Code of Conduct

Default Calling all amber lovers

I've discovered I have acquired a lust for amber.
    That warm, buttery, caramelly amber I get in the base of D&G Pour Homme and By Man.
    I also get it in Eternity, when my nose is behaving itself. When my nose is not behaving itself, it gives me a hint of burnt rubber. I find this a lot with CK frags (and others) containing an 'amber' note.
    I NEED to extract the amber base from D&G Pour Homme and amplify it a bit and put it in a bottle.
    Obviously I can't do that! So, what existing designer or 'niche' frags would come close to what I'm looking for?

I've tried Gaultier^2 and love it. I will probably purchase it in the Christmas sales, although it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
    I've ordered L'Occitane's Ambre EDT.
    I'm aware of Ambre Precieux and Ambre Sultan, although I've not tried either.

It's the warm, buttery, caramelly thing. Not too sweet and not overly camouflaged with extraneous materials!

Default Re: Calling all amber lovers

Definitely try the MPG. Tom Ford's Ambre Absolute is about the only TF I can wear, and I really quite like it, though it may be drier and more incense-y than you'd like, and it's got a fairly formal air about it, IMO.

I very much like the very new (to me) Geisha Noire by Aroma M and Ambre Noir by Sonoma Scent Studio: the former has a very gourmand feel to it, very warm and rich, just enough sweetness and just plain comforting. The latter is a bit dirtier, with noticable - but not at all too heavy - musk. That, the ver smooth amber and rich gourmandy spices create an incredible fragrance.
    New site for my available dec^H^H^Hsplits: http://www.badgerdecants.com

Although its more about the ambergris than straight up amber, give Profumum Fiori d'Ambra a try, you won't be disappointed.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

MPG, Ambre Precieux is the best amber IMHO, it is wonderful. Definately straight amber, but definately not boring.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd November 2008 at 05:41 AM.

Blog Entries

I'd say that Ambre Precieux might be your ticket. I love it. It's clean and pure with the amber thing. None of the burnt stuff - just carmelized. I only have a sample now, but it's FBW.

L'Artisan, Ambre Extreme is pretty good too but it is pretty straight amber, a little boring IMHO. Not as deep, rich, and clean as Ambre Precieux. YOu have to be careful with these ambers bc some smell almost dirty.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 22nd November 2008 at 05:43 AM.

Are you sure that you're not getting confused with the tobacco thing in the base of D&G Homme?

I suggest checking out the following very ambery scents which to my mind are as close as you are going to get to the strength of niche ambres - Black XS (just give it an hour for the other stuff to clear out) and Ed Hardy Man (currently A$70 for a big 100mm bottle at My Chemist) and Paco Rabanne 1 Million (A$76 at My Chemist). Most everyone here disagrees with me, but Ed Hardy Man in particular seems very reminiscent to me of the niche ambres I've tried.

Unfortunately, it now transpires that amber sends my wife into sneezing episodes - which is why I haven't bought the last two I nominated above.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 22nd November 2008 at 05:51 AM.

Don't rule out Estee Lauder's Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang. Mikeperez23 gives a great review here. It bridges gender-typing. Other beloved ambers are Amber Sultan (Serge Lutens), and Ambre Russe (Parfum d'Empire), other than those mentioned above. I think Hermessence's Ambre Narguile will be too sweet for you, but it's always worth a sniff. I'm sure you'll get more suggestions.

Luca Turin gives Belle en Rykiel an excellent review and says it can be worn by a man. I then was able to get a bottle at a low price, and it may be what you are seeking. It starts off sweet, but ends with a woody amber which retains some of that earlier sweetness.

Join the club Trufflehunter! My favorites are: Ambre Sultan (everyone needs to try this once), Amber Absolute (Tom Ford) and I also get wonderful amber notes in Montale's Patchouli Patch (it's basically half patch and half amber), and Bois 1920 Real Patchouly (which is reminiscent of Ambre Sultan with a load of patchouli woven in).

While I agree that Tom Ford's Amber is fantastic, don't leave out Ambre Sultan. I don't have my sample anymore, but I remember it as a smouldering amber.

"It's the warm, buttery, caramelly thing..."

That description reminds me of one fragrance most of all - Michael Storer's Winter Star ( I realize I've probably been hyping this fragrance a little too much lately, but it's a great fragrance all the same ).

