Code of Conduct

Question Scent for my teenage son

Perhaps there is already a discussion on this in the archives, but I was unable to readily access one. In any case, here is my dilemma:
    My charming, creative, handsome fourteen year old son has developed an interest in "smelling good" (which is wonderful considering his pre-adolescent disdain for showers ). Currently, however his fragrance preferences are Axe and some dreadful stuff called Old Spice Red (or some such nonsense). In either case, he is totally frying my sinuses with this stuff. My husband suggested he try out some of his stuff (Lanvin, Creed's Himalaya, or Acqua di Parma), but our son said he didn't want to smell like his dad.
    I would be so grateful for some guidance and direction here. What are some less expensive, handsome smelling, yet youthful fragrances that I might steer him towards?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Scent for my teenage son

Your husband has good taste. If he is 14 yrs old I wouldn't start him on expensive "Niche" scents. I would go with
    Issey Miyake
    Fahrenheit
    Aqua di Gio
    Eternity

Also remind him less is more

Now, I am going to do something a little different here, this is an important question, so I am not going to suggest Armani Code, Issey Miyake, Aqua di Gio, Farenheit, 212, or any other cliche scents for a 14 year old kid. You came to BN asking for advice so we owe you a little more insight then to just suggest the aforementioned frags. Also, many teenagers his age will recognize these and the idea is to have your son smell unique and confident w/o smelling like Dad. Here are a few scents that are wonderful, youthful, fresh, and definately will not leave him smelling like Dad:***

1-Opium, EDP or EDT
    2-Polo, Double Black
    3-Burberry, Brit

Please try these, as I have put some thought into this and I think they will work very well.

***Also, I am not going to suggest some niche fragrances bc they will be difficult for you to find and super pricey. The frags that I sugest are readily accessible and reasonably priced.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd November 2008 at 03:26 AM.

Wonderful, gentlemen! Thank you for taking it seriously because he does care about his appearance (now) and is highly observant on all levels. Also, fragrance is such a wonderful statement about one's individuality and I think he is on the cusp of understanding that.

It seems a visit to Sephora might be in order for this weekend. I'll tell him he can scope out the teenage girls... Actually, all kidding aside, it helps a great deal to have a list in hand to sample first.

I appreciate your thoughts and am open to any other ideas.

The first thing that popped into my head is Swiss Army Classic Cologne. If you have a Kohl's near you, it's readily available there and can be had for cheap with one of their usual % off sales.

They have a gift set right now which includes a 3.4 oz bottle and stick deodorant.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/beau...e+Gift+Set.jsp

I don't think a lot of people on this forum like it, but to me it's quite clean and refreshing without being terribly overpowering. And it definitely smells youthful to me.

Polo black is also very good. If your going to sephora you may want to try Marc Jacobs. Not one of my favorites but I always get complimented when wearing this.

I'd try:

YSL L'Homme (cool bottle too)
    Polo Double Black
    Bvlgari Black (very cool bottle, and very different, avant garde for a teen)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Thumbs up Re: Scent for my teenage son

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Wonderful, gentlemen! Thank you for taking it seriously because he does care about his appearance (now) and is highly observant on all levels. Also, fragrance is such a wonderful statement about one's individuality and I think he is on the cusp of understanding that.

It seems a visit to Sephora might be in order for this weekend. I'll tell him he can scope out the teenage girls... Actually, all kidding aside, it helps a great deal to have a list in hand to sample first.

I appreciate your thoughts and am open to any other ideas.
    I think Euphoria for men by Calvin Klein is a pretty good one.

Caron L'Anarchiste
    I find it youthful with just enough class
    The bottle is ultra-cool, and I can almost guarantee that none of the other kids have it

Danny, the Attorney, is a sage madam.....Polo Double Black and Opium EDT are two fine classy choices.
    jerry

Blog Entries

Sephora is an excellent place to take him. Lots of great scents, knowledgeable staff, and you can try every single scent in the men's section without feeling the least big guilty. I highly recommend that over a more traditional perfume counter at this stage.

My boy gets a little nervous going in there with me sometimes - not sure if it's being with the old man, or the relative absence of other men, or being surrounded by attractive women. If your son is uncomfortable going in there with you, you may want to give him the alternative of going there with Dad, or with his friends. Also, be sure he doesn't just grab something and run out. He needs to take his time.

Good suggestions above. Let us know what he gets!

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I would be so grateful for some guidance and direction here. What are some less expensive, handsome smelling, yet youthful fragrances that I might steer him towards?
    Thank you.
    Before I offer any suggestions it would help to get an idea of his personal style.

I any case I would stay away from Fahrenheit (a horrid green frag with a note that smells like gasoline and motor oil), and Acqua di Gio (its not bad but it as it is so popular it lacks any individuality).
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Victory League by Adidas. Less than $10 per 100 ml and not overpowering.

I'd push toward the new Guerlain Homme.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Le Roy Soleil Homme by Salvador Dali might be a good pick.
    It smells great, isn't too 'out there', everyone and their brother doesn't know about it, let alone where it, and it can be found very cheap online.
    Last edited by ajmc; 22nd November 2008 at 06:24 AM.

TDH i wore that in HS!
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I'd strongly suggest YSL L'Homme.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

yatagan caron. it's joke
    i think may be hugo from hugo boss (teenage like it), or givenchy PH
    Last edited by Aromabar; 22nd November 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Basenotes Plus

How about any of the Tommy Bahamas, Set Sail St Barts would be good!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Get him Versace Blue Jeans. Clean but distinctive profile, and relatively easy on the budget.

