It was great meeting Asha, turquoisewater and lushsoup. They’re friendly, bright and oh-so-adorable ladies (you LA Basenoters are quite good looking!!) – however no one could have predicted that significant portions of the Southern California area was going to be ON FIRE that weekend, so perhaps this is why more Basenoters didn’t show up. Traffic was more hectic (freeways were closed), but then traffic is always bad in LA. I was stunned when I realized I arrived to the store right on time (2pm).

    The four of us had most of the store (and Ashley the SA) to ourselves the entire afternoon - which was good because we had a LOT to smell!

    Before I start listing the scents I tried, I wanted to mention a funny thing I noticed: The four of us took almost two hours to decide what fragrance to actually spray on our arms. When we got there, of course we were just spraying smelling strips and at some times the countertop was a sea of smelling strips. But, like good Basenoters, we knew that we couldn't make our decisions solely on smelling the paper strips. We needed to spray them on our skin! Faced with so many choices, we really had a hard time committing to choosing 3-4 fragrances to give ‘skin space’ to. When one of us would finally decide which scent we were going to spray the other 3 of us would hoot and cheer (and laugh at ourselves). Poor Ashley, the Scent Bar SA, she probably thought we were insane.

    I was disappointed to find out that they didn't have Elixir by Penhaligons or Reve en Cuir by Indult to smell in the store. Typical Basenote moment isn't it? There are already hundreds of fragrances in this little tiny store covering the walls, and I want to smell two that aren't there.

    - The new 7 Pierre Bourdon Romea d'Ameor fragrances underwhelmed all of us - I don't think any of us sprayed them on our skin. Too...boring which was quite shocking – this is Pierre Bourdon!! What happened? They're non-offensive, pleasant and the bottles have cute little tassels on them (ZZZ…) What else can I say? In all fairness, I probably should have walked out of there w/ some samples to skin test but nothing prompted me to.

    - The Czech & Speake bottles were out for display and while I really wanted to smell Cuba, I overlooked it. Lushsoup fell IN DEEP DEEP LOVE with No. 88 and yet managed to leave the store with only a sample not a full bottle. Good girl!

    - The new L de Lubin is fantastic - on Asha it smelled like a really complex and sturdier Eau Savage by Dior. Like a more modern Diorella I suppose.

    - I tried Chergui by Serge Lutens for the 1st time (I think it was turquoisewater's 1st time smelling it also...) and it was love at 1st sniff. I came to Scent Bar to buy a bottle of Serge Noire already, but my friend wanted me to buy something for him (that he'd split with me) and Chergui seemed like the perfect candidate. Soft leathery sugar. Fascinating stuff - no wonder you guys go bananas about this one. So I picked up a bottle!

    - Lyric by Amouage (both the men’s and women’s) were OK, but nothing to write home about. They both quickly lost our interest. Lushshoup had already fallen in love with No. 88 and I...well, I don't need another ‘OK’ rose scent in my wardrobe.

    - Jade by Olivier Durbano - the minty and grassy top notes are so incredible, I almost pulled out my credit card and bought it on the spot. But after 10-15 minutes or so, its strong metallic tea notes ramped up and ruined it for me (I kept envisioning canned iced tea soft drinks). If someone could recapture those grass, medicinal almost sulphourous top notes into a scent all by itself and sell that - I'd buy it in a heartbeat! And the juice – it’s darkly aquatic in color: Wicked Witch of the East meets Scope mouthwash.

    - Wode by Boudicca sparked everyone’s interest. Spray can like bottles. Paint your skin when you spray them on. The smell? A nice flinty/stone like accord on the smelling strip, but nothing pushed me to skin scent it. Maybe next time I'll spray my face with the Paint one, while Asha takes a picture of me.

    - Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire I was so excited to finally try. What a bad iris scent - I thought it smelled like fruit punch and iris. It smelled granulated - like the sweet stuff inside of pixie sticks candies mixed with iris scented Febreze. So disappointed that I wasted half of my arm on that!

    - Agrumi Amari di Sicilia by Bois 1920 I had smelled last year at Barney's and I never quite forgot about it. It's a sturdy, very tart citrus. I fell in love with it again. This is not a winter scent and yet it still felt just right purchasing for the climate in Miami. It takes the concept of a gentleman's citrus eaux cologne, then modernizes it (think Colonia Assoluta by AdP), then brightens it. I ended up buying the AAdS at Barneys (where 3 of us minus turquiosewater went after Scent Bar) when I went to pick up my bottle on hold, of Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens.