I'd also second Amber Sultan. Another excellent amber is Ambre Russe, though it's winey and boozy too, which may not be to everyone's taste.

Balmain's Ambre Gris is a wonderfully honey-like amber too. Definitely worth sourcing cheaply on the net.

Wow! I post this message, disappear for about an hour, come back to find 12 responses! Thanks everyone, your ideas have given me a lot to think about. I just hope I don't end up with ten different ambers in my collection as I get consumed by the search! That, of course, would not be a BAD thing, just an EXPENSIVE one.

MPG's Ambre Precieux and Tom Ford's Ambre Absolut in particular sound promising. God, I forgot all about L'Air du desert marocain! Winter Star and Balmain's Ambre Gris grab me too. So there's five already... <check bank account>oh dear</check bank account>...

Blog Entries

L'Artisan L'eau d'Ambre is a pretty good warm and "gourmandish" amber scent. It doesn't get as much love as the other L'Artisans, but is definitely worth it. Another smooth Amber is Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Ambre Russe is a little on the sweet/feminine side but I can see you liking it from your "warm, buttery" description.

My go-to's:

MPG Ambre Precieux--starts sweet, becomes more woody and dry
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe--leather, smoke, tobacco, amber, tea
    Profumum Ambra Aurea--patchouli, incense and sweet amber
    Bois 1920--patchouli amber with what seems to be a light leather note, a little drier than those above
    Guerlain Shalimar--doesn't start amber, but ends up there, and is gorgeous

I think these have promise, but I have not fully tested:

Montale Patchouli Leaves
    Montale Blue Amber

And for designer frags, D&G The One for women and Prada for women both have pretty good amber dry-downs. I found Balmain Ambre Gris to smell like hairspray, so at least try before you buy on that one.
    Last edited by Asha; 22nd November 2008 at 02:42 PM.

I am also an amber lover and, if I had to choose only one for the rest of my life, it would be Ambre Russe. Everyone has mentioned all the other major ambers out there, but you must also play with Ava Luxe's ambers, especially Ambra Tibet.

Blue Amber is definitely a warm amber, not so sure about the buttery aspect though. All in all it is a very good amber with hints of vetiver in the heart and basenotes. If amber is what you are after than this is a must try.

Amber Sultan, I think the amount of info about this frag on BN speaks for itself, another amber that amber lovers need to try.

My favorite amber at the moment is Ambre 114. It is a spicy warm amber that lasts forever and strikes an almost perfect balance between spice and sweet. Absolutely one of the best ambers on the market and a very wearable fragrance.

Ava Luxe's Ambra Tibet is also a great amber scent as is Amber Essence.
    Last edited by surreality; 23rd November 2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

My fav is Ambre Sultan although amber precieux sounds interesting!

Interesting this was posted

Today I am wearing as a sample I got

Tom Ford Absolute Amber

i think this is probably my first real amber that I am aware of, the great thing is the sample they gave me at Bergdorf was 4ml so I get to really get a good full sample wearings to really experience it
    Last edited by denec; 21st July 2009 at 03:30 AM.

I'm thinking you might like Sage Machado Amber Oil.

I really love all kinds of amber scents. Sometimes I want a leathery amber, other times a dirty amber, powdery amber or a light, airy amber.

These are the ambers I can't imagine being without: Ann Pliska, Annayake Miyako, Calypso Ambre, Caravelle Epicee, Christiano Fissore Cashmere PH, Fifi, Galimard Rannan, Geisha Noire, Giorgio Armani Prive Ambre Soie, I Profumi di Firenze Ambra del Nepal, L'Artisan Parfumeur Ambre Extreme, Mazzolari Patchouli, Montale Blue Amber, Parfumerie Generale Cedre Sandaraque, Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe, Profumum Alba, Profumum Ambra Aurea, Profumum Fiore d'Ambra, Sage Amber, Nemat Amber Musk, E Marinella Ambr Royale, Padparadscha, Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Cuir Mauresque, Patyka Ambre, Ambre Precieux, Etro Amber

since I like Tom Ford Amber I would like to try Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan this next since i hear so much about it and compare

Aside from the Balmain Ambre Gris recommendation I made earlier, I have to suggest Mandini's Amber oil - very thick, warm and moreish!