I believe he would like Diesel Fuel for Life Homme.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Caron L'Anarchiste
    I find it youthful with just enough class
    The bottle is ultra-cool, and I can almost guarantee that none of the other kids have it
    Manuel's recommendation of L'Anarchiste is spot on! I also agree wholeheartedly with TheAttorney's principles.

At your son's age this brooding teenager was wearing Devin, by Aramis, but that was when dinosaurs roamed the earth. For distinctive, yet readily available scents for young men, I'd also suggest Beyond Paradise for Men, The Third Man, Eau d'Orange Vert, and Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 22nd November 2008 at 09:16 PM.

I will recomend Lacoste pour homme
    Lacoste Essential
    Chanel Allure Sport
    Joop Jump
    Dolce & Gabbana Masculine

If he sould try one of the classics, i would suggest Jaipur Homme. He will definitive be a star among his friends, and get lots of respect wearing this one.

Opium?? On a 14 year old?? No way! This one belongs to the men with elegance and a stylish outfit. This one sepatates the men from the boys!

Blog Entries

YLS L'Homme
    Versace Pour Homme (the new one in the blue bottle)
    L'eau Par Kenzo
    Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue
    Old Spice OS Signature (a lot of surprisingly positive reviews on this)
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Kenneth Cole Black
    Lacoste Red
    Lacoste Essential
    Hugo XY
    John Varvatos
    Diesel Fuel For Life

If you have a Perfumania around, the Lacoste, Kenneth Cole, and Hugo stuff is buy one get one for $9.99. You can start him off with 2 of those at a really low cost.

yeah i reccomend chanel allure sport aswell, beaitfaul and very youthful and fresh. as i am 16 i will name my fragrance list, the ones which get me good reactions anyway.
    drakkar noir(very nice)
    dolce and gabbana pour homme(more for the night if he needs it)
    chanel allure(he will most likely love this)
    maybe dior homme aswell,
    just try lots and the assistants could have good advice aswell, dont go issey miyake or something, too common. gd lk.

Versace The Dreamer and Bvlgari Aqua would work well form teens to early 20's. IN his case, it might behoove him to smell a little bit older as most of the girls his age, have a crush on the guys a couple grades ahead of them.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Gucci by Gucci
    D&G The One
    Burberry London

Chrome - Azzaro
    Happy - Clinique
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

One of the Nautica scents
    One of the Tommy Hilfiger scents
    One of the Tommy Bahama scents

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Manuel's recommendation of L'Anarchiste is spot on! I also agree wholeheartedly with TheAttorney's principles.

At your son's age this brooding teenager was wearing Devin, by Aramis, but that was when dinosaurs roamed the earth. For distinctive, yet readily available scents for young men, I'd also suggest Beyond Paradise for Men, The Third Man, Eau d'Orange Vert, and Guerlain's Eau de Cologne Imperiale.
    Agreed but beyond paradise is $285.00 but Vibert is spot on as this is a gorgeous scent and he would blow ppl away with this!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 23rd November 2008 at 03:08 AM.

I might try Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude (the 1 oz. size is only $33). My 20 year old brother in law wears it, and his 18 year old girlfriend purchased it. I like it.
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

Well obviously these all must be great suggestions. But I'm 18, I just got out of high school. Obviously he would smell like half the guys at school, but Abercrombie&Fitch Fierce is a guaranteed hit with the ladies his age. They are head over heels for that stuff. It has amazing sillage and lasts all day.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Agreed but beyond paradise is $285.00 but Vibert is spot on as this is a gorgeous scent and he would blow ppl away with this!
    Whoah!

Lauder's Beyond Paradise for Men runs about $50 a bottle retail. You must be thinking about oine of the By Killian niche scents with the "Paradise this" or "Paradise that" names...

Beyond Paradise smelt like slightly fruity bug-spray when I sprayed it on. I think this is definitely one you need to try before you buy, and may be risky. Smelling like RAID bugspray is not a good thing for a teenager.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Diesel Fuel for Life and Polo Double Black sound like good recommendations to me..

You all have been so wonderful in your suggestions. Thank you for your thoughtful responses. Unfortunately, a last minute "date" (my word, not his) to the movies with a girl preempted any shopping this weekend. However, I think that might be a good thing so I can preview a few fragrances ahead of shopping day and do a little judicious editing of the list.

As for the question about what kind of guy he is- he is artistic but very in control. He would like to be an urban planner or architect when he grows up and is passionate about good design in all facets. Actually, the bottle will have a lot to do with what he chooses. Definitely Mac over PC. He likes music and even thinks some of my 80s stuff is "cool in a retro way." He cares about how he looks and good grooming. All in all he is a really cool kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Whoah!

Lauder's Beyond Paradise for Men runs about $50 a bottle retail. You must be thinking about oine of the By Killian niche scents with the "Paradise this" or "Paradise that" names...
    Ooops. LOL. Yep, you are, in fact, correct.

Make sure he tests Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte.

I just had the opportunity to sample United Colours of Benetton Man. This could be just what you are looking for. It is smells good and is not too overpowering, perfectly suited for a young man. As an added bonus the bottle is really cool.
    Last edited by surreality; 26th November 2008 at 10:16 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

anything from the Armani line should suit him well. especially, Mania & Black Code

I use:

Cool Water
    Hugo Boss
    L'eau D'issey
    Bulgari Pour Homme

Terre d'Hermes is good also, Opium PH is a good bet, but if I were you I'd take him to Sephora's. It's a great place to sample all kinds of scents, and hopefully he'll like at least one of them.