    Besides that - it was neat introducing the ladies to many of the men’s scents and CdG scents that they’d never smelled before. Everyone shrieked at the smell of Tea (Series 1: Leaves) by CdG. Such a harsh little scent, isn’t it? Likewise I got to smell a ton of women’s scents I normally wouldn’t smell: the Sarah Horowitz scents (Love was well…lovely); Citizen Queen (sharp, powdery and not for me!), some of the new Sinfonia di Note scents (sorry, I can’t remember which ones…)

    When Ashley packed up my scents, I asked for samples of: Baume du Doge by Eau d’Italie plus Ichnusa and Thundra by Profumum.

    I’m sure there's a ton of scents I'm forgetting to mention. Ladies if you're reading this, please feel free to mention them.

  2. #2

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23;1363323
    - [B
    Wode[/B] by Boudicca sparked everyone’s interest. Spray can like bottles. Paint your skin when you spray them on. The smell? A nice flinty/stone like accord on the smelling strip, but nothing pushed me to skin scent it. Maybe next time I'll spray my face with the Paint one, while Asha takes a picture of me.
    Oooooo. I'm so excited to try Wode. I have a sample coming in hopefully today, but if not definitely tomorrow. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get some time with it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    - The Czech & Speake bottles were out for display and while I really wanted to smell Cuba, I overlooked it. Lushsoup fell IN DEEP DEEP LOVE with No. 88 and yet managed to leave the store with only a sample not a full bottle. Good girl!

    - I tried Chergui by Serge Lutens for the 1st time (I think it was turquoisewater's 1st time smelling it also...) and it was love at 1st sniff. I came to Scent Bar to buy a bottle of Serge Noire already, but my friend wanted me to buy something for him (that he'd split with me) and Chergui seemed like the perfect candidate. Soft leathery sugar. Fascinating stuff - no wonder you guys go bananas about this one. So I picked up a bottle!
    I have a sample of Chergui, courtesy of the lovely Lush Soup myself. I've just sniffed the bottle so far and am waiting for a weekend where I spend the day in it with no other "testers" to interfere.

    Everyone here was right, #88 is indeed a charmer. That is FBW in my opinion.

    It's a shame you didn't get test Cuba as it really is very interesting. I was surprised at how much I liked it along with MKK. Once a secure a partial bottle (should be here right after Xmas), I could forward you my sample if you'd like.
    Looking for small decants
    * Frederic Malle En Passant, Parfum de Thérèse * Serge Lutens Bois Oriental, Borneo1834, Douce Amère, Gris Clair, Rousse, Santal de Mysore

  4. #4

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Gee, Mike, I'm having a hard time telling whether you enjoyed yourself...

    What a nice summary of what was obviously a great afternoon for all. You sampled a bunch of scents that I'm completely unfamiliar with (and that leaves me jealous, of course). Conversely, I'm surprised that you had never tried Chergui until now. I guess even BN legends let a couple fall through the cracks once in a while!.

    May your bank account rest in peace.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  5. #5

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    I'm hoping to meet some dutch basenoters when I'm in holland again, and I'm already trying to decide what to wear perfume wise. So much pressure!
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

  6. #6
    Scentronic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    2,748

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    That sounds so much fun! I wish I could go. That place must be really cool. Then again, if I were to be able to sample all those rare scents all at once, I wouldn't have much cause to do research on BN
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

  7. #7

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Nice rundown Mike!

    I just knew that the mintyness of Jade would tempt you. Would you say it was as transparent as you had first thought? Its a heck of a stayer on me... (my luckyscent sample vial did not do it justice, but when spritzed with an atomiser, I enjoyed it for a good 6 or 7 hours).

    I wasnt too keen on the whole Wode thing, until you mentioned its unusual flint accord. I am ALL about rocks and mineralic scents right now. Might have to give this a closer look.

    Thanks again!

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by Renngrrl View Post
    It's a shame you didn't get test Cuba as it really is very interesting. I was surprised at how much I liked it along with MKK. Once a secure a partial bottle (should be here right after Xmas), I could forward you my sample if you'd like.
    Aren't you sweet - thanks for the offer, but my sample pile runneth over as we speak. Enjoy your sample!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Gee, Mike, I'm having a hard time telling whether you enjoyed yourself...

    What a nice summary of what was obviously a great afternoon for all. You sampled a bunch of scents that I'm completely unfamiliar with (and that leaves me jealous, of course). Conversely, I'm surprised that you had never tried Chergui until now. I guess even BN legends let a couple fall through the cracks once in a while!.