I like amber-based fragrances to a point, but if they get too sweet, like Montale's Blue Amber or TF's Amber Absolute, I get turned off.

I've recently samples one of the best ambers I've experienced. Farmacia Nunziata dal 1561 Ambra Nera (avail at luckyscent). It's rich and full without getting sickly sweet.

Amber is also my weakness.
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Prada's Amber Pour Homme. I'm not sure about the "buttery" quality you mentioned, but it's excellent and easy to find. The original Youth Dew bath oil is also a quintessential amber and is about $15 for a small bottle.
    As far as my favorite amber goes, nothing has replaced Montale's Blue Amber yet. Annick Goutal's new Ambre Fetiche, loads of incense, is probably the best new amber I've come across.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd November 2008 at 07:05 PM.

You're all wicked, incorrigible people! You've just forced me, much against my will, to place an online order at the Tauer website for a bottle of L'Air du Désert Marocain. Will you not rest until you have driven me to abject poverty? Sheesh!
    thanks everyone!

Dirty English by Juicy Couture has a great warm, sensual amber in its basenotes.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 22nd November 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Off-Scenter

I'd recommend Ambre Precieux and Ambre Sultan without even a second thought. I can't recall another amber fragrance that compares with these two in terms of quality and distinction. Both are "must try" scents for lovers of amber.

Tom Ford's version is one my wish list and I love the evolution of amber, vanilla, and incense.

Serge Luten's is good, but "sultan" is not correctly used here.

Its my understanding that Micallef's Note Ambree is pretty darn good too.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

If interested trufflehunter, I've just posted a new blog on Ambre Gris.
    Please follow the link in my signature

I have to say the longevity of Tom Ford Absolute Amber is amazing over 24 hours now

Wonderful recs for Amber scents here, for sure.

I didn't see it listed above, but if you can find it or are willing to pay the price, I find Armani Prive's Ambre Soie to be unbeatable in terms of its deep, silky richness. I LOVE Ambre Russe, too, and find it to be a good alternative if you can't stomach the price of the Armani (and, really, I can't!)... but it really is a wonderful one and essential at least to sample for the Amber-lover's wardrobe.

Another neat one would be the "non-Creed" creed classic, Ambre Canelle. Spicy, sultry, and even dirty in a way uncharacteristic of Creed, it's one that might surprise you.

A polar opposite in the genre from the Parfum d'empire or the Armani would be something like the giant 300ml "splash" of Amber by Marc Jacobs. It's surprisingly light and warm, not as full on amber as some of the others, but still an interesting one to try if some of the more "substantial" ambers seem too heavy on you. I've got a gigantic bottle of this, so if you have trouble finding some but want to try it, PM me and I'd be happy to send you some to try.

One more in the "lighter" amber area would be l'eau d'ambre by L'artisan Parfumeur.
    Last edited by rach2jlc; 24th November 2008 at 12:03 AM.
    Is there any point in saying everything? -Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    If interested trufflehunter, I've just posted a new blog on Ambre Gris.
    Please follow the link in my signature
    I enjoyed your review. I bought Ambre Gris a few months ago and it has become one of my favorite every day scents. I was lucky to get it for less than $30.00. I think this is the best blind buy I have made.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Another smooth Amber is Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche.
    Ah, Mudassir beat me to it. This is the only amber-centered fragrance I own (so far ), and personally I think it is superior to Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. That might just be because Camille Goutal and Isabelle Doyen decided to keep the vanilla under wraps and throw in some smoky Russian leather, which complements the rest of the fragrance perfectly. They also manage to hold the patchouli down to a low boil, which is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 24th November 2008 at 12:32 AM.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    You're all wicked, incorrigible people! You've just forced me, much against my will, to place an online order at the Tauer website for a bottle of L'Air du Désert Marocain. Will you not rest until you have driven me to abject poverty? Sheesh!
    thanks everyone!
    For me, L'Air du Désert Marocain actually won out over Annick Goutal Sables, which I did not expect since I'm a huge fan of Annick Goutal fragrances. I think most people would admit that this is currently Andy's most probable magnum opus.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 24th November 2008 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I enjoyed your review. I bought Ambre Gris a few months ago and it has become one of my favorite every day scents. I was lucky to get it for less than $30.00. I think this is the best blind buy I have made.
    Thanks Arwen_Elf...
    I also strongly recommend it and am growing more excited about it day by day.