    May your bank account rest in peace.
    Thanks Snafoo - Scent Bar is great and yes even colognoisseurs like me have scents that I have not smelled. Too many scents...too little time!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    I'm hoping to meet some dutch basenoters when I'm in holland again, and I'm already trying to decide what to wear perfume wise. So much pressure!
    No pressure - go scentless and then spray with abandon when you meet up! That's what I did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    That sounds so much fun! I wish I could go. That place must be really cool. Then again, if I were to be able to sample all those rare scents all at once, I wouldn't have much cause to do research on BN
    It was fun - oddly, visits to Scent Bar has done nothing to shorten my excitement about Basenotes. Just makes it much more vivid and real when all of the scents that we discuss are literally a few feet in front of you. For a while, one gets a little 'deer-in-the-headlights' with all of those bottles. It really is like a kid in a candy store. Squee!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Nice rundown Mike!

    I just knew that the mintyness of Jade would tempt you. Would you say it was as transparent as you had first thought? Its a heck of a stayer on me... (my luckyscent sample vial did not do it justice, but when spritzed with an atomiser, I enjoyed it for a good 6 or 7 hours).

    I wasnt too keen on the whole Wode thing, until you mentioned its unusual flint accord. I am ALL about rocks and mineralic scents right now. Might have to give this a closer look.

    Thanks again!
    Jade is not as transparent as I thought would be D, I was expecting something minimal. It's rather sneezingly pungent at the top - and then metallic, soapy tea when it dries. Weird.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Thanks again for an enjoyable read!

    I just received a batch of samples from Lucky Scent which include the 3 Oliver Durbanos, 2 Profumums, 3 PGs, 1 Indult (Isvaraya), & Vetiver Dance. I think I'll be checking out Jade first.

    I remember how when I sampled Profumum's Thundra, it reminded me of Borneo 1834. Before I write any more, I'll just check what Lucky Scent says about it....."warm earthiness of patchouli" - Ah, there's the connection!

    That's really quite something you've managed to not sample Cherqui before having posted over 8000 on Basenotes!

  10. #10

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    I have the Bois 1920 Agrumi as well. I'm waiting for probably May at the earliest to wear it. It is a full-on citrus.

  11. #11

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Sounds like a fun trip. I wish I could have been there!

    Actually, it would be cool to see if something similar could be arranged with BC and Washington state Basenoters at the Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    - Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire I was so excited to finally try. What a bad iris scent - I thought it smelled like fruit punch and iris. It smelled granulated - like the sweet stuff inside of pixie sticks candies mixed with iris scented Febreze. So disappointed that I wasted half of my arm on that!
    I'm glad I didn't bother sampling this one!

    Besides that - it was neat introducing the ladies to many of the men’s scents and CdG scents that they’d never smelled before. Everyone shrieked at the smell of Tea (Series 1: Leaves) by CdG.
    Is the Leaves series still available? I've wanted to try Tea and Calamus for a while now, but I thought they were discontinued.

  12. #12

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    I agree with you on Equistrius. I hate that thing now.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Thanks again for an enjoyable read!

    I just received a batch of samples from Lucky Scent which include the 3 Oliver Durbanos, 2 Profumums, 3 PGs, 1 Indult (Isvaraya), & Vetiver Dance. I think I'll be checking out Jade first.

    I remember how when I sampled Profumum's Thundra, it reminded me of Borneo 1834. Before I write any more, I'll just check what Lucky Scent says about it....."warm earthiness of patchouli" - Ah, there's the connection!

    That's really quite something you've managed to not sample Cherqui before having posted over 8000 on Basenotes!
    Jade is so different than the other Durbano's and I respect it for that reason. I just couldn't shake the Nestea canned iced tea accord associations. I can't wait to try Thundra, if you're saying it's patchouli is like B1834. And yes, Chergui is all the more magical seeing that I waited this long to smell it. It was like putting on a well fitting, worn in pair of jeans. Instant comfort.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I have the Bois 1920 Agrumi as well. I'm waiting for probably May at the earliest to wear it. It is a full-on citrus.
    Agree - I put mine in the 'summer' rack of my closet. I'll probably wear it the 1st day of Spring. Quite zingy stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Sounds like a fun trip. I wish I could have been there!

    Is the Leaves series still available? I've wanted to try Tea and Calamus for a while now, but I thought they were discontinued.
    I wish you had been there too Galamb.

    Tea and Calamus (and Lily) are available. Only Shiso and Mint are dscontinued in Series 1.

    Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    I agree with you on Equistrius. I hate that thing now.
    Yeah all of us @ Basenotes hated it. Four thumbs down!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st November 2008 at 07:49 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Thanks for a great and inspiring read, Mike! Now.. did you happen to take any pictures or is that forbidden in the store?

    Has there ever been a Basenotes event like this in Europe? I would love to attend one..
    Last edited by Noalick; 21st November 2008 at 08:07 PM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

  15. #15

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Noalick, you and I should organise a Scandinavian one!

  16. #16

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    I just got my sample of Wode and put it on and I really like it. The first impression is that while the "idea" behind the whole spray can, blue liquid, may come off as daring the scent, certainly is not. It seems far more mainstream than I thought it would. But what matter the most to me is that this stuff smells really nice!

    Edit: I agree with Mike, I SOOOOO ge the weird stone note in there. Hmmmm very interesting.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 21st November 2008 at 08:30 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Lyric by Amouage (both the men’s and women’s) were OK, but nothing to write home about. They both quickly lost our interest. Lushshoup had already fallen in love with No. 88 and I...well, I don't need another ‘OK’ rose scent in my wardrobe.
    I much prefer Lyric Woman than Lyric Man. Lyric Woman starts as a good rose scent but turns to even better oriental base on me. Soft oriental woods with a subtle sweetness.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    - Jade by Olivier Durbano - the minty and grassy top notes are so incredible, I almost pulled out my credit card and bought it on the spot. But after 10-15 minutes or so, its strong metallic tea notes ramped up and ruined it for me (I kept envisioning canned iced tea soft drinks).
    Along with Dimitri, I thought you would like the mint note and accords. The metallic, synthetic aroma that follows the opening reminds me of the flavored syrups added to snow cones, or the smell of freezer pops. Canned iced tea is accurate as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    - Equistrius by Parfum d'Empire I was so excited to finally try. What a bad iris scent - I thought it smelled like fruit punch and iris. It smelled granulated - like the sweet stuff inside of pixie sticks candies mixed with iris scented Febreze. So disappointed that I wasted half of my arm on that!
    I suggested Equistrius to a young woman who has a very clean, powdery natural scent. It smelled incredible on her. It's definitely not for everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    - …. when I went to pick up my bottle on hold, of Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens.
    I like the sound of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    When Ashley packed up my scents, I asked for samples of: Baume du Doge by Eau d’Italie plus Ichnusa and Thundra by Profumum.
    Be sure to share your feedback about Baume au Doge and Thundra. Baume au Doge smells like citrus, woods, spices and a dash of vanilla with Bertrand Duchaufour's edgy, incense accord fingerprint. Curious to see how Thundra compares to Borneo.

  18. #18

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Everyone shrieked at the smell of Tea (Series 1: Leaves) by CdG. Such a harsh little scent, isn’t it?
    It starts off very harsh, but mellows into something very smokey and beautiful. A black tea scent IMO. I think you may have overlooked this one on the initial blast, so do try it again.

  19. #19

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Noalick, you and I should organise a Scandinavian one!
    Yes we SHOULD! Now, Copenhagen isn't a bad place at all... but let's brainstorm over the holidays and see where it lands.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

  20. #20
    Morning Star

    Astaroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,015

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    I wish I could have gone with you folks, since it sounds like it was great fun. Unfortunately the financial meltdown has caused my workload to periodically explode in unpredictable ways, so I frequently need to scuttle my plans.

    By the way, Mike, if you know you're going to be in the area and want to sample something on LuckyScent's website, you can always shoot them an email a day or two ahead of time and request that it be in the store. Franco is pretty good about that.

    You're right that Ashley is typically the picture of tolerance there. She has condoned me walking around the Scent Bar for literally hours at a time taking notes on fragrances. Angela (the non-Sunday SA) has done the same. I should be glad I don't know what either of them truly thinks about me.

  21. #21

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Mikeperez23, what a perfect account of our meeting! You remember all the scents we tested, and how long it took to commit to pull the trigger. The course of spraying became a bit of a blur for me at a certain point. Asha and I are still split on our experiences of Love Comes from Within. I'm willing to change my mind; I defer to her keener senses, but so far I think it leads towards "candle" after a couple of hours. I will definitely give it a second go.

    Oh, I thought I tried to warn you about Equistrius. I agree that it didn't deserve your precious skin-space.

    You didn't mention the metallic mustard glow of your rental car. Wode might do well bottling and selling that shade. Loved it.

    And I ordered a dec*nt of No. 88, by the way. It was love.

    It was such a pleasure to meet you--and it meant so much to me that you greeted me with such a warm welcoming hug. So much fun; I hope we can do it again when you're in town.

  22. #22

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Mike, we had a great time, and I really enjoyed reading your impressions of our scent party

    Yes, Equistrus. What a disappointment for the Parfum d'Empire line. I had already tried it from a sample, and was not impressed. But still, some things really change on different skin, so how could you know?

    Lushsoup, I agree that Love Comes from Within is a bit mediocre. I would not write it off completely, but it is definitely not FBW, I think. Maybe it is just enough to enjoy the sample.

    And I agree with Lushsoup--please let us know when you are back again, and we'll paint the town blue with Wode!!!
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd November 2008 at 04:31 AM.

  23. #23
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

    Soft leathery sugar.

    If someone could recapture those grass, medicinal almost sulphourous top notes into a scent all by itself and sell that - I'd buy it in a heartbeat! And the juice – it’s darkly aquatic in color: Wicked Witch of the East meets Scope mouthwash.

    It smelled granulated - like the sweet stuff inside of pixie sticks candies mixed with iris scented Febreze. So disappointed that I wasted half of my arm on that!

    It's a sturdy, very tart citrus. I fell in love with it again. This is not a winter scent and yet it still felt just right purchasing for the climate in Miami. It takes the concept of a gentleman's citrus eaux cologne, then modernizes it (think Colonia Assoluta by AdP), then brightens it.

    Everyone shrieked at the smell of Tea (Series 1: Leaves) by CdG. Such a harsh little scent, isn’t it?
    Even better than your single-scent reviews! Wow! Maybe not as good as being there, but I almost don't feel bad about missing it now. And I was LMAO at pixie sticks, too! Thanks, Mike. A great read.
    * * * *

  24. #24

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    Yes we SHOULD! Now, Copenhagen isn't a bad place at all... but let's brainstorm over the holidays and see where it lands.
    When!? When!? Perhaps I could make a reservation on "DANSKEBÅTEN" (the overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen).

  25. #25

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    When!? When!? Perhaps I could make a reservation on "DANSKEBÅTEN" (the overnight ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen).
    I think we will make a new thread about this, so we dont railroad Mike's thread here.
    Otherwise, we can discuss more in the Scandinavian Basenoters Group.

  26. #26

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Yes, it was great fun. I loved reading your account of the afternoon; it took me right back.

    I, too, fell in love with Chergui and it was my first time smelling it. It was the first thing I sprayed on my skin after all that time waiting for scents we thought worthy of that real estate. That was funny how we all cheered each time we took the plunge!

    I remember sniffing another couple of Profumum, too, but can't remember the one I really loved that smelled like fresh fennel and lemon. It's not foody or salad-y like it sounds, but pure sunshine - so good. mikeperez23, what is the name of that one? We talked about splitting a bottle come summer.

    We also had a few Parfumerie Generale out - Coze, Un Crime Exotique, Aomassai...on the strip Aomassai smelled just like butterscotch. I was going to try it on my skin to see what else would come of it but spared those in our group who were a bit nauseated by it - it's on the burner for next visit. On paper, Coze smelled like spicy caramel, but on my skin smelled more like spicy, bitter coffee - too bad.
    I was looking forward to trying the new PGs - Drama Nuui and Felanilla - and found they didn't have them in the store yet. Again, saved for next visit.

    I was a "good girl" and purchased only what I went to buy - a bottle of Serge Lutens Daim Blond. I really wanted that Chergui but picked up a sample for further investigation. Who am I kidding? I love this stuff; I'm wearing the sample today and am this '' close to ordering a bottle.
    Before Scent Bar, I went to Barneys and Neiman Marcus. At Neimans I picked up a longtime love (well, as long as the relatively short time it's been around), Tom Ford Amber Absolute.

    Anyway, it was such a pleasure hanging out and sniffing with asha, lushsoup and mikeperez23 and I hope to do it again in the future. Any other Basenoters should let us know when they plan to be in LA so we can have a Scent Bar adventure, too!

  27. #27

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    I expected to read the following headline:
    4 Rogue Basenoters Take To LA Streets And Spritz Strangers!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd November 2008 at 06:46 PM.

  28. #28

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    I hate Chergui, by the way.

  29. #29
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    Thanks for a great and inspiring read, Mike! Now.. did you happen to take any pictures or is that forbidden in the store?
    Scent Bar is totally OK with us taking pics inside...they're extremely laid back and cool. We were just so busy sniffing, none of us remembered to snap some pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I just got my sample of Wode and put it on and I really like it. The first impression is that while the "idea" behind the whole spray can, blue liquid, may come off as daring the scent, certainly is not. It seems far more mainstream than I thought it would. But what matter the most to me is that this stuff smells really nice!

    Edit: I agree with Mike, I SOOOOO ge the weird stone note in there. Hmmmm very interesting.
    Because they only had the Wode with Paint in the store, Ashley couldn't decant any for me (or her fingers would've turned blue) so I am going to have to buy a decant of it, so I can sample it myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    I much prefer Lyric Woman than Lyric Man. Lyric Woman starts as a good rose scent but turns to even better oriental base on me. Soft oriental woods with a subtle sweetness.

    Along with Dimitri, I thought you would like the mint note and accords. The metallic, synthetic aroma that follows the opening reminds me of the flavored syrups added to snow cones, or the smell of freezer pops. Canned iced tea is accurate as well.

    Be sure to share your feedback about Baume au Doge and Thundra. Baume au Doge smells like citrus, woods, spices and a dash of vanilla with Bertrand Duchaufour's edgy, incense accord fingerprint. Curious to see how Thundra compares to Borneo.
    I will try the woman's Lyric sloan - you and I share an affinity for many of the same rose scents.

    The Jade did have that sugary, high fructose corn syrup sweetness to it - now that you mention it.

    sloan - do you think Baume du Doge smells at all like the new Aedes that Dachaufour did for L'Artisan?

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    It starts off very harsh, but mellows into something very smokey and beautiful. A black tea scent IMO. I think you may have overlooked this one on the initial blast, so do try it again.
    Oh actually I love Tea nsamadi - I can't wait to own a bottle. I was just kind of giving the girls a taste of what some weird CdG scents smell like. We also smelled on strips Soda and Skai. And I brought my bottle of H&M to Scent Bar with me, so they could all smell it. Everyone said they could smell the connection between H&M and Soda and Skai. Even Ashley from Scent Bar agreed.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd November 2008 at 04:57 AM.

  30. #30
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,711

    Default Re: 3 gals + hundreds of scents + mikeperez23. Stir! Basenotes @ Scent Bar 11-08

    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I wish I could have gone with you folks, since it sounds like it was great fun. Unfortunately the financial meltdown has caused my workload to periodically explode in unpredictable ways, so I frequently need to scuttle my plans.
    I know I missed you Astaroth - next time!

    Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    You didn't mention the metallic mustard glow of your rental car. Wode might do well bottling and selling that shade. Loved it.

    And I ordered a dec*nt of No. 88, by the way. It was love.

    It was such a pleasure to meet you--and it meant so much to me that you greeted me with such a warm welcoming hug. So much fun; I hope we can do it again when you're in town.
    I forgot to mention it. WHAT the hell was that color? Yes I think mustard glow about sums it up. More like metallic vomit. Ech...it was quite dastardly looking, but it did garner lots of strange looks on the freeway.

    Great meeting you too E. I'm just a hugger - guess it's my Latin roots. And yes, next time I'm in LA, you'll be the 1st to know!

    Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Mike, we had a great time, and I really enjoyed reading your impressions of our scent party

    And I agree with Lushsoup--please let us know when you are back again, and we'll paint the town blue with Wode!!!
    I will def' let you know when I'm back - sniffing with you ladies was what makes coming to a site like Basenotes worth while. Here online we can only interact so much. In person, it's pretty intense meeting other like minded perfumistas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Even better than your single-scent reviews! Wow! Maybe not as good as being there, but I almost don't feel bad about missing it now. And I was LMAO at pixie sticks, too! Thanks, Mike. A great read.
    Thanks Red. Its nice to know that my 'trailer trash' descriptions are appreciated.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

    You begin to awaken"

    -- Eckhart Tolle

Similar Threads

  1. Best Sandalwood
    By Vibrant_Violet in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 237
    Last Post: 21st June 2014, 04:03 PM
  2. Vetiver Redux-Update (five new scents added!)
    By wicozani in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 3rd May 2012, 09:14 PM
  3. MUST HAVE SUMMER SCENTS: Signoricci
    By scenteur7 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 8th June 2006, 01:25 AM
  4. REVIEW: Miller Harris launches 2 NEW Scents
    By scenteur7 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th August 2005, 05:50 PM
  5. The Perception of Scent
    By milamber in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5th July 2005, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •